kool the gang's ST

2»

Comments

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I'll have to dig up the CD cuz I'm pretty sure it mentions this- I don't think that song was originally on the LP. It was a single they tacked on later, I think

I got your back, hommie. According to the CD liner notes, "Let the Music" was not on the first pressing, but was added to the album after the single hit the charts.

For the record, my OG doesn't have any sticker mentioning "Let the Music", but the track is listed on the back and is included on the record.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    I'll have to dig up the CD cuz I'm pretty sure it mentions this- I don't think that song was originally on the LP. It was a single they tacked on later, I think

I got your back, hommie. According to the CD liner notes, "Let the Music" was not on the first pressing, but was added to the album after the single hit the charts.

For the record, my OG doesn't have any sticker mentioning "Let the Music", but the track is listed on the back and is included on the record.

So now the question is what year did LTMTYM actually hit the charts. I knew it couldnt have been part of the truely OG S/T because it just sounds a little too diffrent from the rest of the LP.

so far, from copies ive actually seen and what people posted, there are

ST with no LTMTYM on the cover or the record (true OG)
    ST with LTMTYM on the record but not on the cover***
    ST with LTMTYM on the record but not on the cover BUT has a sticker on the front cover (not on shrink)***
    ST with no LTMTYM on the LP but its on the cover (how did this happen?)
    ST with both LTMTYM on the cover and the actual LP

***copies ive seen in person

and both copies where in or around the Tallahassee area (very broad answer, craigslist style).

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    yeah, but you guys are on the east coast. I'm sure every copy that made it to CA has found it's way to Anthony or some other LA mega dealer.

I found my copy at the Ashby flea market in Berkeley for $1 from a guy that use to own a store and was selling his stuff slowly but surely at his friends stall a couple years ago. That was about 5 or 6 years ago.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    So now the question is what year did LTMTYM actually hit the charts.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "let the music take your mind" does not equal "absolute killer of a cut" ?

What I'm saying is people sweat the version that it's not on, right?

it's just like those beatles collectors collecting beatles records based on where the record was pressed. never thought that level of nerdy record collecting would hit the funk genre.

It must be a pressing issue, since this thread started at 9:31 this morning. Here it is 11:28 PM central time and this thread is STILL near the top of the Soul Strut chart. Even before I weighed in with a couple of posts.

• my friend pulled one out of Stereo Jacks in Boston for $30

Do you have a n*me? Just curious cause my friend pulled one out of Stereo Jacks in Boston for $30, too - and I'm wondering if it's the same person (and we have mutual friends) or Jack just has an endless supply of this record...

Alas, I think at this point there is a 90 percent chance the next copy
    that comes into Jack's goes onto eBay without hesitation

The dude I know that pulled one for $30 goes by Seth.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Guess it's just their going rate, then

• does anyone else think this record is a tad bit over priced ? all the songs on there are dope but you can get most of them on 45 for about 5 bucks or less.

yeah, but, it does seem 100 times harder to turn up than any other Kool lp. I've yet to even see a copy outside of eBay.

I've seen it a few times at TSL for $125, my friend pulled one out of Stereo Jacks in Boston for $30 was this like 3 years ago? i remember jack had one on the wall for $30 w/maybe a water damaged cover? funny..