j-dilla...greatest that ever lived?

Comments

• You guys are fucked up for talking shit about dude when he just died. Let people celebrate his life and career, this type of shit is some real genuine hate.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Let people celebrate his life and career

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "opinions are insupportable"
    "history books"
    "not having it"

c'mon, who really appointed y'all to regulate?

dont be insensitive. there are people who have been really affected. dont shit on them. you'd be sounding "mad "

The GREATEST??? Who will you be anoiting this term to in 5 years?

Dont do HipHOp a Diservice by placing Kevin Garnett along side Bill Russell.

Greatest to u in your mind garden does not = Greatest to the entire HIPHOP landscape. You omit all the cats who influened him........

And dont confuse my hate for your critique as hate for Jay Dee. Do not get it twisted.

You can't compare dudes from completely different eras with Jay Dee.

WTF???

The question was "greatest that ever lived?"

So If you dont compare him to the entire Lifespan of HIPHOP, then who do u compare him to? Dead country producers? C'mon, Iz he untouchable?

• People can say he's not the greatest in their opinion without disrespecting a dead man. Decent people can, anyway.

this thread is ridiculous.

I'm out of this one.

• Greatest to u in your mind garden does not = Greatest to the entire HIPHOP landscape.

"landscape". whats with the objective terminology? Greatest to me in my mind garden does not = Greatest in YOUR mind garden.

and even if you were right about this "landscape"...so? its my opinion.
    god forbid, right? (*sarcasm)

You omit all the cats who influened him........

but he's just as much an individual. we'd all be championing cavemen or tribal drum circles then, if you cant like someone who was "influenced". but we dont want to sound rediculous.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

but we dont want to sound rediculous.

• this thread is ridiculous.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Seriously!!...I love Dilla shit..leave it at that there is no greatest...hip hop is to diverse and there has been so much history that this thread is just gonna lead to cats runnin around in circles gettin butt hurt

• You can't compare dudes from completely different eras with Jay Dee.

WTF???

The question was "greatest that ever lived?"

So If you dont compare him to the entire Lifespan of HIPHOP, then who do u compare him to? Dead country producers? C'mon, Iz he untouchable?

Compare him to people from his era. It seems like Dilla inspires more haters than any other producer I've ever seen. (of course only on the internet) That list put up in this post is retarded. Quit trying to discredit the dude. If you don't get why Dilla was great to so many people stay the fuck out of it. Also anybody who thinks all Dilla did was "handclaps" is on crack. You clearly didn't listen to what he did over his career. Stop the hate. I don't know if a lot of you guys are failed producers or whatever but its really pathetic to hate on somebody who just passed. I can't really see why people giving somebody props touches that hate nerve for so many of yall.

He probably is the greatest to me personally, but that's just my opinion. Comparing him to Marley and Pete Rock is pointless. For the record Pete told me he thinks Dilla and Primo are the best ever.

• its really pathetic to hate on somebody who just passed. I can't really see why people giving somebody props touches that hate nerve for so many of yall.

its really pathetic to hate on somebody who just passed. I can't really see why people giving somebody props touches that hate nerve for so many of yall.

its really pathetic to hate on somebody who just passed. I can't really see why people giving somebody props touches that hate nerve for so many of yall.

For real dude. Also, while I'm not gonna get drawn into the stupid argument over who's the greatest this much is incontrovertable to me:

1. Jaydee was one of the MOST bitten producers of all time. People chomped on his loosely quantized drums, his basslines, and ESPECIALLY his hanclaps and just ran and ran and ran with them.

2. Jaydee had a HUGE impact on the sound of neo-soul and never really got credit for it. Man, when I listen to those later ATCQ records (which I hated by the way), as well as the first version of the Slum album, I hear the blueprint for every kufi-rap and neo-soul record that came out for YEARS after. This ain't an opinion, it's a fact.

Overall though, let the folks who loved him celebrate his passing and mourn his music. Everyone else shut the fuck up. Do y'all have tourette's of the keyboard? Do you have to respond to every thread? Some of your post counts say "yes".

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

1. Jaydee was one of the MOST bitten producers of all time.

and leave it at that

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Compare him to people from his era.

Timbaland is a greater producer than Jay Dee.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Compare him to people from his era.

Timbaland is a greater producer than Jay Dee.

this thread is ridiculous
    *this is directed to everybody*

Celray and Jake said everything I wanted to. Why do people want want to throw gas on the fire? You don't like him? Fine. But is there really a need to say who you think is better than him?
    He was one (if not the[/b], IMO) of the greatest of all time. Let's just leave it at that.

Keep your jabs to yourself for once and respect this dude's passing and what he did for music.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    But is there really a need to say who you think is better than him?

i was merely responding to jake's demand for a comparison from this era.

• But is there really a need to say who you think is better than him?

i was merely responding to jake's demand for a comparison from this era.

No you were just showing your hate for the man once again. OKAY a lot of you guys don't like the beats Jay Dee made. Leave this shit alone. For real. Its not funny. Go discover some reigonal rap. Maybe I can get EA Ski to give you a interview about Sonya C's lost sessions. Really dude. Shit is in poor taste.

Shit is in poor taste.

let's talk hiphop producers, shall we?

Reading is fundamental.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think Dilla was GOAT but the pissy attitudes in this thread are an even worse look than the instant canonization.

If people want to be fanboys for a bit, LET THEM. Jesus christ, the Strut has no fucking concept of basic civility.

What's next? "Coretta Scott King = overrated?"

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    And this thread is ridiculous.

First time agreeing with FAUX

pointless..

plus given his passing: no class! Please stop or at least dont talk of dilla

Imagine someone having a wack discussion about who was the hottest sister in your family at her funeral

• It's threads like this that make me wanna just be through with this cesspool called the internet period, let alone soulstrut. Too many fuckin' assholes given free reign to spout any fuckin' stupid ass garbage they want to. The man just died and muthafuckas can't even hold their little hateful opinions in for a minute and have an iota of respect. It's fuckin' pitiful, man.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I didn't mean any disrespect at all. I thought dude who started this thread really wanted a discussion about producers, thats why I threw a couple more names out there? No hate here whatsoever. Shit, sorry if I pissed in anyones cereal

I didn't mean any disrespect at all. I thought dude who started this thread really wanted a discussion about producers, thats why I threw a couple more names out there? No hate here whatsoever. Shit, sorry if I pissed in anyones cereal

No one's blaming you. Slurg is the one who had to be an asshole.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

No one's blaming you. Slurg is the one who had to be an asshole....AND BATMON [/b]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this thread is making my blood boil, i have to say something...

anyone who's ever made a beat knows what's up. all you dudes who sit around critiquing everything, thinking that your opinion is gold, are herbs. post your mug and a beat you made if you're so high and mighty. otherwise you're just a lil bitch ass with a big mouth.

and whoever started this thread should've known better. now is not the time.

Co-sign.

this thread is making my blood boil, i have to say something...

anyone who's ever made a beat knows what's up. all you dudes who sit around critiquing everything, thinking that your opinion is gold, are herbs. post your mug and a beat you made if you're so high and mighty. otherwise you're just a lil bitch ass with a big mouth.

dude...calm down

i'm sure homie who started the thread meant no harm...just like those who posted their lists meant no harm....a few folks went overboard and started disrespecting Dilla and that was unnecessary (bad timing)......all this nonsense about not critiquing hip hop is fag shit.....hip hop has been and always will be about talentless kids debating who is the G.O.A.T or what crew is better...standing on the corner arguing for hours about whether G.Rap is better than Kane and Rakim......

i agree it's wrong to be critiquing Dilla when he hasn't been dead a week yet....but saying dudes shouldn't have opinions because they don't make beats is suburban punk shit

have a nice day...

here we go.....

i agree it's wrong to be critiquing Dilla when he hasn't been dead a week three days[/b] yet.

Two days if you count when the thread started. It's just in poor taste.

It's just in poor taste.

i agree...bad judgement by the author

but this is hilarity, beyond ridiculous and even sad