Records You Regret Not Selling

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Looked at a collection of "grail" breakbeat records the other day... most of them worth today 1/2 to 3/4 of what they were worth when the guy was collecting... or less. pretty wack (for him)...I would've sold all that stupid sample shit back then if I had known. Thankfully, at least I sold most of it...

Comments

• My copy of Troy Dodds on El Camino should've been sold before that damn west coast find turned up more copis i can still get mucho dinero but i need to squeeze this one because i'm buying a computer for the dosh

/L

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I got out while the market was hot. I collected maybe 1000 sample / break records thinking someday I would produce. Came to grips that I would never be Pete Rock and sold them all a couple summers a go ... did quite well.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    A shitload of 'classic' house and garage that a couple of years ago was worth a whole heap more than it is now. A lot of $30+ records that now I'd be lucky to get $5 for. Time to get all my DJ Harvey Black Cock 12s on the bay - that's another bubble nearing bursting point...house is soooo dead.

• what exactly are these breaks sample records that arent worth shit anymore?? power of zeus, the meters, lou donaldson, etc???

• what exactly are these breaks sample records that arent worth shit anymore?? power of zeus, the meters, lou donaldson, etc???

Yeah to an extent, and I mean "worth shit" in the sense that where it used to be $150+, now it's $75. still nice but not if you paid $200 for it

Yeah to an extent, and I mean "worth shit" in the sense that where it used to be $150+, now it's $75. still nice but not if you paid $200 for it

gotcha, did ya get any with nice breaks for me...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Juggaknots and Siah & Yeshuah LPs--I did sell them, but probably waited too long.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Time to get all my DJ Harvey Black Cock 12s on the bay - that's another bubble nearing bursting point...house is soooo dead.

hahaha

so wrong dude

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    Time to get all my DJ Harvey Black Cock 12s on the bay - that's another bubble nearing bursting point...house is soooo dead.

hahaha

so wrong dude

wrong x10000.

map of africa is overated tho.

hahaha

so wrong dude

wrong x10000.

map of africa is overated tho.

i agree its overrated but the harvey mania is on a HUGE upswing as a result.. people who think he peaked with sarcastic, black cock are in for a rude awakening when they find out the ceiling isnt even in site yet.

Wrong on all fronts, the Harvey front or the house front? All I know is that I can't shift the house records I had when people were clamouring for those titles not so long ago.

Well I've got a big stack of Harvey records, maybe 20 or so going back over 15 years. Wanna buy 'em?

Ok, so it must be the rest of my house stock that's losing value witrh every passing minute...

by house what do you mean? 1992 - 2000?? that shit will always be wortheless yes.

1983-1991 - pure fire

harvey.. dude is a legend.. his wax comands retarded prices now.. and like i said his star is on the rise shockingly enough. As long as he stays on the forefront of the cosmic / balearic scene which has been picking up more than enough steam lately it would be remiss to unload unless you really need the cash.

As long as he stays on the forefront of the cosmic / balearic scene which has been picking up more than enough steam lately it would be remiss to unload unless you really need the cash.

I'm having a hard time determining whether or not you dudes are serious...

All my house and garage stuff is 84-92 really but here in London I just can't shift it. I've known Harvey since about 1988 when he used to do parties with the rest of the Cambridge crew and then I was well into Tonka parties and the Moist nights before I kind of gave up on regular clubbing. He hasn't really changed his style in all that time. Got a bunch of old Harvey mix tapes that I'll try to record and throw online.

But Dubious - you think the Black Cock stuff will go even higher? I mean Love Hotel EP for $180? I don't even think it's a good tune.

As long as he stays on the forefront of the cosmic / balearic scene which has been picking up more than enough steam lately it would be remiss to unload unless you really need the cash.

Ha ha well I hadn't heard of cosmic as a genre but he's always been top of the balearic tree.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I throw house records away.

I throw house records away.

You'll regret it.

Ha ha well I hadn't heard of cosmic as a genre but he's always been top of the balearic tree.

i ahve no idea who that fool there is.. but considering Baldelli was in one of the last issues of wax poetics (dont people on the strut like that mag?) i find it pretty surprising that peeps still dont know what cosmic is.. but hey wuddeva...

All my house and garage stuff is 84-92 really but here in London I just can't shift it.

well i dont now about $ value but this is stuff that holds a strong MUSICAL value.. that's your cornerstone of house era right thur... i would hold on to that stuff because it will never be anything but the cornerstone.. it would be akin to ditching all your disco records from 76 - 80.

I've known Harvey since about 1988 when he used to do parties with the rest of the Cambridge crew and then I was well into Tonka parties and the Moist nights before I kind of gave up on regular clubbing. He hasn't really changed his style in all that time. Got a bunch of old Harvey mix tapes that I'll try to record and throw online.

well to the faithful i think that's part of the appeal.. similar to mancuso.. dude did things his way and has been doing it that way for a long long time.. that tends to garner alot of respect / staying power...

But Dubious - you think the Black Cock stuff will go even higher? I mean Love Hotel EP for $180? I don't even think it's a good tune.

well i think $18 is too much for a tune so im not the right dude to ask as to why peeps would spend that kind of loot.. but we're talking music that was released in the pre internet era in very limited quantity that is not likely to get repressed... so yes i think if it can hit $180 i see no reason for it to go higher based on the fact that Harvey continues to stay on the scene and the curent climate of re-edits / balaeric sensibilities continues to keep his name at the forefront.