Worst Price Tags?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Me and my boy were talking about the various tags from local shops... and that got me thinking.The worst I think have got to be Princeton Record Exchange... So hard to take off that most folks just leave them on, then when I get in there with my lighter fluid and razor blade there's all this residue, it never really looks right. I've had problems with Amoeba & Rasputins tags but if you take em off while they're still fresh it's ok... amoeba tags turn to hardened rock after a few months though... add on

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Princeton's were the first ones to pop into my head when I read the title of this thread. Those things are like bumper stickers compared to other places (that I can't think of at the moment).

• I leave price tags on so I can brag about how much I spent on said record or brag about finding it in the dollar bin!

• I leave price tags on so I can brag about how much I spent on said record or brag about finding it in the dollar bin!

Are you serious?

If you are not serious I have seen this in real life and it's probably the saddest shit ever

Are you serious?

If you are not serious I have seen this in real life and it's probably the saddest shit ever

No, I'm not serious but I do leave them on except for when they're on the LP label itself.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I leave price tags on so I can brag about how much I spent on said record or brag about finding it in the dollar bin!

Are you serious?

Keep Rey's name and style outcha mouf.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Princeton Record Exchange

Are you serious?

The real question is, does he tape paypal invoices to the sleeve?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I leave price tags on so I can brag about how much I spent on said record or brag about finding it in the dollar bin!

Are you serious?

The real question is, does he tape paypal invoices to the sleeve?

Most likely. It would be decidedly "middle-class" to do otherwise.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

I think Rey is representing himself as 'middle class' these days - obsession with the amount paid for an item is strictly on a 'you sound poor' level.

• Me and my boy were talking about the various tags from local shops...

ADVANCED D&D!

I think Rey is representing himself as 'middle class' these days - obsession with the amount paid for an item is strictly on a 'you sound poor' level.

Being poor myself, I can say that this equation looks to hold water.

• Me and my boy were talking about the various tags from local shops... and that got me thinking.

The worst I think have got to be Princeton Record Exchange... So hard to take off that most folks just leave them on, then when I get in there with my lighter fluid and razor blade there's all this residue, it never really looks right. I've had problems with Amoeba & Rasputins tags but if you take em off while they're still fresh it's ok... amoeba tags turn to hardened rock after a few months though... add on

I've got a price tag on a record I bought at Princeton Record Exchange in 1987. It will never EVER come off, I don't think dynamite could get that shit off of there.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i love shangri-la memphis,
    but price tags on the dead (& not so dead) wax of 7" 45s
    is

i have gummy residue on the last 30 seconds of a few singles,
    not to mention the ones i scarred trying to remove them tags
    someone must have switched a few sleeves & made the owner
    sticker crazy
    do they put the tags on 12" dead wax too (me thinks they do)
    shingaling & the hook up, whats up with this ??

Me and my boy were talking about the various tags from local shops...

ADVANCED D&D!

bwahahahhahaa!!!!

There's no arguing with that. Thank god we've found a place where we (minus the PB fans) are accepted as equals, and not social outcasts.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I don't think dynamite could get that shit off of there.

At least give it a go!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

If you were really poor, you would've just smashed out your car window instead of calling a locksmith.

& then subsequently driven around with a garbage bag utility-taped over that window...

---

• i love shangri-la memphis,
    but price tags on the dead (& not so dead) wax of 7" 45s
    is

i have gummy residue on the last 30 seconds of a few singles,
    not to mention the ones i scarred trying to remove them tags
    someone must have switched a few sleeves & made the owner
    sticker crazy
    do they put the tags on 12" dead wax too (me thinks they do)
    shingaling & the hook up, whats up with this ??

Down Home Music in El Cerrito puts price stickers on the grooves of 45s, forget the deadwax. Plus all their 45s are VG- or worse and priced too high. Worst look ever. The price tags at Logos in Santa Cruz can be a major pain in the ass to get off too.

If you were really poor, you would've just smashed out your car window instead of calling a locksmith.

& then subsequently driven around with a garbage bag utility-taped over that window...

---

I was afraid the wild look of desperation that characterizes people of my socio-economic status might have given people the impression that I was stealing the car. Besides, I paid the locksmith with a hot credit card.

• shiiiit, the worst price tags are found at Second Hand Rose Records (12th & B-way). Mostly because things like Tijuana Brass Band and Kraftwerk have tags that say $75. (And don't try to talk them down about anything. Mean Sonsofbitches.)

• There's a huge place in Toronto called 'Sonic Boom'. Not only do they sticker the sleeve, but they sticker the record LABEL as well. I guess they must be worried about cats switching up the Olivia Newton John rares, because the place is 98% garbage.

Their ads in local papers mention that they buy 'anything'. They will buy Milli Vanilli shit for $0.15 just for the cd case and tray.

The stock accurately reflects the shittiness of this joint.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    princeton record exchange absolutely has to be the worst.

in fact, any store that actually puts a price tag or sticker on the sleeve itself (or especially the label) gets the

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    shiiiit, the worst price tags are found at Second Hand Rose Records (12th & B-way). Mostly because things like Tijuana Brass Band and Kraftwerk have tags that say $75. (And don't try to talk them down about anything. Mean Sonsofbitches.)

co-sign

the unhappiest family of record (& junk) dealers ever !

(although the mom did turn me on to a slamming thai restaurant around the corner, in a backhanded way)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

An alternative to this is to remove the tag and replace it on the inside of the cover. You might also place it on the outer sleeve you're bagging the record in.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    Princeton Record Exchange

yeah. i mean, for having the reputation of being 'one of the best record stores on the east coast' .. you'd think they would find an alternative sticker method so that the sleeves of every used record they sell doesn't get ruined.

• ARON'S RECORDS (r.i.p.)

they sometimes even slapped tags on both sides of the label (2 tags per side)

• Princeton Record Exchange

yeah. i mean, for having the reputation of being 'one of the best record stores on the east coast' .. you'd think they would find an alternative sticker method so that the sleeves of every used record they sell doesn't get ruined.

It's been a loooooooooong time since they lived up to that reputation.

• Theres this shop out here where the dude doesn't put prices on the records. He has a color coded system. Somethin like, a black sticker means its 5 to 10 dollars, a blue is 10 to 20 dollars and so on...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The only price tag I left on was the .50 on my "Headless Heroes."

• The only price tag I left on was the .50 on my "Headless Heroes."

Showoff.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The only price tag I left on was the .50 on my "Headless Heroes."

Showoff.

Yeah. Maybe I should show off the $860 Sprint phone bill I got in the mail today.