Dilla Donuts

Comments

• It's a fucking great beat tape. Nothing more, nothing less.

• MPthreeeeeeees batches!

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    but how can this "album" even compare to fantastic vol 2?
    it doesn't have slum village on it, that's how

• "widely regarded as the most important man in hip???hop along with Pete Rock and DJ Premier"

man sometimes I think the Brits are a little, how should I put this delicately, "disconnected from ye olde streetes"?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

"widely regarded as the most important man in hip???hop along with Pete Rock and DJ Premier"

man sometimes I think the Brits are a little, how should I put this delicately, "disconnected from ye olde streetes"?

dilla brought whole new sound back in the late 90's.
    the whole neo-soul movement was very dilla-inspired

• "widely regarded as the most important man in hip???hop along with Pete Rock and DJ Premier"

dilla brought whole new sound back in the late 90's.
    the whole neo-soul movement was very dilla-inspired

I know I know. I luv that guy (no ayo). But the phrase just struck me as funny. After all, most Americans have never heard of Dilla. And yes, I realize that that means little in terms of "importance." I've just been up in the London/BBE mix a lot and it seems that a lot of times characters like Dilla and Madlib followed with a fervor usually restricted to important religious leaders.

...a lot of times characters like Dilla and Madlib followed with a fervor usually restricted to important religious leaders.

they are breaths of fresh air in such a manufactured plastic time.

• American fans have always been known for their good taste.

• American fans have always been known for their good taste.

point taken. nuff respect to my british fam.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

"widely regarded as the most important man in hip???hop with an L.P. on BBE[/b] along with Pete Rock and DJ Premier"

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    i really dont understand how anyone can say this album is any good.. maybe you guys are just fans from the slum village days...but how can this "album" even compare to fantastic vol 2?

H2>DOES THIS REALLY SEEM LIKE AN "ALBUM" TO YOU?!/H2>

Some of you dudes...I swear!!!

Thick Skull Posse is on the prowl.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    For me, this is a good LP.

LP = Long Player... aight?

Even if the tracks are short

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Will the commercial release differ from the promo in any way? Will the finished product be a beat tape? Its cool as it is, but this will sound kinda played out by its release date in a few weeks.

thats your own fault.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

LOL

hatter alert!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    thats your own fault.

I'm not hating it, but in this modern world of instant gratification, I find myself already looking for my next thrill. Alas, I guess it is my own fault...

One

h

• plaese to explain these.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

plaese to explain these.

Its quite simple, young B*n. It appears that the depths of Jdilla's "skillz", as they so succinctly refer to them in "the streets", have changed the life of the young man in the photo. Ah, the follies of youth!

respectfully yours,

h

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I have the retail version now & I'd like to retract any inflammatory Dilla comments I may or may not have made about this album.

Please to elaborate. Inquiring heads want to know the real Dilla.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    it's in constant rotation on some laid back steez.

I have the retail version now & I'd like to retract any inflammatory Dilla comments I may or may not have made about this album.

So, what's the difference between the promo and retail version?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i've been absorbing the promo for about a month. and i'll be copping the retail vinyl as soon as it comes out. i can understand peoples concerns and comments,

but i have to say that this is some of the ill.est shit i've heard in a minute. it will take about ten years for most people to comprehend this LP. there are a lot of new ideas on here. as soon as mad people start biting you guys will realize just how important this album is. there's nothing quite like it. acid/psych/hip-hop/soul done by a real pro.

haters, you will appreciate when the time is right for you.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    acid/psych/hip-hop/soul done by a real pro.

THIS IS WHAT DETROIT SHOULD BE DOING.

That's what Detroit's always been doing. The combination of those elements is the foundation for Detroit techno and its spawns, that includes "Donuts."

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

So, what's the difference between the promo and retail version?

Ok so I've had the retail version for a week now, and I don't hear any difference except for the removal of the occasional promo speak. It's still dope in it's own right. I'm beginning to appreciate it for what it is. Don't think I'll be hearing it that much though. I'm looking forward to that other shit.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

That's what Detroit's always been doing. The combination of those elements is the foundation for Detroit techno and its spawns, that includes "Donuts."

never thought about it that way... but hell yeah. this is 21st century motown.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I got a copy of it last week, and I think it's a good, if at times frustrating, listen. Some of it is extraordinarily good, but all the folks who've been saying it sounds like a beat tape have got a point. I'd like to hear him stretch out with a few of those ideas or, better yet, get an emcee on some of them. On the whole, though, I like it.