Keeping the shrink wrap on record sleeves

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I've gotten in the habit of just cutting a slit in the shrink wrap of my new records but I've heard that the shrink wrap can cause warping as it may contract in warmer temperatures. Anyone know more about this or have any negative experiences doing the same?

Comments

• ive hear that leaving the shrink wrap on is bad too. you can buy plastic record sleeves cheap on ebay or at jerry raskin's needle doctor web site.

• You should take off the shrink. It is usually dirty/dusty and can sometimes be too tight resulting in gradual warpage over time (of the jacket, at least).

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    and besides from warping the record, the plastic wrap will also cling to the ink on the cover and mess it up when someone does eventually take it off.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've gotten in the habit of just cutting a slit in the shrink wrap of my new records but I've heard that the shrink wrap can cause warping as it may contract in warmer temperatures. Anyone know more about this or have any negative experiences doing the same?

Shrink wrap will not hurt your records, that is a bobe-mayse.

The shrink film is very stable. It does not continue to shrink. I have never had seen it pull the ink off the record.

If the wrap is too tight and causing the cover to warp, of course remove it. Obviously the cover will warp long before the record inside.

If there is mold or mildew under the wrap, or if the wrap is filthy, remove it.

Otherwise it is protecting the cover and should be left alone.

Dan

• I've gotten in the habit of just cutting a slit in the shrink wrap of my new records but I've heard that the shrink wrap can cause warping as it may contract in warmer temperatures. Anyone know more about this or have any negative experiences doing the same?

Shrink wrap will not hurt your records, that is a bobe-mayse.

The shrink film is very stable. It does not continue to shrink. I have never had seen it pull the ink off the record.

If the wrap is too tight and causing the cover to warp, of course remove it. Obviously the cover will warp long before the record inside.

If there is mold or mildew under the wrap, or if the wrap is filthy, remove it.

Otherwise it is protecting the cover and should be left alone.

Dan

I've definitely seen lots of records where the shrink has bent or otherwise ruined the corners from it shrinking over time.

I always take it off, like people said you can get plastic sleeves for cheap.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have never had a record get screwed up by shrink wrap. Of course I have bought the odd record where the shrink is old & raggedy looking & removed it & also over a long period of time it can seem to constrict on the cover but from everything I've seen this is pretty rare & the shrink has to have been on there for like a gazillion years.

• This is a very tough life choice that every Soulstrutter has to come to grips with. I would say that each case needs to be evaluated on an individual basis.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    That ever-shrinking wrap will shrink your record until it is a record no more! Watch out for that.

I don't even fuck with plastic sleeves, at least on the home shelves. I just keep a stack of the plastic sleeves and sleeve-up a record as appropriate.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Its probably best not to keep your records in their sleeves - ringwear, seam splits,

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is a very tough life choice that every Soulstrutter has to come to grips with. I would say that each case needs to be evaluated on an individual basis.

Let's take this up a level: If a record does not come with it's original inner sleeve do you find one of the exact era and label to restore the record to it's original patina? Or, do you use a fresh new one???

• Let it remain with the 'fake' inner sleeve, but keep it separated from the records with original inner sleeves so as not to taint them with its inauthenticity.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Let it remain with the 'fake' inner sleeve, but keep it separated from the records with original inner sleeves so as not to taint them with its inauthenticity.

ahhhh... Excellent! I celebrate any new method of segergation amongnst my records.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    This is a very tough life choice that every Soulstrutter has to come to grips with. I would say that each case needs to be evaluated on an individual basis.

It doesn't go away with years of record collecting. I only hope to be doing the right thing every time I have to face one of these cruxial moments. And remember, what you do in life with shrink wrapping echoes in eternity.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Let it remain with the 'fake' inner sleeve, but keep it separated from the records with original inner sleeves so as not to taint them with its inauthenticity.

sometimes i do worry....how do you deal with matching furniture?

• I noticed that in Argentina all records are permanently shrinkwrapped. Is this a remnant of the fascist dictatorship that refused to allow people their personal freedom of choice?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I hate the shrink wrap. I always take it off. It just bugs me.

• i received an email from somebody who was ripping the sealed-on plastic covers to his Odeon LPs because it allowed him to make cleaner scans of them for his website.

• If it's a plain inner sleeve I just pitch it and replace it with a nice plastic-lined paper one.

If there's printing on it or something special about it like the old ESP brown paper ones or the old Prestige rice paper ones, I will keep them inside the outer plastic sleeve, but I'll still put the record in a new plastic-lined paper inner sleeve. Whew!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I noticed that in Argentina all records are permanently shrinkwrapped. Is this a remnant of the fascist dictatorship that refused to allow people their personal freedom of choice?

I wish we could blame our past dictators on that. I'm afraid this goes deep in the argentinian collective mind. I believe it's people's own fear of freedom. Sad but true.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

Y'all ever been in a heated protest with a sign that says "This Is A Tricky Grey Area" like the kid in Arrested Development? I think I'ma do that this week.

Its probably best not to keep your records in their sleeves - ringwear, seam splits,

How is shrink wrap going to cause ringwear or seam splits

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

No, I meant you shouldn't keep you records in cardboard sleeves, whether they be shrinked wrapped or not.

Oh, I think your saying take the record out of the cover and store it seperatly. Yes, that is a good way to keep the covers pristine.

I used to try to match up original inner sleeves, but I got bored. I still have a big stack of cool old inner sleeves.

Now I give the record a new clean inner sleeve, but keep the original in the cover for archival purposes.

In other words I suffer from OCD.