BAD YEAR IN MUSIC - 1985

2»

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

And tonyphrone:

This isn't a dis at all, but: You're seeming kinda young with all this.

maybe, and i'm not mad at classic rock- it's just that Dylan, Fogerty, Aretha, etc. were making there best records 10-15 years before this. Putting them in the top 20 in the last 25 years means it's a bad year for music. That's just my opinion, i'm not a fan of "newer" Dylan records or Peter Gabriel - but I fucks with Credence!

Well, 1) I guess there's "best" and then there's "most relevant", and 2) the classic-rock comments were directed towards the notoriously unadventurous Ron "Rape" Donkeys (dude keeps it boot-cut, and isn't trying to hear anything more "out" than Fly Like An Eagle).

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    bad year my ass.. and this list is missiing ALOT of shit. i would readily listen to any of the following..

1. Talking Heads: Little Creatures (Sire) 1078 (99)
    2. The Replacements: Tim (Sire) 865 (82)
    4. Tom Waits: Rain Dogs (Island) 607 (59)
    6. H??sker D??: Flip Your Wig (SST) 535 (51)
    8. H??sker D??: New Day Rising (SST) 457 (43)
    12. The Velvet Underground: VU (Verve) 370 (31)
    14. Sade: Diamond Life (Portrait) 283 (30) *
    16. Bob Dylan: Biograph (Columbia) 263 (22
    18. Kate Bush: Hounds of Love (EMI America) 236 (24)
    23. Meat Puppets: Up on the Sun (SST) 186 (20)
    25. The Jesus and Mary Chain: Psychocandy (Blanco y Negro import) 175 (15)
    27. The Golden Palominos: Visions of Excess (Celluloid) 165 (16)
    28. Prefab Sprout: Two Wheels Good (Epic) 162 (17)
    32. Run-D.M.C.: King of Rock (Profile) 151 (15)
    33. Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians: Fegmania (Slash) 150 (18)
    37. L.L. Cool J: Radio (Def Jam) 132 (12)
    39. Suzanne Vega: Suzanne Vega (A&M) 130 (14)
    40. The Minutemen: 3-Way Tie (For Last) (SST)

• boot cut? maybe. but i am a well-documented proponent of the wu-taper.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

worst clash album

Of course it is...but I sure did like it for a few months when I was 14 years old.

Only thing I really remember from it now is that "This is England, this is how we feel" song.

I also recall a night driving from Seal Beach back to Huntington Beach with my mom and one of Jesus and Mary Chain's more abrasive songs came on the radio via KROQ. The thing that stood out the most to me was that my mom didn't flinch a bit as I was expecting her to change the station with the quickness. Later I realized it wasn't that she was all that cool and accepting, but more like she was zoned out in an all-too-typical suburban mom daze.

• when did shaddup you face by joe dolce come out? man, that was my shit BITD. i spent my own money on that 45. loved that shit. there was a video too with dude sipping on champagne in a bubble bath or something. fuck. im going back to youtube.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ya feel me?

No. Not really. Are you saying there were not that many good records in 1985* or that the critics' poll was misleading? Both observations are as enlightening as telling us your dog licks its balls.

*seems to be the average shit/quality ratio...i peeped the list up to 2005

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

And tonyphrone:

This isn't a dis at all, but: You're seeming kinda young with all this.

maybe, and i'm not mad at classic rock- it's just that Dylan, Fogerty, Aretha, etc. were making there best records 10-15 years before this. Putting them in the top 20 in the last 25 years means it's a bad year for music. That's just my opinion, i'm not a fan of "newer" Dylan records or Peter Gabriel - but I fucks with Credence!

Well, 1) I guess there's "best" and then there's "most relevant", and 2) the classic-rock comments were directed towards the notoriously unadventurous Ron "Rape" Donkeys (dude keeps it boot-cut, and isn't trying to hear anything more "out" than Fly Like An Eagle).

Wasn't he referring to Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising though?

• Certainly not the best album he did but it wasn't a bad album either, certainly compared to a lot of the stuff that came out that year. And critics' polls are always dodgy. I mean, I've never seen a critic who didn't list a Richard Thompson album if one came out that year, and yet I don't personally know anybody who actually buys his albums. Fairport Convention maybe but not his solo albums.

• Wasn't he referring to Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising though?

oh gotcha! I liked that one too. Acctually I take it all back. 1985: Mediocre year in music.

• Wasn't he referring to Sonic Youth's Bad Moon Rising though?

oh gotcha! I liked that one too. Acctually I take it all back. 1985: Mediocre year in music.

The subject of this thread has changed like 4 times in your private mind garden either a) you have no idea whats up or b) you are easily swayed by the opinions of others.

• b) you are easily swayed by the opinions of others.

i dont think I really changed my mind - I've upgraded the year to Mediocre.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I mean, I've never seen a critic who didn't list a Richard Thompson album if one came out that year, and yet I don't personally know anybody who actually buys his albums. Fairport Convention maybe but not his solo albums.

He has a lot of excellent solo work.
    Really, his work with Fairport Convention is not all that easily
    identifiable as his, while his albums both solo & with Linda Thompson
    bear an unmistakable style.

Shoot Out the Lights is a masterpiece.

Oh, and that Prince record is good.

• i dont think I really changed my mind - I've upgraded the year to Mediocre.

You know, the thing about the 80's is that in large a lot of the best music of the decade was singles, not albums. There's tons of singles from the 80's that people have a soft spot for but not nearly as many albums, at least in my experience. It's not unlike 2005 was where there weren't many full albums I liked that much but 2005 was a bumper crop for catchy singles. That's not to say there aren't still some good albums coming out in times like that but it's not like some years where it just seems like there's good album after good album. Many years in the 80's are like that to me.

• 1985 was the year that dancehall went digital and gave birth to both Sleng Teng and Tempo (one of my all-time most favoritest riddims ever).

It was also the year that Diamond Dave went solo. Take that for what it's worth.

• You know, the thing about the 80's is that in large a lot of the best music of the decade was singles, not albums.

real talk.

• damn you guys are white.

• 1985 was the year that dancehall went digital and gave birth to both Sleng Teng and Tempo (one of my all-time most favoritest riddims ever).

massiv cosignage. Terry Ganzie's 'King of Kings' on Tempo and Tenor Saw's 'Pumpkin Belly' on sleng teng are some of my joints. Digital Dancehall was being born and that's definitely .

'85 is kind of a transition year tho. Hip hop wasn't at its strongest (Roxanne crazes?). Electro and italo were fading. House was being developed. Punk and post punk weren't at their strongest. Not only is that clash album wack but its not the Dead Kennedy's best work either. Maybe hardcore and early metal had some shit but I'm not up on those enough. Jazz, soul, latin? Forgettaboutit. I still need to get that Jesus and Mary Chain. I'm not trying to front but on a whole I vote mediocre.

$??

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Faux rills and Archaix need to have like a t.v. show together where they can do like a crossfire sort of thing about who has the biggest heart of a milkdud.

• Speaking of bad, B[/b]ig A[/b]udio D[/b]ynamite was on my heavy rotation
    back in '85, along with King of Rock & Around The World In A Day.

Interesting post-Clash hybrid of punk, funk & hip hop. This is Big Audio Dynamite incorporated effective spoken word and movie samples with limited technology & the beats were in line with anything else that was coming out at that time. E=MC2 was a great single along with the Rick Rubin remix of BAD.

• 1985 was the birth of EMO:

Rites of Spring LP on Dischord is a personal all timer.

1985 was Revolution Summer in DC with Embrace and Dag Nasty tearing it up as well (though their first albums woulndn't come out until 86/87.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    '85 is kind of a transition year tho. Hip hop wasn't at its strongest

Not at its strongest,yes, but ALOT of great singles came out in '85 despite the Roxanne craze.

1. The Show - Doug E. Fresh & The Get Fresh Crew
    2. La Di Da Di - Doug E. Fresh & The Get Fresh Crew
    3. I Can't Live Without My Radio - LL Cool J
    4. I Need a Beat - LL Cool J
    5. I Wonder If I Take You Home - Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam
    6. The Roof is on Fire - Rock Master Scott & The Dynamic Three
    7. The Show Stoppa (Is Stupid Fresh) - Super Nature (Salt N Pepa)
    8. P.S.K.-What Does It Mean? (Park Side Killers) - Schoolly D
    9. Batterram - Toddy Tee a.k.a. Todd Howard
    10. Alice, I Want You Just for Me - Full Force
    11. Big Mouth - Whodini
    12. Fresh is the Word - Mantronix
    13. Don't Stop the Rock - Freestyle
    14. Terminator - Kid Frost
    15. A Fly Girl - The Boogie Boys
    Honorable Mention: Bass Rock Express - MC A.D.E.
    Honorable Mention: If I Ruled the World - Kurtis Blow
    Honorable Mention: Girl (Cocaine) - Too Short

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

But I suppose you're too good to have ever liked the Chili Peppers.

Pretty much... worst music imaginable.

I dunno why people hate on the RHCP so much (Though I don't care for anything they've put out in the last 8 years or so). Anthony Kiedis aside... Flea is one of the greatest bass players ever.

And as far as Freaky Styley goes. It was a pretty good album... It's fuse of many different styles made me reach out my musical tastes and look for other things at the time.

The album doesn't hold up now as much as it did then, but there are still a couple of great tracks on there for even now.

But then again, you wouldn't be the King of Hate if you didn't knock it I suppose.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

But I suppose you're too good to have ever liked the Chili Peppers.

Pretty much... worst music imaginable.

I dunno why people hate on the RHCP so much

because they suck. and not just normal suckage, but whiteboydreadsbeerfartsbadtattoosbassslappingsmellyfunfurjockrock suck.

hi b****.

• 1985 was the year I graduated from college. Finished in the Spring, did some Dead shows (Virginia, Massachusetts and New York) and then moved to Europe. I got to London in March of that year. Of all the times to be in London 1985 was not the greatest. Punk was dead, post punk was dead, rave hadn't started yet and synth and goth bands ruled. The albums that got played repeatedly (at least where I was) that year were the Cure's "Head on the Door" and the Cult's S/T LP. The only action was in the rare groove scene and in reggae. Certainly when you compare that year to 1977, 1981 or 1988 it doesn't come close.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The industry might be suspect in some eyes but in 85, HipHop was bubblin'.