WEEKEND FINDS start here

Comments

• ok, not all from the weekend, but most recently i guess:

• Nothing nobody's never seen, but in acquiring these I:

1) got in a car accident.

2) had to haggle with a twelve year old who chain smoked cowboy killers and kept insisting his "diddy's" poodles dressed in various period costumes were the best deal at the flea.

3) had to move four firearms (at least one of which I know is illegal in this country) and told "they might be live" to get to two crates.

4) digged through about 500 records while listening to three goats yell at me. For those of you who've never heard a goat...it's the worst sound...ever. Imagine three.

So please indulge me and take a look. Thanks

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Not bad LPs this morning.
    I don't think anything needs explaining. The Roy Meriwether is South African pressing. Howard McGhee is original UK press. The Della Reese, didn't look too promising (On Strings Of Blue) but is actually very nice. Upright Citizens is BYO Hardcore from 85. The Wes Montgomery has nice Oliver Nelson arrangements, did that guy ever do anything wrong with his jazz output, I haven't heard any Nelson arrangements I dislike.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Nothing nobody's never seen, but in acquiring these I:

2) had to haggle with a twelve year old who chain smoked cowboy killers and kept insisting his "diddy's" poodles dressed in various period costumes were the best deal at the flea.

3) had to move four firearms (at least one of which I know is illegal in this country) and told "they might be live" to get to two crates.

4) digged through about 500 records while listening to three goats yell at me. For those of you who've never heard a goat...it's the worst sound...ever. Imagine three.

i didn't even get to the record pics, the story was much more interesting.

you must've been crazy to not shoot photos of these poodles dressed in period costumes. could you at least described the costumes?

out of curiousity, where do you live? this sounds eerily like a flea i once went to at 5AM on the top of this giant hill in alabama.

• Nothing nobody's never seen, but in acquiring these I:

i didn't even get to the record pics, the story was much more interesting.

you must've been crazy to not shoot photos of these poodles dressed in period costumes. could you at least described the costumes?

out of curiousity, where do you live? this sounds eerily like a flea i once went to at 5AM on the top of this giant hill in alabama.

I was really kicking myself for not bringing the camera. I always say I'm going to. I live in NC, and this is honestly (minus the car wreck) a typical weekend looking for records. Seriously, this was tame...when you get out to the foothills...it's indescribable...I'd need Burroughs or Thompson to document it. I couldn't do it justice.

One poodle was dressed in obligatory Victorian, one had a leather/biker/stars n bars thing goin, one was a director or an artist?, I'm drawing blanks...there were a few more.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

One poodle was dressed in obligatory Victorian, one had a leather/biker/stars n bars thing goin, one was a director or an artist?, I'm drawing blanks...there were a few more.

FUK THE RECS
    I WANT SOME CLOWN POODLE COSTUME PORTRAITURE

GIVE IT TO ME

nice finds, btw

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Gotta few things this weekend, this being the highlight. Double lp of nice soul with a few funky tracks also.

• went to goodwill to buy some pants, inevitably stopped by the records. anyway, a few things i pulled out, i probably should have stayed longer and looked through all the bins.

rev isaac douglas on savoy - gospel stuff (was sealed) nothing too exciting. should give it another listen.

direkt to disk 7 - late 70s fusion jazz, wasn't this a marketing gimmick from audio-technica? also sealed, good times. side two gets kinda crazy with the sound effects.

jozef skrzek - dollarbincommon in europe probably, but pretty kitschy over here.

satchitananda - a thought away - private press spiritual jazz/fusion from late 70s with prog rock tendencies. cute.
    orson welles - radio broadcasts - i'm a big orson welles fan.

• Options
    Summertime - Lloyld Charmers (Strakers)
    Punnany is Charlie (Ace) and Fay.

K.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    K.

B side of this (although it just says version)

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    El Rego Et Ses Commandos - Achuta. Fire from Nigeria.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    El Rego Et Ses Commandos - Achuta. Fire from Nigeria.

the intro drums are kfed/oj. nice.

• What's the deal with this one? Sounds like it should be mixed right after Sharon Jones - How Long?

This is some heavy schitt right here, considering it basicly is a song about dating. Love it how the horns hit...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Jesus, slim pickings. Just a bunch of commons that are nice records. Plus a couple I'm putting on waxidermy.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    picked up a little dollar bin latino ua lp yesterday with freddie rodriguez called La Versatilidad De Freddie Rodriguez from 67, has some pretty cool tracks latin soul boogaloo steez!

• I found this:

-HELLERS Singers Talkers Players LP

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4061792993

-Dells "Give you baby a standing Ovation" a cheap lp that I already had but I almost forgot that it's pretty good. Produced by charles Stepney.... I've been listening to "Closer" but there's more good stuff and they're playing tracks from "what color is love".

and chi-lites, Marge Joseph, ruby winters "I will" and a few others.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Happy weekend for me

OG on Straight, with the uncensored "thumb" cover in clean as a bean shape. Hello, Hooray!

OG w/calendar (detached, sadly, but in perfect shape)

OG with school Desk flip-open sleeve

• A bunch of hip-hop (app. 60 12"s) and some other bits. Highlights:

Fela - Music Of Fela; Question Jam Answer (Makossa)
    Last Poets - Chastisement (Blue Thumb)
    Malcolm X - Talks to Young People (Douglas)
    TJ Swann - Maximus Party (Express)

• Also found an unplayable copy of this for the wall of the shop:

• Options
    K.

B side of this (although it just says version)

Same flip on the labeled copy.

K in Canada

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I found this for 50 cents:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Some psych/garage 45's...the one on LHI is dope...

Local spot (MOJO Records, one of the worst stores in town) is having
    a going out of business sale, everything half price. Managed to find some
    good stuff from a dead spot - the Alan Price is pretty good, and I'm sure
    anybody that has that Albert Collins LP will testify that is HOT DAMN FUNKY
    shit seriously sounds like an early Meters LP with heavy blues licks over it..
    The Julie Budd record is pretty horrible, as it looks, but it had a couple
    of interesting covers...she does "People Are Strange" by the Doors, I was
    like "no way you can fuck that up" and as usual, records laugh at me as
    there was only ONE way to ruin a cover of that song...rearrange it as
    a ragtime composition, with clarinets and oompah oompah trombones...omg
    however, the dope jazzy cover of Black Is Black" made it worth the $1.25 invested.
    Zombies on BBC disc is essential.

Bob Ray came from the spot where I got the 45's.
    5 Stairsteps was an eBay score, copped cheap cause it's a Canadian press
    (about which I could care less, although I do miss the dope Windy C label...
    Bottom is reissue of psych LP by Lost & Found from 1968 on International Artists
    that I got at the half-off sale, but was listening to when I took the first photo.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Also found an unplayable copy of this for the wall of the shop:

It would be cool if you glued this to the floor somewhere in a corner. Then you could sit back and watch the 45 nuts get all bent trying to pick it off the ground.

• Soul on Ice, nice to hear you got something out of Mojo. A friend called the other day to say they saw the 50% off sign, but that wasn't enough to get me down there. I was 0-for-Mojo since I moved here in '02.

Yeah, and all those records had prolly been there
    since '02, just only worth it at half-price 4 years later

(although I would say that Albert Collins is worth spending $ on -
    but it has been in that store for years)

• Haven't posted any finds in a while so here is the past week or so.

Not as good as his Folkways album but definitly a must have.

The stuff with Bolan on it is good but the rest is

This is on International Artists and with my first listen I was convinced that it was Rocky and the Elevators under a fake name. Further listens brought me to the conclusion that it's just a total rip-off band. Good record though!

I moved recently and when I got settled I tackled the great 45 organization. I came up in my own bins! Stuff I forgot I had and other stuff I just plain slept on.
    Recently re-discoverd 45s...

TAMS - Mary, Mary Row Your Boat
    IMMPRESSIONS - Too Slow
    OTIS CLAY - Show Place
    COASTERS - T'aint Nothin' To Me (I listen to this 10 times daily now and I don't see it stopping any time soon.)
    BOBBY BLAND - Ask Me Bout' Nothing But The Blues
    FANTASTIC JOHNNY C - Boogaloo Down Broadway
    SAPPHIRES - Who Do You Love

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    from todays show de records.

Didn???t know what to expect from the cake lp, but I'm really digging it. Title track on the Tommy James is . The smokey looks unplayed and replaces my vg copy. I love the entire lp, but "You only bulid me up..."is such a great song! Clean yusef and compost for a buck. Mosaic of the Orient is by Elias Rahbani and was my $2 gamble of the day. He is a Lebanese composer and this is his one of his "east meets west" lp's. The mix of traditional Middle Eastern instruments w/ guitar, drums, bass, organ & an oriental rhythm section makes for a very interesting listen. The Belladonna & Hysear are for trade. Pm me.

The mix of traditional Middle Eastern instruments w/ guitar, drums, bass, organ & an oriental rhythm section makes for a very interesting listen.

That sounds dope - I have this series of belly dancing records that
    were recorded late 60's-early 70's, and they have this awesome
    sound like The Chocolate Watchband jamming with authentic Arabic
    musicians...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    The mix of traditional Middle Eastern instruments w/ guitar, drums, bass, organ & an oriental rhythm section makes for a very interesting listen.

That sounds dope - I have this series of belly dancing records that
    were recorded late 60's-early 70's, and they have this awesome
    sound like The Chocolate Watchband jamming with authentic Arabic
    musicians...

This was also featured on a certain strutter's (and his oft-jocked companion's) recent mix.