Maybe there is new music I might like.... but....

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if you like phoenix, try.....

tahiti 80
    pas/cal

• Also, try TV on the Radio. Some of it is pretty fuzzed out rock, but no shit, "Wear You Out," may be the hottest soul song of the last ten years. 8 minutes long, saxophones, thinly veiled raunchy lyrics...I mean, the hipsters love it, but they might be right on this one. "Desperate Youth/Bloodthirsty Babies," is their big album (with "Wear You Out," which you should all check out), and the "New Health Rock EP," is pretty hot as well.

I dont give a fuck if hipsters love this, or if me loving this makes me a hipster...these dudes are the shit. for real. some driving around singing your ass off with the cd type shit.

• Black Mountain

Amen.

Thirded

You could also try that new Sufjan Stevens (sp?) LP Illaniose, which is pretty easy on the ear and interesting lyrically.

The hottest new band in the UK are The Arctic Monkeys, whose album is pretty good. There's also Hard-Fi, who are similarly Clash-like, but not as good.

If you like coldplay, but want something with slighly more credibility, check Elbow's Leaders of the Free World LP.

If you liked that Killers joint, you could do worse than check The Editors LP and perhaps Arcade Fire

Beck's Guero, that's a pretty nice album and has beats too, if straight-up rock turns you off

For some modern Folksy oddness, try Devendra Banhart's Cripple Crow, which has some borderline childish lyrics that I think you'd dig.

• Quantic soul orchestras first album is so fucking good! - funk
    And quantic??s solo album i good to! electronics

I think modest mouse is cool. - rock

A lot of the stuff from the ninja tune label is dooing it for me. The cinmatic orchestra, hexstatic, mr. scruff, skalpel, roots manuva. - eletronic

eagles of deathmetal - rock

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Yea I'm looking forward to the new Eagles OF Death Metal. There last album was really good. Kind of a T Rex vibe going.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I finally tried some new rock. Well, new to me!

Great songwriting and the production is off the chain.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Some fine new music:

Greg Davis - Curling Pond Wood

My favorite artist these days. Folky electronic music. Lovely sound. His new album with Sebastien Roux, Paquet Surprise, is pretty good as well.

Birch Book - Birch Book

B'eirth Birch's solo project, guy behind In Gowan Ring. Mysterious, literate, poetic and intelligent folk and country.

Seth Nehil & Olivia Block - Sunder, United

Me loves avantgarde and field recordings.

Depth Affect - Arche-Lymb

New release (was released yesterday) on french label Autres Directions in Music. A good mix of electronica, hip hop, folk and dub and... Alias said they're one of the best bands he's played with.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    hi guys. sorry to drop in just to be salty but as usual the strut reps a bunch of crap in the non hip-hop new music thread (unless for some reason you consider the minutemen to be ???new???). i swear it???s like you guy get your music recommendations from spin magazine or some shit. people act like modern music is for some reason doomed, but if you take your time to look around you find that there's a rather overwhelming ammount of amazing and creative new music going on RIGHT NOW in every corner of the world.

some newer shit that I dig/recommend (besides the obvious shit you hear on the radio). Mostly in the folk, drone, metal, or noise rock vein:

Boredoms
    Angels of Light
    Lightning Bolt
    Six Organs of Admittance
    Air Conditioning
    Comets on Fire
    Sword Heaven
    Hototogisu, Skullflower, Sunroof!, pretty much anything Matthew Bower does
    Ohkami No Jikan
    Ghost
    Bohren & Der Club of Gore
    Bunkur
    Deathspell Omega

now here???s a list I can more or less get behind (sans the six organs). however i really don???t think that reccomending skullflower to someone whose lone favorite punk band is me first and the gimme gimmies will do much good though. it???s like dropping critique of pure reason in the lap of a 9th grader.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    hi guys. sorry to drop in just to be salty but as usual the strut reps a bunch of crap in the non hip-hop new music thread (unless for some reason you consider the minutemen to be ???new???). i swear it???s like you guy get your music recommendations from spin magazine or some shit.

COSIGN

dude is bummed he cant find any decent new music and we get a solid page of Wilco, modest mouse, sufjan stevens ..good god why dont you just tell him to pickup the ost to garden state and the OC ( i think there's even a couple volumes out by now)...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Well.. he really didn't clue us in on what he does like. Besides a couple acts i've never heard of.

- spidey

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    two thots:
    1. Secret Machines. Haven't heard their record, but live they're sick.
    2. Gang Gang Dance. I can't even describe this EP. Smoked the fuck out. Beautiful/creepy.

• Two Dittos:
    Secret Machines
    Black Mountain

Also think you should check out Pearlene. My buddy plays keys for them. Their first album (S/T) was put out by Sympathy For the Record Industry and their second (Murder Blues $ Prayer) was put out by Dim Mak.

Gang Gang Dance.

Great shit.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

now here???s a list I can more or less get behind (sans the six organs). however i really don???t think that reccomending skullflower to someone whose lone favorite punk band is me first and the gimme gimmies will do much good though. it???s like dropping critique of pure reason in the lap of a 9th grader.

^^^ YES

• Another group that was on Sympathy for the Record Industry is Mr. Airplane Man. Two ladies doing the guitar-drums blues thing. I think it is their self-titled album (I have a copy from a friend) that includes a cover of "Jesus on the mainline," and the tearjerker, "I've got a very bad feeling". And, if you're feeling that, consult your Spin magazine for other such blase two man blues bands as the Black Keys...or add a third member, and check out the Heartless Bastards.

One other outlet to check out is woxy.com, an internet radio station out of Cincinnati. They play a wiiiide mix of music, their only driving ethos being that it be new and interesting. Many of the above mentioned bands have been featured on there, as well as new hip hop, electronic, alt-country. You won't like all of it, but it is commercial free and always interesting.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I saw this group a few weeks ago called 'the Celebration'. Really good live. The group is a trio, but one dude plays about 4 instruments (usually 3 at a time!). It is no gimmick though, he can hold it down.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

^^^ YES

Owner of a Lonely Heart

2. Gang Gang Dance. I can't even describe this EP. Smoked the fuck out. Beautiful/creepy.

gods money is incredible!!!

• Jackie-O-Motherfucker
    No Neck Blues Band

>>>Is there a genre out there that I'm just sleeping on completely???

Gregorian Chant and Plainsong

Strangely enough, you usually see No Neck referred to as NNCK.

The new one is on....Kill Rock Stars? It's called "Qvaris".

• awallawall 673 Posts

gods money is incredible!!!

yeah that album really grew on me this past year. if that shit floats your boat you should check the paavoharju album if you haven't already.

and i never really thought much of no neck's albums but they slay shit live.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    here's a list i compiled for some other website. over 25 relatively accessible not-rap albums that came out in the past year alone

Steve Reid Ensemble - Spirit Walk
    Paavoharju - Yh?? H??m??r?-
    Afrirampo - Ursula Live in Japan & Kore Ga Mayaku Da
    Pelican - The Fire in our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
    Earth - HEX: Or Printing In The Infernal Method
    Vashti Bunyan - Lookingafter & Prospect hummer
    Loren Mazzacane Connors & Christina Carter - Meditations on the Ascension of Blind Joe Death
    Secret Mommy - Very Rec
    Boredoms - Sea Drum/House of the Sun
    Circle - Forest
    Growing - His Return
    Oneida - The Wedding
    Dead Meadow - Feathers
    Nagista Ni Te - Dream Sounds
    Islaja - Palaa Aurinkoon
    Black Mountain - S/T
    Om - Variation on a Theme
    Jane - Berserker
    Konono No. 1 - Congotronics
    ES - Sateenkaarisuudelma
    Smog - A River isn-t too Much to Love
    Gang Gang Dance - God-s Money
    Boris & Merzbow - Sun Baked Snow Cave & Pink
    Residual Echoes - Phoenician Flu & Ancient Ocean
    Josephine Foster - Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You
    Electrelane - Axes

• and i never really thought much of no neck's albums but they slay shit live.

'Tis largely true. I'll offer "Letters from the Serth", "Letters from the Earth" and "Live at Ken's Electric Lake" as decent albums from the collective, though. They have about 15 or so.

Cats that dig Gang Gang Dance might dig Excepter as well.

Ahem...

Mostly in the folk,
    ehh

drone
    Definite NO-THANKs

metal
    no thanks

noise rock
    H to the E to the L to the L to the N to the O.

And don't think this is any kind of diss to your list either, just not shit I'm into.

now here???s a list I can more or less get behind (sans the six organs).
    Congradulations! Its good to know that for all types of music thats being made there are people out there to enjoy it, even if its not me.

however i really don???t think that reccomending skullflower to someone whose lone favorite punk band is me first and the gimme gimmies will do much good though.
    Not my favorite punk band, but rather my exception to most punk. If you are a die hard punk rocker then I don't know what this music will mean to you. However, screaming angry kids doesn't float my boat. but its good to know that for all types of music thats being made there are people out there to enjoy it, even if its not me.

it???s like dropping critique of pure reason in the lap of a 9th grader.
    I appreciate music for its musical qualities, not its "intellectual" qualities.
    9th graders can make noise. Pretty damn well actually. the whole noise/drone/record-a-moquito-taking-a-shit-and-pitch-it-down-to-minus-50 music is really masturbatory to me, but its good to know that for all types of music thats being made there are people out there to enjoy it, even if its not me.

So yeah, even though most of the stuff people are recomending probably won't be for me, at least people are trying. And yes, I've listened to the Boredoms, and said to myself "huh, ok" but I'm not sure how somebody is supposed to listen to that regularly... like driving around and bobbing your head to it or some shit.

But this thread isn't about shitting on other people's taste. seriously.

and to the person who said that the only 2 groups I listed you've never even heard of... well, I know, that what makes it such a pain in the ass. But I highly recomend people check them out.

I've checked out some new ninja tune stuff, and some of it is ok, but why is "downtempo" or "electronica" always so gloomy and stuff? nobody on ninja tune is making happy beats. People must live where it rains alot. well it never rains here, so gloomy music doesn't really fit my lifestyle.

anyways, the point is, thank you for everybody's suggestions so far, and please feel free to carry on.

• Steve Reid Ensemble ??? Spirit Walk
    Paavoharju - Yh?? H??m??r????
    Afrirampo ??? Ursula Live in Japan & Kore Ga Mayaku Da
    Pelican ??? The Fire in our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
    Earth - HEX: Or Printing In The Infernal Method
    Vashti Bunyan ??? Lookingafter & Prospect hummer
    Loren Mazzacane Connors & Christina Carter - Meditations on the Ascension of Blind Joe Death
    Secret Mommy ??? Very Rec
    Boredoms ??? Sea Drum/House of the Sun
    Circle ??? Forest
    Growing ??? His Return
    Oneida ??? The Wedding
    Dead Meadow - Feathers
    Nagista Ni Te - Dream Sounds
    Islaja - Palaa Aurinkoon
    Black Mountain ??? S/T
    Om ??? Variation on a Theme
    Jane ??? Berserker
    Konono No. 1 - Congotronics
    ES - Sateenkaarisuudelma
    Smog ??? A River isn???t too Much to Love
    Gang Gang Dance ??? God???s Money
    Boris & Merzbow ??? Sun Baked Snow Cave & Pink
    Residual Echoes ??? Phoenician Flu & Ancient Ocean
    Josephine Foster ??? Hazel Eyes, I Will Lead You
    Electrelane - Axes

konono is great, no doubt.
    Anyone hear that Steve Reid? Anywhere as good as nova or rhythmatism?

new stuff i dig

The Budos Band
    Dungen
    The Joint Chiefs (Memphis rock...not the rap group)
    El Michaels Affair
    Sigur Ros
    Wolfmother
    HIgh on Fire
    The Big Business

word...Wolfmother is they sound like black sabbath mixed with the who.

Listening to these guys right now....It's like I walked into my bedroom 20 some years ago. These guys would of been all over hit parader and circus magazine! I'm kinda feelin' it.

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    http://download.yousendit.com/4815692729153BE7
    it just sounds good
    pretty harmless and carefree song, olde tyme feel

Listening to these guys right now....It's like I walked into my bedroom 20 some years ago. These guys would of been all over hit parader and circus magazine! I'm kinda feelin' it.
    are you guys shitting?

that band is HORRIBLE... a whitey froed fool singing like robert plant "WOOOOO MAAAAAANNNN"

while dudes who look about as hard as the rhtym section to maroon five "hold it down"

i literally had to choke back the vomit

are you guys shitting?

that band is HORRIBLE... a whitey froed fool singing like robert plant "WOOOOO MAAAAAANNNN"

while dudes who look about as hard as the rhtym section to maroon five "hold it down"

i literally had to choke back the vomit
    maybe I'm being nostalgic...

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts

The Live CD is Dope as well but I need to peep that DVD

• Broadcast