For HDTV Owners...

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
A quick question. OK, if you have an HDTV, with regular cable, can you still watch broadcast programs on stations like ABC, NBC, etc. in HD (when it says it's being broadcast in HD)?I'm in the market for a new TV and was wondering what ya'll know about it or things I should be aware of in the process of making a purchase decision.Any suggestions?Thanks.

Comments

• Yeah HD sets are always going to be backwards compatible with regular cable. You'll just be able to see the static/noise/graininess in FULL HIGH DEFINITION!!!

But yeah. You're fine.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    A quick question. OK, if you have an HDTV, with regular cable, can you still watch broadcast programs on stations like ABC, NBC, etc. in HD (when it says it's being broadcast in HD)?

Nope.

You need to have an HD/HDMI cable box. It's not so bad where I live (like $4 more a month), but then you have to buy an HD cable for the cable box to TV which can cost a grip depending on what kind you get.

From Scientific Atlanta

Did you know that watching high-definition takes more than just an HDTV set?

True high-definition also requires an HD signal, an HD cable box, and tuning in to the right HD channel. With the right pieces put together, you will witness a major transformation in video quality between regular standard-definition TV and high-definition TV.

I would wait until they get all that shit figured out. It really wasn't worth it to me and I can't really tell the difference because only select channels broadcast in HD.

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    day, you got an HDTV recently? Would you have made a different decision on it? My current set is really old and has been giving me some problems, so it's time to upgrade. I don't see myself buying a different TV after this new one for many years, so I want to at least be able to grow into it. At least DVDs will look better.

Anybody else have some advice?

• Yo I think there's some confusion here (obviously... lol)

Are you wondering if you can watch REGULAR CABLE stations on the HD television??

Or if you need anything OTHER than an HD television to watch tv in HD??

Yo I think there's some confusion here (obviously... lol)

Are you wondering if you can watch REGULAR CABLE stations on the HD television??

If I need anything other than an HD television to watch TV in HD.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    If you do decide to buy an HDTV go with one that has DLP to avoid "burn in". Since 90 percent of the TV broadcasts are still in standard video and not high definition the non-DLP wide screen format TV's will get burn in because the standard video is does not fit the screen entirely. After getting burn in you'll see that the sides of your screen will be lighter or darker than the center area of the screen where the standard video is showing most of the time. Non-DLP TV's definitely cost less but in the end you get what you pay for. I learned all of this the hard way. My 57" Sony got burn in within about a month. DOH!

http://www.dlp.com/

-billb

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Yo I think there's some confusion here (obviously... lol)

If I need anything other than an HD television to watch TV in HD.

You need an HD Cable box and the correct cable to connect to your TV. Typically cable company will provide you with a composite (RGB) cable and opt to sell you an HDMI cable. Composite cables work just fine though.

• Yeah HD sets are always going to be backwards compatible with regular cable. You'll just be able to see the static/noise/graininess in FULL HIGH DEFINITION!!!

Not exactly on that one too. Resolution stays the same, it's just larger. HD, on the other hand, is an all-or-nothing proposition, which is the problem with transmitting HD over regular airwaves. There's none of the "kinda sorta" reception most people are used to with regular TV; you either get HD transmissions perfectly or you just don't get them.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    day, you got an HDTV recently? Would you have made a different decision on it? My current set is really old and has been giving me some problems, so it's time to upgrade. I don't see myself buying a different TV after this new one for many years, so I want to at least be able to grow into it. At least DVDs will look better.

Anybody else have some advice?

Drew, I would still recommend getting one because it seems to be the way things are moving (HD/Digital). It wasn't a bad investment, the TV we had was ancient so anything was better than that, but for me being someone who doesn't watch too much TV it was kind of like "ok, so this is it?". There's just a lot of hype surrounding it. And it is better, don't get me wrong, but I've had everything from a shitty b/w TV to no cable so I'm not too picky.
    I think you should you go for it, just research it all first to make the best decision.

Hope that helps.

Definitely helps.

Thanks, fellas.