The state of the Union? (um, not good)

13»

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

i think its test ones "mettle" not mental, although, in your case, that may be more appropriate.

Fool, I'm from the UK, we have more words than you. It was a clever media reference you aren't familiar with.

Sorry kid. Bye.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

i think its test ones "mettle" not mental, although, in your case, that may be more appropriate.

Fool, I'm from the UK, we have more words than you. It was a clever media reference you aren't familiar with.

Sorry kid. Bye.

Clever media reference .... Mmmkayy.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Both Republicans and Democrats (Bush, Cheney, Gonzales and Rumsfeld especially) feel they are above the law.

you've said this twice as if they aren't. Seriously I think its time we face facts and realize that those in power are above the law and any idea we have of all man created equal cause we were told some old Americans believed it so is just tripe we are asked to swallow in order to believe we are the most democratic society we can be,

Wire tapping = illegal

Going to war for oil profit = illegal

holding United states citizens as prisoners of war without any actual charge = illegal

most of the other shit reported out of Guantanamo Bay = illegal.

leaking CIA operative names to the press = illegal

leaving the citizens of your country to suffer after a natural disaster = just plain fucked up.

All these things have happened and no one is serving jail time or sitting in a court room (save for "Scooter").

Government officials are above the law and refusing to elieve it leaves you blissfully (or sadly) ignorant

PS J**n this is not directed at you but rather at everyone who tries to reason that political officials are held to the same accountability as the rest of us.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Also, just to clear up a common misconception. Abramoff has contributed tons of money to Republican Campaigns - including money that he stole from his clients. However, he has not contributed ANY money to democrats. Only his clients have contributed money to democratic campaigns, but this is of course, entirely legal.

Get your facts right.

Here, this is from the Washington Post, not exactly a cato institute rag. I mean, really, what do you need? A notorized receipt?

Democrats Also Got Tribal Donations
    Abramoff Issue's Fallout May Extend Beyond the GOP

By Jeffrey H. Birnbaum and Derek Willis
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Friday, June 3, 2005; Page A01

Lobbyist Jack Abramoff and an associate famously collected $82 million in lobbying and public relations fees from six Indian tribes and devoted a lot of their time to trying to persuade Republican lawmakers to act on their clients' behalf.

But Abramoff didn't work just with Republicans. He oversaw a team of two dozen lobbyists at the law firm Greenberg Traurig that included many Democrats. Moreover, the campaign contributions that Abramoff directed from the tribes went to Democratic as well as Republican legislators.

Damn dude, learn how to read.

the campaign contributions that Abramoff directed from the tribes

THIS IS MONEY FROM HIS CLIENTS. As I already pointed out (with statistics), the Indian Tribes were already giving money to Democrats, much more so than to republicans before Abramoff got involved. It is no crime for constituents to donate money to campaigns. The whole scandal, which you seem to not-get, is that Abramoff was taking money that was meant for one purpose and funneling it to republicans.

Reading comprehension was never Sabadabafadbas strong suit.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    And how friggin stupid are these Muslims wanting someone like George W. to be a member of their "club"!!!

about as friggin stupid as the Christians?

I hear ya, but there is something extra special about inviting the person you refer to as The Great Satan to join your religion??

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    And how friggin stupid are these Muslims wanting someone like George W. to be a member of their "club"!!!

I hear ya, but there is something extra special about inviting the person you refer to as The Great Satan to join your religion??

isn't that what missionary work is all about?

isn't that what missionary work is all about?

I wouldn't know, but it seems like converting Satan would be pretty low on the list..... way below all the "lost sheep" and such.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    All religions teach that saving the unredeemable is of the highest aspirations.

See "Amazing Grace"

All religions teach that saving the unredeemable is of the highest aspirations.

See "Amazing Grace"

Seems to me though, especially in the Judeo Christian world, if you convert Satan, who or what are you going to use to scare people into joining your religion??? The Christians I know spend every day "fighting Satan and his temptations"??

• The Catholic Priests I know spend every day "fighting Satan and his prepubescent boys"??

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You live in the South.
    Southern/Midwestern Christianity (my perception)-fighting evil
    Northeastern/Western Christianity9my perception) -trying to be good and having others follow the lead.

You live in the South.
    Southern/Midwestern Christianity (my perception)-fighting evil
    Northeastern/Western Christianity9my perception) - trying to be good and having others follow the lead.

I don't disagree.....but the Catholic Church my wife grew up in on Long Island used the idea of Satan to scare the crap out of every little kid there.

My perception is that simply being a Human should mean trying to be good and having others follow the lead.

• i don't read a political thread unless motown posts in it.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Here, this is from the Washington Post, not exactly a cato institute rag. I mean, really, what do you need? A notorized receipt?
    Democrats Also Got Tribal Donations
    Abramoff Issue's Fallout May Extend Beyond the GOP

But Abramoff didn't work just with Republicans. He oversaw a team of two dozen lobbyists at the law firm Greenberg Traurig that included many Democrats. Moreover, the campaign contributions that Abramoff directed from the tribes went to Democratic as well as Republican legislators.

ok, lets take reid for example, he has recieved about $60,000 in the last 4 years from indians.... Durbin has given the money away to charities but Reid...
    "feels that Abramoff was a Republican operative, and this is a Republican scandal," said Reid's spokesman, Jim Manley. "He's done nothing improper." "

ok you & deepstank win, dems did not take money directly from abramoff, they took it through indians and others, if you dont have a problem with that than ok carry on

Reading you two follow the republican playbook is priceless. Avoid the substance of the issue, change the basis of the argument, bait and switch. This is someone whose washington connections date back to the national college republican leadership, whose "K street project" aimed to purge democratic lobbyists by7 only working with firms whos lobbyists were republicans. When it comes out that his corrupt lobbying activities may be connected to vast numbers of Republican, those connected quickly give back the money, dig up any Democrat connection, no matter how flimsy or minor in comparison with there own, and point the finger at the Democrats. You can criticize the democrats for being spineless, but they are closer on most foriegn and domestic policy. Regardless, this is not a case of bipartisan corruption, this is another time when the democrats have simply been politically outmatched. At this point, if the democrats don't give the money back, and the media picks up the republican story about Democrat connections, they risk loosing in the court of public opinion. If they give the money back, they admit guilt, and agree to an equal sentance the republicans subjected themselves too. Either way, people like 3rdstream and sabadabada are free to come on here and argue the relative guilt of demomcrats, as if simply taking dontations from indian tribes is a crime, as opposed to the actual crime, which was committed by Jack Abramoff, when he used his Republican connections to steal from Indian tribes willing to do or pay anything to protect gambling revenues, and capitalized on a republican party in complete control of 2 (3?)branches of our gov't and willing to trade political favors for money. Either of you two going to explain why if its been proven that abramoff influenced money away from democrats over the time he had his indian clients, and he hasn't been connected with any democrats besides people he worked with "on his team", then please spare me the six degrees of abramoff lists and the paragraphs from the washington post, and just tell me what Reid has done wrong. Show me a Democrat accused of wrongdoing in relation to Jack Abramoff, not one of his clients. Feel free to go back and check Newsmaxx or the latest GOP talking points.

You guys are lucky someone tracked down every picture of Abramoff and Bush together, they couldn't have erased every single one...