WEEKEND FINDS

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lots of things, but i am LOVING my Gangsters of Love lp a lot. no relation.

• Some dudes just didn't come and are local. Maybe they don't heart records as much as I do.

I find that some folks prefer talking about records on the internet to actually looking for (and finding) them...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

for a

I don't get it.
    Now I get it. It's a rackord!!

• Good week

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Holy shit, nice ones Douglas. That Jon Tabakin goes nutty on ebay, how is it musically? And Gary Higgins, so jealous over here.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Good week

Day-um - not bad!

• Good week

that red hash isnt a double, is it?????

• Not bad for $25 eh

Can anyone give me a price czech on the OG Modern Lovers?

Jon Tabakin is for Brian Wilson / Randy Newman fans. I don't personally get it and this is getting sold or traded. I actually got two copies.

Gary Higgins disk is warped as fuck but the cover and insert are solid & still worth a buck. Anyone want to deal with this either giving me a disk or taking this cover?

Kaplan Brothers was disappointing.

Manna is that Love Song track from the AP mix... It's sealed and I'm gonna deal this one too.

Jeff Liberman will more than pay for the parking ticket I got while finding it. Silly guitar shredding from hell.

KUKL was ok but not on the level of the Sugarcubes LP. Cat Power is good. Ribero is excellent. Emmanuelle Parrenin LP is the real shit. Everyone needs this record in their life.

• Many mo. Yay record show! No strutters, you all are batches.
    I was there at the show. You didnt see me because I was hiding behind plants and ducking under tables. When you weren't looking I would snatch and grab all the grails.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Good week

What did you have to give for those Tabackin's??

Oh yeah....you're welcome.

Rich

• I would love to hear that Helene Smith record...

• I would love to hear that Helene Smith record...

No prob., I'll bring it by the store the next time I come through. By the way, have you heard that Larry Davis? Amazing...

• thanks J

Yeah, I know that Larry Davis, pretty rugged stuff no doubt...nice finds!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Not bad for $25 eh

Jon Tabakin is for Brian Wilson / Randy Newman fans. I don't personally get it and this is getting sold or traded. I actually got two copies.

Gary Higgins disk is warped as fuck but the cover and insert are solid & still worth a buck. Anyone want to deal with this either giving me a disk or taking this cover?

Manna is that Love Song track from the AP mix... It's sealed and I'm gonna deal this one too.

Jeff Liberman will more than pay for the parking ticket I got while finding it. Silly guitar shredding from hell.

KUKL was ok but not on the level of the Sugarcubes LP. Cat Power is good. Ribero is excellent. Emmanuelle Parrenin LP is the real shit. Everyone needs this record in their life.

That Modern Lovers is sketchy in origin. I have always considered it a bootleg even though Jonathan supposedly penned some of the liner notes. I have never seen it on vinyl, though, I have the CD. It is a collection of demos Kim Fowley produced of the group in 1972, but the date of the collection I have is 1981. So it's technically an OG boot, but I have never seen the material on any other boot of the Modrn Lovers.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not bad for $25 eh

That Modern Lovers is sketchy in origin. I have always considered it a bootleg even though Jonathan supposedly penned some of the liner notes. I have never seen it on vinyl, though, I have the CD. It is a collection of demos Kim Fowley produced of the group in 1972, but the date of the collection I have is 1981. So it's technically an OG boot, but I have never seen the material on any other boot of the Modrn Lovers.

yeah, it's boot that has since been booted.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    lps:

jimmy ruffin - sings top ten
    sam cooke - tribute to the lady (keen)
    jimmy mcgriff - lets stay together
    ike and tina - outta season
    3 sounds - here we come
    eddie lockjaw davis & johnny griffin - first set
    ltl johnny taylor - everybody knows about my good thing
    mc shy d - comin correct in 88
    bahamadia - kollage
    das efx - hold it down

12s:

clifford curry - body shop (no artist mention on label)
    isaac hayes - i aint never
    eastside connection - youre so right for me
    jodeci - lately
    cypress hill - insane in the membrane
    juanito fx - dont stop the mix/cold in effect
    2nd II none - if you want it
    odb - brooklyn zoo
    diamond - the hiatus
    swan lake - the dream/in the name of love
    sir mix a lot - posse on broadway
    mary j blige - you remind me
    beta test - samplers d-lite/star trax
    just ice - going way back/lyric licking
    grandmaster flash - flash to the beat
    spyder d - placin the beat
    captial tax - 2 timin
    rodney o & joe cooley - djs and mcs/supercuts
    davy dmx - dmx will rock
    blackalicious - melodica
    fat joe - shit is real
    mary j blige - dont want to do anything
    akinyele/akafella - put it in your mouth/in the world

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

Some finds from NC and a couple from AZ (yellow tags)

Thanks to Marco for the 45's he sold me in the bar.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i know its past the weekend but this thread still feels warm...

shook hands with a garage stuffed with trash and treasure this weekend, found the
    following between countless piles of 80's rock poop, no less than 12 boxes of bad
    xmas schlock, and more simon and garfunkel greatest hits than i could count. no
    sayerraers though! dude must have been holding back!

these records all have blue in their covers.

miles is vg- but plays super nice. scary scorpsbannedraer.

'the other barretto' is pretty cool in spots. some tuff jazz oldies.

finally found dizzy hiding after a 4 year look. the black jazz's are rediculous.

top row is ithaca college jazz-rock band doing what i can only describe as library
    stuff.

milkwood is pre-Cars Cars guys in '72!

wildflowers is douglas/casablanca label NYC loft jazz in '76 jams, with the
    expected suspects.

that joe simon is so sweet

so is the little anthony

first OG al green back up train ive ever seen!

oh shit.

oh shit again! The Black panther mag was stuffed inside the headless heroes, which
    hurt the back cover but not the lp. its so damn cool, every page is fantastic.

• damn.

karlophone, you're

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The Black panther mag was stuffed inside the headless heroes

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    damn.

karlophone, you're

The Headless Heroes under Byrd's Eye View is pretty much
    even WITHOUT the Black Panther mag in it.
    Nice work.

• hey is that david simmons any good ? my local spot has a copy been wondering about it.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Good is a relative term.
    Moderish slightly uptempo funky disco-ish? Yes
    Very funky and all that? No.

Good is a relative term.
    Moderish slightly uptempo funky disco-ish? Yes
    Very funky and all that? No.

upon listening, agreed. Some records are, you know, well produced, they just sound quality even if style-wise theyre a little 'hmmm'. this is a good example. id say any mod soul head would want this one, but funk/sample/braek people would turn it down. To me, the guy turned in a nice album, and for low $ its worth it for sure.

holy crap look at all those graemlins!

• 'the other barretto' is pretty cool in spots. some tuff jazz oldies.

How strange - I found both of those Pacific Jazz comps just last month - definite goodness there for sure.

Is that Donald Byrd the U.S. Transition press or the French re-issue?

P.S. My name is Peter. I sold Kevin (soufriere1) his 'sick collection' last week and he mentioned this site. Pleased to 'meet' everyone.

Is that Donald Byrd the U.S. Transition press or the French re-issue?

P.S. My name is Peter. I sold Kevin (soufriere1) his 'sick collection' last week and he mentioned this site. Pleased to 'meet' everyone.

Hi Peter, nice to meet you. its the Transition one, which is why i had to poker face when i pulled it. that little b+w booklet goes with it. one of the labels on the record fell off, i guess the old glue died?? but the record is a solid vg.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

finally found dizzy hiding after a 4 year look. the black jazz's are rediculous.

What is the Bobby Jameson like?
    I recently picked up his LP under just the name "Jameson," produced by
    Curt Boettcher on Verve from '67, and was really feelin' it, posted the
    whole LP in the old Real Headz, etc. Curious if his other stuff is any
    good, because the Verve LP walked a weird fine line between being
    something I totally loved but easily could have absolutely hated.

Nice score, btw.

• I wish I could get some weekday finds, but I just got my wisdom teeth pulled today. I'm just resting letting the vicodin set in while watching IFC on tv and my laptop next to me. I should be out of commission for a little bit. Good luck to everyone else this week.

• Don't you hatt huge cut outs like that? Super weak. I tend to find 70s Prestige titles with like 1/4 of the cover lopped off