old school skate decks

Comments

• awww man I remember so much of this stuff. Here was the first deck I was rockin back in the day,
    Image hosting by Photobucket

• just a few more nostalgic images...

and i should stop 'cause i'm gettin carried away by old times...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    while we're on the subject, i gotta give my man a big public rest in peace...

Respect... switch kickflip backside tails in the early 90s. Damn... RIP.

I think my first deck was a Variflex I got when I was 8. Had that bad boy for 4 years until I got a Julien Stranger Real deck. I was all New School then

DJ Ferrari

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i hadto wait like 6 years or some shit to finally see the "blue arm dude"

• anyone remember that old skate video with rob roskopp & natas??? it was like an instructional skate video... has that lil clay animation intro of them with that awesome bassline... i wish i still had that.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    anyone remember that old skate video with rob roskopp & natas??? it was like an instructional skate video... has that lil clay animation intro of them with that awesome bassline... i wish i still had that.

I dont remember that specific video, but Natas Kaupas was my shit. I remember seeing him ride off the wrong side of the half pipes (off the backside of the top platform) and dropping like 12' straight down. crazy.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I had this one. That was the last board I bought, in fact. My first one was this:

Then I got a Bryce Kanights deck that I can't find a picture of.

Then the first Ron Allen joint on H-Street (can't find a picture of that one, either).

Then the Hensley.

Always OJ Elite wheels. Tracker Ultralight trucks at first, then Gullwings. Silly Stix rails. Yessir.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

had a santa cruz and a mark lake mini as well
    holy crap that was a long time ago

I always loved the Gator design. Probably the most classic. But I always thought the deck rode terribly.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    anyone remember that old skate video with rob roskopp & natas??? it was like an instructional skate video... has that lil clay animation intro of them with that awesome bassline... i wish i still had that.

Street Skating with Rob Roskopp and Natas Kaupas

• anyone remember that old skate video with rob roskopp & natas??? it was like an instructional skate video... has that lil clay animation intro of them with that awesome bassline... i wish i still had that.

Street Skating with Rob Roskopp and Natas Kaupas

YES!!! i still have the bassline in my head... i wish someone would rip that video... my brothers dling some torrents of the bones brigade movies for me this week... woul dbe awesome to fit that on the same dvd-r.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

i remember what santa cruz i had
    it was this one that someone posted

with this under some clear griptape

it was handpainted
    gave me shivers

• i had the "uncensored" screaming hand sticker on my corey o'brien deck... used to freak me out too.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    So bizarre... I just spent an afternoon transferring my World-related VHS collection (including Blind 'Video Days', 'Tim & Henry's Pack Of Lies', Plan B 'Questionable', 'Virtual Reality', World Industries 'Love Child', 'New World Order' and 101's 'Snuff') onto DV to be eventually put onto DVD.

I never realised there were so many skaters here. I skated for around 15 years before my third broken ankle stopped me.
    If anyone cares, here's a Quicktime of me skating back in 1994/95... Ended up getting flow from New Deal for a bit!

If anyone's still interested in skating or looking to relive their youth, you gotta pick up the 'Disposable' book by Sean Cliver, which is pretty much the best/most-comprehensive book on skate graphics ever.

Also, Andy Howell's biography, 'Art, Skateboarding & Life', is well worth grabbing too (there's 'Useless Wooden Toys' and '1281' in their entirety on the accompanying. DVDs)

• My first board was the Powell Peralta skull/sword with orange griptape, player. Thrasher magazine was ok but transworld was where it was at - better photos, features, layout, '91 reef sandals ads of thongs, and then stuff like diy kicker kits, skate rags, the hightop vsw shoes and airwalks with lacesavers, finger boards, etc. The insert posters were unbelieavable, crazy angle of some dude on 20ft halfpipe in his backyard doing a huge method on vision gator! the early 90s of skating was the 'golden era'. If anyone has any issues they'll looking to get rid of ....

natas kaupus was style. ollie to 360 grind/board slide on fire hydrant! source - skate tv on nickolodean, saturday mornings

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    natas kaupus was style.

my middle school banned kids from wearing natas' shirts because his name spelled satan backwards. true.

• my first, sims lester kasai
    i think i had a lot of the other decks posted, probably at least 10 Gonz's

• I skated for around 15 years before my third broken ankle stopped me.

You'll get back to it. I broke my ankle 5 months ago and I've been skating all week long. Doing flip tricks with the repaired ankle. It hurts like a motherfucker though.

I had a G&S Neil Blender. The old flat one with the snake. I can't find a jpg. Before that was a fiberglass, skinny board. Bhane maybe?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This stuff brings back so many memories, my first new one was some all in one cheapo old school deck, but I had a few of the ones posted in the thread, that Ray Barbee that someone posted was one of my faves. Do you guys remember that first Mack Dawg vid Sick Boys? That was killer with some cool Natas footage.

• AIRWALK Prototypes!!!

the ones i had aren't in the pic... they were like black & turquoise.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    yellow Madrid Flys, unfadeable

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    AIRWALK Prototypes!!!

the ones i had aren't in the pic... they were like black & turquoise.

Oh shit! I had the black ones on the left. And then a pair of later ones that were all black. Those were like the biggest shit ever when they came out--not even Vans could fuck with 'em.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

old school

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    i remember when corey o'brain was on a talk show several years ago. the subject was "being taunted by your high school school bully and now look at me"type topic.

the lady, if ever was attarctive, looked hidious and she was carrying jello w/ her, i guess corey and his brother(gavin) where either throwing jello at her when kids or she wiggled like jello..

anyways, slappy grinds for days at the blossom hill scurbs. those guys used to always be there!

my first board was steve steadham(powell) w/ indy and rat bones!

word!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    oh... and as cheezy as it was...

can't forget the Valterra from "Back to the Future":

That was my first board. KMart special all day right there. My folks split around that time so I didn't get another one for years cause Moms couldn't afford it. After that I think I had a Jeff Kendall and a Vision Jinx.

old school

Yeah. Really.

My 17yo brother calls Jay-Z old school.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

had a santa cruz and a mark lake mini as well
    holy crap that was a long time ago

thats the one I was looking for! With the clear grip tape and slime ball wheels. Hell yeah. I dont even skate.

• I never realised there were so many skaters here.

word, yeah, I'm trippin' out a bit as well, but that's dope. It's a bit more of a community than we first thought. I do think the mind set of skateboarding then, at that time as opposed to now, helped make us the people we are now as far as record collectors and/or DJ's. A "Don't accept the norm attitude" Total different state of mind...

Ended up getting flow from New Deal for a bit!

I rode for Small Room & Venture trucks back in the day and flow from a few others. San Jose[/b] is and has been a mecca for Skateboarding for quite some time. Still talk to some of the older cats on the regular: Cab, Corey, Barbee etc. and well, most of the newer cats are my drinking partners.

BTW: just did some of the music for the new Enjoi video.

-B-
    "tilt mode" & "BMC"

I know peacefulrotation (JoshB) also has some skateboarding roots up in SF

• that was my shit...and the pirate boat graphic after that one too