Spinning at punk shows?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited May 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
Anyone ever spin at punk shows? I'm thinking of doing it between sets as a lot of my friends perform at punk shows. What type of music do you spin?

Comments

• Fugazibreaksraer

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I have done my fair share of metal shows, in which I spin metal in between bands, so at punk show,throw down some punk wax...when in Rome. domnt worry about beats and mixing..just spin some stuff the bands and audiences would like.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Anyone ever spin at punk shows? I'm thinking of doing it between sets as a lot of my friends perform at punk shows. What type of music do you spin?

depends on what type of punk...i've heard soul, rap, garage, reggae, jazz (not dinner jazz) and french pop and all of them worked, but it had a lot to do with the bands' sound and the crowd.

• i guess it depends on what type of punk show it is.

is it gonna be one of those artsy punk crowds? if so, then i recommend stuff in that vein: the clash, liquid liquid, the contortions, even blondie.

is it gonna be a bunch of rowdy, drunken punkers? if so, you might be able to pull off a set of gangsta rap and satisfy everyone in the house.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Real punk show - Uptempo psych and freakbeat

Candy punk show - Pop psych and mod beat

DJ Ferrari

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    Funny, I was just thinking that I would like to play a whole punk set................I just nabbed an Operation Ivy 45, the first Pennywise Lp and a Dead Milkman album with a weird break on it-----it's the one with "if you love somebody set them on fire"---------------I was pretty hyped to find the Pennywise----old Skateboarding memories of Plan B video's....................haha, good luck, If you put together a mix though, I'd like to hear it....I'd like to get doubles of the Operation Ivy lp to cut up, as well as Bad Religion "against the Grain"-----First Nofx, and Greenday..............One L

Funny, I was just thinking that I would like to play a whole punk set................I just nabbed an Operation Ivy 45, the first Pennywise Lp and a Dead Milkman[/b] album with a weird break on it-----it's the one with "if you love somebody set them on fire"---------------I was pretty hyped to find the Pennywise----old Skateboarding memories of Plan B video's....................haha, good luck, If you put together a mix though, I'd like to hear it....I'd like to get doubles of the Operation Ivy lp to cut up, as well as Bad Religion "against the Grain"-----First Nofx, and Greenday[/b] ..............One L

this can end very badly at some shows

• i don't see how this could end badly though:

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    bring some germs, vibrators, dead kennedys, minor threat, ramones, clash, etc etc...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    depends on what type of punk...i've heard soul, rap, garage, reggae, jazz (not dinner jazz) and french pop and all of them worked, but it had a lot to do with the bands' sound and the crowd.

this is truth... you're just gonna have to have an idea of what your audience is down for...

some crowds would be totally feeling a raw soul/funk/rap set, others would ONLY accept Ramones/Black Flag/X/etc (sad but true)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    bring some germs, vibrators

AYO!!!!!!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    RISE ABOVE

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I used to spin in between sets back in New Mexico for this death metal band called Logical Nonsense. I just spun hip hop cause those dudes loved it...crazy Mexican death metal dudes that bumped Del and Black Moon. haha.

I used to spin in between sets back in New Mexico for this death metal band called Logical Nonsense. I just spun hip hop cause those dudes loved it...crazy Mexican death metal dudes that bumped Del and Black Moon. haha.

yea, the crusty punks love their hip hop, too. recent party i was at, it was nas/punk band/ghostface/punk band/geto boys/punk band. was i in heaven? practically!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I had a short-lived gig DJ'ing punk rock every week at a bar in Boston, back in the mid-90's...it was a blast, I would just play punk (US hardcore, UK 70's punk, etc) & hard rock (AC/DC, Slade, etc), and the punks would drink & shoot pool, I got a little bread & the bartender would give me free drinks all night as long as I played Black Sabbath once an hour (allowing me to give my drink tickets to fine girls, ), a very chill situation (and my first ever DJ gig).
    Anyway, this was around the time "Ill Communication" by the Beastie Boys came out, and I remember I was playing that song with the buddhist monk chant in it to mix things up a bit, and my boy Chris, a 6'3 skinhead, came over to me and said out of the side of his mouth, "...you're losing them..." and I looked up to see a lot of angry punk rockers, not drinking, just staring at me...fade down Beasties, kick in Cro-Mags "Hard Times"!!!

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts

Were these the same dudes in the grindcore bands Laughing Dog and Noisear? Joe (graff name: Gris) and a couple of his bandmates were the sickest hip-hop heads. Dude used to dj both Streat Beat and Music To Sooth The Savage Beast on KUNM. I remember the bassist, a big crazy looking middle-aged white dude, was a stage hand too. Apparently Kool Keith and him became homies when Keith opened up for the Chile Peppers way back when.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    i don't see how this could end badly though:

'OLY CHEET, MANG!

I think my dude did some beats on that album.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

pre1990'

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    if someone could find the chipmunks punk song where they go "we dont care no we dont care no we dont care no we don't care" from an episode of theirs where the went punk, i couldnt think of a better opener/sample.

• Classic Metal!!!!!!!, that will always work when unsure. Get yer' Mercyful Fate, Slayer, Possesed, Voivod, etc on.... Even throw in some Priest and the like. You can never go wrong with that stuff amongst the punk dudes.

• I had a short-lived gig DJ'ing punk rock every week at a bar in Boston, back in the mid-90's...it was a blast, I would just play punk (US hardcore, UK 70's punk, etc) & hard rock (AC/DC, Slade, etc), and the punks would drink & shoot pool, I got a little bread & the bartender would give me free drinks all night as long as I played Black Sabbath once an hour (allowing me to give my drink tickets to fine girls, ), a very chill situation (and my first ever DJ gig).
    Anyway, this was around the time "Ill Communication" by the Beastie Boys came out, and I remember I was playing that song with the buddhist monk chant in it to mix things up a bit, and my boy Chris, a 6'3 skinhead, came over to me and said out of the side of his mouth, "...you're losing them..." and I looked up to see a lot of angry punk rockers, not drinking, just staring at me...fade down Beasties, kick in Cro-Mags "Hard Times"!!!

Just curious, which bar was this?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I opened for Sylvain Sylvain from the New York Dolls a few years ago in DC. I brought a bunch of classic punk (Ruts, Stranglers, Clash, Ramones, Replacements etc), some hardcore and a bit of ska and reggae.
    As I was spinning this guy started talking to me saying he liked what I was playing. He asked me what my name was and then introduced himself as Sylvain. He asked me what I brought and I gave him a summary. He then asked if I had brought any doo-wop or Motown?!?! Luckily I brought one or two soul comps and played some tracks off of them.
    I talked to him for a good long while (super nice guy) and he gave me one his LP's from the merch table. He asked me to play a song off his album a few minutes before they came on. Sure, I said.
    As I started playing his record a little while later Sylvain's drummer came running over in a panic and screamed at me "what the FUCK are playing this for?!?!"
    I responded defensively "Sylvain (his boss) told me to play it!" He shook his head and walked away.
    The show opened a few minutes later and the band's opener was the song I had just played.

I had a short-lived gig DJ'ing punk rock every week at a bar in Boston, back in the mid-90's...it was a blast, I would just play punk (US hardcore, UK 70's punk, etc) & hard rock (AC/DC, Slade, etc), and the punks would drink & shoot pool, I got a little bread & the bartender would give me free drinks all night as long as I played Black Sabbath once an hour (allowing me to give my drink tickets to fine girls, ), a very chill situation (and my first ever DJ gig).

Just curious, which bar was this?

At the time it was called Local 186, previously known as Bunratty's (where I saw a few good HC shows), and is now the wet blanket known as "Wonderbar"

• MEMORIES SERVED

Soulrez, you rule

• I have to pitch a couple pennies now...

Probably one of my Top 5 albums of ALL TIME.

Have you seen them when they have toured in the last few years? Getting to see Bruce Foxton playing with them (and usually doing one of his tunes from The Jam, like "Smithers-Jones") is an absolute plus...

• No, but that sounds cool! Hope they make another loop sometime.

Yeah that record got worn out a couple times back in the day...

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    dub reggae....

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Cro-Mags, yes! Harley, while disgusting, was my boyhood male crush. Rilly Truffle (who?) has some interesting stories about Mr. Flanagan. Here's to the stomach-turning street urchins...

DjArcadian, Stream or download this mix for your punk show. Turn it up loud, and go get drunk at the bar while everyone moshes... An hour and fifteen minutes of punk.

[color:pink]

1. Agitated Guitar Music

2. Cro-Mags - ???Malfunction??? (Rock Hotel/Profile, 1986)

3. Agnostic Front - ???Your Mistake??? (Combat, 1986)

4. Happy Go Licky - ???White Lines??? (Peterbuilt, 1987)

5. Samiam - ???Home Sweet Home??? (New Red Archives, 1990)

6. Bob Tilton - ???Gears Turn (It Just Repeats)??? (Subjugation, 1994)

7. Shellac - ???Wingwalker??? (Touch and Go, 1993)

8. Deak Kennedys - ???We've Got a Bigger Problem Now??? (Alternative Tentacles, 1981)

9. Nirvana - ???Negative Creep??? (Sub Pop, 1989)

10. Suicidal Tendencies - ???I Saw Your Mommy?????? (Frontier, 1983)

11. Exploited - ???Horror Epics??? (Combat, 1984)

12. Drive Like Jehu - ???Do You Compute??? (Cargo, 1994)

13. Faith No More - ???We Care A Lot??? (Slash, 1987)

14. Fishbone - ???Slow Bus Movin' (Howard Beach Party)??? (Columbia, 1988)

15. Bad Brains - ???With The Quickness??? (Caroline, 1989)

16. Scream - ???Amerarockers??? (Dischord, 1982)

17. 7 Seconds - ???Walk Together, Rock Together??? (Better Youth, 1986)

18. Youth of Today - ???Crucial Times??? (Schism, 1988)

19. Uniform Choice - ???Use Your Head??? (Wishing Well, 1986)

20. Skewbald - ???[Untitled]??? (Dischord, 1981)

21. Rain - ???Snake Out??? (Peterbuilt, 198?)

22. Spitboy - ???Wizened??? (ebulition, 1985)

23. Bikini Kill - ???I Like Fucking??? (Kill Rock Stars, 1995)

24. Cupid Car Club - ???Grape Juice Plus??? (Kill Rock Stars, 1994)

25. Operation Ivy - ???Healthy Body??? (Lookout, 1988)

26. Circle Jerks - ???Wonderful??? (Combat, 1985) [/color]

Did Gorrilla Biscuits "Sitting 'Round At Home" ever see vinyl release?