Final "Arrested Development" Appreciation

DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
As tommorow they will show the final four episodes of AD in a series finale mini-marathon. I hardly knew ya . . .

Comments

• LATE PASS:

Just started watching Season ONE. It's awesome.

• damn damn damn James!!!

fuggin' sucks. and to think i've missed 2.5 episodes this season also. what a travesty. put them season 3 dvds out like pronto.

• FOX has made a huge mistake!

Anyone know if you can buy season 3 episodes on iTunes?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    what time?

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    what time?
    8pm-10pm est

• No more sitcoms for me...I'm boycotting the medium, if the best one on TV goes out like that. Save your, "My Name is Earl," everyone- I'm an AD man.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    it was lookin like the show might have had a second life on another network, but the producer is slanting towards ending the show on a peak. while i wish like hell it would go on, fact is, a lot of the cast may leave for other projects and shit...so i guess that's it. one of the few shows like early simpson episodes i could say that just gets better with each repeated viewing.

• Yeah, while at first I was hoping for the Showtime pick up (I don't trust ABC, the other rumored network, not to fuck it up irreversibly) now, I just want it to end. It had a good, too-short run.

I must say, I hate Fox for this move. What, shows need about 100 shows to go into syndication? You already have 50-odd episodes. Why not just shoot another couple seasons, and recoup your losses when you sell the syndication rights? And while I know it is an expensive show, the DVDs sell through the roof and pulling 6 million viewers can't be any worse than the numbers for the last 3 seasons of the Simpsons. (who watches new Simpsons anymore? I haven't watched a new episode in 3 years...which just makes me angry, when I think about how much an influence that show had on me.)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    shit, gonna have to record it.

• Well, in honor of Michael and George Michael sailing off into the sunset, I change my location to be with them...

-------

• damn, they went out with a bang. nice work.

• such a great show. All the good one's die early, while all the seindfeld's go on and on (even in sindication). Blah

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    please dont post any spoilers yet because i wont be able to resist reading this thread

good final episode !

• such a great show. All the good one's die early, while all the seindfeld's go on and on (even in sindication). Blah

seinfeld is one of the greatest tv shows of all time and arrested development wouldn't have been possible without it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i know i've been pretty vocal about my distaste for most of this season, but this was a pretty damn satisfying finale.

spoilers in white:
    [[color:white]i could've done without the shameless and pointless justine bateman and judge rienholt plots of the first two eps [color:white](aside from the william hung jury, which was corny but great), but i thought the second half more than made up for it. specifically the fact that [color:white]george michael got to pete rose maybe and they weren't cousins that shit made me so happy, i've been rooting for him to get with her since i first saw the show. the gob/anne relationship was predicitable but funny and it was also great to see GM grow some balls. really i'm so glad that kid came out on top. he's always been my favorite character. and word to franklin's george bush doesn't care about black puppets chain.]

it's a really good look for the show to go out like this.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    seinfeld is the greatest tv sitcom of all time

• re: Seinfeld coming first and all...

Arrested Development will benefit from the Biggie/Coltrane/Cobain syndrome, in that it will die before it gets a chance to suck, a la the final 3 seasons of Seinfeld, The Simpsons, et al.

While I would sacrifice the risk of that sucking for more episodes any day, we will look back on this show as one that never got a chance to slow down. It kept a break neck pace from start to finish, because the ax was always over its head. Tonight? It fell. But, in the future, we'll remember it for being great from start to finish and never getting the chance it deserved...like all the greats, it goes out too early.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    shit man, all i know is that the short 53 episodes from this shit, is hours of entertainment, and even though a lot of my friends would hate arrested development, the one or two that would appreciate it, im gettin them the dvds. the funniest parts for me was when george michael tries to diffuse his relatiomship with maeby...i really fucking hate kids in any kind of movies or tv shows besides the little rascals cause they can't act for shit. but that george michael dude (and canadian i should add) is just insane with his timing an delievery. never seen a kid act that good.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    in that it will die before it gets a chance to suck, a la the final 3 seasons of Seinfeld

This has been debated here before but everyone I know agrees that it peaked at the end (except the last 2-part episode).

But as for AD (in white): [[color:white] I am also happy they let GM and Maeby work. There might have been more humor available in them actually being cousins but this was a rare case where I am happy sentimentality won out.[/color]]

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I haven't followed this season too closely but they certainly ended on a zenith. It was hilarious, so many parts I've forgotten already. Really retarded stuff like the arabic convo in the cab, hahaha.

I will have to dl the torrent.....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    season finale was the shit and if/when they get picked up by another network, it seems like they have potential to do a lot of things the way the ending was.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    if/when they get picked up by another network

i think it's over, man. the epilogue pretty clearly alluded to this (the fact that an epilogue even exists says enough)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    if/when they get picked up by another network

i think it's over, man. the epilogue pretty clearly alluded to this (the fact that an epilogue even exists says enough)

Noz - they filmed this a few weeks (if not months) back so I wouldn't put a ton of faith in that. Will Arnett, when he was on The Daily Show, was a bit cryptic. He said something to the effect of, "these will be our last shows [pregnant pause] on Fox"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Noz - they filmed this a few weeks (if not months) back so I wouldn't put a ton of faith in that. Will Arnett, when he was on The Daily Show, was a bit cryptic. He said something to the effect of, "these will be our last shows [pregnant pause] on Fox"

http://www.eonline.com/Gossip/Kristin/Archive2006/060210.html

this says that there are offers on the table from ABC and Showtime, but hurwitz ultimately will make the final call in June. i guess time will tell but i honestly think i'd prefer if they ended on a relative high note. the final episode was a nice circular throw back to the first episode which begun with a yacht party (no fauxmo). not to mention it tied up all major plotlines.

if ABC were to pick it up it would most likely be cancelled very quickly again, and if showtime picked it up the budget restraints would make it a very different show, probably some of the large ensemble cast would have to be cut back.

I'd rather see Hurwitz use his critical clout to push another hopefully brilliant and maybe commercially sucessful show. arnett's movie career is about to take off, cross can focus on making his unfunny political stand up funny again.

was the inside hint to a movie just a throw away
    or
    maybe ..........

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    was the inside hint to a movie just a throw away
    or
    maybe ..........
    i can't see a movie being any good

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i thought the first two episodes of the four they played friday night were disappointing. and overall the 3rd season was funny, but compared to the first two seasons, it fell off without a doubt. wee briain, lame charlize, and a lot of jokes that just didn't hit. this made me kind of glad they're ending when it did. [/hatting]
    if anyone hasn't seen the pilot, there was a lot of references to it in the final ep. nice symmetry. also, this was the best pilot of any show i've ever seen. stop what you're doing and go rent/buy that now.

• i thought the first two episodes of the four they played friday night were disappointing. and overall the 3rd season was funny, but compared to the first two seasons, it fell off without a doubt. wee briain, lame charlize, and a lot of jokes that just didn't hit. this made me kind of glad they're ending when it did. [/hatting]
    if anyone hasn't seen the pilot, there was a lot of references to it in the final ep. nice symmetry. also, this was the best pilot of any show i've ever seen. stop what you're doing and go rent/buy that now.

I agree that the third season was just a lot more disjointed and weird than the first two...with the first season being the greatest season of a TV show I've ever seen (Yes, I know Seinfeld and the Simpsons are classic, but the arc of that first season was unbelievable for such a young show).

But, on the third season, I'm willing to give them a pass. First, they got moved, then a bunch of episodes got cancelled, then they effectively got cancelled and had to cram everything into the four episodes on Friday. They clearly weren't writing for new viewers, and made a lot of inside jokes and just threw in some crazy shit. I'm not saying it made for hilarious TV all the time, but its still better than The War at Home, and they were dealing with some shit that was taken out of their control.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Well, it's official. R.I.P. AD.

Mitch Hurwitz puts AD out to pasture

It's not a trick...

...it's an illusion.