The state of the Union? (um, not good)

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I continue to be amazed at the audacity of Republican responses in the face of criticism for ineffective policies, and especially, wrongdoing. The response is usually not whether or not they did anything bad, but that Democrats did something bad too.Bush mislead about WMDs???Clinton and Democratss also said there were WMDs too. So it???s OK? No.Bush broke the law tapping domestic phone calls without a warrant???Clinton broke the law testifying in the Lewinsky scandal. Even Steven? Fuck off.And then over the past week???Not only did Abramoff give money to Republicans, but also ???directed??? money to Democrats. So this is a bipartisan scandal? Bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit.First, justifying misdeeds using relative morality is something most of us learn not to do as a child. Remember trying to justify something you did as a child? Using a relative moral argument you???d say something like ???Well, Mom, everybody in class was cheating on the test.??? Being grown up, you learn there are certain things that are wrong no matter how many other fucking idiots do it and when you make mistakes, you accept the consequences???move on and learn.What???s incredibly sad is that the media is complicit once again in distributing this nonsense. We expect the Republicans to try several different methods to deflect guilt, but for the media to take the whole thing and swallow it is sad. Really sad.The Native American tribes that Abramoff duped were already giving money to Democrats way before they hired Abramoff. In fact, as clients of Ambramoff, they decreased their contributions by 10% while increasing the contributions to Republicans by 100%. If Abramoff ???directed??? anything with regard to Democrats, he directed money away. Now they are slinging mud at Harry Reid saying he took all this Abramoff ???directed??? money. Please, Reid is a Senator from Nevada which has a huge Native American constituency that has always given money to Democrats.It???s another example of how all you have to is simply go one simple step beyond talking points to verify statements with evidence. Seriously, we???re talking about less that ten minutes worth of research. But the media can???t even bother. Really fucking sad.I???m sure Bush will get on TV tonight and blow smoke about it...talking about cleaning up the halls of Congress while Cheney and Hastert will stand their fat bloated white asses up and applause behind him. He???ll probably talk about earmarks. How did this become about earmarks?

Comments

• dude dont you have a dog to abuse?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    you can do better.

• you can do better.

thanx for the vote of confidence, but your just playing the team shit, admit it reid fucked up, dude will not be in a leadership position next week

yeah republicans when caught doing lame shit say "look dems did it too", both should be punished, your just making excuses for dems which is just as bad as dueches that say god sent bush to save this country

• i give funky16corners a half hour till he posts here and call me a neocon or something

tick tick tick...

you can do better.

thanx for the vote of confidence, but your just playing the team shit, admit it reid fucked up, dude will not be in a leadership position next week

yeah republicans when caught doing lame shit say "look dems did it too", both should be punished, your just making excuses for dems which is just as bad as dueches that say god sent bush to save this country

you're following the same the same logic that I am criticising. shame on you.

and not only do I like to beat my dog, but I also take pictures of it.
    look at her suffering! somebody call the SPCA!

i give funky16corners a half hour till he posts here and call me a neocon or something

tick tick tick...

there's nothing wrong with being a neocon. but that description does not suit you, from what I've read.

• you're following the same the same logic that I am criticising. shame on you.

i dont think iam, the repubs that took money should either give it back or step down or be punished accordingly, but the same should be done with the dems (like reid) i am not defending either party

• there's nothing wrong with being a neocon. but that description does not suit you, from what I've read.

does this mean you think iam right of neocons or to the left?

• TOTAL ANIMAL LIBERATION NOW!!![/b]

there's nothing wrong with being a neocon. but that description does not suit you, from what I've read.

does this mean you think iam right of neocons or to the left?

i refuse to use right or left as genres. that said, neocon describes specific views on foreign policy that I don't recall you espousing, but I've been away for a while. i do remember disagreeing a lot with you on political issues, but thinking the discussions were overall very valuable.

• i refuse to use right or left as genres. that said, neocon describes specific views on foreign policy that I don't recall you espousing, but I've been away for a while. i do remember disagreeing a lot with you on political issues, but thinking the discussions were overall very valuable.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    the repubs that took money should either give it back or step down or be punished accordingly, but the same should be done with the dems (like reid) i am not defending either party

No one is above the law. Each person should be punished accordingly regardless of their party affiliation/access to power AND contrary to popular belief, giving the money back doesn't make it better. Fuck them all. This country needs a "facelift."

the repubs that took money should either give it back or step down or be punished accordingly, but the same should be done with the dems (like reid) i am not defending either party

No one is above the law. Each person should be punished accordingly regardless of their party affiliation/access to power AND contrary to popular belief, giving the money back doesn't make it better. Fuck them all. This country needs a "facelift."

mandatory early retirement for all baby boomers

Then we have to support all their fat asses.

• This country needs a "facelift."

i dont know if we would agree on what the face should look like, but i am in total agreement, things have to change, neither party is really giving a shit about anybody except themselves and their checkbooks

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    After Bin Laden's #2 man, Ayman al-Zawahiri released a tape yesterday outlining exactly how GWB can end "all terrorism" immediately I'm pretty certain he'll use tonights State Of The Union address to announce his conversion to Islam......once he does that there will finally be Peace On Earth...who ever imagined it would be THAT easy!!

And how friggin stupid are these Muslims wanting someone like George W. to be a member of their "club"!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    See, 3rdstream, here's where you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Accepting a contribution from a lobbyist in return for legislative favors is illegal. Democrats accepted ZERO DOLLARS from Abramoff. Democrats are in no position to sell favors, since they are not in power/cannot influence legislation. Abramoff is a hardcore conservative who has been operaterating a slush fund for republicans for the last five years.

You swallowed the RNC talking point hook, line and sinker. This is a Republican scandal through and through. Show me otherwise. Please. Give me anything. Anything.

And don't say "democrats took money too." That's ign'ant. Accepting a contribution from a constituent is not illegal.

R*ch, right now my problems with gov't have VERY LITTLE to do with terrorism. Both Republicans and Democrats (Bush, Cheney, Gonzales and Rumsfeld especially) feel they are above the law. They all need to be taken down a peg. Greed, pandering, complete disregard for public sentiment and welfare are all rampant on both sides of the aisle. Stop talking about terrorism and focus on the reality of our current situation in America.

YOUR REPRESENTATIVES DO NOT REPRESENT YOU.[/b]

And R*ch, honestly think about that before you reply.
    Peace
    T.N.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    And how friggin stupid are these Muslims wanting someone like George W. to be a member of their "club"!!!

about as friggin stupid as the Christians?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Soory, I think of terrorism every time I get on the train.

You can't stop terrorism. If they want to do it, they'll find a way. The reason a terrorist attack hasn't happened in America is not because of lack of ability IMO. It is oneupsmanship of trying to top 9-11. That's the only thing that makes sense in my mind, because bombing the subway in NYC would be super easy if desired. I'm sorry for being cold when I say that, but logic leans toward my side.
    Peace
    T.N.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

You take public transport with all the poor people?

i like to see how the other half lives

Nah. He takes the Acela down to DC to have Grover Norquist cum on his tits and be back in time for dinner.

R*ch, right now my problems with gov't have VERY LITTLE to do with terrorism. Both Republicans and Democrats (Bush, Cheney, Gonzales and Rumsfeld especially) feel they are above the law. They all need to be taken down a peg. Greed, pandering, complete disregard for public sentiment and welfare are all rampant on both sides of the aisle. Stop talking about terrorism and focus on the reality of our current situation in America.

YOUR REPRESENTATIVES DO NOT REPRESENT YOU.[/b]

And R*ch, honestly think about that before you reply.
    Peace
    T.N.

T.N.,
    If you've read my posts in the two short months I've been here you would know that I'm totally on board with YOUR REPRESENTATIVES DO NOT REPRESENT YOU.[/b]

But do you really think that either party is ever going to reprimand themselves or admit to any wrongdoings??? There's a better chance Bush WILL convert to Islam ....and BTW...my post about his conversion was 100% sarcasm.

Some time back I started a thread called "The Horrors Of Horizontal Politics" which echoes your feelings about today's representation...I've posted it below so you can see we are indeed in agreement.

And I'm going to do my part by voting for Kinky Friedman for Governor of Texas!!
    _________________________________________________________________________________

Since I joined a few months ago I've read many passionate political posts from people who obviously care about what's going on in the world.

Being an old dude that has been involved with, and seen alot of shit in my time I thought I'd give y'all my take on the state of our country and it's politics.

Be forwarned....it's depressing.

The Republican Party has become a gang of sleazy self serving scumbags who only care about bringing "pork" to their constituants, lining their pockets with cash and re-election. They don't care about the future of our country or the world as a whole....Live for today and as the Hell's Angels like to say...FTW

And they have a fool proof method to guarantee their success.

On the other hand...

The Democrat Party has become a gang of sleazy self serving scumbags who only care about bringing "pork" to their constituants, lining their pockets with cash and re-election. They don't care about the future of our country or the world as a whole....Live for today and as the Hell's Angels like to say...FTW

And they have the same fool proof method to guarantee their success.

It's called Horizontal Politics....and it's pretty simple.

As long as both of these parties can maintain a line drawn in the sand with all the citizens on either side of the line pointing HORIZONTALLY at each other, these Charlatans can keep screwing us. Democrats blaming Republicans and vice versa with morons like Rush Limbaugh, Al Franken, Bill O'Reilly, Alan Colmes, etc. being the head "Cheerleaders"....and it's all a big deception.

One day Bill Clinton gives his cheerleaders a sound bite about how the Bush boys screwed up in Iraq and the next day he's posing with his arms around Satan and his son. Both sides of this equation are laughing their asses off at US all the way to the bank and into the History Books.

AND EVERY SINGLE POLITICIAN IN OFFICE THINKS THAT VOTERS ARE IDIOTS WHO CAN BE EASILY MANIPULATED.......AND THEY ARE RIGHT!!!!.

America has become just like every other out of control country....One evil self serving leader is replaced by another self serving idiot...they just wear different uniforms. And by the time they reach the top, they owe so many special interest groups that it's impossible for them to do what's best for the people as a whole.

There is only one solution but it may be too little too late.

And quite frankly, as long as the majority of the people have a job, a roof over their head and an IPOD, they are not going to be motivated to do what's needed to make real changes.

The only answer is VERTICAL politics.....instead of spending all your time pointing at the other side, blaming one of the two scumbag gangs, point upwards towards the political leaders who have created this mess ON BOTH SIDES.

It has to start on a local level and grow.....but again, it may be too late.

But folks who spend their time quoting Dems or Reps to show their hypocrasy or blame them for the problems of the day are nothing more than pawns of THEIR game.

I'm a victim just like the rest of us, but at least I realize I'm being fucked!!

Thanks for your time,

Rich

Nah. He takes the Acela down to DC to have Grover Norquist cum on his tits and be back in time for dinner.

elevating the discourse once again. by the way, i love all your ideas for how to fix things

You can't stop terrorism. If they want to do it, they'll find a way. The reason a terrorist attack hasn't happened in America is not because of lack of ability IMO. It is oneupsmanship of trying to top 9-11. That's the only thing that makes sense in my mind, because bombing the subway in NYC would be super easy if desired. I'm sorry for being cold when I say that, but logic leans toward my side.
    Peace
    T.N.

This "oneupmanship" has never been their modus operandi in Europe and the Middle East.....and if the rumors I've read about "dirty bombs" and Nuclear Warheads are indeed the "oneupmanship" they are looking for then we're all fucked.

• See, 3rdstream, here's where you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.
    Accepting a contribution from a lobbyist in return for legislative favors is illegal. Democrats accepted ZERO DOLLARS from Abramoff. Democrats are in no position to sell favors, since they are not in power/cannot influence legislation. Abramoff is a hardcore conservative who has been operaterating a slush fund for republicans for the last five years.
    You swallowed the RNC talking point hook, line and sinker. This is a Republican scandal through and through. Show me otherwise. Please. Give me anything. Anything.
    And don't say "democrats took money too." That's ign'ant. Accepting a contribution from a constituent is not illegal.

ok, lets take reid for example, he has recieved about $60,000 in the last 4 years from indians, he is on the indian affairs committee, this money came from coushattas indians, hmmmmm, the coushattas were clinets of Abramoff, while Abramoff did not give the money directly to Reid what looks bad is the fact that Durbin has given the money away to charities but Reid...
    "feels that Abramoff was a Republican operative, and this is a Republican scandal," said Reid's spokesman, Jim Manley. "He's done nothing improper." "

• See, 3rdstream, here's where you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

ok, lets take reid for example, he has recieved about $60,000 in the last 4 years from indians, he is on the indian affairs committee, this money came from coushattas indians, hmmmmm, the coushattas were clinets of Abramoff, while Abramoff did not give the money directly to Reid what looks bad is the fact that Durbin has given the money away to charities but Reid...
    "feels that Abramoff was a Republican operative, and this is a Republican scandal," said Reid's spokesman, Jim Manley. "He's done nothing improper." "

The Indians were ALREADY giving money to democrats before Abramoff came into the picture and connived them into giving money to republicans.

peep this:

American Prospect hires private firm to analyze the Abramoff issue.

The analysis, which was commissioned by The American Prospect and completed on Jan. 25, was done by Dwight L. Morris and Associates, a for-profit firm specializing in campaign finance that has done research for many media outlets.

The analysis shows:
    # in total, the donations of Abramoff's tribal clients to Democrats dropped by nine percent after they hired him, while their donations to Republicans more than doubled, increasing by 135 percent after they signed him up;
    # five out of seven of Abramoff's tribal clients vastly favored Republican candidates over Democratic ones;
    # four of the seven began giving substantially more to Republicans than Democrats after he took them on;
    # Abramoff's clients gave well over twice as much to Republicans than Democrats, while tribes not affiliated with Abramoff gave well over twice as much to Democrats than the GOP -- exactly the reverse pattern.

"It's very hard to see the donations of Abramoff's clients as a bipartisan greasing of the wheels," Morris, the firm's founder and a former investigations editor at the Los Angeles Times, told The Prospect.
    "If you're going to make the case that this is a bipartisan scandal, you have to really stretch the imagination," says Morris. "Most individual tribes were predominantly Democratic givers through the last decade. Only Abramoff's clients switched dramatically from largely Democratic to overwhelmingly Republican donors, and that happened only after he got his hands on them."

http://www.prospect.org/web/page.ww?section=root&name=ViewWeb&articleId=10924

The best they can do is try to swiftboat Reid. Let's say Reid eats pickled Moapa babies. Then that makes what they did ok?