Runnin' they mouth and talkin' down
    but you don't know nuthin' bout my town
    either hold it down or move around

• Outta towners be comin' around
    Runnin' they mouth and talkin' down
    but you don't know nuthin' bout my town
    either hold it down or move around

Is this directed at me?

I might know more about yr town than you think.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'll throw this out there too...

people who are passionate about the south expect everybody else to care about the south too, and when they don't, there results an asshurtation.

Just like they were with def jux/anticon/scientifical rap, etc... Staying power is the true measure of musical quality, IMO. I'll be interested to see if any of these records will be fucked with in 5 years. I have a feeling this shit will get clowned like Rawkus one day.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    not at all. more about the post itself, phonte, people who hate on the south because of their own stereotypes, and people who can't leave stuff that they don't like alone.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

people who are passionate about the south expect everybody else to care about the south too, and when they don't, there results an asshurtation.

Just like they were with def jux/anticon/scientifical rap, etc... Staying power is the true measure of musical quality, IMO. I'll be interested to see if any of these records will be fucked with in 5 years. I have a feeling this shit will get clowned like Rawkus one day.

allow me to retort.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

hi!

• not at all. more about the post itself, phonte, people who hate on the south because of their own stereotypes, and people who can't leave stuff that they don't like alone.

My bad. I'm all about reppin for the South and for harmony in general.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    1. Lil Wayne isn't really known for speaking all that well.
    2. People who want to even entertain the idea that Lil Wayne is merely a by-product of Jay-Z make me want to spit.
    3. Plenty of folks hate on Houston, New Orleans, and Memphis much more than they hate on Atlanta just for the sole fact that the living, breathing exception to their blanket hate -> Outkast is from Atlanta.
    4. Widespread backlash and disdain against Southern rap is what Southern rap has recently overcome...not something that hasn't existed before that's just about to bare its ugly head.

In short, Phonte makes no sense.

whoa. Me and Archaic agree on every point here... Does this mean that you too will burn in hell?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

allow me to retort.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    pretty clever, Haz.

what you fail to realize.

The South is a region.

Rawkus was a record label.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

As far as I know, all the people that were ever enthusiastic about superscientifical rap still are.

And if this record lacked staying power I think it probably would have become apparent at some point over the last thirteen years:

You're wearing an asshat if you think southern hip hop is in some way some trendy bullshit ala Rawkus.

BTW, Rawkus/Scientifical madness/Def Jux/mf doom/LB/Anticon/etc combined are all but a footnote in history.

Since 98 (the year I would say the south took it to the nation) the south has made some of the most commercially viable, interesting and game changing music in hip hop period.

this thread is suprisingly tame.

so how about this:

1. If I don't like southern rap, its because I'm racist.

2. If Stacks doesn't like southern rap, its because he is old.

3. If Phill doesn't like southern rap, its because he is regionalist.

I've been pondering this for a while and then watching soulstrut to see if it holds up, and not suprisingly, everything has fit right in.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    pretty clever, Haz.

what you fail to realize.

The South is a region.

Rawkus was a record label.

Naw, I'm just talking about the fickel tastes of music fans. People are into something & then there's a crazy backlash against it. It gets pulled thought the gutter & then dropped. I can see this happening with the south. I think some quality artists are going to get the bum's rush.

so how about this:

I've been pondering this for a while and then watching soulstrut to see if it holds up, and not suprisingly, everything has fit right in.

How do you:

A. Turn Dizzy Bull off

or

B. Ignore/block/ban posts from any particular strutter

• BTW, Rawkus/Scientifical madness/Def Jux/mf doom/LB/Anticon/etc combined are all but a footnote in history.

Since 98 (the year I would say the south took it to the nation) the south has made some of the most commercially viable, interesting and game changing music in hip hop period.

Completely agree w/ your second point.

Do you really want to dismiss such a wide swath of (yes) hiphop history with so few keystrokes? MF merely a footnote? C'mon mang, his footprints are cemented based on "Mr. Hood" and "Op: Doomsday" alone.

My copies of the DF catalog, Devin, GBs, Scarface, Triple Six seem to sit okay on the shelf next to MF, Anticon, Rawkus, Def Jux and some ol' PB shit.

Everyone seems so protective over their little slice of the hiphop world as they see it. Try the buffet.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

BTW, Rawkus/Scientifical madness/Def Jux/mf doom/LB/Anticon/etc combined are all but a footnote in history.

Do you really want to dismiss such a wide swath of (yes) hiphop history with so few keystrokes? MF merely a footnote? C'mon mang, his footprints are cemented based on "Mr. Hood" and "Op: Doomsday" alone.

You're confusing what you view as artistic merit (a very subjective quality) with historical importance (a more objective trait).

How about you dudes go ahead and like that stuff without trying to exaggerate its importance within the larger picture of rap music.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Naw, I'm just talking about the fickel tastes of music fans. People are into something & then there's a crazy backlash against it. It gets pulled thought the gutter & then dropped. I can see this happening with the south. I think some quality artists are going to get the bum's rush.

that's cool. i'm addressing the staying power of southern music. the difference between me and fickle music fans is everything....

and that goes for most of the southern cats i know. which is why i linked that cd. some of the music on that particular cd is almost 20 years old. and it holds up pretty well with the folks i know.

the cd you linked ... ehh not so much

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

But how comes so many southern classics are out of print ?

(I'm not trying to be smart, it's a real question)

My copies of the DF catalog, Devin, GBs, Scarface, Triple Six seem to sit okay on the shelf next to MF, Anticon, Rawkus, Def Jux and some ol' PB shit.

Everyone seems so protective over their little slice of the hiphop world as they see it. Try the buffet.

I didn't dismiss them so much as I put them in perspective. What have those artists done in relation to the rest of the entire hip hop industry? Not much.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

1. From what i've gathered you don't like southern rap because you don't like any rap.

2. Stacks doesn't like southern rap because his standards for what a makes good rap (rhyming "lyrical" with "miracle") differ from todays standards. Which is fine. If he wants to run naked in his private mind garden while cranking cella dwellas, then more power to him. What gets people mad around here is when he (and others) make glaringly dismissive and downright biased and ignorant comments about a style of music (t)he(y) appears to not know very much about.

3. Phill doesn't like southern rap for similar reasons (change in generational standards), but he's generally cool with me because i've seen him go out and check some of the artists we talk about and really the most negative thing he's had to say about that shit is that he's not feeling it and he prefers the real schitt. and i think he's actually enjoyed some of the unreal schitt as well.

• this thread is suprisingly tame.

so how about this:

How do you:

A. Turn Dizzy Bull off

or

You can never ignore or turn off Dizzy Bull.

Dizzy Bull, however, can turn you on.

Feel him.

But how comes so many southern classics are out of print ?

(I'm not trying to be smart, it's a real question)

Southern small labels aren't connected to the digerati. They're more inclined to just care about what's hot in the actual streets right now (while they can make money out of it).

I remember how much teethpulling Jdeez had to do trying to get Wreckshop to reprint Tops Drop.

• this thread is suprisingly tame.

so how about this:

How do you:

A. Turn Dizzy Bull off

or

You could

A. Accept that someone has different tastes than you

or

B. Stop posting here.

I vote for

C. Put some ointment on those ass bruises.

so how about this:

How do you:

A. Turn Dizzy Bull off

or

You could

A. Accept that someone has different tastes than you

or

B. Stop posting here.

I vote for

C. Put some ointment on those ass bruises.

Definitely not ass hurt here. I just ain't feeling people that don't know what they're talking about.

• Definitely not ass hurt here. I just ain't feeling people that don't know what they're talking about.

That's a given. Fuck 'em.

• BTW, Rawkus/Scientifical madness/Def Jux/mf doom/LB/Anticon/etc combined are all but a footnote in history.

You're confusing what you view as artistic merit (a very subjective quality) with historical importance (a more objective trait).

How about you dudes go ahead and like that stuff without trying to exaggerate its importance within the larger picture of rap music.

"that stuff" lol. You can refrain from listing me w/ unknown "dudes".....I didn't spend 5 pages trumpeting anything's merit.

The number of hiphop albums w/ "historical importance", even w/in just this genre, can be counted on two hands bro.

I didn't dismiss them so much as I put them in perspective. What have those artists done in relation to the rest of the entire hip hop industry? Not much.

Well, what are you using as a measuring stick for what these artists have done? Sound scan units? Accolades accrued? Percentage of their label's sales for which they accounted?

I mean, has there really been a "historically important" hiphop album released since "Straight Outta Compton"?

5:8 odds that "Ready to Die" is mentioned.

2:1 odds on "The Blueprint"

Maaaaaaaybe "Aquemini" deserves to be recognized as "historically important".

Definitely not ass hurt here. I just ain't feeling people that don't know what they're talking about.

At least I admit it.

The only way I really now how to judge music is whether or not it sounds good to me personally or not. I don't really care where it comes from. Anything else is just me running my mouth. I would agree that the best records right now are coming from the south, as are the worst.

Personally, I gave little brother's first album a listen and it bored the crap out of me. I don't have anything against them personally. And I could care less where they actually come from.