Canadians how are you feeling today?

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
You are now a red state!

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    You are now a red state!

Was this a case of the Liberals letting/making the pendulum swing too far to the left and the general public being alienated by it???

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    You are now a red state!

Was this a case of the Liberals letting/making the pendulum swing too far to the left and the general public being alienated by it???

No. Nothing... Canadians in general are liberal and slightly to the left off things. More has to do with the liberal government getting caught in way to many dirty things and are being put in the penalty box for 5 mins.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    You are now a red state!

i.e "can missbassie come out to play?"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    You are now a red state!

Nope. You should write a quick how-to on asking leading questions though - LOL.

and the Liberals are red, not the Tories.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    You are now a red state!

Do you mean we're republicans! lol!

You are now a red state!

i don't know what this means!

and yes - i can come out and play. tag? crazy eights? truth or dare? street hockey?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    You are now a red state!

and yes - i can come out and play. tag? crazy eights? truth or dare? street hockey?

Tag sounds like fun right now...I wish it was summer outside, too...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    You are now a red state!

I was simply making explicit thirdstreams invitation to join in political jousting...

You are now a red state!

I was simply making explicit thirdstreams invitation to join in political jousting...

ah...

• You are now a red state!

no joust or pong or gauntlet, just wondering how canadians on the board are feeling today, when bush won last time i had "friends" saying they had thoughts of throwing themselves under buses and shit, wondering how my neighbors to the north are feelin today

the red state thing was just a joke

i actually feel pretty ok. thank you for asking us.

this is my lazy cut and paste from the other thread:

Well...it could have been much worse.

I'm feeling not as bad as I thought I would. I really don???t want this Children of the Corn dead-eyed robot representing us around the world, but at home, he's on a short leash and that's a good thing. All in all, change is best for the system. Martin fucked it up and he should be held accountable, and he is, so it shows the machine works. It means a new Liberal leader - and that's good, too. It's going to be everyone having to work together - another positive thing.

We'll see what comes out of the woodwork now that the muzzled Conservatives will be let loose in the House.

The NDP won in my riding! Hurrah!

Gotta say though, watching pasty grandpa after pasty grandpa giving commentary was depressing as fuck. Not one Aboriginal leader could have been invited? They could not find one token brown person to represent? Lame.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Yeah, this wasn't so much a vote for the conservatives as it was a vote against the liberals. If there'd been another party called 'We Have the Same Policies as the Liberals But We're Not Them' they would have won a solid majority... if the conservatives hadn't done the whole unite the right they probably could've come back in this election as well... so while it sucks that we have to say Prime Minister Harper (ugh) the fact is that they can't pass anything too unpopular without getting some of the other parties to agree to it, so I think they'll be kept at bay a little. And the NDP won in my riding, too!

You are now a red state!

Thanks(I Think?!).......

If there'd been another party called 'We Have the Same Policies as the Liberals But We're Not Them' they would have won a solid majority... [/b]

I believe this is exactly what happened with our last Presidential election here too...alot of folks in "middle America" that were not particularly fond of George W. voted for him because they were alienated by the fringe lunatics on the left[/b] ala Howard Dean and the Hollyweird crowd.....otherwise Kerry would be the whipping boy du jour.

Here in Texas we have a very unique Governor's race shaping up with the self proclaimed Texas Jewboy, Kinky Friedman getting alot of attention.....I am hoping for a Jesse Ventura-like upset that will cause the career politicians to take a long look in the mirror and realize they no longer represent the average citizen...the two biggest planks in his platform are Education and Illegal Immigration.

He was quoated last week as saying "Calling an Illegal Alien "Undocumented" is like saying a Bank Robbery is just an "Undocumented Withdrawal"........at least the race will be entertaining.

i love crazy 8s!

i love crazy 8s!

I was just playing this over the weekend. I have a question. If the other player has one card left and you know what suit they have can you keep picking until you get and 8 or another card that will change the suit? Is that a legit move? This nearly instigated a mini riot between my fianc?? and myself this weekend.

You are now a red state!

i love crazy 8s!

rummy and bloody knuckles are good too.

my parents and their friends used to play rummy all the time for $$ but no one would take the pot home, it would get nice and fat and then they would all go out and party.

ahhh...the 70's (and 80's)

i love crazy 8s!

I was just playing this over the weekend. I have a question. If the other player has one card left and you know what suit they have can you keep picking until you get and 8 or another card that will change the suit? Is that a legit move? This nearly instigated a mini riot between my fianc?? and myself this weekend.

no way jose. if you cant go or you choose to not go, you may draw 1 card.

you can always catch them with the UNO though

i love crazy 8s!

no way jose. if you cant go or you choose to not go, you may draw 1 card.

you can always catch them with the UNO though

Aw man she really is always right.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    You are now a red state!

Thanks(I Think?!).......

If there'd been another party called 'We Have the Same Policies as the Liberals But We're Not Them' they would have won a solid majority... [/b]

I believe this is exactly what happened with our last Presidential election here too...alot of folks in "middle America" that were not particularly fond of George W. voted for him because they were alienated by the fringe lunatics on the left[/b] ala Howard Dean and the Hollyweird crowd.....otherwise Kerry would be the whipping boy du jour.

Well, in Canada voters weren't alienated by any moves to the left (in fact, in this latest election, the NDP, a party further left than the liberals, picked up big gains, almost doubling their votes) rather the liberals had been caught in too many scandals - they were seen as corrupt.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    best card game EVER.

best card game EVER.

Damn...Mille Borne....haven't played that in YEARS!!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Here in Texas we have a very unique Governor's race shaping up with the self proclaimed Texas Jewboy, Kinky Friedman getting alot of attention.....

Holy shit, Kinky is seriously running? Does he sing "They Ain't Makin' Jews like Jesus Anymore" on the campaign trail?

Here in Texas we have a very unique Governor's race shaping up with the self proclaimed Texas Jewboy, Kinky Friedman getting alot of attention.....

Holy shit, Kinky is seriously running? Does he sing "They Ain't Makin' Jews like Jesus Anymore" on the campaign trail?

Indeed he does!!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    You are now a red state!

He's referring to the US. Republicans are red, democrats (liberals) are blue.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Indeed he does!!

Wow, he'd have my vote based on that alone.

You are now a red state!

i got that. but i don't live in the US and don't use it as the measuring stick to all things.

he was joking, as was i - we're straight.

• I feel like gun toting hicks have the abilility to fuck up North America as a whole.

Not one riding was Conservative in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto. I think that speaks volumes about the closed mindedness of hicks, or openmindedness of city folks... although I am sure it is way more complicated than that (maybe all the gay people and visable minorities just move to citys so that they don't have to deal with the politics of small town closed minded white people with a strong right wing adjenda).

Overall, Bad for Canada, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    You are now a red state!

i got that. but i don't live in the US and don't use it as the measuring stick to all things.

he was joking, as was i - we're straight.

I just the assumed the entire world held a US-centric POV. My bad.

I feel like gun toting hicks have the abilility to fuck up North America as a whole.

Not one riding was Conservative in Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto. I think that speaks volumes about the closed mindedness of hicks, or openmindedness of city folks... although I am sure it is way more complicated than that (maybe all the gay people and visable minorities just move to citys so that they don't have to deal with the politics of small town closed minded white people with a strong right wing adjenda).

Overall, Bad for Canada, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.

yes, it is more complicated. it's dangerous and counter-productive to cut it off at "they're closed-minded and we're open-minded"...it's just not that simple. rural interests and realities are very different from those of cities'.

i don't know about Vancouver and Montreal, but the strongest showing of East Indian, West Indian and Asian candidates were in Toronto suburbs (Brampton, Mississauga, Scarborough, etc.)...the immigrant dream is not to stay in the city and hang with FOBs and dykes. did you see all the Sikhs repping the Conservatives?

lotsa brown folks are down with the Conservative platform, and if they weren't so hung up on other people's sex lives, there would probably be a lot more queers in the Conservative camp, too.

• hey canadians. i just found out today there's a town down here called la canada. except its pronounce with a lil squiggly over that first 'n' sounds like pinata except canada.

there's also a town called Leisure World which is adjacent to THA JO. awesome, right?