Selected Soustrutters I Wanna Know Ya Top 10 LP's

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

I really want to hear both of these. Do you still have lps or cds of Dark Shadows?
    Darius looks like a cross between Donovan & Danzig

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    ten I wouldn't want to live without:

John Coltrane- Giant Steps

Black Sabbath- S/T

The Supremes- Where Did Our Love Go

The Congos- Heart of the Congos

AC/DC- Back in Black

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds

Eric Dolphy- Out to Lunch

Funkadelic- S/T

Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced?

Can- Future Days

OH I GUESS I WASN'T SPECIAL ENOUGH TO BE ON THE LIST...YOU GET MY ANSWERS ANYWAY.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I did this with Supergood in the realheadz section (RIP) and I thought it came out pretty cool. So I'm calling you Batches out:

Hcrink
    JayPizzle
    Drewn
    99Problems
    O-Dub
    Asprin
    Rockadelic
    The_Mack
    3rdstream
    TripleDouble
    AI
    Faux_rills
    Miss Bassie

Is this another Special Friends thing?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I did this with Supergood in the realheadz section (RIP) and I thought it came out pretty cool. So I'm calling you Batches out:

Hcrink
    JayPizzle
    Drewn
    99Problems
    O-Dub
    Asprin
    Rockadelic
    The_Mack
    3rdstream
    TripleDouble
    AI
    Faux_rills
    Miss Bassie

Damn, you ain't know!?!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I really want to hear both of these. Do you still have lps or cds of Dark Shadows?

Dark Shadows is, IMO, simply incredible. Several long, meandering songs with excellent melodies, and druggy lyrics that in a way sound almost proto-punk (though the lead singer's voice may take some getting used to), as well as a few shorter tracks all of which seem to fit nicely into the album's "conceptual arc" (Rillz, 2005). It was the first album I submitted for the RHKTD forum, but I don't think too many people Downloaded it.

Darius is pretty good, but not exactly what I was expecting. I'd heard selected tracks from his second (unreleased) album "Hello Stranger" including the title track (which is just about as good a cover of the Barbara Lewis song as I've ever heard, and surprisingly soulful) before hearing his first release, and I was a bit disappointed. I still have it on my harddrive though and will definitely be giving it a second and third listen.

• I did this with Supergood in the realheadz section (RIP) and I thought it came out pretty cool. So I'm calling you Batches out:

Hcrink
    JayPizzle
    Drewn
    99Problems
    O-Dub
    Asprin
    Rockadelic
    The_Mack
    3rdstream
    TripleDouble
    AI
    Faux_rills
    Miss Bassie

Really....whatup???

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Curtis Mayfield - S/T
    Deniece Williams - This Is Nicey
    Dorothy Ashby - The Rubaiyat of...
    Eddie Kendricks - People, Hold On...
    The Whatnauts - Indroducing...
    J.R. Bailey - Just Me 'N You
    Mary Lou Williams - Mary Lou's Mass
    Leon Thomas - Spirits Known and Unknown
    Pharoah Sanders - Thembi
    Minnie Ripperton - Come To My Garden

I heartily endorse this top 10.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Dark Shadows is, IMO, simply incredible. Several long, meandering songs with excellent melodies, and druggy lyrics that in a way sound almost proto-punk (though the lead singer's voice may take some getting used to), as well as a few shorter tracks all of which seem to fit nicely into the album's "conceptual arc" (Rillz, 2005). It was the first album I submitted for the RHKTD forum, but I don't think too many people Downloaded it.

thanks for the info. Must have spaced on that post or I would have downloaded it. If you have a link or it's not a hastle to upload I'd be stoked. I can upload something in exchange if there's anything you'd like to hear. You've heard the Hunger, right?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

thanks for the info. Must have spaced on that post or I would have downloaded it. If you have a link or it's not a hastle to upload I'd be stoked. I can upload something in exchange if there's anything you'd like to hear. You've heard the Hunger, right?

Taken to the PMs

• It is interesting to me to notice that my top 10 records are all things I got into in the first 5 years I began really getting seriously into music or so. I've heard insanely great things since, but they have not had the impact that these early records had. Anyone else have this experience?

This statement is spot on! It's kinda sad when I think about it but classic LP's have attained that legend because they are exactly that, classic. No weak tracks and they've stood the test of time.

It might be cooler to mention some obsecure thing that sold zero copies but personally I'll still come back to the "standards" ie Pet Sounds, Revolver, Forever Changes, What's Going On etc.

We may be all fooling ourselves trying to find that ultimate record, cos it's already sitting in your collection!

At least the on-going quest is a lot of fun

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Hcrink
    JayPizzle
    Drewn
    99Problems
    O-Dub
    Asprin
    Rockadelic
    The_Mack
    3rdstream
    TripleDouble
    AI
    Faux_rills
    Miss Bassie

Really....whatup???

I chose these people cause they have all been pretty prolific on here recently and they have pretty aprticular personalities.

This ain't the last round.

you may just be called out next.

keep your shelltoes on, you might be running next.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Sorry couldn't narrow it down to ten.

Andrea Vereen and St. Mark's Choir

Artistic Sounds - Message to a Nation

Azuquita - Pura Salsa Melao

Bobby Valentin - Rey Del Bajo

Coke - S/T

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis

Destination Unlimited - Right Track

Dramatics - What You See is What You Get

Donnie Hathaway Live

Gil Scott Heron - Winter in America

Johnny Colon - Boogaloo Bluesman

Jorge Ben - Forca Bruta

Ken Boothe - Let's Get it On

Love - Forever Changes

Lovelites

Metro Tones - Get Together

Micheal James Kirkland - Hang on in There

Milton Nascimento & Lo Borges - Club De Esquina

Montclairs - Dreaming Out of Season

Montgomery Movement

Pharoah Sanders - Pharoah

Robert Roena - Apollo Sound 5

Ruby Andrews - Black Ruby

Nico - Chelsea Girl

Positive Force - Oracy

Selah and Edith Hill

Sylvers II

so many more...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    So you've got a grading system for Strutters now? Do you grade them visually or by surface noise? Just kidding, Guzzo.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Didn't I see these folks on line waiting to get into the American Idol auditions???

The Cold Sun "Dark Shadows" LP has been bootlegged on CD out of Greece. I've had the honor of putting out 50+ LP's over the years and this is by far the best. Singer does have an "unusual" vocal style and he plays the Electric Autoharp hooked up to a variety of effects.....really nothing else like it that I know of.

The Darius LP is a weird one too....very vain, self centered sounding psych backed by top notch west coast session players.....Darius moved back to K.C. when his career as a singer failed, became a Pizza Delivery driver and was in a car wreck that resulted in a metal fence post going completely through his face....I've seen photos and it was amazing that the guy lived through it. The LP is very creepy sounding to me on a tripped out, turned on lounge lizard level.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Didn't I see these folks on line waiting to get into the local high school play auditions???[/b]

• Didn't I see these folks on MTV's MADE: I Want To be On Soulstrut[/b]?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

The Cold Sun "Dark Shadows" LP has been bootlegged on CD out of Greece. I've had the honor of putting out 50+ LP's over the years and this is by far the best. Singer does have an "unusual" vocal style and he plays the Electric Autoharp hooked up to a variety of effects.....really nothing else like it that I know of.

The Darius LP is a weird one too....very vain, self centered sounding psych backed by top notch west coast session players.....Darius moved back to K.C. when his career as a singer failed, became a Pizza Delivery driver and was in a car wreck that resulted in a metal fence post going completely through his face....I've seen photos and it was amazing that the guy lived through it. The LP is very creepy sounding to me on a tripped out, turned on lounge lizard level.

thanks for the info, very intriging. what's the background on the folks in Cold Sun? Have you met and talked with them? Totally seems like something down my alley.

thanks for the info, very intriging. what's the background on the folks in Cold Sun? Have you met and talked with them? Totally seems like something down my alley.

I work with all the bands that I release, that's really the only/best way to do it and in this case there was no OG release so we needed the Master Tapes from the band....the main guy in Cold Sun is Bill Miller who played with Roky Erickson's Aliens through the 70's and 80's. He's now in the band The Blood Drained Cows and still carrying the psych flag!! Bill is a very interesting guy who lives with a house full of Lizards out in Northern California.....hopefully he'll re-issue the LP one day on CD.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

I work with all the bands that I release, that's really the only/best way to do it and in this case there was no OG release so we needed the Master Tapes from the band....the main guy in Cold Sun is Bill Miller who played with Roky Erickson's Aliens through the 70's and 80's. He's now in the band The Blood Drained Cows and still carrying the psych flag!! Bill is a very interesting guy who lives with a house full of Lizards out in Northern California.....hopefully he'll re-issue the LP one day on CD.

rad, I have a feeling I will dig the hell out of this. Especially since the Elevators rank as one of my favorite bands of all time. Glad you reissued this one. Any other interesting re-releases on the horizon?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Woah. The background info on this dude and his music is totally . Can you tell me more info on this LP? What year was it released, which label (if any) released it, and what were some of the session players featured on it?

SG

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Coke - S/T
    Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
    Donnie Hathaway Live
    Jorge Ben - Forca Bruta
    Love - Forever Changes
    Lovelites
    Montgomery Movement
    Nico - Chelsea Girl
    Positive Force - Oracy
    Selah and Edith Hill
    Sylvers II

so many more...
    too many raers on here. come on, metro-tones top 10 of all time?!?!?!?!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I know I'm not a "chosen one" but I wanna play too.

Upp-S/T
    Michael Franks- S/T
    Michael Franks- Art of Tea
    Too Short- Get In Where You Fit In
    Sabath- Paranoid
    Free- Fire & Water
    Jimmy McGriff- Electric Funk
    Howlin Wolf- The Howlin Wolf Album
    Sublime- 40oz to Freedom
    DJ Cam- Underground Vibes

Not my fav songs of all time. Just LPs that are 100% goodness

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Coke - S/T
    Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
    Donnie Hathaway Live
    Jorge Ben - Forca Bruta
    Love - Forever Changes
    Lovelites
    Montgomery Movement
    Nico - Chelsea Girl
    Positive Force - Oracy
    Selah and Edith Hill
    Sylvers II

so many more...

I hate to say it but I agree.

That destination unlimited is a two tracker atbest, would you really say it is one of the top ten LP's you've ever heard/ owned?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    James Brown - Its A New Day

David Axelrod - Songs Of Experience

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother

Public Enemy - Nation Of Millions

Ice Cube - Death Certificate

Marva Whitney - Its My Thing

Marlena Shaw - Spice Of Life

Lord Finesse - Funky Technician

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Curtis Mayfield - S/T

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Eddie hazel - games, dames & guitar thangs
    miles davis - kind of blue
    john coltrane - a love supreme
    curtis mayfield - curtis / there's no place like america today / short eyes sdtk
    al green - let's stay together
    donny hathaway - live / everything is everything
    the meters - s/t
    kool & the gang - s/t
    james brown - black caesar sdtk / plays popcorn
    mary lou williams - mary lou's mass
    mulatu astatke & his ethiopian quintet - afro-latin soul

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Eddie hazel - games, dames & guitar thangs
    curtis mayfield - curtis / there's no place like america today / short eyes sdtk
    the meters - s/t
    kool & the gang - s/t
    this looks good except for the lack of white artists

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Where's the funk?[/b]

I want to know a non-JB funk record that anyone would list in their top 10.
    same here

Eddie hazel - games, dames & guitar thangs[/b]
    the meters - s/t[/b]
    kool & the gang - s/t[/b]

Respectful list Aspirin.

- spidey

• I did this with Supergood in the realheadz section (RIP) and I thought it came out pretty cool. So I'm calling you Batches out:

3rdstream

iam still thinking

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Coke - S/T
    Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
    Donnie Hathaway Live
    Jorge Ben - Forca Bruta
    Love - Forever Changes
    Lovelites
    Montgomery Movement
    Nico - Chelsea Girl
    Positive Force - Oracy
    Selah and Edith Hill
    Sylvers II

so many more...

I hate to say it but I agree.

That destination unlimited is a two tracker atbest, would you really say it is one of the top ten LP's you've ever heard/ owned?

I thought this was personal favorites. I like what I like...

What's the criteria?