Should I sell This????

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
John Fahey, Death Chants, Military Marches and Waltzes vol. 2. This goes for some $$$s right? Or a bit of change. I've given it a million listens and Ive tried to get into it. And Im pretty sure that I wont like it in ten years as Ive been sitting on it already for five.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Yes. John Fahey is lame.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    John Fahey, Death Chants, Military Marches and Waltzes vol. 2.

This goes for some $$$s right? Or a bit of change. I've given it a million listens and Ive tried to get into it. And Im pretty sure that I wont like it in ten years as Ive been sitting on it already for five.

black and white cover?

• nah its the orange cover with a very cool drawing, Ill get a pic up in a minute...
    the black cover's the expensive one right?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    great record, not that raer though

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Yes. John Fahey is lame.
    wow. just goes to show how people have differing tastes... how can you dislike a guy that drinks 18 guinness in one bar sitting?

• Im just curious what everyone is hearing on this one. I mean its good guitar playing and all, but i dunno. I guess it pisses me off every time I listen to it because I am expecting death chants and breakdowns. Who knew he was talking metaphorically?

nah its the orange cover with a very cool drawing, Ill get a pic up in a minute...

Orange cover isn't rare - maybe 10 bucks. B&W text only cover is like $150ish

• nah its the orange cover with a very cool drawing, Ill get a pic up in a minute...

Orange cover isn't rare - maybe 10 bucks. B&W text only cover is like $150ish

oh well, thanks. my waxidermy shit is coming soon..........

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I mean its great guitar playing and all

• Im just curious what everyone is hearing on this one. I mean its good guitar playing and all, but i dunno. I guess it pisses me off every time I listen to it because I am expecting death chants and breakdowns. Who knew he was talking metaphorically?

Taste's obviously differ because I think Fahey is But then again I think Brazilian Octopus sucks.

• no disrespect for the Fahey die hards. I can definately "hear" why people like him.

• Obviously Sandy Bull's longwinded jams are far superior though...and less depressing.

people are hearing a unique and idiosyncratic musician at the height of his powers playing ridiculously virtuosic yet wholly approachable folk and blues tropes that inhabit the familiar yet somehow get let out a back door to the eerie and euphoric.

it is truly incredible to me that someone could ever be like 'uh yeah. it's good guitar playing.' this shit is fucking transcendent. and that is NOT debatable.

people are hearing a unique and idiosyncratic musician at the height of his powers playing ridiculously virtuosic yet wholly approachable folk and blues tropes that inhabit the familiar yet somehow get let out a back door to the eerie and euphoric.

it is truly incredible to me that someone could ever be like 'uh yeah. it's good guitar playing.' this shit is fucking transcendent. and that is NOT debatable.

i guess its not Space Guitars...

ill give it another chance, jeez.

• hell yeah man. give it another listen. sometimes you have to just be ready for certain things. i think you will enjoy.

• sell this to noz

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I grew up where Fahey lived. He used to play his guitar out at this lake I always went swimming at as a kid. I enjoyed his music then and I enjoy it now.

Rapedonks is right, hold on to that shit.

Speaking of dude being right, I have to admit to being swayed by a Bannister review or two recently. I know, hand me a late pass, but shit's been right up my alley lately.

• I grew up where Fahey lived. He used to play his guitar out at this lake I always went swimming at as a kid. I enjoyed his music then and I enjoy it now.

Rapedonks is right, hold on to that shit.

Speaking of dude being right, I have to admit to being swayed by a Bannister review or two recently. I know, hand me a late pass, but shit's been right up my alley lately.

I gave this another "real" shot last night. I dont know what I was thinking before, but I am so down now.

Hooray!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Im just curious what everyone is hearing on this one. I mean its good guitar playing and all, but i dunno. I guess it pisses me off every time I listen to it because I am expecting death chants and breakdowns. Who knew he was talking metaphorically?

agreed. although i'll let you debate it if need be for reasons of free speech etc. etc.

fahey has been an essential companion for just about every road trip i've even taken. and to be honest, i often think of him while out in the middle of nowhere in this country, popping into thrift stores and flea markets to buy records... which is exactly what Fahey did.... the biggest difference being that i don't live out of my car-------yet......

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I dont know what I was thinking before, but now that I have heard Fahey acclaimed by other soulstrutters I am so down now.

I think I was 'nonplussed' upon first hearing Fahey( the transmigration of blind joe death one) - it took hearing the more psychedelic raga-influenced later 60's stuff for me to really 'get' it.

'the great san bernadino birfday party' is my favorite.

the biggest difference being that i don't live out of my car-------yet......

What was the deal with him living out of his car anyhow?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

toward the end of his years, he was pretty much living out of his car, on the fritz both physically and mentally.... hawking guitars and other junk... travelling around the country, hitting fleas... and yes, buying records.

i can remember the first time i heard sligo river blues, passing over the sligo river, and the shit seriously made me cry. (insert sensitive graemlin).

toward the end of his years, he was pretty much living out of his car, on the fritz both physically and mentally.... hawking guitars and other junk... travelling around the country, hitting fleas... and yes, buying records.

I'd heard he was a record collectro - I'd just always wondered if he was living out of his car at the end out of poverty or by choice...

• Dude was more than a record collector, he was a serious Harry Smith disciple. It's long overdue that Revenant Records, the label he founded, got its own appreciation post: the American Primitive series, the Albert Ayler Holy Ghost box set, and the Charley Patton box set are some of the best archival releases to come out in the past 20 years.

American Primitive series

This one is

On vinyl too.

• American Primitive series

This one is

On vinyl too.

I got the CD, but this reminds me that I haven't listened to my vinyl copy of Revenant's Capt. Beefheart Box Set in a while [Grow Fins 1965-82]. I need some Trout Mask Replica outtakes right now...

• I'd heard he was a record collectro - I'd just always wondered if he was living out of his car at the end out of poverty or by choice...

Inaccurate.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/special/fahey030901.html

"A 78 enthusiast and law-school student, Blackwood contacted Fahey in late 1994, and the two hit it off, plotting to launch a reissue label of "American raw music," Fahey's term for the work of a wide array of visionary iconoclasts, from Dock Boggs to Captain Beefheart to Ornette Coleman. When Fahey's father left him an inheritance, he sank the money into Revenant. The label's 1997 Boggs set is typical of Revenant's exacting standards: a definitive CD of the banjoist's early work, encased in an exquisitely produced, 64-page text- and photo-crammed hardbound book with the antiquated look and feel of a priceless heirloom.

Meanwhile, Fahey started performing again. But instead of latching onto the neo-folk revival he'd helped to spark, he opened shows for noise merchants such as Sonic Youth and Cul de Sac at rock clubs, far from the coffeehouse circuit of his heyday. Now wielding an electric guitar, he presented new material reveling in distortion and industrial clatter, refusing requests from ponytailed grayhairs who wanted to hear Takoma John fingerpick the old songs. (Like another reluctant icon of '60s counterculture, Robert Crumb, Fahey was an ardent hippie-hater.)

During his resurgence and up until his death, Fahey resided in a series of motels in Salem."