Take this shit from Okayplayer.com!!!

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

can you post the concious, soulful Trick Daddy tracks please?

[Trick Daddy]
    Here go one for, all these killings and all these conflicts in religion
    See the Muslims, Jews and Christians but know they are all God's children
    There's only, one him, plus ain't none of y'all confronting him
    So blind in our own minds we wouldn't even know God if 'we was in front him'
    And, I read your books know all your remixes to the Bible
    What about a verse for the thugs, a cure for drugs and survival
    Let's add some chapters nameed Martin, Malcolm and Farrakhan
    In all my history books, only one died was the Americans
    And, that's point of my, who's responsible for Vietnam
    And, hold on there's more, we had two World Wars
    And, how come the judges make more than the teachers is making
    When they the ones raising all the taxes and got us fighting for education
    Life is crazy ain't it

[Chorus]
    So many tears, through out the years
    Somebody tell me what's going on
    And so many lives, but only God knows
    About the pain deep inside
    It gets so hard, you got to keep your head up
    I know you're fed up, but stay strong
    Here's a message from coast to coast
    Cause when them thugs really need it the most, thug holiday

Guzzo's southern young black ignant stereotype doesn't hold up so well when you actually have listened to southern rap.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    What's real funny to me is that Faux & Noz are mentioning albums/artists that outside of their own private focus/region are completely irrelevant to a place like the Bay or New York. You really think outside of rap nerds and bloggers Goodie Mob is a force in their lives? Don't get me wrong I fucking love that first Goodie Mob album but at the most you'll maybe get a decent reaction out of "cell therapy" in a club and that's about it. To average rap listenr some rawkus shit and some "soutern classic" will recieve a response

please stop grafting faux or anybody elses arguments onto mine. nowhere on this thread did i make any claims on behalf of "what the streets or feeling" or what "changed the game." (other than asserting that there have in fact been rap albums of historical impact since straight outta compton) Even though I, yes, have a blog, I'm really not concerned with what's hot, just what I enjoy, even though those two categories intersect once in a while. Haz said he didn't expect southern rap albums to hold up in five years so I posted three southern rap albums that were ~10 years old that still sound better than most music being released today.

But Moisty, I will jump in here and say that all of the artists mentioned, while not multiplatinum themselves, had a significant impact on many of the artists who are household names today. Why do you think Puff signed ball & g? Why do you think 50 is interpolating soul food hooks? Why do you think every motherfucker in the industry was screaming free pimp c? I mean, Goodie popularized the phrase "dirty south," that alone resonates more with the contemporary rap landscape than anything in the entire rawkus catalog.

Additionally, if you played most "classic" rap, regardless of region to a contemporary listener it'd be nothing but crickets. Are you gonna start debating that Melle Mel and Kweli Kwel are on the same level on the strength of that?

• can you post the concious, soulful Trick Daddy tracks please?

[Trick Daddy]
    Life is crazy ain't it

[Chorus]

Where's that MODED graemlin?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    nowhere on this thread did i make any claims on behalf of "what the streets or feeling"

I don't remember anyone on SoulStrut other than Guzzo or Idiotproof types using this phrase ever really...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

[Trick Daddy]
    Life is crazy ain't it

[Chorus]

Guzzo's southern young black ignant stereotype doesn't hold up so well when you actually have listened to southern rap.

I'll admit those lyrics were interesting and thought provoking. Cashless, let me ask you though is this a typical example of the tracks I would find on most southern rap albums. Or is this more of an exception?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Rawkus helped Mos Def establish an acting career... Sayin.

[Trick Daddy]
    Life is crazy ain't it

[Chorus]

I'll admit those lyrics were interesting and thought provoking. Cashless, let me ask you though is this a typical example of the tracks I would find on most southern rap albums. Or is this more of an exception?

The question was not whether or not every song Trick has ever recorded satisfies Guzzo's standards of "consciousness"--the question was whether or not Trick is a one dimensional "caricature," and it's been answered pretty resoundingly.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

I'll admit those lyrics were interesting and though provoking. Cashless, let me ask you though is this a typical example of the tracks I would find on most southern rap albums. Or is this more of an exception?

trick daddy says "Thanks for the approval, Guzzo. Now stfu!!!"

I'll admit those lyrics were interesting and though provoking. Cashless, let me ask you though is this a typical example of the tracks I would find on most southern rap albums. Or is this more of an exception?

trick daddy says "Thanks for the approval, Guzzo. Now stfu!!!"

I think trick lives in my neighborhood. I keep seeing dude @ the mall down the street every few months.

And for guzzo. More from Miami's finest.

See when I pray I pray for everybody
    I pray that God bless America
    That way these terrorist can't tear us up
    But I'm sick and tired of a lot of other things
    And the bottom line is
    We gotta set examples for the kids
    We first ought to teach em love
    Cause these days us niggaz got
    Too much hatred installed in us
    The radio and TV they just can't get enough
    This great big old world
    I guess it still just ain't big enough
    But y'all listen cuz I'm holding on playa
    The Lord ain't brought me that far
    Just to drop me off here
    Y'all keep arguing about religions
    While y'all referring to y'all old books of the bible
    Y'all all out to miss the last bus to heaven
    See everybody gonna wait
    Aint gonna do be no fighting, no pushing, no cussing
    Nope not at the gate
    Cause everybody gonna meet there
    Niggaz you ain't even like in your first life
    They gonna walk by you and speak
    So

from "I cry"

• please stop grafting faux or anybody elses arguments onto mine. nowhere on this thread did i make any claims on behalf of "what the streets or feeling" or what "changed the game." (other than asserting that there have in fact been rap albums of historical impact since straight outta compton) Even though I, yes, have a blog, I'm really not concerned with what's hot, just what I enjoy, even though those two categories intersect once in a while.

I mean, Goodie popularized the phrase "dirty south," that alone resonates more with the contemporary rap landscape than anything in the entire rawkus catalog.

Feeling a little derision w/r/t comments I made being thrown my way.

Apparently, artists are only worthwhile if they made a lasting impression on the hiphop landscape. At least that is an argument that is posited whenever some of these "fringe/indie" rap acts are mentioned. Apparently "historical impact" is also quite *objective* I dunno if historically important rap albums = (insert poster here)'s TOP 50 or if it is those that, for lack of a better phrasology "changed the game", i.e, an album that changed how hiphop was listened to, changed how hiphop was sold, changed how hiphop was marketed, or changed how major label's went about signing new acts. I think that's a valid question to ask so the discussion can proceed.

Personally, I'd very much like to know what this anonymous "streets" are feeling. When I was in LV, D**** was ribbin' me about Southern rap....kinda blew away my perception that Southern ish was bein felt nationwide.

And goddammit, yes, I would like to know what faux_rillz likes, cos all I ever see are posts where he's telling people (often in a hilarious fasion) how lame he thinks the schitt they like is. I didn't even know he was on the southern rap tip til the illuminating post earlier in this thread.

Dog, I thought you were the expert on southern rap. You went to the mall and peeped some at the Sam Goody listening station and peeped some videos on BET, right? Isn't that enough?

• Who is Cam'ron?

1. Curious from afar.
    2. Owning a few records from that place.
    3. Having visited the place.
    4. Having lived in the place.
    5. Intimately knowing insiders from that place.
    6. Obtaining an understanding of that place.
    7. Being identified as of that place.

I confused as to what the fuck this has to do with music.

But on the trick daddy thing, I don't really care what his lyrics say. I like his uptempo songs. well, except for that one time that I went to korean karaoke and ordered "in da wind" and in less than 30 seconds the word "nigga" went across the screen like a million times! I was like "OH SHIT!" fuckers rap so fast I didn't really know what they were saying.... oh well.

• [ Apparently historical impact is also quite *objective* :

Dog, I thought you were the expert on southern rap. You went to the mall and peeped some at the Sam Goody listening station and peeped some videos on BET, right? Isn't that enough?

I wanna know whether the "peeping" that Guzzo has done at the listening station involves actually listening through headphones or just looking at the covers.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this thread fucking sucks
    i love rap
    e-40 is playing here in hawaii next month so all of you can suck my dick

please stop grafting faux or anybody elses arguments onto mine. nowhere on this thread did i make any claims on behalf of "what the streets or feeling" or what "changed the game." (other than asserting that there have in fact been rap albums of historical impact since straight outta compton) Even though I, yes, have a blog, I'm really not concerned with what's hot, just what I enjoy, even though those two categories intersect once in a while.

I mean, Goodie popularized the phrase "dirty south," that alone resonates more with the contemporary rap landscape than anything in the entire rawkus catalog.

Feeling a little derision w/r/t comments I made being thrown my way.

Apparently, artists are only worthwhile if they made a lasting impression on the hiphop landscape. At least that is an argument that is posited whenever some of these "fringe/indie" rap acts are mentioned. Apparently "historical impact" is also quite *objective* I dunno if historically important rap albums = (insert poster here)'s TOP 50 or if it is those that, for lack of a better phrasology "changed the game", i.e, an album that changed how hiphop was listened to, changed how hiphop was sold, changed how hiphop was marketed, or changed how major label's went about signing new acts. I think that's a valid question to ask so the discussion can proceed.

Personally, I'd very much like to know what this anonymous "streets" are feeling. When I was in LV, D**** was ribbin' me about Southern rap....kinda blew away my perception that Southern ish was bein felt nationwide.

And goddammit, yes, I would like to know what faux_rillz likes, cos all I ever see are posts where he's telling people (often in a hilarious fasion) how lame he thinks the schitt they like is. I didn't even know he was on the southern rap tip til the illuminating post earlier in this thread.

You're blurring a couple of different arguments together and I don't think anybody in this thread has really invoked "the streets".

That aside, I am not on "the southern rap tip"--I like rap from all over.

However, I do object to people that either denigrate southern rap (which Guzzo has been doing throughout this thread) or seek to minimize it (which I took your earlier post equating giants like 'Face and Triple Six with footnotes like "MF, Anticon, Rawkus, Def Jux and some ol' PB shit" to be an example of, whether or not you intended it that way).

If you're that interested in what I do like, I think I was pretty active in the "Top Albums of '05" thread from a month or two back, which should still be around.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I wanna know whether the "peeping" that Guzzo has done at the listening station involves actually listening through headphones or just looking at the covers.

c'mon, y'all know I worked at a record store for 5+ years. I did my fair share of listening to Lil Jon, Lil flip, Ludacris, 8ball & MJG, UGK, etc.

overall I didn't feel there was that much of a concious factor in the albums I heard. I guess you guys feel differently.

So just to conclude this little debate we've decided that the southern rappers you have championed do not seem to push stereotypes of young black males as pimps, drug dealers, objectifiers of women or anything like that. The videos I see don't back this up with a visual. They simply drop concious and soulful lyrics.

and little brother is still crap

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    do you listen to music or do you skim through it??

i gave three great examples of "conscious" southern rap earlier in the thread , but you don't hear me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

[Trick Daddy]
    Life is crazy ain't it

[Chorus]

A couple songs or a few verses & a guy become concious & soulful?

I'm not hatting - trick daddy is dope, but I can't pretend he's a philosopher/teacher/activist in the grand tradition of rappers like KRS ONE or Chuck D.

who cares what they are saying. put that bpm back up towards 100+ bitches.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

i gave three great examples of "conscious" southern rap earlier in the thread , but you don't hear me.

I hear you, but y'all act as if music from that region does not talk and glamourize the things I brought up too.

I already said that you guys proved to me that some of these rappers are including a thought provoking track or two on their albums, but no one has addressed whether those tracks described are the exception or the rule (except for faux who gave more of "I don't need to answer that question" type resonse).

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this is all so mastubatory.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    does this thread mean it's friday?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    c'mon, y'all know I worked at a record store for 5+ years. I did my fair share of listening to Lil Jon, Lil flip, Ludacris, 8ball & MJG, UGK, etc.

overall I didn't feel there was that much of a concious factor in the albums I heard. I guess you guys feel differently.

So just to conclude this little debate we've decided that the southern rappers you have championed do not seem to push stereotypes of young black males as pimps, drug dealers, objectifiers of women or anything like that. The videos I see don't back this up with a visual. They simply drop concious and soulful lyrics.

and little brother is still crap
    i know you're just reaching with that shit, but i'll break it down.

in the case of the artists faux_rillz listed, to me, they are all well-rounded artists who have songs about all kinds of shit. you could argue shit about their videos or whatever, but videos are not a good representation of any artist because videos are out there to sell records; not to portray an artist honestly. i like all the artists listed because they all have something i can listen to at any time, no matter what mood i am.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    this is all so mastubatory.

shhhh, my work day is almost over. I need just 30 more minutes of this

Its going in circles.

pick from this list and then be done:

1. All southern rap in the whole wide world is the awesomest. I love it!

2. Some of it is cool, some of it sucks.

3. I Hate all southern rap, no matter where in the world it came from.

4. I like the rappings from the southern france. has anybody seen my red bicycle?

from now on, you only get to post with the numbers. the arguments will be much easier to skim through that way.

I'll start.

2!

I hear you, but y'all act as if music from that region does not talk and glamourize the things I brought up too.

I already said that you guys proved to me that some of these rappers are including a thought provoking track or two on their albums, but no one has addressed whether those tracks described are the exception or the rule (except for faux who gave more of "I don't need to answer that question" type resonse).

This is 2006 not 1986...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Truthfully, the last Trick Daddy album is SO conscious its almost heavy-handed

I can take kids singing a chorus maybe once an album tops, and this record blew that ratio out of the water

What do you want to bitch about now???