Essenital digging spots Manhattan?

teddyrossoteddyrosso 268 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I got A1, sound library, academy records and footlights covered. But are there other essential spots that have to be visited?

Comments

• I got A1, sound library, academy records and footlights covered. But are there other essential spots that have to be visited?
    '

try Good records, even tho the owner gives you the when you walk in...

I keed, I keed Mr. Paycheck. Johnny is good people and 10,000 posts deep on this board, or I should say bored (at work).

$??

• also for reggae Deadly Dragon down in chinatown is a must. Be careful, that store is Dangerous (as in "Dangerouuuuusssssssss..." from Conroy Smith. Get the version that's on the Joyride riddim).

$??

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    when on 3rd street
    give some love to jammyland
    for reggae wax

• Are there any jazz specialsts shops to be found?

• I don't really know if Footlight is around anymore... I think they were closing a while back and blowing out inventory. Cosign TSL, A-1, Academy, and Deadly Dragon. I really don't know if that Jazz spot in Chelsea is still around but you should try to track it down, upstairs private space with serious jazz records. anyone?

• besides those shops mentioned (hit good up first) try to time our visit with one of the monthly record shows. you'll find some things and maybe meet someone who specializes in what you like.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    They just announced that the 42nd st. flea will be a building by next year. (teardrop)

check out brooklyn academy too. they come up.

• They just announced that the 42nd st. flea will be a building by next year. (teardrop)

what?!?!?!? where did you hear about this?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    daily news.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    what was the big record store on broadway and 53rd. Colony? and there used to be a good record store in the timesquare subway transfer between the broadway local and westside lines.

• what was the big record store on broadway and 53rd. Colony? and there used to be a good record store in the timesquare subway transfer between the broadway local and westside lines.

Colony no longer exists.

I used to buy crappy $1 records at the times square spot. Oh to know then what I know now....

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Colony had everything but it was pricey. the subway spot always had great latin stuff and once and a while a nice jazz reissue or obscure piece. I also think I bought everysingle Buddy Greco LP ever printed from that place.

• daily news.

Today or yesterday? Sorry meng, not that I don't belive you, I just want to read it for myself, and I can't find any thing about it online.

• beatnuts once said ....i know alot spots that i aint putting you up on....

ROCKET SCIENTIST RELOCATED TO ST.MARKS PL.,HAVE FUN WITH THOSE SNOBS

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    daily news.

Today or yesterday? Sorry meng, not that I don't belive you, I just want to read it for myself, and I can't find any thing about it online.

I heard a few months ago that it was the 26th St one that was being moved up and over to 42nd St west side.

Academy in Wburg is always worth a visit. Rest of the north BK spots are now pretty dug up.

• daily news.

I heard a few months ago that it was the 26th St one that was being moved up and over to 42nd St west side.

If it's the Hells Kitchen market yes - I recall it being above 42nd though. 26th street which at one point was four lots is down to one. I have no faith that they'll even preserve the one lot left, only a matter of time.

I had gone to Hells Kitchen around the time it moved there and there weren't *any* records. No empty jackets, skated commons, nothing. It was sad. Don't know if that's changed though, I heard Cesar started setting up there?

• Come out to :

infinityrecords.net

Only 35 min from Penn. it's in L.I (I know, I know) , But we have lots of joints coming in always.

Mel

P.s - PM me if you need help w/ directions

• If it's the Hells Kitchen market yes - I recall it being above 42nd though. 26th street which at one point was four lots is down to one. I have no faith that they'll even preserve the one lot left, only a matter of time.

I had gone to Hells Kitchen around the time it moved there and there weren't *any* records. No empty jackets, skated commons, nothing. It was sad. Don't know if that's changed though, I heard Cesar started setting up there?

I've been going to Chelsea on the regular and haven't seen Cesar once, in fact I haven't seen him since WFMU, but I only go on Saturdays, maybe he's setting up on Sundays? In regards to other dealrers, one time one guy showed up with about 20 crates and I pulled some stuff. The other times its been random people with one crate full of Streisand and Abba. Same thing with 26 St, although this weekend two dealers showed up, one with hip-hop 12's and gospel records, and one which had Tamla and Curtom commons.
    Maybe its a winter thing and things will pick up come spring...

• If it's the Hells Kitchen market yes - I recall it being above 42nd though. 26th street which at one point was four lots is down to one. I have no faith that they'll even preserve the one lot left, only a matter of time.

I've been going to Chelsea on the regular and haven't seen Cesar once

You mean Hells Kitchen? Chelsea = 26th street

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    But are there other essential spots that have to be visited?

BigSpliff's mom's house!

• But are there other essential spots that have to be visited?

BigSpliff's mom's house!

I got this at the house of an old crackhead

S***** I hope that's not your mom

But are there other essential spots that have to be visited?

BigSpliff's mom's house!

haha, I went to mom's looking for an african Manu Dibango LP I remembered from childhood but it turns out I was mixing up the Soul and Madness and a Django record that she had as well. Somewhat disappointed to find them instead I must admit. But hey the Don Lee made up for it

• Academy in Wburg is always worth a visit. Rest of the north BK spots are now pretty dug up.

and there is nothing in crown heights, so stay out of here.

I've been going to Chelsea on the regular and haven't seen Cesar once

You mean Hells Kitchen? Chelsea = 26th street

Yes, Hells Kitchen sorry. I refer to 26 as the Flatiron, and call Hell's Kitchen Chelsea.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    "upstairs private space with serious jazz records"

I pulled some ill shit out this spot back in the day, believe it.

• Two questions:

1. Is footlight closed?

2. Johnny Paycheck: do you have record shop, if so do you have an address?

• So the essential list:

The Sound Library

214 Avenue A

New York, NY 10009

(212) 598-9302

A 1 Records

439 E 6th St

New York, NY 10009

(212) 473-2870

Good Records

179 E 3rd St

New York, NY 10009

(212) 529-2081

Footlight Records

113 E 12th St

New York, NY 10003

(212) 533-1572

Academy Records & Cds

12 W 18th St

New York, NY 10011

(212) 242-3000

OR

Academy Lps

77 E 10th St

New York, NY 10003

(212) 780-9166

Colony Record & Radio Centr Incorporated

1619 Broadway

New York, NY 10019

(212) 265-2050

Hells Kitchen Fle Market

110 W 19th St

New York, NY 10011

(212) 242-1217

Infinity Records

546 W 165th St Apt 5

New York, NY 10032

(212) 923-1494

Anything I might have forgotten?

I'm gonna start feeling like that sting song, landing tomorrow ..

Go to A-1 last.

Find out where Williamsburg is.

• The Hell's Kitchen flea is on 39th St. and 9th Ave.

I'm pretty sure Footlight is closed, but you might as well check it out if you go to the 10th St. Academy.

• nickjnickj 53 Posts
    Academy Records & Cds
    12 W 18th St
    New York, NY 10011
    (212) 242-3000

Unless you're after classical, skip this one. This Academy is classical lp's and used cd's (good jazz selection for a used cd place, though). The 10th st and Williamsburg ones are all records.