Stop trying so hard

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Related to the Young Jeezy conversation: Dudes round here seem to be adorning themselves in gangsta-fied rap albums the way that Barbie would dress for a date with black Ken. And that's not to say that Jeezy's album shouldn't be liked and recognized as crucial.It's to say that some of y'all are going overboard with your projected image as a down-ass white boy. I mean, I want to discuss what has been identified as suburban carpetbaggeurs getting overzealous about hood stars poisoning their communities with drugs and violence.And I want to discuss why it's so imperative right now to disassociate with so-called-conscious, seemingly-anti-thug rap. I'm just not sure if I want to discuss it with y'all. Let's see what this post strums up though...

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I think you might have hit on something, but I have a feeling this discussion is going to be another 10 page project blowed thread...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    All hip-hop threads where people speak for what's hot in the "streets" is nothing but satire. Knowingly or unknowingly.

PROVE THAT YOUR E-PERSPECTIVE IS RELEVANT.

I enjoy all kinds of hip-hop.

Speaking for the "streets" from your office or laptop is irony in itself.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

All hip-hop threads where people speak for what's hot in the "streets" is nothing but satire.

I doubt that. Dudes are really speakin' from the heart.

All hip-hop threads where people speak for what's hot in the "streets" is nothing but satire.

You can speak from your heart and out of your ass at the same time as long as you believe what you're saying is relevant.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

so disconnected

so disconnected

That is the crux right there. I've never claimed to be connected. I'm but a bystander, and I'm OK with that.

You can speak from your heart and out of your ass at the same time as long as you believe what you're saying is relevant.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

so disconnected

That is the crux right there. I've never claimed to be connected. I'm but a bystander, and I'm OK with that.

well I'm sure you know this was a joke. But it bares some truth on the attitude of certain people on this board, no?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

there's not much more that needs to be added to this thread.

• Ive never heard Young Jeezy, is he good???

there's not much more that needs to be added to this thread.

Streets have laptops too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    A question to ask yourself before you get all worked up: would anybody actually have liked the Common album better if he'd talked that crack talk?

• A question to ask yourself before you get all worked up: would anybody actually have liked the Common album better if he'd talked that crack talk?

No, but I would have liked the Young Jeezy album a whole lot better
    if he had rapped about spiritual flows, herbs, parents and macrame diapers.

Thanks for asking.

A question to ask yourself before you get all worked up: would anybody actually have liked the Common album better if he'd talked that crack talk?

Thanks for asking.

How about the healing powers of crystals? You feeling that?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

macrame diapers.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Thanks for asking.

This is a good point...which illustrates that many seem to get the concept of being a soldier confused with being a shithead.

A young man working against the odds and prepared to do whatever it takes to bring justice to himself and his family/community = commendable.

A dude who decides to sell crack instead of getting 9-to-5 just so that he can buy his 500th pair of overpriced sneakers, 4 different grills, and 3 equally ridiculous tricked-out rides = nice music maybe, but ultimately fuck you.

I speak from my assheart.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

This is a good point...which illustrates that many seem to get the concept of being a soldier confused with being a shithead.

A young man working against the odds and prepared to do whatever it takes to bring justice to himself and his family/community

A dude who decides to sell crack instead of getting 9-to-5 just so that he can buy his 500th pair of overpriced sneakers, 4 different grills, and 3 equally ridiculous tricked-out rides

What if your second example (getting paid, material goods and comforts that the establishment enjoys, etc) is someone???s idea of ???justice????

• This is a good point...which illustrates that many seem to get the concept of being a soldier confused with being a shithead.

A young man working against the odds and prepared to do whatever it takes to bring justice to himself and his family/community

A dude who decides to sell crack instead of getting 9-to-5 just so that he can buy his 500th pair of overpriced sneakers, 4 different grills, and 3 equally ridiculous tricked-out rides

What if your second example (getting paid, material goods and comforts that the establishment enjoys, etc) is someone???s idea of ???justice????

ooh the relativity defense....
    sub question: is there such a thing as evil? or justice?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I dunno, ask the loved ones of someone that said do-gooder turned out.

It's certainly a fine line.

But that's just it...obvious outsiders are now acting like Jeezy should be given the keys to the city for being a Snowman.

It's far too absolute an embrace of a touchy subject that only comes from being disconnected from it.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Ive never heard Young Jeezy, is he good???

Disconnected from the streets mane.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

• Ive never heard Young Jeezy, is he good???

but connected to the cosmos...

• I agree with the first post. If you are living a lifestyle similar to Young Jeezy or grew up around it, than I can see why you might be riding so hard for him. But if you didn't, then you can still be a fan of his music, but please stop acting like the content of his lyrics has such broad relevancy.

Jeezy's lyrics are entertainment first, and a far second, they might bear some minor incite into black culture. However, if the latter is what you are after, then why don't you pick up a book, watch the news or read the paper. There are plenty of black authors who have a hell of lot more incite and relevancy into Black Culture.

Nobody is going to look back on Young Jeezy and say that he was a strong voice for Black America or that he painted a picture of anything more than that Snowman.

Jeezy's lyrics are entertainment first, and a far second, they might bear some minor incite into black culture. However, if the latter is what you are after, then why don't you pick up a book, watch the news or read the paper. There are plenty of black authors who have a hell of lot more incite and relevancy into Black Culture.

Why do you assume that Jeezy's fans view these sources of information as mutually exclusive?

Maybe people listen to Jeezy and watch the news.

And do you dispute that it is possible to convey certain truths through artistic expression that are not as easily reached through a news broadcast? Because if you do, I wonder what you are even doing on a record nerd discussion board.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Dudes round here seem to be adorning themselves in gangsta-fied rap albums the way that Barbie would dress for a date with black Ken.

i am enjoying this analogy.

Dudes round here seem to be adorning themselves in gangsta-fied rap albums the way that Barbie would dress for a date with black Ken.

i am enjoying this analogy.

There's a black ken?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Ive never heard Young Jeezy, is he good???

but connected to the cosmos...

"Streets is watching, son!"