who's worse, Jean-Luc Ponty vs. Andreas Vollenweid

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Jean Luc Ponty vs. Andreas Vollenweider. elelctric violin vs. electric harp

Comments

• Jean Luc Ponty vs. Andreas Vollenweider.
    elelctric violin vs. electric harp

both equally bring me back to my childhood mindgarden, so I can't hate on either.

• Jean Luc Ponty vs. Andreas Vollenweider.
    elelctric violin vs. electric harp

both equally bring me back to my childhood mindgarden, so I can't hate on either.

you were listening to those as a kid???? i guess when each of those dudes has made like 50 records, somebody had to be buying them.

• I got to go with Vollenweinder dude. I just never liked the name "Ponty"

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I know nothing of ponty
    I did not know andreas had released a million records ala Zamfir

However the only one i have

I actually like, good spliff music, he was in his super trippy period i guess

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Vollenweider = good samples and chill music. He's aiight in my book. Ponty on the other hand..............

• so much Ponty hate. next y'all will be doggin ian anderson.

i've think my first concert was JLP in either Nashville or Baton Rouge at the age of 3.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Vollenweider = good samples and chill music. He's aiight in my book. Ponty on the other hand..............

My thoughts exactly

I saw that caverna in the dollarbin and picked it up
    On the other hands this

was barely worth the 50cents

• But JLP kilted it on "Directly From My Heart to You" on this album:

One of the illest violin sounds ever, but I won't speak on his later work.

• Is a brilliant record.

But i just love Patrice Rushen

• But Don 'Sugarcane' Harris[/b] kilted it on "Directly From My Heart to You" on this album:

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Screw 'em both. Y'all need to start fucking with Alan Stivell.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

say what you want about JLP, but this shit kills it.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    ponty plays on zappa's Willie The Pimp

andreas has got mad cosmic / balearic spliff tunes for days

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    But Don 'Sugarcane' Harris[/b] kilted it on "Directly From My Heart to You" on this album:

Beat me to it.

Honestly, there are some decent JL-P moments on the first Mahavishnu (I-MF) and King Kong, as I recall. I haven't listened to either in years.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

amen

• say what you want about JLP, but this shit kills it.
    yeah that's a great record. but george duke on the fender rhodes at that time ('69?) was a big part of the reason why. there is actually some other record of ponty's, i think it's from '71 or '72 which is real good. can't remember the title...

• I like this.

• ponty plays on zappa's Willie The Pimp

andreas has got mad cosmic / balearic spliff tunes for days

I celebrate almost an eight of his catalogue.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

I celebrate almost an eight of his catalogue.

If you bought it to sample then it's your own damn fault. take that shit to the-gheyloops.com

BTW, is this classed New Age Classical music??

• White Winds has those Miami Vice floating through a crystal prism jumpoffs

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

amen

OOO.

I'm not up on JLP's catalogue, but this looks good.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    But Don 'Sugarcane' Harris[/b] kilted it on "Directly From My Heart to You" on this album:

Beat me to it.

Honestly, there are some decent JL-P moments on the first Mahavishnu (I-MF) and King Kong, as I recall. I haven't listened to either in years.

Ponty isn't on "Inner Mounting Flame"; that was Jerry Goodman (ex-Flock). I don't think Ponty joined Mahavishnu until "Apocalypse" in 1974. Some of his Atlantic dollarbincommons have their moments. "Computer Incantations For World Peace" from "Individual Choice" is a favourite of mine - cool new-agey kinda thing, if not quite of the AP private press bloodshitter variety.

That Vollenweider "Caverna Magica" joint is a Sunday morning favourite in the McCoy household.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Jean-Michelle Jarre is worse than both Vollenweider and Ponty combined. I hate Vollenweider more than Ponty though. But Phil Collins tops 'em all. I hate Phil Collins. He sucks!!! Even his early woks. What a wussie.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    In Ponty's defense you gotta add "Sonata Erotica (Live at Montreaux)".

In Vollenweider's defense you gotta add that album he made with whales.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Jean-Michelle Jarre is worse than both Vollenweider and Ponty combined. I hate Vollenweider more than Ponty though. But Phil Collins tops 'em all. I hate Phil Collins. He sucks!!! Even his early woks. What a wussie.

No love for "In the air tonight?"...Peep PHD's track "I can feel it" with Cormegaraer on it...they flipped it nicely...agree on JMJ (no pun intended). But Vollenweider had me living in my headphones back when i wuz younga...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

No love for "In the air tonight?"...Peep PHD's track "I can feel it"

Haha, you'Re kiddin', right? Flipping Phil Collins! hahahahahahaha... no matter who or how, Phil = weaksauce

"I can feel it in the air tonight... but I'm not Phil Collins, I'm more like Henry Rollins!"

• No love for "In the air tonight?"...Peep PHD's track "I can feel it"

Haha, you'Re kiddin', right? Flipping Phil Collins! hahahahahahaha... no matter who or how, Phil = weaksauce

"I can feel it in the air tonight... but I'm not Phil Collins, I'm more like Henry Rollins!"

I'm about to flip Phils "Billy Don't you Lose That Number" wait 'till you hear it.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    J, i wasn't kidding!!! PHD (Poet & Hot Day) already sampled Phil Collins and it sounds dope (just the "I can feel it" line) and progbeatz, "billie don't loose that number" got already flipped by me...watch out for the track to be released soon (actually, it is a mash up with "Return to Atlantis" by LTJ Bukem...both songs play along together for 3 minutes nicely)...stop hattin' on phil!!! Dude is def (pun intended)!!!!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    While I'd rather listen to A. Wollenweider than JL Ponty, I have been somewhat traumatized when it comes to Andreas and his harp, due to overexposure to his records by certain crystal-rubbing New Age members of my family. And no disrespect to Ponty, but when it comes to fiddlers, I'm all about Don and Michal.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Man fuck ponty. Dude is EVERYWHERE around here. Everywhere. Probably creepin up right behind me as I type this.