j-dilla...greatest that ever lived?

13»

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    The man just died and muthafuckas can't even hold their little hateful opinions in for a minute and have an iota of respect. It's fuckin' pitiful, man.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

No one's blaming you. Slurg is the one who had to be an asshole.
    Hey, what are talking about ?
    Someone who thinks Jay Dee is the greatest beatmaker of all time wants to throw a discussion about producers. I just said that Jay Dee is among my 50 favourite producers.
    How is that disrespectful ?

Ok, here's my Jay Dee top 10

Pharcyde : Runnin'
    Tribe Called Quest : That Shit
    Jay Dee : Fuck The Police
    T Love : When You???re Older
    Slum Village : I Don't Know
    Jaylib : The Red
    Phife Dawg : Thought You Was Nice
    De La Soul : Stakes Is High
    Slum Village : Fallin In Love
    Common : I Am Music
    Q Tip : Let???s Ride

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hip hop has been and always will be about talentless kids debating who is the G.O.A.T or what crew is better...standing on the corner arguing for hours about whether G.Rap is better than Kane and Rakim......

if that's what hip hop is about to you, then you need to fall back.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    and whoever started this thread should've known better. now is not the time.

Seriously. As soon as I saw this thread title, I could predict the conversation, because it happens this way every time:

1. "Jay Dee just died; is he the greatest ever?"

2. "It's sad that he died, but let's not go overboard, here. Death doesn't make you the greatest."

3. "Damn, why you gotta hate so much, you hatin' ass hater? The man just died! Show some respect and stop with your hateful hatin', hater!"

(For the record: While I've never particularly been a fan of Jay Dee and have even capped on some of his production around here, I think his death is incredibly tragic and a real loss for a great many people. I wish him RIP, and I wish nothing but the best for his family, friends, loved ones, and others who will feel the loss of Jay Dee in their everyday lives. Regardless of what I think of his production, there's no hate whatsoever right here.)

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Fuck all that! THIS THREAD IS DEFINITELY

Dilla dawg has just passed away two days ago and you're all making lists, yo! this cat is the best! yo! dude is wack...blah...blah... fuck that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should have more RESPECT for a genius like Dilla was {and like he will be, for those who don't understand now}

I'm out.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    then you need to fall back.[/b]

how much did the slangtionary cost you?

look dude....just because you had License to ILL before anyone else in your cul-de-sac does not mean you can redefine hip hop to a few idiots on the internet

and you sound silly talking about not being able to relate unless you bang out beats in the lab considering i'm not familiar with any of your "real world moves"

i won't disrespect this thread anymore...so i'm out...say what you will

peace to you and yours

and God Bless Dilla's legacy

to put closure on this thread... yes, j dilla was the greatest beatmaker that ever lived.
    but that's just my opinion, and i would have told you the same thing a week ago, a month ago, a year ago... if you can't even put jay in your top 20 you're a clown, that's not just my opinion that's a fact.

• It seems like Dilla inspires more haters than any other producer I've ever seen. (of course only on the internet)
    i've never actually met someone who wasn't one way or another a big fan of his work.

That list put up in this post is retarded. Quit trying to discredit the dude. If you don't get why Dilla was great to so many people stay the fuck out of it. Also anybody who thinks all Dilla did was "handclaps" is on crack. You clearly didn't listen to what he did over his career. Stop the hate. I don't know if a lot of you guys are failed producers or whatever but its really pathetic to hate on somebody who just passed. I can't really see why people giving somebody props touches that hate nerve for so many of yall.

He probably is the greatest to me personally, but that's just my opinion. Comparing him to Marley and Pete Rock is pointless. For the record Pete told me he thinks Dilla and Primo are the best ever.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm puttin a stop to this shit right now. Just because he passed away doesn't mean he gets automatic canonization. I'm sorry, y'all better check the history books before u let your emotions cloud your critical eye. Fuck that, Im not havin it.

I'm not down with the whole canonisation thing either, but edpowers made a good point in the other thread about him saving r&b. Now, while I don't necessarily agree with that assertion, I'd definitely say that Dilla changed the way r&b sounded. I mean, two of the most universally-maligned albums of the last eight, ten years are the last two ATCQ records, right? While they're not that good in terms of Tribe's overall output, I have no problem saying that I liked them both when they came out and I still maintain they're nowhere near as bad as most people seem to think, but that's a separate argument. No, the real strength of those records was in Dilla's production. Listen back to something like "4 Moms" on "Love Movement" - throwaway as that track might seem, to me, right there lies the genesis of that whole "neo-soul" sound. And that's just one example - you can hear elements of it all over those two records. Whether or not you might particularly care for that style isn't really the point. The fact is that a lot of people bit that style wholesale, at all levels of the game, and a lot of people built careers off of it. At the time they came out, I used to get into heated arguments about those albums, saying that it might take about ten years for people to recognise it, if they ever did, but they'd prove to be mad influential. Again, a separate argument, and perhaps you could say that Dilla went on to do much better work, but nevertheless I'd still argue that if you wanted to find a clear example of Dilla as innovator, it'd be that. If you look at all the producers that have emerged over the last ten years that have been genuinely innovative and influential, there's only maybe Timbaland and KLC whose shit hasn't (to some extent) involved refining elements of what Dilla was already doing.

its really pathetic to hate on somebody who just passed. I can't really see why people giving somebody props touches that hate nerve for so many of yall.

its really pathetic to hate on somebody who just passed. I can't really see why people giving somebody props touches that hate nerve for so many of yall.

For real dude. Also, while I'm not gonna get drawn into the stupid argument over who's the greatest this much is incontrovertable to me:

1. Jaydee was one of the MOST bitten producers of all time. People chomped on his loosely quantized drums, his basslines, and ESPECIALLY his hanclaps and just ran and ran and ran with them.

2. Jaydee had a HUGE impact on the sound of neo-soul and never really got credit for it. Man, when I listen to those later ATCQ records (which I hated by the way), as well as the first version of the Slum album, I hear the blueprint for every kufi-rap and neo-soul record that came out for YEARS after. This ain't an opinion, it's a fact.

Overall though, let the folks who loved him celebrate his passing and mourn his music. Everyone else shut the fuck up. Do y'all have tourette's of the keyboard? Do you have to respond to every thread? Some of your post counts say "yes".

I hadn't read this when I posted my response, but I agree with every word of this.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    if you can't even put jay in your top 20 you're a clown, that's not just my opinion that's a fact.

Actually thats pretty much your opinion again.

Can we delete this thread please?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm puttin a stop to this shit right now. Just because he passed away doesn't mean he gets automatic canonization. I'm sorry, y'all better check the history books before u let your emotions cloud your critical eye. Fuck that, Im not havin it.

I'm not down with the whole canonisation thing either, but edpowers made a good point in the other thread about him saving r&b. Now, while I don't necessarily agree with that assertion, I'd definitely say that Dilla changed the way r&b sounded. I mean, two of the most universally-maligned albums of the last eight, ten years are the last two ATCQ records, right? While they're not that good in terms of Tribe's overall output, I have no problem saying that I liked them both when they came out and I still maintain they're nowhere near as bad as most people seem to think, but that's a separate argument. No, the real strength of those records was in Dilla's production. Listen back to something like "4 Moms" on "Love Movement" - throwaway as that track might seem, to me, right there lies the genesis of that whole "neo-soul" sound. And that's just one example - you can hear elements of it all over those two records. Whether or not you might particularly care for that style isn't really the point. The fact is that a lot of people bit that style wholesale, at all levels of the game, and a lot of people built careers off of it. At the time they came out, I used to get into heated arguments about those albums, saying that it might take about ten years for people to recognise it, if they ever did, but they'd prove to be mad influential. Again, a separate argument, and perhaps you could say that Dilla went on to do much better work, but nevertheless I'd still argue that if you wanted to find a clear example of Dilla as innovator, it'd be that. If you look at all the producers that have emerged over the last ten years that have been genuinely innovative and influential, there's only maybe Timbaland and KLC whose shit hasn't (to some extent) involved refining elements of what Dilla was already doing.

This is not at all a dis, just an observation, but I think his influence on contemporary R&B may loom larger on your side of the Atlantic than over here.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ill say that im not a fan of anything he did after slum village. the stuff he did on stonesthrow was by far some of the worst music ive heard in a long time... im also not a madlib fan so that album they did, while wasnt as bad as any YNQ garbage, was pretty horrible to my ears.

i pretty much just wanted to write in and say that i have a different opinion than most of you. and if someone has a different perspective or thought on an artist... recently dead or not, like THAT makes a fucking difference... its their right to say whats on their minds be it wrong or right to YOU. folks wrote again and again that hes the greatest and when a few people say no he isnt issues happen from the LOVE side of things. maybe i didnt see what was so disrespectful but i dont think it was as bad as yall running hate towards those that dont think hes that great of a producer.

and do i have to post my photo and make a beat to prove it? (that was the worst thing i read on this whole thread)

im sorry hes dead but i also dont give a fuck if i say his catalog was really turning to crap for ME. let EVERYONE have their opinions and if it riles you up then speak on it... but dont start writing that crap about dude JUST being dead and not to say you dont like his shit... cause thats bullshit.

This is not at all a dis, just an observation, but I think his influence on contemporary R&B may loom larger on your side of the Atlantic than over here.

I dunno, maybe "r&b" was too broad a term for me to use in this context. Still, most UK r&b efforts I hear seem to be in the Timbaland/Organized Noise/R. Kelly kind of area. Stateside, on the other hand, it's a pretty safe bet that whichever girl with an Angela Davis 'do or guy in a Donny Hathaway cap that's being hailed as the next Jill Scott or D'Angelo will have at least a couple of joints on their record that sound like old Dilla beats. I don't think that's necessarily overstating his influence, whichever side of the pond you're on.

I dunno, maybe "r&b" was too broad a term for me to use in this context. Still, most UK r&b efforts I hear seem to be in the Timbaland/Organized Noise/R. Kelly kind of area. Stateside, on the other hand, it's a pretty safe bet that whichever girl with an Angela Davis 'do or guy in a Donny Hathaway cap that's being hailed as the next Jill Scott or D'Angelo will have at least a couple of joints on their record that sound like old Dilla beats. I don't think that's necessarily overstating his influence, whichever side of the pond you're on.

Yeah, the thing is nobody--aside from, like, DustyGroove customers and OkayPlayer posters--is checking for that stuff very heavily over here... I guess I was under the impression that it was more popular on your side of the pond.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Justin,

If this conversation was about an artist that you actually gave a fuck about, I dare say, you'd be singing a different tune if people were going out of their way to shit on an appreciation thread. If Darondo died tomorrow and people wrote in to say, "man, that dude wasn't that good; he was just an Al Green clone, what was the big deal?" I think you - as someone who I KNOW to be passionate about music and especially the people who make it - would be offended at the lack of respect.

The fact that dude just died MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. I don't know why you can't see that.

And hell, I don't even think Dilla is G.O.A.T. But I'm willing to humor people who want to lionize him since, you know, he just died and this is what people do after they die.

ill say that im not a fan of anything he did after slum village. the stuff he did on stonesthrow was by far some of the worst music ive heard in a long time... im also not a madlib fan so that album they did, while wasnt as bad as any YNQ garbage, was pretty horrible to my ears.

i pretty much just wanted to write in and say that i have a different opinion than most of you. and if someone has a different perspective or thought on an artist... recently dead or not, like THAT makes a fucking difference... its their right to say whats on their minds be it wrong or right to YOU. folks wrote again and again that hes the greatest and when a few people say no he isnt issues happen from the LOVE side of things. maybe i didnt see what was so disrespectful but i dont think it was as bad as yall running hate towards those that dont think hes that great of a producer.

and do i have to post my photo and make a beat to prove it? (that was the worst thing i read on this whole thread)

im sorry hes dead but i also dont give a fuck if i say his catalog was really turning to crap for ME. let EVERYONE have their opinions and if it riles you up then speak on it... but dont start writing that crap about dude JUST being dead and not to say you dont like his shit... cause thats bullshit.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Justin,

If this conversation was about an artist that you actually gave a fuck about, I dare say, you'd be singing a different tune if people were going out of their way to shit on an appreciation thread. If Darondo died tomorrow and people wrote in to say, "man, that dude wasn't that good; he was just an Al Green clone, what was the big deal?" I think you - as someone who I KNOW to be passionate about music and especially the people who make it - would be offended at the lack of respect.

The fact that dude just died MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. I don't know why you can't see that.

And hell, I don't even think Dilla is G.O.A.T. But I'm willing to humor people who want to lionize him since, you know, he just died and this is what people do after they die.

actually ive already done the PM thing on multiple boards with folks who dont like Darondos album. i guess i was bothered by some of these folks but its peoples honest opinions. i was heated some but after writing back and forth with a few kids its easy to see what they mean from THEIR perspective. and yeah... he was pretty much just an al green clone with his vocals... IVE SAID THAT SHIT IN AN INTERVIEW... though that isnt the point youre trying to make.

if someone said that darondo was a bitch for leaving the country or that he as a person was wack... then id take offense. it would be bad then. not when it comes to dudes catalog though...

and yeah man i cant see the big deal with folks saying his music isnt that great... if THE LOT OF YOU are going to sit here and say his shit is golden then so be it... just know that some cats arent just going to sit here ON THIS BOARD ESPECIALLY and not write something. DID YALL FORGET THIS IS FUCKING SOULSTRUT WHERE EVERYONE HAS A COMMENT?!?

and dead or not cuz... im going to write that i didnt care for his music. sorry that those of us who said we didnt like his shit as much as yall got panties bunched up and heated foreheads but oh well... this is soulstrut.

i will say though that i wouldnt walk up on his momma and say that shit... now THAT is disrespectful...

...to me.

and dead or not cuz... im going to write that i didnt care for his music. sorry that those of us who said we didnt like his shit as much as yall got panties bunched up and heated foreheads but oh well... this is soulstrut.

you don't have to like the guys music to see that he was an important figure in the game, and the reason why he means a lot to a lot of different people...

and if you don't like his shit you don't have to come in here yappin trying to discredit everything the man's done. i mean is that really difficult for people to understand? i know this is soulstrut and hating is a full time occupation for a lot of people, but seriously right now you need to find something else to hate on.

this man and his music meant a lot to a lot of people on this board since he is a man that embodies hip hop and crate diggin culture, and did so all the way to the end, never settling with fitting in with trends and staying popular. also it seems a bunch of guys here measure greatness with popularity and sales, and that's baffling to me, since we all know that some of the best music recorded was not popular at the time of it's release, and had a very small audience.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    this is soulstrut

hating is our full time occupation

• Overall though, let the folks who loved him celebrate his passing and mourn his music. Everyone else shut the fuck up. Do y'all have tourette's of the keyboard? Do you have to respond to every thread? Some of your post counts say "yes".

lol..

• My 0.02

DrBrown said it best (influencing the new-soul movement of the mid 90's and being copied by everyone from up and comers to superstars like Kanye, The Neptunes, Timbaland, etc), but I also wanted to add that his influences was across genres. Everything from Hip-Hop, Soul, and genres like House & Broken Beat have all been influencesdby Dilla.

I'll take a bit of a comfort that even though KMEL or MTV won't run a story on him that there are people not only in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, NY, but folks acorss the world that are moved by his passing. I mean SA-RA ,whom many say are "the next " super-producers, started their set on Friday night with a Dilla tribute as well as DJ Rhattmatic did a lengthy Dilla tribute set as well.

I mean, I'm not an emotional dude as I once was, but I got a little choked up hearing about it/reading on what had happend. I felt like a not only an artist I enjoyed was gone but a big artistic inspiration went away too soon.

Also I really don't see what people are talking about this whole "canonizing" thing. People where already considering Dilla one of the greatest already.

SA-RA ,whom many say are "the next " super-producers

Loosen your kufi there, li'l fella.

• what an ugly thread to drag dilla's name into...

• SA-RA ,whom many say are "the next " super-producers

Loosen your kufi there, li'l fella.

stop being a fucking asshole for once, D.

b/w

Some Say = Not me, I'm just repeating what the "Streets" are saying. I think they the make interesting music that is pretty different and extremely original, but I still only "feel" a few songs here and there.

• ill say that im not a fan of anything he did after slum village. the stuff he did on stonesthrow was by far some of the worst music ive heard in a long time... im also not a madlib fan so that album they did, while wasnt as bad as any YNQ garbage, was pretty horrible to my ears.

Word. Even though "The Red" & "The Offical" are some of my top Dilla beats and verses, that album kinda seemed like "hey let's have fun and put out album for the fuck of it". I mean Madlib was really just an anchor weighing that project down.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    tourette's of the keyboard

---

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I used to get into heated arguments about those albums.

Getting into heated arguments over hip hop albums is not hip hop

• jay dee interviews, for those who care.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=296416

rip

I used to get into heated arguments about those albums.

Getting into heated arguments over hip hop albums is not hip hop

Hahaha! Well, I've been told by people who know about these things that getting into heated arguments about Pac's albums if you're in Oakland can be hazardous to your health, so...