Sometimes I feel like mofos here need to STFU

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

if it wasn't for procrastinating at work would any of us be here now?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    no offense but that reynaldo scale thing is retarded...

cosign, shit is straight up embarrassing

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It brings in mad myspace groupies though.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    dude you mean to tell me that the LOVELITES was like some kind of unknown record before people started talking about it on soulstrut?

you gotta be kidding me!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH AHH AHH AHHA HA HA AH A HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Lovelites has always been sought-after, just like Archie Whitewater and Eddie Kendricks. It is far tougher to find than either of those but I digress...

What the internet does is take a given title and whip little dudes up into a frenzy where they pop a hardcore boner and fling some ridiculous sum at a record, thus changing the price dynamic, the demand, the arbitrary wholesale value a dealer might ascribe to it, etc... it's like breeding a herd of mini-marcofunks.

It sounds to me like the gripe is that someone has offered public (to the extent that the internet is public) praise to a record that then makes it more difficult for you (and others) to purchase the record at a price that you believe is substantially beneath the value of the record to collectors, music lovers, or "little dudes". If you don't believe the record is worth the price at which it is being sold, then don't buy the record.

Sharing knowledge of music helps the community.

"We are ugly but we have the music."

JRoot

true dat

• this whole thread reminds me of the scene in high fidelity when jack black character wouldn't sell that guy his copy of safe as milk.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    dude you mean to tell me that the LOVELITES was like some kind of unknown record before people started talking about it on soulstrut?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH AHH AHH AHHA HA HA AH A HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Lovelites has always been sought-after, just like Archie Whitewater and Eddie Kendricks. It is far tougher to find than either of those but I digress...

What the internet does is take a given title and whip little dudes up into a frenzy where they pop a hardcore boner and fling some ridiculous sum at a record, thus changing the price dynamic, the demand, the arbitrary wholesale value a dealer might ascribe to it, etc... it's like breeding a herd of mini-marcofunks.

It sounds to me like the gripe is that someone has offered public (to the extent that the internet is public) praise to a record that then makes it more difficult for you (and others) to purchase the record at a price that you believe is substantially beneath the value of the record to collectors, music lovers, or "little dudes". If you don't believe the record is worth the price at which it is being sold, then don't buy the record.

JRoot

It's a little more complicated--he's actually the person that publicized the record (of which he already owns a copy) and now regrets the unforeseen catnip-like effect that doing so has had on little dudes the world over.

• ryanryan 334 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

only when approved by NYC record store owners apparently.

this whole thread is sour grapes

• It's a little more complicated--he's actually the person that publicized the record (of which he already owns a copy) and now regrets the unforeseen catnip-like effect that doing so has had on little dudes the world over.
    What did he expect? He posted a relatively unknown great soul record on soulstrut.com. I just never got the hatred on great records on the tepid funk thread. I was shaking my head on that one.

• dude you mean to tell me that the LOVELITES was like some kind of unknown record before people started talking about it on soulstrut?

JRoot

What's up man! Not that simple - if it were I would just say "tough tittie" and go on to find some other cheap record.

On the one hand, there are lots of places to get records and most of them check the internet - many of the dealers I buy from mark down prices wholesale because I will buy a lot and come back often, not because they don't think a record's worth anything. I'm not mad that I can't get a particular record for cheap anymore - I'm mad when a wholesaler says "THAT RECORD JUST WENT FOR $200!" when at all other times it has been half that.

On the other hand, I'm pretty free with information here in my shop - showing folks records, recommending titles, pulling stuff from backstock or from home. When someone then takes that info, yaps it to anyone who will listen, and in turn creates a frenzy for the record, it is disrespectful to me. It's my business to find records that are semi-under-the-radar and under the price I charge, so it's really not in my best interest to run with kids who have diarreah of the mouth... because that inhibits my ability to continue being that open. I am free with information under the assumption that the person I'm dealing with has respect for something said in confidence.

where's the waaaaaambulance?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Man, there are way too many obtuse collectors. I would not like to relinquish all knowledge dropping to hanging out with people like them on a personal, real-world level.

It's a little more complicated--he's actually the person that publicized the record (of which he already owns a copy) and now regrets the unforeseen catnip-like effect that doing so has had on little dudes the world over.

What did he expect? He posted a relatively unknown great soul record on soulstrut.com. I just never got the hatred on great records on the tepid funk thread. I was shaking my head on that one.

This is a legitimately great record--what does it have to do with the TFT thread?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

On the one hand, there are lots of places to get records .........

On the other hand, I'm pretty free with information here in my shop - showing folks......

on the other hand, i'm having trouble finding "stronger than sampson" 12" for $2..........

• i actually didn't post this b/c of lovelites, but yeah I learned my lesson on that one.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    i actually didn't post this b/c of lovelites, but yeah I learned my lesson on that one.

The real test of this theory will be what happens when one goes up for auction. People finding copies on their own (outside of eBay) won't do very much for any kind of global price hike.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jonny.....do what all the NYC Doo-Wop guys USED to do.....show them a "rare" record that you have 50-60 copies of and then when the word hits the street you win the LP lottery!!!

• On the one hand, there are lots of places to get records .........

On the other hand, I'm pretty free with information here in my shop - showing folks......

on the other hand, i'm having trouble finding "stronger than sampson" 12" for $2..........

You were right on that one too, I put it out for $20 and it was GONE!

You gotta hit more Fulton St thrifts...

• It's a little more complicated--he's actually the person that publicized the record (of which he already owns a copy) and now regrets the unforeseen catnip-like effect that doing so has had on little dudes the world over.

This is a legitimately great record--what does it have to do with the TFT thread?

just the weird mentality on this site. We can share knowledge on music just as long as it doesn't bring the prices up, secret spots, hiding labels, real headz, little dudes. It's weird...that is all.

i actually didn't post this b/c of lovelites, but yeah I learned my lesson on that one.

The real test of this theory will be what happens when one goes up for auction. People finding copies on their own (outside of eBay) won't do very much for any kind of global price hike.

Honestly, 99% of little dudes who frenzy for said flavor of the month hot titles will recoil in horror when faced with actually spending money.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    On the one hand, there are lots of places to get records and most of them check the internet - many of the dealers I buy from mark down prices wholesale because I will buy a lot and come back often, not because they don't think a record's worth anything. I'm not mad that I can't get a particular record for cheap anymore - I'm mad when a wholesaler says "THAT RECORD JUST WENT FOR $200!" when at all other times it has been half that.

The wholesaler who regularly gives you breaks in price, essentially volume discounts, is upset because he feels like he parted with a record for below the price that he could have obtained for the record, and he takes it out on you. It's irrational to blame you for his decision to cut the price, or to blame you for the market movement in your favor. You both take risks that the market will move. The wholesaler's risk is that the market will suddenly experience an uptick in value of the record. Your risk, as it relates to the purchase from the wholesaler, is that the market will move the other way. (Of course, you share the wholesaler's risk after you have set the price for and sold the records. Perhaps this is why you are upset?)

On the other hand, I'm pretty free with information here in my shop - showing folks records, recommending titles, pulling stuff from backstock or from home. When someone then takes that info, yaps it to anyone who will listen, and in turn creates a frenzy for the record, it is disrespectful to me. It's my business to find records that are semi-under-the-radar and under the price I charge, so it's really not in my best interest to run with kids who have diarreah of the mouth... because that inhibits my ability to continue being that open. I am free with information under the assumption that the person I'm dealing with has respect for something said in confidence.

Freedom with information within a retail record store serves two very important goals: it builds respect and loyalty from your customer population and it helps you sell records. If you become yet another tight-lipped record dealer, you will have fewer customers, you will enjoy selling records less, and you will sell fewer records.

I have no idea what record or records set this off, but the odds are low that I have them in my collection (or would pay an exorbitant price to get them in my collection). For the most part, I'm happy with my $10 Curtis Mayfield records. And some would claim that I overpaid.

JRoot

Honestly, 99% of little dudes who frenzy for said flavor of the month hot titles will recoil in horror when faced with actually spending money.

Perhaps what he is getting at is the fact that it is not always so easy for Big Dudes for whom records are merely one aspect of The Lifestyle???--which extends to purchasing thousand dollar mattresses, icey cufflinks and fine cuisine--to compete with Little Dudes that are willing to live with their moms and dine on Ramen every night in order to beat us out of a LoveLites LP...

Perhaps what he is getting at is the fact that it is not always so easy for Big Dudes for whom records are merely one aspect of The Lifestyle???--which extends to purchasing thousand dollar mattresses, icey cufflinks and fine cuisine--to compete with Little Dudes that are willing to live with their moms and dine on Ramen every night in order to beat us out of a LoveLites LP...

• On the one hand, there are lots of places to get records and most of them check the internet - many of the dealers I buy from mark down prices wholesale because I will buy a lot and come back often, not because they don't think a record's worth anything. I'm not mad that I can't get a particular record for cheap anymore - I'm mad when a wholesaler says "THAT RECORD JUST WENT FOR $200!" when at all other times it has been half that.

The wholesaler who regularly gives you breaks in price, essentially volume discounts, is upset because he feels like he parted with a record for below the price that he could have obtained for the record, and he takes it out on you. It's irrational to blame you for his decision to cut the price, or to blame you for the market movement in your favor. You both take risks that the market will move. The wholesaler's risk is that the market will suddenly experience an uptick in value of the record. Your risk, as it relates to the purchase from the wholesaler, is that the market will move the other way. (Of course, you share the wholesaler's risk after you have set the price for and sold the records. Perhaps this is why you are upset?)

Freedom with information within a retail record store serves two very important goals: it builds respect and loyalty from your customer population and it helps you sell records. If you become yet another tight-lipped record dealer, you will have fewer customers, you will enjoy selling records less, and you will sell fewer records.

I have no idea what record or records set this off, but the odds are low that I have them in my collection (or would pay an exorbitant price to get them in my collection). For the most part, I'm happy with my $10 Curtis Mayfield records. And some would claim that I overpaid.

JRoot

I like being free with information, i don't like for people to take advantage of that freedom.... it's like if you tell someone something in confidence and then they post it on their blog.

As for the wholesale thing, it's just business - if I'm buying a $100 record for $50, and all of a sudden now it's $100 under the assumption that the going rate has doubled, well. You can see how that would tick me off. I can always choose not to buy it or not to deal with the wholesaler. I have made that choice before in certain situations.

Did someone from this site actually go running their mouth about something you told them about??? If so, that is a bit different, IMO & I can see why you'd be pissed.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Honestly, 99% of dudes and dudettes who frenzy for said flavor of the month hot titles will recoil in horror when they actually hear said flavour.

Did someone from this site actually go running their mouth about something you told them about??? If so, that is a bit different, IMO & I can see why you'd be pissed.

I am shocked that you would suggest that anybody on SoulStrut--even hypothetically--would go "running their mouth" about anything!

Honestly, 99% of dudes and dudettes who frenzy for said flavor of the month hot titles will recoil in horror when they actually hear said flavour.

• Did someone from this site actually go running their mouth about something you told them about??? If so, that is a bit different, IMO & I can see why you'd be pissed.

It's a fine line though, I mean honestly I sell records to a lot of folks on this site and most of the time they are posted in finds threads... which btw I have never really been down with either! lol. Yeah that's kind of what happened but I'm not about to put anyone on blast so I'll just let the thread be what it is.

Compare to when someone finds a box of a record, and sells a few copies... telling people, "please don't put this on ebay or mention that quantity turned up" and then someone starts throwing a copy up on ebay every week. True stories...