Willie or Mongo?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
who do you prefer? I am a big fan of both...but who edges it out for you?I cant say...so lets nerd it out. The right Willie Bobo record can tear the club up(i.e. "Spanish Grease", "Bad Bad Whiskey", "Broasted or Fried") but Mongo has jaw droppingly beautiful stuff like the OG "Afro Blue" and thumpin' funk like the steez on "Mongo's Way"...battle royale of the latin-soul-pop godfathers...vs.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    60's Pro Wrestler Bobo Brazil

Vs.

Mongo from Blazing Saddles

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Gimme Willie....he's "greasier"

• yeah, i would agree, bobo's butter is a little more "melted".

not to discredit santamaria though, he's got many hot cuts.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    another vote for willie

how about a candido vs. mongo thread?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm going with Mongo - it's tight, but there are a few Mongo LP's
    (Up From the Roots, Feelin' Alright) that I like better than any of my Willie albums...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

For me, Willie would be dude on the left.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I got Mongo all the way. Many more good albums than Willie.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Mongo, without a doubt... first of all, the sheer length and breadth of his career, his latin jazz records on riverside and fantasy from 50's and early 60's (with serious players like nat adderly) to his more MOR stuff on columbia with a lotta dope covers like Cloud 9 (b boy jam), sunshine of your love, cold sweat, sing a simple song, we got more (latin) soul, then on to his HEAVY funk stuff on Vaya from the early 70's on LP's like Fuego and Afro-Indio... dude has a serious catalog that Bobo just can't match... and Mongo has WAY less easy listening type shit in his catalog than Willie... yeah, the Sussex album is hot and there are some gems ("spanish grease" is my jam!) on his verve stuff, but the bulk of those records are fucking corny pop covers and a little too much of a space age bachelor pad vibe for me.... the student ain't eclisping the teacher!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    awwww yeah, don't forget that VAYA

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Mongo, without a doubt... first of all, the sheer length and breadth of his career, his latin jazz records on riverside and fantasy from 50's and early 60's (with serious players like nat adderly) to his more MOR stuff on columbia with a lotta dope covers like Cloud 9 (b boy jam), sunshine of your love, cold sweat, sing a simple song, we got more (latin) soul, then on to his HEAVY funk stuff on Vaya from the early 70's on LP's like Fuego and Afro-Indio... dude has a serious catalog that Bobo just can't match... and Mongo has WAY less easy listening type shit in his catalog than Willie... yeah, the Sussex album is hot and there are some gems ("spanish grease" is my jam!) on his verve stuff, but the bulk of those records are fucking corny pop covers and a little too much of a space age bachelor pad vibe for me.... the student ain't eclisping the teacher!

Seconded!

• gotta say, I go Bobo...

mongo's got much heat, but overall I'ma Vote for willie

• Jorge, can they please make a movie based on your imagination?

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Mongo, just for those Atlantic 45s. Although, I would like to find 'Crazy Lady' on 45 as well......

• Mongo, without a doubt

I'd have to go with Mongo myself, based on...

his latin jazz records on riverside and fantasy from 50's and early 60's

now, as far as THIS:

yeah, (Willie Bobo's) Sussex album is hot and there are some gems ("spanish grease" is my jam!) on his verve stuff, but the bulk of those records are fucking corny pop covers and a little too much of a space age bachelor pad vibe for me....

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Now, if Willie had more albums like the Sussex album, then I'd call it a draw. Why the hell didn't he make more records like this? At any rate, Willie's Verve elpees that always show up in the bins have corny pop covers for DAYS. Mongo's Columbia albums do too, but at least he's got the more authentic-sounding Riverside/Fantasy records to balance them out. (Not familiar with any of the stuff he's done since, on Atlantic, Vaya and God knows what else.)

So, I'm choosing Mongo.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm also gonna go for Mongo a surefire dancefloor killer.

- spidey

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    not sure whos the better drummer, mongo has more dope records, his early 70s stuff (surprise) atlantic and the vayas. does willie have other albums that sound like his sussex lp, theres the chicken wing track of the watts live record, i might be missing something?

mongo it is!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    but Willie can sing. most of mongo's tracks are ??berpacked. he hardly has any cool songs, like willie does. willie's by far cooler. more relaxed. just look at those pictures.

juyt listen to "how can i say goodbye?" and you'll see. so nice!

but Willie can sing. most of mongo's tracks are ??berpacked. he hardly has any cool songs, like willie does. willie's by far cooler. more relaxed. just look at those pictures.

juyt listen to "how can i say goodbye?" and you'll see. so nice!

whatup Grope, well song writing wise and clothing wise willie might just be the cooler cat, but track wise, stuff like Little Angel several cuts of Up From The Roots... daaamn that shit is unfuckwithable!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    whatup Grope, well song writing wise and clothing wise willie might just be the cooler cat, but track wise, stuff like Little Angel several cuts of Up From The Roots... daaamn that shit is unfuckwithable!

a''''''ight! they're both cool. right?

a''''''ight! they're both cool. right?

agreed!

(i definately had too much to drink yesterday!)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Mongo has way more quality recordings under his belt, a more diverse career and probably would edge out Willie as King of the Congas. On sheer quantifiable numbers Mongo has it. Subjectively, I still dig Mongo the most, and that is NO slight on Bobo. Uno, Dos,Tres is one of my fave boogaloo LPs.

I am a little shaocked that no one has mentioned that there are recordings that feature BOTH ARTISTS TOGETHER. The Latin Jazz combo of this dude had the sense to put these percussion giants together, and needs some shine in this thread, still some of the best latin jazz ever laid down.

Mr. Cal Tjader