NEW WAX PO'

Comments

• i just got a subscription as a gift for my 30th birthday so i'm full of waxpo love since it's free for a year!

that said...and since this is soulstrut...my eternal gripe:

they stopped writing about deep disco and 12"s in general...they used to have this great 12X12 feature that was dropped and then replaced with long, meandering articles about john klemmer and joe zawinal...please bring back the disco!

They had 12X12 in the last issue dude (the one with Axelrod on the cover). Someone must have heard your complaint.

My issue with the magazine is I wish they covered more 60s jazz and 60s soul. They do a fair amount on funk and way too much on 70's jazz fusion. Also, more Latin coverage would be a plus.

they did a good article on fania a while back. But more raer latin stuff would be good. We could try and convince Rey to give a buyers guide for latin funk or funky latin

• My issue with the magazine is I wish they covered more 60s jazz and 60s soul. They do a fair amount on funk and way too much on 70's jazz fusion. Also, more Latin coverage would be a plus.

I think in general it can open up a lil' more. Do an article on 80s dancehall, or 50s RnB sevens. Center it around the golden funk/hip hop era sure, but branch out to give the magazine a lil' more depth. Lately they haven't put pictures of the releases or labels with the artists interview, sometimes. When they do its tight, like the Mulatu scans, but they didn't with Blowfly, and pics of those covers woulda been nice.

That being said, they still are running tings on the zine tip, tho I would call it more an art quarterly like Granta or some shit. An essential purchase, serious , much respeck to all involved, Andre, Dante, Monkone, Robbie Bush, etc, etc...

PS...lookout for my girl's mother's day article forthcoming.

$??

• Come on yall. Is there another mag better than this on Soulstrut related topics? If you want more 80s dancehall or 50s lounge, write an article! If you can produce, I bet they will publish.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Do an article on 80s dancehall

They did have an article on Prince Jammy and the Sleng Teng 'computer' era in issue #13 (Meters cover). There will always be subjects that one wishes they would cover, but I'm just grateful that there even exists a publication like Wax Poetics. I think they do a great job. No gripes from me.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm just grateful that there even exists a publication like Wax Poetics. I think they do a great job. No gripes from me.

Someone's putting in the work, which is appreciated. Gripers step off and start more zines/books like Wax Poetics and I will gladly put money in your pockets, too.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Sad to say I didn't renew my subscription. Way too many issues gone unread. Pretty pictures, though.

sleepy sloth?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    If you want more 80s dancehall or 50s lounge, write an article! If you can produce, I bet they will publish.

that said, ground lift magazine will pay for and publish any story that WP cans. pm holler

Gripers step off and start more zines/books like Wax Poetics and I will gladly put money in your pockets, too.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Sad to say I didn't renew my subscription. Way too many issues gone unread. Pretty pictures, though.

Yea the pics are great. I just hate when the pages get stuck together.

• They had 12X12 in the last issue dude (the one with Axelrod on the cover). Someone must have heard your complaint.

My issue with the magazine is I wish they covered more 60s jazz and 60s soul. They do a fair amount on funk and way too much on 70's jazz fusion. Also, more Latin coverage would be a plus.

well, having one 12X12 every year or two is nice but i still wish it was a regular feature. there's nothing like it in the new issue right?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

They had 12X12 in the last issue dude (the one with Axelrod on the cover). Someone must have heard your complaint.

well, having one 12X12 every year or two is nice but i still wish it was a regular feature. there's nothing like it in the new issue right?

No, there is a 12X12 in issue 15, focused on female fronted 12"s

Just got mine today, really haven't had time to read more than just the ads, a couple of things--Daptone's reissuing the first two Sugarman 3 albums and the Poets of Rhythm Practice What You Preach (page 21) and on page 97, coming soon from the Plug Label: "Kingstrumentales"?!?!?

Shouldn't they have called it Patstrumentals?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I don't mind waxpo but I've long ago stopped buying them. A lot of the articles read like a jr dissertation, the prose was quite snooze inducing to say the least. I am not discrediting the information, as it is quite detailed, but the method of delivery could use some work. Even if Big Daddy/Grand Slam had loads of typos, their sense of humour shown through. I found that much more enjoyable.

Also the topics broached are a bit zzz to me, I'm just not that interested in another axelrod piece or the self congratulatory look at all the laaar joints I found on my road trip articles.

Even though I don't buy it anymore, I am glad it is an available option. I'm trying to live w/ less clutter, and magazines certainly do not help with that. Although I'm enjoying a gift subscription to Saveur right aboot noooo.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I don't mind waxpo but I've long ago stopped buying them. A lot of the articles read like a jr dissertation, the prose was quite snooze inducing to say the least. I am not discrediting the information, as it is quite detailed, but the method of delivery could use some work. Even if Big Daddy/Grand Slam had loads of typos, their sense of humour shown through. I found that much more enjoyable.

Also the topics broached are a bit zzz to me, I'm just not that interested in another axelrod piece or the self congratulatory look at all the laaar joints I found on my road trip articles.

Even though I don't buy it anymore, I am glad it is an available option. I'm trying to live w/ less clutter, and magazines certainly do not help with that. Although I'm enjoying a gift subscription to Saveur right aboot noooo.

I dig wax po and my saveur subscription is ending up on the back burner.
    Vice then wax po then the rest...

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    late pass, but why in the hell does it take an issue so long to come in the mail?

By the way, my wife asked me this the other day: since I did something on the Sylvers II album for this issue, if I also happened to be selling a few sealed OGs of it, would that be a conflict of interest as well?

i am no randy cohen, but my two cents is that it would be ethically questionable if you wrote about the record in the hopes of promoting the record for your own self gain--this is why magazines have advertising. however, if you acquired the records after the fact, no biggie.

anyway, people who have given up on WP should read the new issue--its one of the better issues that's come out in a while.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    late pass, but why in the hell does it take an issue so long to come in the mail?

Dude, I haven't gotten my issue yet and I write for these guys. (They do pay on time though which I suppose is even more immportant).

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I don't mind waxpo but I've long ago stopped buying them.

• so i'm a dumbass...there's totally a 12X12 in the new issue and it's pretty nice...some raers and commons which is always a good look.

and the mizell article is nice...as is the rediscovery, axelrod, skull snaps, etc. waxpo rocks!

and with the subscription it came with a free 7" of some sample-based hip-hop that was decent and then a bunch of stickers.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't mind waxpo but I've long ago stopped buying them.

It's definitely a flawed publication, but I think they've gotten a lot better during the ~4 years that they've been in existence.

Yes, a two-part feature on David Axelrod is something that has zero appeal to me, but what about pieces like the one on the Mizell brothers? There really wasn't anything comparable to that in the early issues... don't tell me you actually miss the photo spreads of DJs' bedrooms or the rap 12" features in which the only unifying theme of the records survey is that they were all (kind of) expensive?

I think emphasizing music and the people who make it over collector nerdery is a good thing.

• The interview with french photographer Guy Kopelowicz and the pictures that went along with it were good. The problem is they give you 3 pages of that and 10 pages of Axelrod. Some of the Axelrod stuff was interesting, but it could have been paired down to a couple of pages.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The interview with french photographer Guy Kopelowicz and the pictures that went along with it were good. The problem is they give you 3 pages of that and 10 pages of Axelrod. Some of the Axelrod stuff was interesting, but it could have been paired down to a couple of pages.

It definitely didn't need to stretch over two issues. If you're going to do it, though, why not just stick with a straight interview and some previously unpublished photos? Does anybody get excited over a pictorial gallery of Letta Mbulu and Don Randi terds?

• They had 12X12 in the last issue dude (the one with Axelrod on the cover). Someone must have heard your complaint.

No, there is a 12X12 in issue 15, focused on female fronted 12"s

Just got mine today, really haven't had time to read more than just the ads, a couple of things--Daptone's reissuing the first two Sugarman 3 albums and the Poets of Rhythm Practice What You Preach (page 21) and on page 97, coming soon from the Plug Label: "Kingstrumentales"?!?!?

Shouldn't they have called it Patstrumentals?

ON BLAST!

It's a Japan Only release for the summer. I'll have some copies to sell/give away. Just like 10 beats some on some brazilian shit to some on the "reconstruct a classic into glitchy little pieces" ish.

• The interview with french photographer Guy Kopelowicz and the pictures that went along with it were good. The problem is they give you 3 pages of that and 10 pages of Axelrod. Some of the Axelrod stuff was interesting, but it could have been paired down to a couple of pages.

It definitely didn't need to stretch over two issues. If you're going to do it, though, why not just stick with a straight interview and some previously unpublished photos? Does anybody get excited over a pictorial gallery of Letta Mbulu and Don Randi terds?

I would have rather seen more of the Kopelowicz pics.

• and i'm not the least bit interested in reading about David Axelrod, how many interviews have been done in the past 4 years on the same damn things....Otherwise probally their best issue in a long time.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Bill Withers = proper.

Guess my Joe Bataan piece didn't make it though. Next issue?

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    I seriously love this magazine and read it cover to cover. No joke.

Also, I kind of liked the Axelrod articles and I don't even know his shit that well. It got me to pull out Song of Innocence and Experience to re-listen. The articles are crazy too. He really seems like an arrogant son of a bitch, but in a funny way. And that shit about going from getting a million a year in the 70s to living in a tar-shack in the 80s. What the fuck!

That Blowfly article from a few months back is seriously one of the funniest things I have ever read. That dude is outrageous. There's another article that had me search shit out. I went looking for Clarence Reid records and found "Running Water" at a local record store, but it was like $30 and I couldn't afford it. So I listened to the whole thing on the listening turntable. This may seem like a dick-move but $30 is alot. That's a good album too.

Then when I had the money, I went back like a week later and someone bought the shit!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I'm expecting big things with this issue, and they better not f*ck up writing about Detroit Techno either...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Damn, I'm two issues behind now. My local record store that used to carry Wax Po folded recently. Just ordered Mizell+Withers ishs online.

• Is this mailing out now?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Bill Withers is fucking awsome.

• ryanryan 334 Posts

Herbie Mann?