Portable Turntable Revisited

DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
i've seen the debates but no real consensus....so which is it? vestax or numark? or is there another one i should be checking for?my mommies getting me one for my birfday.

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    my mommies getting me one for my birfday.

• i have the pt-01. i like it. the tone arm is solid, the platter is kinda heavvy, yet the whole thing fits in a crate/record bag. and it's cheaper than the vestax. 33/45/78, tone and pitch control, rca out, 1/4 inc hand mini headphone jacks (i think), runs off AC power or i believe 6 C batteries. can't really go wrong with either in my opinion, but the numark is more compact and modern(?).

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    The only big difference is with the speakers. The pt-101 isn't as powerful as the Vestex.

That being said, the pt-101 seems more sturdy, has a better shape, and looks cooler. I think overall the pt-101 wins.

Are there any newer models in creation?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I dislike the Vestax very much, feels like the tonearms gunna snap, too big, bulky, bad sound...

Numark is ok.

But the killer for me is the trusty Columbia GP-3... very sturdy, LOUD and I'm used to it, thats probably why I'm biased...

peace.

But the killer for me is the trusty Columbia GP-3... very sturdy, LOUD and I'm used to it, thats probably why I'm biased...

Plus -- and this is even cooler -- the turntable comes with a clamp so that you can actually play records upside down. You can even hang the record player on the wall -- and play records that way!

Is this for real? I can finally do my anti-gravity digging?

Next stop... THE MOON!

• GP-3 downside is the mono output...mono output in one channel.
    If you're using headphones, it would be best to do some modifications and connect the signal to both headphone channels.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    so which is it? vestax or numark?

I got the numark and while i am ok with the quality of the needle, speaker and the motor, i really dislike the lock mechanism as this fucking thing breaks very easily. mine is broken and i still have to fix it. just too much little plastic ish....

• chasechase 767 Posts
    so which is it? vestax or numark?

I got the numark and while i am ok with the quality of the needle, speaker and the motor, i really dislike the lock mechanism as this fucking thing breaks very easily. mine is broken and i still have to fix it. just too much little plastic ish....

Mine has not broken off, but I have to contently bend it back to lock.

Other then that it is a good little table, I do all my sampling with it. My 1200 plus mixer takes up a little to much real-estate on the desk.

• my mommies getting me one for my birfday.

my mother just got me a Numark PT01 for christmas..

• Vestax for me, got it not long after they first came out and no complaints at all...

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

that's what i'm saying. guess homeboy didn't get enough hugs from his.

thanx for the info fellas...sounds like numark is the sound choice.

• what is the best for space for long players?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    what is the best for space for long players?

wha? records?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

No, I just bought my PT-01 myself, with my own money. I wouldn't want to put my mother out, especially because I am better off financially than her. Big boys buy their own toys.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

No, I just bought my PT-01 myself, with my own money. I wouldn't want to put my mother out, especially because I am better off financially than her. Big boys buy their own toys.

she saw me looking at one last time she came to visit and brought it up. thus, the whole "birthday" thing. its a gift.

• which portable works best for playing lps 12" in diameter, placement on the table considered?

• my mommies getting me one for my birfday.

I'm only 18..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    GP3 or die!!!

• Vestax for me, got it not long after they first came out and no complaints at all...

• Plus -- and this is even cooler -- the turntable comes with a clamp so that you can actually play records upside down. You can even hang the record player on the wall -- and play records that way!

Next stop... THE MOON!

Be sure to hit up the secret spot in the western corner of the taurintius crater. Turn left at the appalonius and follow my footprints. The adidas ones...

- J

Plus -- and this is even cooler -- the turntable comes with a clamp so that you can actually play records upside down. You can even hang the record player on the wall -- and play records that way!

Next stop... THE MOON!

Be sure to hit up the secret spot in the western corner of the taurintius crater. Turn left at the appalonius and follow my footprints. The adidas ones...

- J

• I just got a Numark a couple of months back and I'm content with it. Sure, the speaker could be louder and the headphone jack is hissy, but otherwise, no complaints.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    GP-3 downside is the mono output...mono output in one channel.
    If you're using headphones, it would be best to do some modifications and connect the signal to both headphone channels.

You can do that or get an adapter at radio shack for a couple bucks which takes the mono output and puts it on both channels of the headphone. Not true stereo but its good enough to just listen to a record.

High emphasis on a Columbia just cause they are VERY durable and VERY loud. I have played around with Vestax and Numarks and they both seem like toys to me compared to the Columbia. I got a Japanese Columbia on ebay but mine never came with the clip so I don't have the luxury of playing records on the moon. djsheep...you got any extra clips?

I also saw once a Columbia portable mixer which was about the same size as the turntable. Never seen one in person...but kind of a cool idea...

Soundburger anyone? If you really have a lot of loot...Soundburgers are dope. Some even come with casette decks built in where you can record right on the fly. Plus they have the coolest names.

• Yeah me too, i have a vestax. Its loud out of that speaker, has all the features i could need, and it doesn't look as bulky as the Numark. Bought mine off the bay for about ??50 = $100 so not that bad.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

what is it with muthafuckas around here? why does it matter if his moms is buying him one? it dont! It aint got shit to do with you. He was asking about the portables not whether or not you are a big boy or not.

fuck that. Moms love to buy shit for their kids. it makes them happy. let it go big boy.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    My setup, perfect for the beach...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    vintage is best, my singer with detachable speakers
    & ge (with "am" radio !!!) are sturdy & LOUD

i bought my g-3 7 years ago & it is also sturdy, still works great,
    i can deal with the mono output for a quick listen in a noisy space
    but
    two complaints, the battery/cord compartment is a hassle (heavy batteries dropping out is

and worse, when playing a 12" record, more than half the speaker is covered up

otherwise,
    i love the machine
    (yes, with the clip you can play records in your car or upside down !?!)

talked with many many vestex and numark owners,
    more complaints about the vestex than the numarks

either way, a portable pays for itself in what you end up not purchasing
    (ie- money wasted)

i bought 2 others recently, both closer to the soundburgers than the g3
    (a thin/long classic ge & singer) but they both need some repair

any idea on where to get these repaired ??

• so which is it? vestax or numark?

My clasp just broke too, last weekend.

I bought it when it came out a couple years ago.

within the first week, the clamp to hold the lid on split in two.

within the first month, the female receptor f'ed up and it takes an extremely long amoount of fiddling to get the power to come on without batteries.

6 D cells are a bitch.

Since I imported it cuz nowhere in canada carried it when it came out, I got no warranty. Never tried calling Numark though, but fuck em, I don't care that much.

A friend has the vestax and the numark, and prefers the Numark.

Lots of my friends also prefer the numark...I got a lemon I guess....

Now, my fisher Price portable that I put a headphone jack in, takes only 4 C cells, is Much smaller, way lighter, and is more space effective for digging, has never fucked up. My homie got me a replacement stylus at the Austin Record show last year....and, it is NOTICEABLY LOUDER.

so, unless you need RCA outputs and tone or pitch, for casual diggin, I usually stick with the Fisher Price.

Next time I'm getting a soundburger.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    those Cornelius Skeleton Ape Columbias are so ill.

sounds like a Columbia is the most solid/economical choice. can you get these anywhere else in the states besides Dusty Grooves?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    dude, you live within spitting distance of the Needle Doctor, why don't you get one from him?