kool the gang's ST

reskresk 391 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
does the version without "let the music take your mind" exist? damn, i just passed two diffrent copies this weekend. One with the sticker on the cover saying includes "let the music take your mind", second one didnt say it on the cover, but had it on the vinyl. Then i checked out popsike for diffrences in prices (though we all know how on point they are), and seems like all the copies they (at least the ones where the seller included the track listing) had all included "let the music take your mind".shit i feel bad as shit passing up that second copy, especially for the price (under 50). I think i almost dropped a bill on this one over the summer, but the dealer didnt want to let it go, but now that i think about it, i dont know if that copy included LTMTYM on the vinyl or not.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    shit i feel bad as shit passing up that second copy, especially for the price (under 50).

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    does the version without "let the music take your mind" exist? damn, i just passed two diffrent copies this weekend. One with the sticker on the cover saying includes "let the music take your mind", second one didnt say it on the cover, but had it on the vinyl.

Then i checked out popsike for diffrences in prices (though we all know how on point they are), and seems like all the copies they (at least the ones where the seller included the track listing) had all included "let the music take your mind".

shit i feel bad as shit passing up that second copy, especially for the price (under 50). I think i almost dropped a bill on this one over the summer, but the dealer didnt want to let it go, but now that i think about it, i dont know if that copy included LTMTYM on the vinyl or not.

dude, WTF? those "includes the song blah blah" stickers are for promoting a specific single. not because they werent orginally on the lp. have you never seen these before?

• dude, WTF? those "includes the song blah blah" stickers are for promoting a specific single. not because they werent orginally on the lp. have you never seen these before?

yeah, they are not that uncommon. But was it an actual physical sticker, or was it part of the album artwork, cause I've seen both (I have a copy of Wild and Peaceful that has the latter ones, so I knew it was definitely a later pressing after some of the songs blew up)

• reskresk 391 Posts
    does the version without "let the music take your mind" exist? damn, i just passed two diffrent copies this weekend. One with the sticker on the cover saying includes "let the music take your mind", second one didnt say it on the cover, but had it on the vinyl.
    Then i checked out popsike for diffrences in prices (though we all know how on point they are), and seems like all the copies they (at least the ones where the seller included the track listing) had all included "let the music take your mind".

shit i feel bad as shit passing up that second copy, especially for the price (under 50). I think i almost dropped a bill on this one over the summer, but the dealer didnt want to let it go, but now that i think about it, i dont know if that copy included LTMTYM on the vinyl or not.
    dude, WTF? those "includes the song blah blah" stickers are for promoting a specific single. not because they werent orginally on the lp. have you never seen these before?

this song supposedly came out after ST was released. From what im told sometime after Live at PJ's and Live at Sex Machine. Story i was told was they rerealeased ST after PJ's and Sex Machine with LTMTYM to sell it since ST was relatively unkown when it came out. Hense the version with LTMTYM not being the true OG but a slightly later press (early 70s).

I passed the one for under 50 since i have the gold cover best of to hold me down until i actually find the true 1st press. But didnt realize people are pretty much considering ST w/LTMTYM to pretty much be OG

• reskresk 391 Posts

yeah, they are not that uncommon. But was it an actual physical sticker, or was it part of the album artwork, cause I've seen both (I have a copy of Wild and Peaceful that has the latter ones, so I knew it was definitely a later pressing after some of the songs blew up)

the one i seen had an actual sticker (looking aged an everything), my guess would be its a 70s press.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I have never heard of a 1st lp 70s reprint

I'll have to dig up the CD cuz I'm pretty sure it mentions this- I don't think that song was originally on the LP. It was a single they tacked on later, I think

But the bottom line is if you see this for 'under 50' you need to GRAB IT

• chasechase 767 Posts
    location of under $50 reprint please...

wait... you didnt see them in Tally-ho did you????

• chrischris 287 Posts
    the very first pressing of that lp does not have "let the music take your mind" on it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'll have to dig up the CD cuz I'm pretty sure it mentions this- I don't think that song was originally on the LP. It was a single they tacked on later, I think

The distinction between the two pressings is some of the most bizarre collector hairsplitting I've ever heard of. I could understand if the first issue had an absolute killer of a cut that was left off the second pressing, but this is just dumb.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

The distinction between the two pressings is some of the most bizarre collector hairsplitting I've ever heard of. I could understand if the first issue had an absolute killer of a cut that was left off the second pressing, but this is just dumb.

Yeah, it's one of the better tracks on this TERD!

• chrischris 287 Posts
    "let the music take your mind" does not equal "absolute killer of a cut" ?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What I'm saying is people sweat the version that it's not on, right?

• "let the music take your mind" does not equal "absolute killer of a cut" ?

it's just like those beatles collectors collecting beatles records based on where the record was pressed. never thought that level of nerdy record collecting would hit the funk genre.

• I do have a copy of the Kool & The Gang S/T LP with a "Let the music take you mind" sticker on the shrink wrap, but the actual song in not on the vinyl record. I thought it was odd that Delite records would advertise a hit song on the cover and not include that song on the LP. A collector in Ohio sold me that copy about 3 years ago along with a copy of Kool & the Gang's The best of (Gold Cover) that does contain the song so i was still covered.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

haha! yeah, I've always thought it strange that the "more collectable" version has one less track. That said, I don't think there is a big price difference, is there?

• does anyone else think this record is a tad bit over priced ? all the songs on there are dope but you can get most of them on 45 for about 5 bucks or less.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    does anyone else think this record is a tad bit over priced ? all the songs on there are dope but you can get most of them on 45 for about 5 bucks or less.

Or the gold cover Best Of for $20.

DJ Ferrari

does anyone else think this record is a tad bit over priced ? all the songs on there are dope but you can get most of them on 45 for about 5 bucks or less.

yeah, but, it does seem 100 times harder to turn up than any other Kool lp. I've yet to even see a copy outside of eBay.

• does anyone else think this record is a tad bit over priced ? all the songs on there are dope but you can get most of them on 45 for about 5 bucks or less.

yeah, but, it does seem 100 times harder to turn up than any other Kool lp. I've yet to even see a copy outside of eBay.

I've seen it a few times at TSL for $125, my friend pulled one out of Stereo Jacks in Boston for $30

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I do have a copy of the Kool & The Gang S/T LP with a "Let the music take you mind" sticker on the shrink wrap, but the actual song in not on the vinyl record. I thought it was odd that Delite records would advertise a hit song on the cover and not include that song on the LP. A collector in Ohio sold me that copy about 3 years ago along with a copy of Kool & the Gang's The best of (Gold Cover) that does contain the song so i was still covered.

Sounds like the vinyl could possibly be older than the cover on that S/T, unless you bought it sealed.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    my friend pulled one out of Stereo Jacks in Boston for $30

Do you have a n*me? Just curious cause my friend pulled one out of Stereo Jacks in Boston for $30, too - and I'm wondering if it's the same person (and we have mutual friends) or Jack just has an endless supply of this record...

Alas, I think at this point there is a 90 percent chance the next copy
    that comes into Jack's goes onto eBay without hesitation

yeah, but you guys are on the east coast. I'm sure every copy that made it to CA has found it's way to Anthony or some other LA mega dealer.

I've seen it a few times at TSL for $125, my friend pulled one out of Stereo Jacks in Boston for $30

and smalltimehustle for $33

I think there just aren't a lot of copies around, it had some hits but not on the scale of the later vocal singles... its also great front to back, and unfortunately there may be some 'deep funk' collectors who are more interested in this than the other K&G releases

• a dealer at the Utrecht show had both copies and he priced the copy with 'let the music take your mind' higher that the one without..I asked him about it because the copy i have does nott have that track. According to him they were both OG's but the one with is more raer..now i'm confused.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

i have s/t (bought a beat, but playable copy for 3 bucks years and years ago) and the gold record, and i gotta say, the gold record is a better record... also, it does amaze me this goes for so much, as i see it around more often than some of their other early lp's, but maybe that's just me...

this should replace the cti graemlin

• yeah, but you guys are on the east coast. I'm sure every copy that made it to CA has found it's way to Anthony or some other LA mega dealer.

I've found three copies of S/T in DC. Of course that's over a 12 year period. No extras sorry.