Dilla Donuts

13»

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I got a copy of it last week, and I think it's a good, if at times frustrating, listen. Some of it is extraordinarily good, but all the folks who've been saying it sounds like a beat tape have got a point. I'd like to hear him stretch out with a few of those ideas or, better yet, get an emcee on some of them. On the whole, though, I like it.

My sentiments exactly. A concrete A-B comparison example: I'd rather hear him make the Long Red break the basis of a full-blown bloodshitter beat like he did on "Verbal Clap" by De La Soul than hear him chop those drums alone in a very no-frills manner like on "Stepson Of The Clapper" from "Donuts".

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    some laid back steez.

uh-huh.

i love it. it's like a make-out record.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Dilla is at the point of his journey where most great producers usually disappear ...this is when everyone else has mastered your style.....i dont hear any new life in any of these beats....instead of saying "fuck it y'all can have my old style(s)" it seems like he trys to bleed something extra from his signature sound(s)....to be quite honest there's nothing left to bleed.....the beats are dope, of course...but with Jay Dee i used to anticipate some kinda new twist or something that made me .......for the 1st time its just ..........his style has been raped by bedroom producers.. but instead of moving on..he's decided to fight for his sound....problem is, it's a bit stale in 06'...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    in my opinion he's done a good job of distancing himself from his old sound and trying fresh things. donuts is way more out there than his previous beat tapes and productions with slum etc