Take this shit from Okayplayer.com!!!

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I mean, has there really been a "historically important" hiphop album released since "Straight Outta Compton"?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

The number of hiphop albums w/ "historical importance", even w/in just this genre, can be counted on two hands bro.

While I disagree with this assessment entirely, I do want some clarification.

Can you compare and contrast that with your statement that Mf Doom has laid his "Footprint" in just two albums.

Would those two albums be in your ten hip hop lps with historical importance?

Cashless, you can pretend to hate me all you want, but deep down you actually love me.

LOOK AT THIS.

YOU LOVE ME.

GIVE ME A HUG.

• The number of hiphop albums w/ "historical importance", even w/in just this genre, can be counted on two hands bro.

While I disagree with this assessment entirely, I do want some clarification.

Can you compare and contrast that with your statement that Mf Doom has laid his "Footprint" in just two albums.

Would those two albums be in your ten hip hop lps with historical importance?

I guess this seemingly objective category of "historical importance" isn't so. I would imagine for something to be "historically important"...it kinda had to change the game. To me, historically important doesn't mean "widely agreed upon as great" or even "personal favorite"

I definitely wouldn't put "Mr. Hood" on any list of historically important hiphop albums, no. I would put "Op: Doomsday" in my top five or so of favorites, but nah, it wasn't groundbreaking by any means, just IMHO well-executed.

I dunno enough about the landmark releases of the early 80s to speak too much on that era...(I'm guessing Grandmaster Flash)?

RunDMC's 1st
    "Raising Hell" would be HI based on the crossover success (perhaps in tandem w/ the "Licensed to Ill")
    Criminal Minded
    Paid in Full
    Nation of Millions
    Straight Outta Compton

after that....what albums really changed the game? Illmatic is a goddamn classic but it's like a on its on island.....nobody has really laid down a succint and cohesive burner like that since...at least on a major label level. I would say Outkast had to have done some HI lps...but which one? Did "Ready to Die" change the game?

Shit, I gotta go grab some lunch. I'm not as far off as y'all think. I don't think some of these "sub-genres" should be dismissed so easily, or relegated to "footnote" status. Perhaps a special section w/in a larger chapter?

Cashless, you can pretend to hate me all you want, but deep down you actually love me.

LOOK AT THIS.

YOU LOVE ME.

GIVE ME A HUG.

nah man, I don't hate you. You're one of the funnier people on here. Just had to block your posts in this thread outta my head.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    how does a man so connected with stereotypical caricatures the streets take this news?

I sense a future soulstrut classic

I wasn't going to address this, because I am really trying to avoid interacting with you--you're like something unpleasant and sticky that I wouldn't even want to step on--but I really can't let it go.

the truth is often unpleasant

You little dudes really need to move past this accusation because it's an embarassing reflection of your own racism.

trying to turn the tables is a pretty weak defense as is this:

I don't listen to Eightball & MJG, UGK, Trick Daddy or T.I. because I have an insatiable hunger for "stereotypical characters"--I listen to those artists because, among other things, they are responsible for some of the most soulful, thoughtful and, yes, "conscious" hip-hop ever recorded.

concious and thoughtful? c'mon man I watch the videos I hear the tracks on the radios I peep the albums at listening stations in record stores if your idea of conciousness is women half naked dancing arond men spitting out bravado and taking the time to address the issue of prison by yelling "Free Pimp C" than no wonder you can't get with hip-hop that addresses issues beyond prideful incarceration, loose women, earning money through drug sales and other young black stereotypes.

Dude you like the music and thats cool I wouldn't be calling you out on it if it was just that, but its your bashing of those that rap about things outside the above topics that makes you come across the way you do. Someone like Common or Mos Def although musically not appealing to you, actually do have lyrics that many consider "soulful and conscious" so when you bash them the way you do it raises questions.

"I liked it better when they shucked and jived"

I don't want to have a 5 pager on this facet of argument cause it will be pointless and neither one of us will bend. Feel free to cite examples of concious rap from these artists but if you do so please try to contrast it with every young black stereotype they bring up as well.

I don't mean to interupt, but your new location is fantastical, adam.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Some add-ons:

Dr. Dre - The Chronic changed the game by cementing the gangsta rap genre into what we still know it as today.

Nas - Illmatic changed the game by making the all-star production crew the norm.

Juvenile - 400 Degreez, or better yet a collection of assorted Cash Money releases changed the game by ressurecting electro sounds back into the mainstream rap fold. Others may want to credit Timbaland instead of Mannie Fresh for this, but you get the point.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I don't mean to interupt, but your new location is fantastical, adam.

thanks. I think its the best collection of words put together in this forum EVAR

concious and thoughtful? c'mon man I watch the videos I hear the tracks on the radios I peep the albums at listening stations in record stores if your idea of conciousness is women half naked dancing arond men spitting out bravado and taking the time to address the issue of prison by yelling "Free Pimp C" than no wonder you can't get with hip-hop that addresses issues beyond prideful incarceration, loose women, earning money through drug sales and other young black stereotypes.try to contrast it with every young black stereotype they bring up as well.

How dare you fucking even talk about stereotypes with a post like this? This whole post is full of your own stereotypical images of the south and non-backpacker (read white acceptable) hip hop in general.

Thanks. I borrowed a coworker's magazine and looked at the hairstyles in it, and I think I've found the one for me. I had to take an eraser to the picture to make his forehead more like mine (I'm serious). After erasing a lot of his hair it still looks like it might work.

keep your fingers crossed. I'll keep you updated.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

concious and thoughtful? c'mon man I watch the videos I hear the tracks on the radios I peep the albums at listening stations in record stores if your idea of conciousness is women half naked dancing arond men spitting out bravado and taking the time to address the issue of prison by yelling "Free Pimp C" than no wonder you can't get with hip-hop that addresses issues beyond prideful incarceration, loose women, earning money through drug sales and other young black stereotypes.try to contrast it with every young black stereotype they bring up as well.

How dare you fucking even talk about stereotypes with a post like this? This whole post is full of your own stereotypical images of the south and non-backpacker (read white acceptable) hip hop in general.

really, am I off? perhaps you'd like to show me a video from this region that may shut me up?
    I'll be sitting here waiting

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    This whole post is full of your own stereotypical images of the south and non-backpacker (read white acceptable) hip hop in general.

really, am I off? perhaps you'd like to show me a video that may shut me up?
    your blind date appearance?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    This whole post is full of your own stereotypical images of the south and non-backpacker (read white acceptable) hip hop in general.

really, am I off? perhaps you'd like to show me a video that may shut me up?

your blind date appearance?
    that only makes me want to get crunk.

Besides I'm westcoast

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

I think Guzzo's point proves what has been an issue wijth Rap since the start. What is deemed popular ends up being the posterchild for that style. ie. the west is all gangster rap, NYC is all that real schitt, the south is all ignant, Rawkus is all nerds (well the latter may be true haha). I mean how many people outside of rap fans even know what PB is/was? How many know chamillionare? How many know Z-ro? How many know Diamond D? There are all sorts of aspects to every style that cover all the bases, the problem is its only one portion of a particular style that gets all or most of the attention...

I think both sides of the argument are guilty of either over-simplifying or over-exaggerating the contribution of a particular genre.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

concious and thoughtful? c'mon man I watch the videos I hear the tracks on the radios I peep the albums at listening stations in record stores if your idea of conciousness is women half naked dancing arond men spitting out bravado and taking the time to address the issue of prison by yelling "Free Pimp C" than no wonder you can't get with hip-hop that addresses issues beyond prideful incarceration, loose women, earning money through drug sales and other young black stereotypes.

Dude you like the music and thats cool I wouldn't be calling you out on it if it was just that, but its your bashing of those that rap about things outside the above topics that makes you come across the way you do. Someone like Common or Mos Def although musically not appealing to you, actually do have lyrics that many consider "soulful and conscious" so when you bash them the way you do it raises questions.

I don't want to have a 5 pager on this facet of argument cause it will be pointless and neither one of us will bend. Feel free to cite examples of concious rap from these artists but if you do so please try to contrast it with every young black stereotype they bring up as well.

It's a matter of being contrived (Mos Def, Common, Kanye, Little Brother, etc.) versus actually having lived through enough actual injustice to be able speak from a genuine perspective (Big Mike, Pimp C, T.I., etc.).

Not that you have to have gone to jail to be conscious...but I personally prefer artists who are first-hand conscious as a segment of their more all-embracing repertoire than those who posture themselves as always-conscious from their seat in an ivory tower.

really, am I off? perhaps you'd like to show me a video from this region that may shut me up?

So your post was strictly about videos? O' RLY?

I hear the tracks on the radios I peep the albums at listening stations in record stores

You can SEE videos with your EARS?

hot schitt schun...

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

It's a matter of being contrived (Mos Def, Common, Kanye, Little Brother, etc.) versus actually having lived through enough actual injustice to be able speak from a genuine perspective (Big Mike, Pimp C, T.I., etc.).

Not that you have to have gone to jail to be conscious...but I personally prefer artists who are first-hand conscious as a segment of their more all-embracing repertoire than those who posture themselves as always-conscious from their seat in an ivory tower.

Your point is very skewed. umm just becuase they don't live through it doesn't mean they didn't live with it and can't write about it. Most writer's don't necessarily live through something but observe it. If you are part of a targeted minority no matter what you are going to live through or with it. most posters here wouldn't know though since they are not a part of that targeted minority.

Your point is very skewed. umm just becuase they don't live through it doesn't mean they didn't live with it and can't write about it. Most writer's don't necessarily live through something but observe it. If you are part of a targeted minority no matter what you are going to live through or with it. most posters here wouldn't know though since they are not a part of that targeted minority.

I really HATE to defend Archaic, and I'm sure he can do it bettr than I, but he did say that it was his personal preference, not some rule that all artists had to live by.

• OK. My sole contribution to this thread (which is beyond the fucking pale):

One well-known conscious rapper grew up with money, private school, good family, home, etc. I knew him and worked for his dad in college.

Would you say this rapper has the same "license" or ability to talk about street shit, just because he is a "targeted minority"? I say no. I say it's actually kind of lame when i hear his records talking about street shit that he, to paraphrase Jay Z, witnessed from his folks' pad.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I think Guzzo's point proves what has been an issue with Rap since the start. What is deemed popular ends up being the posterchild for that style. ie. the west is all gangster rap, NYC is all that real schitt, the south is all ignant, Rawkus is all nerds (well the latter may be true haha). I mean how many people outside of rap fans even know what PB is/was? How many know chamillionare? How many know Z-ro? How many know Diamond D? There are all sorts of aspects to every style that cover all the bases, the problem is its only one portion of a particular style that gets all or most of the attention...

I think both sides of the argument are guilty of either over-simplifying or over-exaggerating the contribution of a particular genre.

You may be right, perhaps I am over simplifying. But to make it clear I am not grouping the entire south together with one unified mindstate.
    Just in case people think I'm trying to say the south is one big ignorant bitches and drugs party I'm not. I'm just saying that a lot of the music that gets championed by certain people on soulstrut falls under these lines and the stuff they go on record as hating deals with topics outside of bitches and drugs.

If its like Archaic said and black rappers rapping about topics outside of the above are seen as "contrived" then I say we got a pretty big problem.

I think Guzzo's point proves what has been an issue with Rap since the start. What is deemed popular ends up being the posterchild for that style. ie. the west is all gangster rap, NYC is all that real schitt, the south is all ignant, Rawkus is all nerds (well the latter may be true haha). I mean how many people outside of rap fans even know what PB is/was? How many know chamillionare? How many know Z-ro? How many know Diamond D? There are all sorts of aspects to every style that cover all the bases, the problem is its only one portion of a particular style that gets all or most of the attention...

You may be right, perhaps I am over simplifying. But to make it clear I am not grouping the entire south together with one unified mindstate.
    Just in case people think I'm trying to say the south is one big ignorant bitches and drugs party I'm not. I'm just saying that a lot of the music that gets championed by certain people on soulstrut falls under these lines and the stuff they go on record as hating deals with topics outside of bitches and drugs.

If its like Archaic said and black rappers rapping about topics outside of the above are seen as "contrived" then I say we got a pretty big problem.

straight 2faced.

I wanted to get Thug Life tattooed on my belly, but the dude was charging 50 bucks per letter. I get paid, but not that paid, so I had to drop a letter.

Yeah, my belly says Hug Life. So what?

• But to make it clear I am not grouping the entire south together with one unified mindstate.

Just in case people think I'm trying to say the south is one big ignorant bitches and drugs party I'm not.

You are seriously contradicting yourself, Guzzo.

Faux argues that the rappers he likes make music beyond the stereotype that YOU[/b] have offered above, and you retort with "show me some videos that disprove my own fucked up (and inherently racist *gasp*) stereotype of southern rappers" nonsense.

Delicious.

Just like they were with def jux/anticon/scientifical rap, etc... Staying power is the true measure of musical quality, IMO. I'll be interested to see if any of these records will be fucked with in 5 years. I have a feeling this shit will get clowned like Rawkus one day.

hi!

Funny, I was bumping both of these lp's in the past week. Goodie Mob was yesterday's driving music. I might get clowned, but Soul Food is top ten for me. That tape spent many hours auto-reversing in my walkman in 11th grade.

oh yeah...yes, Miami is the south. Remember the metro includes much more than South Beach.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    But to make it clear I am not grouping the entire south together with one unified mindstate.

Just in case people think I'm trying to say the south is one big ignorant bitches and drugs party I'm not.

Faux argues that the rappers he likes make music beyond the stereotype that YOU[/b] have offered above, and you retort with "show me some videos that disprove my own fucked up (and inherently racist *gasp*) stereotype of southern rappers" nonsense.

Delicious.

I am not talking about the south, thats why I made those 2 comments you quoted. Hell Little brother are from NC and thats the south so I can't include them there. This is not an Adam hates the south thing I'm writing, this is a "why does Faux_Rills champion southern music that only seems to deal with these topics and have these video visuals?"

if it helps take away the idea that I am bashing the south/ contradicting myself we can make the music about any area and the results seem to be the same. Cam'ron brags about selling weight and he is from NYC. Faux seems to love his stuff too. Mos Def is from NYC and speaks on how drugs seemed to have messed up the community. Now why is the guy who saying the community has been ruined by drugs bashed while the guy who promotes drug sales championed?

Cam'ron brags about selling weight and he is from NYC. Faux seems to love his stuff too. Mos Def is from NYC and speaks on how drugs seemed to have messed up the community. Now why is the guy who saying the community has been ruined by drugs bashed while the guy who promotes drug sales championed?

because the guy who is saying the community has been ruined by drugs hasn't done anything worth a shit since that "beef" freestyle on chapelle show.

But to make it clear I am not grouping the entire south together with one unified mindstate.

Delicious.

I am not talking about the south, thats why I made those 2 comments you quoted. Hell Little brother are from NC and thats the south so I can't include them there. This is not an Adam hates the south thing I'm writing, this is a "why does Faux_Rills champion southern music that only seems to deal with these topics and have these video visuals?"

if it helps take away the idea that I am bashing the south/ contradicting myself we can make the music about any area and the results seem to be the same. Cam'ron brags about selling weight and he is from NYC. Faux seems to love his stuff too. Mos Def is from NYC and speaks on how drugs seemed to have messed up the community. Now why is the guy who saying the community has been ruined by drugs bashed while the guy who promotes drug sales championed?

contradicting yourself then pushing your on someone else...

3faced

the many faces of Guzzo.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

contradicting yourself then pushing your on someone else...

3faced

the many faces of Guzzo.

I've tried ignoring you cause I'm not down with internet crushes but your pretty set on making yourself heard. Why don't you elaborate on your little jabs there and explain yourself.

• Now why is the guy who saying the community has been ruined by drugs bashed while the guy who promotes drug sales championed?

Maybe because the music the former makes is less interesting overall than the music made by the latter. Maybe because when the latter makes music that is not about "promoting drug sales," it sounds more sincere and compelling and less preechy and contrived than that of the former.