Combined 48 Hour Whirlwind Road Trip Digs

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Two Days.......1,200 miles.........Oklahoma & Kansas.......Myself and hard core digger Aleit.......here's some of about 125 LP's

Comments

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    damn man, really nice finds. I need to take a digging trip soon, whos with me?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    That Souls Cowboy LP is by Ingfried Hoffmann. It was either recorded before or after the Memphis Black - Soul Club LP. Has a funny drum break down on Oh Happy Day. Nice find. I'm surprised that it was released in the US too.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    really nice finds.

That Mary Lou Williams is worth the 2 day trip alone.

• nice finds! so what did you do...tons of research before heading out? scour the yellowpages in every town you passed through? did you stay in a hotel?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    damn man, really nice finds. I need to take a digging trip soon, whos with me?

HOLLAR!

(page me)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    nice finds! so what did you do...tons of research before heading out? scour the yellowpages in every town you passed through? did you stay in a hotel?

Did some research before we left but only about 1/2 of what we were hoping to see actually panned out.

The trip was basically planned around hitting the Music Exchange in KC which is going out of business in a few weeks after 26 years. After the shop closed the owner invited us to drink some beer and dig as late as we wanted and even let us go into areas that were typically "off limits" to customers. Place is pretty picked over but some hard work definitely paid off.

Hit a few Flea Markets and picked up a few things here and there.

Called a friend in KC who showed us around a little and hooked us up with a cool Jazz/R&B store who let us into their "warehouse". Same guy also gave us a lead in Oklahoma that looked good when we first got there(large quantity) but proved to be pretty shitty after 2 hours of digging and moving furniture and shit.

Met a guy along the way who had some stuff at the house and promised to hook up with us but it fell through.

Spent about 18 hours driving......20 hours digging.....and 10 hours sleeping in low-mid range hotels.

Aleit made the score of the trip pulling a copy of "The Deep" for a buck out of a Flea......he probably pulled better quality than I did(Mary Lou was his, Aspirin) but I pulled more quantity. He was a pleasure to travel with.....good conversation..... taught me alot about records I don't know much about and I'd like to think I did the same in return.

Hope to take another trip with him in the near future.

It's getting hard out there folks....have to look through alot of SHIT for a few gems....you better know your stuff and be prepared to work hard.....it helps if you enjoy what you're doing and if you have good company to enjoy it with!!.

Stores are falling like flies....Social digging is the future of vinyl.

Rich

• That Starbound is fucking great.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Oklahoma? We just scraped that place a couple weeks back... hmmm

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Stores are falling like flies....Social digging is the future of vinyl.

Rich

So true

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Nice finds.

This post reminded me to ask......

Anyone in the NJ/PA area up for a road trip in the spring?

PM me if so.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    The trip was basically planned around hitting the Music Exchange in KC which is going out of business in a few weeks after 26 years. After the shop closed the owner invited us to drink some beer and dig as late as we wanted and even let us go into areas that were typically "off limits" to customers. Place is pretty picked over but some hard work definitely paid off.

Is that the record store in KC with tons of records? I hit a few stores there when I went to KC to watch the Chiefs beat the Raiders. I remember one of the stores having tons of records. If that's the store it's a shame.

Aleit made the score of the trip pulling a copy of "The Deep" for a buck out of a Flea......he probably pulled better quality than I did(Mary Lou was his, Aspirin) but I pulled more quantity. He was a pleasure to travel with.....good conversation..... taught me alot about records I don't know much about and I'd like to think I did the same in return.

What's that deep record all about?

Oklahoma? We just scraped that place a couple weeks back... hmmm

N*t*A*,

I had a lead at someone's house.....looked pretty good when we entered the garage filled with vinyl.....had to move all kinds of shit out of the way to get to it all...and bought a total of 15 records....pretty weak stuff at that!!

Rich

• Rich, are you the owner of Starbound or is Ari? Because if it's you, I'll try to buy or trade, if it's Ari I know it's not going anywhere... haha

Is that the record store in KC with tons of records? I hit a few stores there when I went to KC to watch the Chiefs beat the Raiders. I remember one of the stores having tons of records. If that's the store it's a shame.

Yep....Music Exchange on Broadway....has about a 1,000,000 records but they have been well picked over.....not to mention that a SS legend once worked there!!! I picked up 35 LP's there and that's counting the X-Rated Ventriloquist and Hot Rod LP's......Music Exchange R.I.P.

The Deep was one of the very first Psych LP's ever released...either '65-'66...was a bunch of studio guys headed up by a NYC Folkie named Rusty Evans...a quick visit to Poopseek will reveal it's monetary lure.

Rich

Rich, are you the owner of Starbound or is Ari? Because if it's you, I'll try to buy or trade, if it's Ari I know it's not going anywhere... haha

Looks like you're out of luck.

Rich

• Rich, are you the owner of Starbound or is Ari? Because if it's you, I'll try to buy or trade, if it's Ari I know it's not going anywhere... haha

Looks like you're out of luck.

Rich

Hahaha I figured. It's an absolutely beautiful record. For a minute it could be scooped up for cheap on the interweb but it seems now that real headz now knowz the dealz... the last one went for a good amount of change.

• road trips are fun.

Yep....Music Exchange on Broadway....has about a 1,000,000 records but they have been well picked over.....not to mention that a SS legend once worked there!!! I picked up 35 LP's there and that's counting the X-Rated Ventriloquist and Hot Rod LP's......Music Exchange R.I.P.

The Deep was one of the very first Psych LP's ever released...either '65-'66...was a bunch of studio guys headed up by a NYC Folkie named Rusty Evans...a quick visit to Poopseek will reveal it's monetary lure.

Rich

Yea that record store was HUGE!!!!!!!Again, that's a bummer! I remember those guys being very friendly. Plus they gave me the lowdown (no Boz) on barbecue in KC. I will tip my 40oz later tonight for them.

[quotePlus they gave me the lowdown (no Boz) on barbecue in KC. I will tip my 40oz later tonight for them.

Did they steer you to L.C.'s or Arthur Bryants???

they told me about three of them. They said one was off the beaten path by the stadium. I ended up going to to gates. I wanted to hit all three but I was in town for a limited time. I did get back in line after I finished and got some more. I love barbecue. I wouldn't mind doing a Texas barbecue/digging road trip. Wet naps would be a must.

they told me about three of them. They said one was off the beaten path by the stadium. I ended up going to to gates. I wanted to hit all three but I was in town for a limited time. I did get back in line after I finished and got some more. I love barbecue. I wouldn't mind doing a Texas barbecue/digging road trip. Wet naps would be a must.

I don't care for Gates....a little too spicy on the sauce....their "burnt ends" sandwich is pretty good though.....next time search out LC's

I'm sure I'll hit KC again. Since my favorite team plays there. One less place to dig though.