old school skate decks

13»

Comments

• Options
    I had a Ripstik with a skull drawing on it in '83 but it broke. Then I got a G&S all yellow deck and was going to build a new board but never got around to it. I still have the G&S deck in the garage too, is it worth anything? I was going to make a clock out of it.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I rode for Small Room & Venture trucks back in the day and flow from a few others. San Jose[/b] is and has been a mecca for Skateboarding for quite some time. Still talk to some of the older cats on the regular: Cab, Corey, Barbee etc. and well, most of the newer cats are my drinking partners.

You still skate at all B? I want to get back into it, but don't know the San Jose spots well and I feel retarded at a skate park cuz all the 14 year olds are way better than me

DJ Ferrari

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the neighborhood kids on my block all chipped in and build a set up for me after i skated w/ them during our block party. i've been skating a lot at this ledge since then. my 28 year old self cant really recover from falls the way i used to. it's also real hard to dj w/ a sprained wrist. needless to say, skating makes me really happy. i'm really glad i got back into it.

• Rodney Mullen =

I had a Lance Mountain back in the day as well.

$??

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    alva grip!:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this last summer, i spent a lot of time with my kid skating around the industrial areas of our neighborhood. it had been a year or two, but i was still able to bust some nice heelflips and lipslide the bus bench across the street. falling down is a lot different these days, and i really don't have the same fearlessness that i used to. Delay, what ever happened with that itallian guy that sucker punched you last fall?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ahhhhggggg - i can't take it anymore....

sorry. shameless promotion for anyone who might be in Toronto...

Hammer

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ahhhhggggg - i can't take it anymore....

sorry. shameless promotion for anyone who might be in Toronto...

Hammer

what? do you work there?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    my bf's store!

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I rode for Small Room & Venture trucks back in the day and flow from a few others.

Really? I always wanted to try a Small Room board, but they were hard to find here in London.
    There was one particular one that had a kinda flower/amoeba-type shape as a graphic... I always thought that looked dope.
    OneSoul, if I may be so bold, what is your real name? I religiously read Transworld/Thrasher from maybe 1986 until 2002, so maybe I'll recognise you.

Really dope to 'link' with so many other skaters and ex-skaters on here... Funny to me how skating is so accepted now. Back when I was in my teenage years, skating was HATED by everyone: the general public, school friends, girls... I had a tough time off my 'board at times! Friends have come and gone throughout my life, but most of my skating friends are still around.

• This was my first professional deck:

It ended up getting run over by a car. I'm pretty fond of Marc McKee's designs.

The Stick-o-rama was genius

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    The Stick-o-rama was genius

I still have an unstuck set of the Stick-o-rama stickers here - and about 100 different World Industries-related stickers and paraphernalia. I loved that whole Rocco vibe at the time.

• omg... i'd forgotten about the stick-o-rama! and man, that guerrero looks SWEET in that color.... those alva grips had me trippin out... been ages since i even thought about those... that rodney mullen deck is classic too, i used to be BLOWN AWAY when id watch him freestyle in those videos... if i may just add a few more...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

• i got my very first board in 1980, i was 5 years old. it was a variflex slalom board with bennet rucks. it said ROCKER across the top. a couple years later i got a valterra, white board with a dragon on the bottom. it had a griptape, and a tail, a big step up from my previous one. my first REAL board was the tony hawk with the kick nose. around 1986 i think. tracker ultralites(SUCKED), rat bones wheels. second board was that pewelinder street deck, indy trucks. from then on it was pretty much indy all the way til about 93. ok 3rd board was the craig johnson on zorlac. ive had 2 of those metallica boards. i was a big metal head at the time. the matt hensley light pole deck was one of my favorites as well. ive broken both ankles one each, and sprained them too many times to count. needless to say im that dude who has his own set of crutches in the closet, as well as the storm trooper boot brace. i've skated more in the last 2 months than i have in the last 3 or 4 years and it feels great.

• AIRWALK Prototypes!!!

the ones i had aren't in the pic... they were like black & turquoise.

i had those white and blue ones with the lace savers

• ive had 2 of those metallica boards. i was a big metal head at the time.

oh man... back then it was like you HAD TO BE! if you skated and didn't listen to heavy metal, thrash & punk... people would call you a straight up poseur... thank god those days of musical discriminatin are over...

wait... are they?

• heres what the houston park is supposed to look like

• ive had 2 of those metallica boards. i was a big metal head at the time.

oh man... back then it was like you HAD TO BE! if you skated and didn't listen to heavy metal, thrash & punk... people would call you a straight up poseur... thank god those days of musical discriminatin are over...

wait... are they?

i dont think so actually, kinda emoed out right now.

• Some of the decks that I used to ride:

Gator mini... I was a lil dude.

Schmitt Stix Lucero

I currently still have this OG (in white) with stickered, clear grip tape, neon green rail guards, white tracker trucks, and rat bone wheels in alternating neon green and orange.

I remember keeping a gold paint pen on me, and inking the ratbones graphic everywhere.

• Rodney Mullen =

$??

still doin his thing

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Dude thanks for that. Rodney Mullen is insane, talk about poetry in motion. Jeez...

• One of first decks ever was

but white, probably 1983-1984. Went through so many different, but the ones I really liked and bought over and over were

The tri-tail was sick.

My parents still have a Concrete Jungle Aint Dead Yet in their garage that I used for vertical only, so still in great shape. Couldn't find image though. I think it was a NW company.

Funny to see so many skaters. Truly brings back many great memories.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    This was my first professional deck:

Mine too! This thread brings back memories.

• This thread is the utter niceness!!!

Also i sometimes work at my friends cafe and one time this guy walks in with a skateboard (this is just maybe 3 months from now..) that looked kinda old school so i asked him if i could see it and it was the EXACT same get-up i had once with Mike Vallely board, indy trucks and slime ball wheels, he even had that Ray Barber sticker i also had, and it wasn't mine since i knew where mine went...

Favourite old school skating movies:

Ban this
    Hokus Pokus
    First plan b movie
    Streets of fire

and then later Northern exposure made a lot of sense to me..

Oh memories, skateboarding was the best, still do it from time to time but i feel like i weigh three times more now when i step on board

/L

• man... that rodney mullen clip was insane... noone does it quite like him. thanks for posting that.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    man... that rodney mullen clip was insane... noone does it quite like him. thanks for posting that.

Rodney was without a doubt one of the true innovators in skating, basically inventing most of the flatground street skating tricks we've been doing for the past 15 years.
    The only thing that slightly bugged me was that even though he tried hard, he never shook the freestyle style, if you know what I mean. Maybe it was to do with the 'setting-up' for each trick... or maybe he was too delicate...
    Still, all I know is that he could do more than five times the tricks I ever learned, but back in the 80's when I was still doing bonelesses and early grabs off two-foot high fly-off ramps.