What are b-boys listening to these days?

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    word word..I heard Can is real hot real b-boys because it was used in one of those big b-boy dvd's and that little "HEY YOU.." part gets 'em all "dissy" with doing flips and cirque de solei.

please to stop talking.

- spidey

Dude, that is HILARIOUS. Think about the Battle of the Year videos and the way the team showcases are done. Save for the makeup factor, that's just about the most apt description of it I can think of.

Somebody got their little polka-dot clown jammies in a knot...

...and how can you expect to win Cirque de Soleil 2006 with a face like that? Full points on the head-spin friendly wig though.

• Eric B and Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique
    Freestyle Fellowship - Hot Potato
    Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

that aint regional bias. chicago dudes love that jam. but I play everything is everything more. or play it cool.

as great as the urge to correct JP may be, it is essential that we refrain from derailing any attempt to ruffle Archaic's PB-related feathers.

It's double true though - I've heard from several folks from all over the country that this is indeed a "new school b-boy classic".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Eric B and Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique
    Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

that aint regional bias. chicago dudes love that jam. but I play everything is everything more. or play it cool.

as great as the urge to correct JP may be, it is essential that we refrain from derailing any attempt to ruffle Archaic's PB-related feathers.

It's double true though - I've heard from several folks from all over the country that this is indeed a "new school b-boy classic".

"new school b-boys":

Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

It's double true though - I've heard from several folks from all over the country that this is indeed a "new school b-boy classic"[/b].

Enlightening! I didn't know DustyGroove had expanded its sphere of influence beyond Chicago.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Somebody got their little polka-dot clown jammies in a knot...

- spidey

Aw man, only 7 months in and already 1 impersonated post. Badass.

- spidey

Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

"new school b-boys":

No makeup? Must be a dress rehearsal.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Now lets stop bitching and tell me what music to listen to.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I had a lot of people calling the Day 12" and the Breakbeatraer EP b-boy music. I think it's cool if b-boys use these records for their routines but I still felt slightly insulted because most new b-boy music sounds pretty boring to me (check the "Battle of Year" comps ..).

So Dizzy, don't tell me that you didn't know that you are doing b-boy music

• spcspc 534 Posts
    bboys and bgirls are listening to SPC's mixx because thass the schitt.

• I heard Can is real hot real b-boys

ha....on the real tho, from what i know...cats are sayin can is played, my people dont wanna hear that.

barettas theme/ ron carter

heavy hitter/ dewolfe

mostly euro breaks...latin breaks etc

uknown shit is cool...but dancers need to be familiar with the beats so they can execute shit on time.

bout to drop another 12"....tropicana steel drum edit for spanish hustle....sick for the bboys...complete w/ drums that never existed !

• [quote
    uknown shit is cool...but dancers need to be familiar with the beats so they can execute shit on time.

and that's kind of the draw-back about deejaying b-boy events. You don't want to play obvious stuff like Jimmy Castor when you can play some newness but at the same time they need to do their little disses and freezes and tippy-toe maneuvers on time.

check your pm's

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    fatboy slim

I had a lot of people calling the Day 12" and the Breakbeatraer EP b-boy music. I think it's cool if b-boys use these records for their routines but I still felt slightly insulted because most new b-boy music sounds pretty boring to me (check the "Battle of Year" comps ..).

So Dizzy, don't tell me that you didn't know that you are doing b-boy music

well actually I kinda had that in mind when I did my little flute song with the long ass drum break down.

But yeah, I suppose I'm looking for new music that is uptempo and shit.

What are the "Battle Of The Year" comps?

re-edits of old stuff is cool, but I'm wondering what the hot new cut and paste shit is (if there is any).

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i noticed the instrumental to Wu-Tangs "Uzi (pinky ring)" getting played back at some TX bboy battles a few years ago. Not sure if it made it to other areas, but i think it works.

link to a snippet...

• i noticed the instrumental to Wu-Tangs "Uzi (pinky ring)" getting played back at some TX bboy battles a few years ago. Not sure if it made it to other areas, but i think it works.

link to a snippet...
    That's probably because b-boys are familiar with Willie Dynamite, from whence it came.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    day's "gone bad" has gotten a good reaction at a couple of events out here recently... they mostly want the funk and upbeat hip hop classics these days... it's cool to slide in "apache", "it's just begun", "sing sing", etc., but just going out there with UBB vol. 1-25 doesn't really cut it anymore

that's true. I was djing this bboy event last year in prague, and had some good slice of classic breaks. One guy came to me afterwards and adviced me to play some more "New School Breaks". I still don't know what he meant by that

On an Apache note, whoever owns the rights right now to that song, will be mothereffin rich after the soccer world cup is done. Apache is the official song for the Adidas German team Commercial, it even got cut up (like doubled when the guitarbreak comes in - bam,bam, bababababam ). Just to get some of that bboy vibe into soccer. Also the "Breakers Evenge 93", which is imo a dope evergreen cut'n paste bboytrack, is emulated in the new marlboro commercial here in Germany. They just rebuild it

But I guess the regional preferences cut in alot. But most Bboys don't like to rock to the old Breaks no more, which I find suspect. Dancing to Fatboy Slim or some Daft Punk? Ok, but gimme some classic ish, too!! Anyone here likes to dance to the john travolta break? All non-breakers flipped over this one, the bboys were kind of

what worked was "Family Affair" by MFSB, that track go them hyped!!!

czech bgirls/bboys goin off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• reskresk 391 Posts
    I heard Can is real hot real b-boys

ha....on the real tho, from what i know...cats are sayin can is played, my people dont wanna hear that.

heavy hitter/ dewolfe

bout to drop another 12"....tropicana steel drum edit for spanish hustle....sick for the bboys...complete w/ drums that never existed !

in florida, vitamin C is kinda played too. I'll still play it if someone ask me to. I remember my boy playing it at a jam on +8 on the pitch control, and some bboy told him to speed it up more. My boy told him it was sped up all the way and the bboy told that my boy is lying.

its sad though, cause a lot of cats djing bigger jams are spinning mp3s, and dont even own vinyl.

euro disco seems to be the hot shit in the bboy scene right now thanks to dj ben breaking in a lot of it in europe.

and hot potato gets request in florida/georgia too.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    at the last couple battles ive down here in FLA, some of the joints i still get asked for to save for final battles is a certain ratio do the du and nas made you look instrumental on 45rpm and roughly -3 pitch. You can sneak in some classic joints, but i wouldnt base a battle on it. Accross 110th street instrumental has also been asked for on a final battle. Blow your whistle and keep on dancin seem to still do good too.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    bboys are listening to hollins and starr.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    at the last couple battles ive down here in FLA, some of the joints i still get asked for to save for final battles is a certain ratio do the du and nas made you look instrumental on 45rpm and roughly -3 pitch. You can sneak in some classic joints, but i wouldnt base a battle on it. Accross 110th street instrumental has also been asked for on a final battle. Blow your whistle and keep on dancin seem to still do good too.

Who's the dude from Fla who spins strictly 45s? some crew from Miami I think.

• reskresk 391 Posts

Who's the dude from Fla who spins strictly 45s? some crew from Miami I think.

probably seenstar or ang*l*? or maybe le spam? where have you seen the dj/what event?

Ah, I think it was someone with Le [email]Sp@m's[/email] crew, but not Le [email]Sp@m.[/email] was at a jam nearby in Queens a year or so ago.

• I've had dudes bustin' to "Welkshake."

Ummmm....*PASUE*

Herm

• reskresk 391 Posts
    you can get bboys to get down to almost anything in all honesty. Some cities even here in florida have diffrent trends. Like some places people dont necessarily want hip hop to dance to. Other cities, thats what i get requested most often (all the fast rap type shit, treat em right, warm it up, creator, etc).

but one thing is, bboys are like club goers. Once they here a particular song on a major bboy battle dvd, they go crazy over the song (like club goers buggin over a song cause they its getting play on the radio). You could have been playing the song for years, but once they here it on a video, they love it.

• curtis mayfield/move on up 12" version

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    does edwin starr - "contact" work?
    or mass production - "can't you see i'm fired up?"
    we really need the of the b-boys/b-girls to come in here and tell us nerds.

• we really need the of the b-boys/b-girls to come in here and tell us nerds.

That would be Sketch, and although his sexiness oozes from beneath his wristbands, he lacks the necessary cleavage.

Herm

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I heard Can is real hot real b-boys

heavy hitter/ dewolfe

Can we have a short mp3 example of this edit?

Apparently there's new El Michels 12 coming out with Apache style drums. Should be some b-boy material.

I've had dudes bustin' to "Welkshake."

Ummmm....*PASUE*

Herm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I wonder if they would like my laffy taffy remix??????