What are b-boys listening to these days?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited November 2015 in Music Talk
Apache and shit still? Or is there new stuff out there that you guys spin around too?I would like to learn more about b-boy music. I like that DJ Format guy, but I dont know if that is b-boy music or not.school me.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    trance and deep house

• my cousin is a b-boy in NY and says his friends and him get down to some drum and bass. I remember asking if he has to take speed first.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Eric B and Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique
    Freestyle Fellowship - Hot Potato
    Soho - Hot Music

• Eric B and Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique
    Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Drum n bass? Not really. Most of us on the dancefloor still get down to golden era hip hop and breaks. Any dancable funk really. Modern funk dap kings blah blah.

I'm a bit of an exception though. As I'm currently listening to atomic rooster.

- spidey

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

regional bias

I'm talking about Texas b-boys...i.e. different region.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

"Dancefloor Heat"

tepid faux. tepid.

- spidey

tepid faux. tepid.

- spidey

Why, thankyou, "spidey"

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

That is a terrible, terrible song to dance/[faux]listen[/faux] to...in any capacity.

Seems like more and more deep funk type stuff is being incorporated into the bboy world, which is just fine by me.

Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

That is a terrible, terrible song to dance/[faux]listen[/faux] to...in any capacity.

Seems like more and more deep funk type stuff is being incorporated into the bboy world, which is just fine by me.

Yes, it's an abomination.

I was merely referring to another poster's characterization of it as "dancefloor heat," abso-f**king-lutely guaranteed to keep the b-boys' head spinning.

• Paging CHUCK HUSS. I dj'd with that dude recently at a b-boy jam and the cat had and knew hella joints that only b-boys consider "new classics". like nobody's biz-nass.

• bboys and bgirls are listening to SPC's mixx because thass the schitt.

my cousin is a b-boy in NY and says his friends and him get down to some drum and bass.

Watching bboys dance to that stuff has always made me cringe. It pretty much occludes the entire 'dance' element of bboying. Save that shit for the toy raver bboys who can do flare combos but couldn't toprock their way out of a line dancing battle.

no offense, to your cousin of course

• Apache and shit still? Or is there new stuff out there that you guys spin around too?

I would like to learn more about b-boy music.

You should dip to some of the events coming up. SD's got a pretty vibrant b-boy scene, though they're mostly on some old-school, bronx shit when it comes to music.
    The anthems are mostly the obvious ones (The Mexican, Shaft in Africa, Give it Up or Turn it Loose, etc.) I was surprised that people amp to Can's Vitamin C, but that's rad because you hear that at most jams.
    I also play some cut'n'paste type stuff (Cut Chemist Re-Return, Format, Double Dee and Steinski, Hijack, etc), but I get mixed reactions.
    I get a lot of requests for Immigrant Song, Passport, and I've been bringing some newer rock stuff if the tempo's right.

What kind of cut and paste stuff? I like uptempo cut and past stuff i think...

• Apache and shit still? Or is there new stuff out there that you guys spin around too?

I would like to learn more about b-boy music.

You should dip to some of the events coming up. SD's got a pretty vibrant b-boy scene, though they're mostly on some old-school, bronx shit when it comes to music.
    The anthems are mostly the obvious ones (The Mexican, Shaft in Africa, Give it Up or Turn it Loose, etc.) I was surprised that people amp to Can's Vitamin C, but that's rad because you hear that at most jams.
    I also play some cut'n'paste type stuff (Cut Chemist Re-Return, Format, Double Dee and Steinski, Hijack, etc), but I get mixed reactions.
    I get a lot of requests for Immigrant Song, Passport, and I've been bringing some newer rock stuff if the tempo's right.

word word..I heard Can is real hot real b-boys because it was used in one of those big b-boy dvd's and that little "HEY YOU.." part gets 'em all "dissy" with doing flips and cirque de solei .

• Passport

paging DCastillo

p.s., I'm not looking for this because I want to dance to it, although I'm sure you could charleston to a good bit of it. I just like to listen, and if I'm feeling sassy I might tap my foot.

• I heard Can is real hot real b-boys

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Teddy Pendergrass

paging Guzzo

Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

Yes, it's an abomination.

I was merely referring to another poster's characterization of it as "dancefloor heat," abso-f**king-lutely guaranteed to keep the b-boys' head spinning.

Don't worry, I caught your drift. I don't think anyone who's posted on this board longer than a week could ever mistake that for a song you'd like.

I did enjoy the description though. I wonder if it was a money-back guarantee?

word word..I heard Can is real hot real b-boys because it was used in one of those big b-boy dvd's and that little "HEY YOU.." part gets 'em all "dissy" with doing flips and cirque de solei .

please to stop talking.

- spidey

please to stop talking.

- spidey

^^^^ struck a defiant pose and held it after typing that ^^^^^^^^^

word word..I heard Can is real hot real b-boys because it was used in one of those big b-boy dvd's and that little "HEY YOU.." part gets 'em all "dissy" with doing flips and cirque de solei.[/b]

please to stop talking.

- spidey

Dude, that is HILARIOUS. Think about the Battle of the Year videos and the way the team showcases are done. Save for the makeup factor, that's just about the most apt description of it I can think of.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    <s>Freestyle Fellowship - Hot Potato</s>
    Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

that aint regional bias. chicago dudes love that jam. but I play everything is everything more. or play it cool.

word word..I heard Can is real hot real b-boys because it was used in one of those big b-boy dvd's and that little "HEY YOU.." part gets 'em all "dissy" with doing flips and cirque de solei.[/b]

please to stop talking.

- spidey

Dude, that is HILARIOUS. Think about the Battle of the Year videos and the way the team showcases are done. Save for the makeup factor, that's just about the most apt description of it I can think of.

Somebody got their little polka-dot clown jammies in a knot...

• day's "gone bad" has gotten a good reaction at a couple of events out here recently... they mostly want the funk and upbeat hip hop classics these days... it's cool to slide in "apache", "it's just begun", "sing sing", etc., but just going out there with UBB vol. 1-25 doesn't really cut it anymore

Soho - Hot Music

regional bias

that aint regional bias. chicago dudes love that jam. but I play everything is everything more. or play it cool.

as great as the urge to correct JP may be, it is essential that we refrain from derailing any attempt to ruffle Archaic's PB-related feathers.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Somebody got their little polka-dot clown jammies in a knot...

- spidey