The Switch (PC to Mac)

Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Yo, what's up with the PC to Mac switch?I'm either thinking about copping the 12" ibook, or 15" powerbook. One of my only issues is software... The issue at hand isn't using the new software... but obtaining it. What i've loved about the PC is its accesbility to stolen programs. I've never had to pay for a single piece of software. Are you Mac heads here shelling out major cash for something simple like an anti-virus?Hit me back w/ what's up!

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You shouldn't need anti-virus on a Mac and a good portion of Mac programs can be acquired through various means on the internet.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    - no viruses/spyware on os x in its 5 yrs of existence, zero, nada, nil, zilch.
    - programs are easily obtainable from the usual sources (bt, newsgroups, acquisition, etc).
    - standard file compatiblity for common extensions (.jpg, .mp3, .wav, .doc, .xls, etc)
    - network can be setup to share files wirelessly between pc & mac.
    - os x = hfs+ vs xp = ntfs or fat32
    - os x can read/write to fat32, but read only for ntfs.
    - if you want to setup an external hd for pc/mac combo usage then format it as fat32.

• I changed about a yeay ago now and find my mac a much more stable platform than my pc ever was, I don't think I'd ever return to a pc.

• Word,

Thanks for all the replies so far... What do you guys own? Desktops or Ibook/Powerbooks?

And what's your stance on the ibook v. powerbook debate?

• Word,

Thanks for all the replies so far... What do you guys own? Desktops or Ibook/Powerbooks?

I have a 15" powerbook and It my schitt. If you are just doing word and internet your fine with the ibook. if your doing audio/video/graphics go with the powerbook.

Don't worry about getting the software. BTW, anyone have live 5 mac?

• Word,

I have a 15" powerbook and It my schitt. If you are just doing word and internet your fine with the ibook. if your doing audio/video/graphics go with the powerbook.

Don't worry about getting the software. BTW, anyone have live 5 mac?

I find it quite hard to download decent software that actually works, would really love Live 5..

go with the powerbook, they just made it 4 times faster too

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Im also doing THE switch this month... Im buying a new Imac G5 with the intel units.

Whats the fastest to transfer all my files from PC to Mac. Ive got 7 GB worth of pictures and about 20 GB worth of musicfiles.
    Any advice on this?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'd set up a local network from comp to comp and transfer via ethernet. You just need a crossover ethernet cable, not a regular one.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yo, what's up with the PC to Mac switch

Like mentioned before, go with the ibook if your needs are average. Go with the powerbook if you need heavier number-crunching (i.e. work seriously with music,movies,images). Don't worry about getting software. You will have access to a variety of p2p software that will do the trick, and as soon as you get going you'll soon hook up with a lot of helpful Mac folks anyway, trust me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I see Apple bumped up the MacBook Pro chips for free. That was nice of them.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

While we're on the subject of Macs, does anybody know the answer to the age-old debate as to whether it's better to shut down your Mac at night or just put it to sleep? An old roommate claimed that shutting down every night and then restarting the next day put undue stress on the hard drive and would cause it to crap out early. Which sounds good in theory, but with computers in the past, when hard-drive problems started, it usually happened when I was trying to wake up the computer from sleep mode and the hard drive wouldn't spin properly, so I wondered if the constant sleep/wake cycle might've had something to do with it.

• go with the powerbook, they just made it 4 times faster too

I don't want harsh anyone's mellow here (BELIEVE me, I am a diehard Mac fan myself)--but definitely look before you leap on the new MacBook Pro and Intel iMacs--some of the bread and butter Mac programs are not yet supported on these machines. Sure, they just announced Logic for Intel Macs, but Pro Tools has a long way to go before it's supported...and there are a number of other snags that might set you back on that platform as well (no Virtual PC support, some video programs not working properly, etc).

What I'm saying is yes--definitely make the switch if you're ready, but go with the new Intel Macs ONLY if you know they support the programs you plan on using. If not, go the G4 Powerbook or G5 desktop route.

• Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

While we're on the subject of Macs, does anybody know the answer to the age-old debate as to whether it's better to shut down your Mac at night or just put it to sleep? An old roommate claimed that shutting down every night and then restarting the next day put undue stress on the hard drive and would cause it to crap out early. Which sounds good in theory, but with computers in the past, when hard-drive problems started, it usually happened when I was trying to wake up the computer from sleep mode and the hard drive wouldn't spin properly, so I wondered if the constant sleep/wake cycle might've had something to do with it.

i would say shut down.
    more heat would be generated during sleep mode, and besides, the hard drive has to start up in both scenarios. i highly doubt it makes a significant difference either way.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    The reason people say you should leave it on 24/7 is because os x is unix based. Unix based systems will run maintenance/repair scripts in the middle of the night (5am) to fine tune your system. Therefore, if your computer is off during those times, these scripts are never run, thus your system will be sluggish.

Technically speaking, you can run these scripts yourself with text commands in terminal, but that is too complicated for most users. However, there are programs on the market such as cocktail that'll run these scripts for you, hence you will not have to leave your systems on all night. There are 3 types in general, daily, weekly, and monthly scripts.

I personally rarely shut down, I'll just put my system to sleep. Althought a reboot is good every week or two to flush out the system. Heat generated during sleep mode is minimal at best, if even.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    - no viruses/spyware on os x in its 5 yrs of existence, zero, nada, nil, zilch.

There's been at least one called opener. But that was a couple years back.

• Thanks for the replys so far....

What's up w/ the diffrent Mac model opinions though?

I'd be doing general computing (surfing the web, typing papers, etc) as well as some light design work like layout design, web work, flyers, posters, and maybe some video.

Would the 12" ibook suit my needs or is the 15" powerbook the only way to roll?

• Have you considered the 14" Ibook? Seems like the natural compromise between the 15" Powerbook and the 12" Ibook. I picked one up myself, recently ... upgraded to 1 gig of memory ... and have been able to do all sorts of goodness:

creating/editing and burning dvds (IMovie and IDVD)
    encoding 24 bit stereo audio on Cubase no problem
    editing images using GraphicConverter (looking for free Photoshop)
    etc etc

The 14" Ibook is a bit faster than the 12" (1.42 GHz compared to 1.25). Also, the dvd burning super drive is not an option on the 12" as far as I know.

From experience, the newest Ibook is much more powerful than other folks here are claiming ... "just word and internet" can be done on a computer made in the mid 90s. I've had no problem performing rather complex audio/video/graphic tasks.

That being said ... if you can afford the Powerbook, by all means go for that. Faster hard drive, more ports, more robust casing, etc etc.

I'm just saying that for $1500 (with educational discount), I got a 14" Ibook with a gig of memory and the 3 year protection plan and am completely satisfied. Again, it does whatever I throw at it. A similarly equipped Powerbook is about $2500 (well worth the investment but may be more than you need).

Well, thats my 2 cents. Here are the specs pages:

http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html
    http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ibook g4 > powerbook g4

value + performance combined, the difference is neglible. However if you're interested in the intels, then you might wait and see what apple has up its sleeves for its 30th anniversary. Read more about it here.

dgriot - I was not aware of opener, thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

• The reason people say you should leave it on 24/7 is because os x is unix based. Unix based systems will run maintenance/repair scripts in the middle of the night (5am) to fine tune your system. Therefore, if your computer is off during those times, these scripts are never run, thus your system will be sluggish.

Technically speaking, you can run these scripts yourself with text commands in terminal, but that is too complicated for most users. However, there are programs on the market such as cocktail that'll run these scripts for you, hence you will not have to leave your systems on all night. There are 3 types in general, daily, weekly, and monthly scripts.

I personally rarely shut down, I'll just put my system to sleep. Althought a reboot is good every week or two to flush out the system. Heat generated during sleep mode is minimal at best, if even.

Do you know if sleep mode locks the head of the HD? I've heard that the arm/head can still move in sleep mode, so if you're carrying around your iBook/pBook it's best to shut-down to minimize the chance of the head bumping into the disc and fucking up your HD.

Had a crash last year, and NEVER shut my powerbook down...wonder if it contributed to it.

• Since a bit of discussion about Macs and viruses was brought up, I saw this article a bit ago and figured it'd fit in in this thread. Welcome to our world, Mac users!

Virus attacking Apple Macintosh PCs found: experts

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A malicious computer worm has been found that targets Apple Computer Inc.'s Mac OS X operating system, believed to be the first such virus aimed specifically at the Mac platform.

The worm is called OSX/Leap-A, according to a posting on the Web site of antivirus software company Sophos, which said the worm is spread via instant messaging programs.

The worm attempts to spread via Apple's iChat instant messaging program, which is compatible with America Online's popular AIM instant messaging program, according to the Sophos Web site.

The worm sends itself to available contacts on the infected users' buddy list in a file called "latestpics.tgz," according to the Sophos Web site.

The vast majority of malicious hacks are aimed at Microsoft Corp.'s (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) Windows operating system and some of its products, largely because Microsoft has more than 90 percent of the market for computer operating systems.

"This first
    Macintosh OS X threat is an example of the continuing spread of malicious code on to other platforms," said Vincent Weafer, senior director at Symantec Security Response, in a statement.

The worm will not automatically infect Mac computers, but will ask users to accept the file, Weafer said.

Symantec ranked the new worm as a Level 1 threat (with 5 being the most severe).

An Apple spokesperson was not immediately available to comment.

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    download GIMP for graphics - its like photoshop but free
    macs are just really good looking and solid machines,
    definately happy with my ibook.

www.gimp.org

• I use the iBook and have had no problems with it whatsoever.
    Running a full studio with a HD chassis? or 3 desktops for Final Cut and AE off your lappie? yeah, go for MacBookpro... seriously, this shit is cheap and works well. Dood will trade latest heat software for raer. Hah.

• Thanks for all the feedback...

I just purchased an 12" Ibook G4. I'm going to finally hang up my PC ways for good in a few days...

• Do you know if sleep mode locks the head of the HD?

it does, i've carried my pb almost daily for the last 3 years with no problems.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I've played with friend's iBooks a number of times, and I find the interface to be as buggy and awkward as that of Windows

I don't do any graphic design and am well protected against virus/trojan/spyware attacks

Taking these into consideration, what could I possibly gain by switching to Mac, other than a much larger bill for hardware and software? (I'm semiserious BTW, will be acquiring a laptop soon... but I'm pretty sure I won't learn anything here that would make me want to switch)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Since a bit of discussion about Macs and viruses was brought up, I saw this article a bit ago and figured it'd fit in in this thread. Welcome to our world, Mac users!

Just so you know... This is NOT a virus. It's an exploit, something that has existed from the beginning of time on EVERY computing platform ever. I think the Win-erati were so happy that there was something malicious mac specific that they just went ahead to call something they KNEW was NOT a virus, a virus.

typical window-centric worldview.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is it sad that i want to buy an apple laptop so i can have powered firewire ports?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    is it sad that i want to buy an apple laptop so i can have powered firewire ports?

yes, if that's the only reason you're gonna but it for.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

I've played with friend's iBooks a number of times, and I find the interface to be as buggy and awkward as that of Windows

I don't do any graphic design and am well protected against virus/trojan/spyware attacks

Taking these into consideration, what could I possibly gain by switching to Mac, other than a much larger bill for hardware and software? (I'm semiserious BTW, will be acquiring a laptop soon... but I'm pretty sure I won't learn anything here that would make me want to switch)

buggy & awkward, I think you should rephrase and just say "not what I'm used to". That's basically what it boils down to, you're familiar w/ xp and anything besides xp will be "buggy & awkward" at first. It is your personal opinion though, so it's pointless to debate this.

Even if you are well protected from viruses, you still spend a lot more time and effort to do so than a mac user would. Time saved is a nice thing, if I don't say so. Also if you ever let somebody else use your computer, that automatically leaves you open to vulnerabilities. Again that depends on whether you do or you don't.

The main reason to buy apple is not the hardware, it's the software. OS X is just a better operating system than xp, even die hard xp users will readily admit that.

XP has its place, if I was balling some more I would also incorporate a pc into my setup of 2 macs.

http://www.xvsxp.com/

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    and I looked into "opener" also, not really a virus as it requires root access. OS X disables root access by default (another + over xp), you have to use the "sudo" command in terminal to enable it. You have to be pretty stupid yet technically inclined to enable root access to allow something like that to damage your system.

I will go on record again and still say no viruses on os x.