Sample-based Rap Singles (last 3 years)

brandonbrandon 42 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I teach a "Beats & Rhymes" class for middle-school students @ an after-school program here, in Minneapolis.I would like to make a CD of original songs and their samples to use in the class, the trick is they need to be extra popular rap singles of the last 3 years or so (to be relevant to 6th, 7th and 8th graders).The question is: What are the names and sampled songs of extra popular sample-based rap singles of the last 3 years?[/b]

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    THAT LAFFY TAFFY, THAT LAFFY TAFFY, THAT LAFFY TAFFY! CANDY GURRRRRLLLL!!!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    THAT LAFFY TAFFY, THAT LAFFY TAFFY, THAT LAFFY TAFFY! CANDY GURRRRRLLLL!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Beyonce Crazy In Love is the only one I can think of. Or Kanye Through The Wire.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I teach a "Beats & Rhymes" class for middle-school students @ an after-school program here, in Minneapolis.

I would like to make a CD of original songs and their samples to use in the class, the trick is they need to be extra popular rap singles of the last 3 years or so (to be relevant to 6th, 7th and 8th graders).

The question is: What are the names and sampled songs of extra popular sample-based rap singles of the last 3 years?[/b]

Brandon: Anything by Kanye. Much of 50 Cent's recent music has all been sample based, as were some of The Game's biggest hits. And I think "The Black Album" by Jay-Z falls under 3 years, no?

Use the-breaks.com for a resource on the sources.

Question: what did you have in mind?

Just give those kids a keyboard and a quick start guide. They'll be making hits in a 1/2 hour.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    They would also be familiar with samples FROM the BLACK ALBUM (I'm a Hustla and Bring Em Out) but I'm not sure if thats what you're talking about....

Just play them a bunch of Rhymsayers Schitt and follow it up with a long winded lecture on the history of hip hop's foundations in jazz music. Hopefully you will sufficiently bore them enough so that they dont grow up to be lame digger college kids.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    The one I'm thinkin about right now is Rakim/ Bob James - Hands Down (Shambooze)...more than three years ago...

The one I'm thinkin about right now is Rakim/ Bob James - Hands Down (Shambooze)...more than three years ago...

...and not something that any junior high kids would be aware of... hell, they don't even know who Rakim is...

...and not something that any junior high kids would be aware of... hell, they don't even know who Rakim is...

Yes! right on. You even get the chance to play a shitty bob james album in class!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

The question is: What are the names and sampled songs of extra popular sample-based rap singles of the last 3 years?[/b]

Kanye: 'Touch the Sky'
    Kanye: 'Diamonds from Sierra Leone'

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    I'd say 99 problems....wilson pickett engine no 9 right? Probably not that recognisable tho. The kids love eminem.....dont they?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Eminem / Jon Lucien

• Thank you for your responses.
    I know about the-breaks.com, but I already spend crazy time outside of work/class. I was thinking some DJs might have it off the top of their head more quickly. Tupac is old school to the babies. Kanye - Touch the Sky, Diamonds & Jay-z, Game would work well. Are there any 3-6 / Southern Rap Samples I should know about?

Brandon

• Shouldn't someone who teaches a beats & rhymes class know this already?

• I'd say 99 problems....wilson pickett engine no 9 right? Probably not that recognisable tho. The kids love eminem.....dont they?

The Eminem Show is four years old now. Not sure if 8th graders would even remember it. Was there really even any big hits from Encore?

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    Thank you for your responses.
    I know about the-breaks.com, but I already spend crazy time outside of work/class. I was thinking some DJs might have it off the top of their head more quickly. Tupac is old school to the babies. Kanye - Touch the Sky, Diamonds & Jay-z, Game would work well. Are there any 3-6 / Southern Rap Samples I should know about?

Brandon

lil jon - throw it up
    requiem for a dream, son!

Looking for popular songs that sample is basically looking for the exception to the rule. Most popular songs out now are all made with keyboards, and its easy enough that you could teach kids to do it in a day or less.

Sampling is too hard. I admire your motivation, but I just can seem to think that kids would care. If you turn on a keyboard and let them hit the 808 bass key though.... I bet that would excite them.

Plus its a lot cheaper than getting all the sampling equipment. You could get a keyboard that could make the laffy taffy beat for well under a thousand dollars. And once you learn how the sequencer works you could make laffy taffy in a matter of minutes. I use laffy taffy as an example because its the first one that comes to mind, and its the only recent song that i really know.

kids have short attention spans too. they don't really care about shit that came out 2 years ago, you know?

I think to get kids interested in music you have to show them that anyone can do it. Granted, the amount of time it takes to learn an instrument (like the guitar) has shrunk to about a day or so (a keyboard), but still, instant gratification is still gratification.

Its also possible that if kids learn that its really easy to make what they hear on the radio then the next generation of kids will get bored with that really quick and start coming up with some exciting new stuff.

Or not. Time will tell. I'm just guessing.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    First things that come to mind:

Amerie's 1 Thing remixes that just stuck a rap verse or two in there (Eve, Clipse, Jay-Z, and probably others) - pretty blatant Meters sample. Missy's last couple of hits, Lose Control using Cybotron and Work It using Double Dutch Bus.

Are there any 3-6 / Southern Rap Samples I should know about?

Well if you know any at all you should know

FLY-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-YYYYYYYY

• there was a thread a while back supposedly outing the sample to Still Tippin. Then the one Archaic shut shit down with the "I've got the producer on the phone right now and he says it's not a sample" thing.

I still don't believe him, and after listening very carefully to the song I maintain that it is a sample.

there was a thread a while back supposedly outing the sample to Still Tippin. Then the one Archaic shut shit down with the "I've got the producer on the phone right now and he says it's not a sample" thing.

I still don't believe him, and after listening very carefully to the song I maintain that it is a sample.

I have the sample in snippet form. It's from a library.

Like I said, never trust archaic.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    there was a thread a while back supposedly outing the sample to Still Tippin. Then the one Archaic shut shit down with the "I've got the producer on the phone right now and he says it's not a sample" thing.

Don't kill the messenger.

Shortly after that exchange, I was at the Carnival Beats office practically arguing with Salih's brother Ishaq over whether it was a sample or not. Salih maintains that it wasn't. They'll probably go to their graves insisting that it wasn't. I really want to believe them, but I'm not sure that I can.

• there was a thread a while back supposedly outing the sample to Still Tippin. Then the one Archaic shut shit down with the "I've got the producer on the phone right now and he says it's not a sample" thing.

I don't know that thread, but I would tend to believe him on this one bro.

You'd be wrong.

Don't kill the messenger.

Shortly after that exchange, I was at the Carnival Beats office practically arguing with Salih's brother Ishaq over whether it was a sample or not. Salih maintains that it wasn't. They'll probably go to their graves insisting that it wasn't. I really want to believe them, but I'm not sure that I can.

Not to snipe at you or Salih but I listened to it over and over one day - and as you know I've worked with my fair share of samplers and synths - and I'm convinced no synth could do that. The attack, the tone, and most of all when it gets doubled up near the end of the sequence.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

You'd be wrong.

So he'd be wrong to believe that Salih maintains that it isn't a sample?

Anyway, the version of the William Tell Overture that someone included in that old thread had an extra note than the phrase from Still Tippin.

That's why I'm sitting on "I can't call it"...rather than insisting that someone is bold-face lying.

Maybe you have the real sample from a library, but I'd have to hear it to be able to judge it.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts