Are you officially a loser when...

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
You got to a bar by yourself? I just caught myself eyeing up this spot near my house, looking at how many cars were out front and imagining a depressing solo mission. It's like, most of my friends either a.) don't live too close or b.) are complete flaky sallies who sometimes don't even answer their phone because their girl has them on lockdown or they have to work in the morning. Meanwhile, I'm walking around Borders reading Eastern Thought, then soul-searching with some Andrew!!! on the radio and the window down on a cold-ass night. I'm loney motherfucker! But seriously, is it officially over when you are one of those guys going to the bar all by your lonesome, or is that just a watermark in becoming a man?At least I have a dog...

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Dude, I was holding off on the crickets, letting the topic marinate for a few minutes. I don't want to look like a complete ass.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• I role out solo.

I have varied interest. There is no one I know what is into film, spoken word, slamming, hip hop, dj'ing, digging and flatland like me. I have my film people, dj people, poetry people. etc.. There is not a lot of cross pollination between my worlds. I'll get a call to see if I am showing up somewhere that night.

Bonus: if you hook up, you don't have to worry about how your boy gets home.

• I role out solo.

I have varied interest. There is no one I know what is into film, spoken word, slamming, hip hop, dj'ing, digging and flatland like me. I have my film people, dj people, poetry people. etc.. There is not a lot of cross pollination between my worlds. I'll get a call to see if I am showing up somewhere that night.

exactly. well put.

• Admit it! You don't have any friends.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Dude, I was holding off on the crickets, letting the topic marinate for a few minutes. I don't want to look like a complete ass.

When I have to go to bars alone I try to pretend I'm an international man of mystery. Of course I really am one, so maybe I can't help you. Sorry. How about taking your dog for long walks and a nice dinner, maybe catch a foreign movie. Nothing heavy.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I role out solo.

exactly. well put.

Yeah, you're the guys that drink Chai and don't tip.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    You guys are cold!

Fuck it man, roll up in there, have a drink and see what happens.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i completely embrace and enjoy me time. i like being alone. im probably the one with the problem. people annoy me.

new beatmix up:
    2006 beatmix

• Hell no. You are officially someone who can connect with people on any occasion in any location. I love going to bars by myself, as long as it's not completely empty. Just sit at the bar, not alone at a table/booth (then you are a loser). It's real easy to strike up conversations with the persons next to you, and the bartender will even help with their own comments and jokes.

Step up Tea!

• i completely embrace and enjoy me time. i like being alone. im probably the one with the problem. people annoy me.

I'm the same way. I mean, I hang out with friends a fair amount and I'm not totally antisocial, but if I don't have at least a while each day to myself to just decompress I don't feel right. It's especially noticeable when I'm out of town staying with a friend or something. After a week of not being in my own comfortable space and *constantly* being around somebody I'm just ready to get home and lay around in my underwear doing nothing. It's this kind of feeling that makes me wonder if I could ever get married because damned if I could be around somebody all the damn time without going a little crazy.

• I say do it.

A wise man once said "Every evening I have a 'by myself' meeting." Although I gotta admit, my 'by myself' meetings usually involve some Suave cocoa butter, Windows Media Player and pretty little thang named Olivia O'Lovely.

Herm

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've never rolled out solo, only to a couple shows and live music events, but
    THIS is me right here too:

I have varied interest. There is no one I know what is into film, spoken word, slamming, hip hop, dj'ing, digging and flatland like me. I have my film people, dj people, poetry people. etc.. There is not a lot of cross pollination between my worlds.

• I've never rolled out solo, only to a couple shows and live music events, but
    THIS is me right here too:

I have varied interest. There is no one I know what is into film, spoken word, slamming, hip hop, dj'ing, digging and flatland like me. I have my film people, dj people, poetry people. etc.. There is not a lot of cross pollination between my worlds.

Tell 'em what they've won, Chuck!

• I say do it.

A wise man once said "Every evening I have a 'by myself' meeting." Although I gotta admit, my 'by myself' meetings usually involve some Suave cocoa butter, Windows Media Player and pretty little thang named Olivia O'Lovely.

Herm

Yeah, then you smoke a blunt and dial that mysterious number when you're quick on the draw and your hand is on the 49311 with the rugged rhymes galore.

• I say do it.

Herm

Yeah, then you smoke a blunt and dial that mysterious number when you're quick on the draw and your hand is on the 49311 with the rugged rhymes galore.

Oh my God.

YOU'VE BEEN WATCHING ME?!?!?!

• It's this kind of feeling that makes me wonder if I could ever get married because damned if I could be around somebody all the damn time without going a little crazy.

co-sign. I can't even have roommates anymore. I hate having people around. I hate people.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the only time i've gone to a bar solo was cos of a girl working there. i played it off like i would get a few drinks and then meet up with my friends but those fuckers ended up ditching me and then i just looked like an alcoholic

• Oh my God.

YOU'VE BEEN WATCHING ME?!?!?!

No, but I heard Cappadonna has some extra time to spare.

• It's this kind of feeling that makes me wonder if I could ever get married because damned if I could be around somebody all the damn time without going a little crazy.

co-sign. I can't even have roommates anymore. I hate having people around. I hate people.

It depends on how you define "all the time". If it's just you and a significant other, you can separate. Now if you have kids, then you really are around someone damn near all the time. That is a completely different situation.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You could be in a bar with a bunch of 'friends' sitting there thinking, why do I hang out with these people, they're fucking boring, all they talk about is how wasted they were the other night/day/minute. Or some equally lame and tedious shit.

• you become an official loser when alcoholism kicks in and you go to stupid bars alone most...if not every...nite of the week.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    you become an official loser when alcoholism kicks in and you go to stupid bars alone most...if not every...nite of the week.

All I need is Elizabeth Shue and I'm set. Haven't burnt all my possessions yet though.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Ok bro, ive worked in bars for over 10 years now and the deal is,
    if you are alone and sitting at the bar: cool.
    if you are alone and sitting in a booth: weird.
    people drink in bars.
    aint no shame in your game.

and always remember to tip your bartender

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Going to the bar alone is cool. Drunk people are entertaining and you could have a good time. Now going to the movies alone is something I can't do. I feel weird solo in the theatre.

bar=yes
    movies=no

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Going to the bar alone is cool. Drunk people are entertaining and you could have a good time. Now going to the movies alone is something I can't do. I feel weird solo in the theatre.

bar=yes
    movies=no

Co-sign, going alone to the movies make you look like a serial killer or a child molester. Just don't.

• I spent some time traveling around Europe in college while I did study abroad. I would usually go places on my own. At first I felt really lame, but really, once I stopped giving a shit about other peoples perceptions of me it was kind of nice. I could do what I wanted and I would usually end up hanging out with locals and getting a better feel for whatever city I was in. The few times I did travel with other people from my school sucked. Got into a bar fight in Venice (actually the highlight of the trip) and hung out with a really boring Russian exchange student in Amsterdam. That guy had absolutely nothing to say about anything. He just got stoned and sat still totally incapable of small talk and his shoes smelled like a fucking sewer. Really I can???t quite explain how much traveling with this guy sucked.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    whats the deal with not going to movies alone?

• of course the ramifications and repercussions of this question and its answer have serious long-range implications.

but seriously, the consensus says its ok to go sit at the bar. But what if you start reading a book? is it ?