Paid Dues Independent Hip-Hop Festival

2»

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Can someone please explain to me to whom these dues are being paid?

That guy must be making a fortune.

• only thing worth seeing really

• some people act like some of these wack indie dudes are above being called out or something.

*Ahem* Does Murs at least rate over Saigon in your ears eh Cackalacky? :r)

I think the % rate on SS is waaaaaaay overbalanced in favour of dissing indie dudes.

It gets a tad 'ho hum'.

• only thing worth seeing really

Really? over...

I think he goes out on a limb, while Rhett plays it safe...

• some people act like some of these wack indie dudes are above being called out or something.

*Ahem* Does Murs at least rate over Saigon in your ears eh Cackalacky? :r)

I think the % rate on SS is waaaaaaay overbalanced in favour of dissing indie dudes.
    It gets a tad 'ho hum'.

I have never heard any Murs in all honesty. I have only heard a handfull of the acts on the bill.

• festival= kufi-rap free= young phonics not searching for tickets on expedia.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Two drinks and an unlimited supply of white rappers...

4 white rappers, 1 white DJ, 2 Mexican rappers, 1 Mexican DJ, 8 Black rappers, 1 Black DJ and 1 Filipino DJ.

Looks like Black wins.

Don't be comin' in here on some bullshit, Faux Braux Rillz.

I wonder if Chingo knows what he's gotten himself into... or how the promoters thought he'd fit in that bill?

Chingo & Murs are cool like that. (I'm gonna go ahead & take credit for that.) Introducing each other to their respective fanbase is a very smart move. Both of them are very business-oriented and extremely fan-oriented (ie. approachable). And Murs has a large Mexican following who may only be vaguely aware of Chingo. (Murs, by the way, has been deemed an "honorary Mexican" by my Dad. My Dad doesn't share his Bud Light and have drunken conversations about his son with just anybody, you know!) Murs also has a huge international fanbase, and can introduce Chingo to people & places that his current Tejas, L.A., Mexico and Puerto Rico connections can't. Don't forget, it was Murs who reached out to Chingo and put him on a 9th Wonder track alongside E-40 and John Cena. I mean, shit, E-40?! He made at least 4 dudes dreams come true right there (no homo).

Chingo, as much as I promote and "ride" for him, walks a very thin line between parody & patr??n. Most of his rhymes and content is aimed towards and understood by a small (yet growing) portion of Hip Hop culture: The 2nd or 3rd generation Mexicanos who did NOT grow up in gang-infested neighborhoods. He's more ranchero than cholo. More border-crosser than Chicano. More SPM (with a sense of humor) than Kid Frost. (On a side note, the fact that he has fun with his music and drops gems that proves he really knows his Hip Hop shit kinda reminds me of Lighter Shade Of Brown BITD. However, lately those LSOB dudes have been straight up biting Chingo's shit. See ODM's "Paletero Man" sung to the tune of "Laffy Taffy" for proof.) I really feel Chingo has what it takes to be the bridge between Norte??o music and today's Hip Hop, commercial AND underground. But, like I said, it's a thin line. He's gotta embrace his people without confusing those who just don't get it.

Damn, sorry y'all. I kinda got sidetracked there. But yeah, Murs/Chingo Bling is a damn good idea. And don't be surprised if you hear more from that union in the future.

And oh yeah, to those of you that feel the need to "hate" on this thread, if there is ANYTHING that you might be able to allow yourself to at least attempt, I would have to strongly suggest and cosign Brother Ali. Trust me, it's not as backpacky as you think. Plus he can probably whup ALL your white asses.

Herm

P.S. Why isn't Soul Purpose on the bill?

P.S.2. I will most definitely be at this show and yeah, I'm sure I'll be surrounded by a grip of weirdo emo-rap fans. Thankfully, emo-rap's female fans are nice to look at.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    And I'm not saving up for the D4L show or any other rap show for that matter. I'm saving up for the ballet and the opera.

motherfucking

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I will most definitely be at this show and yeah, I'm sure I'll be surrounded by a grip of weirdo emo-rap fans. Thankfully, emo-rap's female fans are nice to look at.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Hotsauce: the only reason I questioned Chingo fitting in there is because his music is MILES apart from the rest of the bill stylistically (and I mean that in a good way)...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I will most definitely be at this show and yeah, I'm sure I'll be surrounded by a grip of weirdo emo-rap fans. Thankfully, emo-rap's female fans are nice to look at.

LOL... the one girl I know who matches that description aint' all that either...

Hotsauce: the only reason I questioned Chingo fitting in there is because his music is MILES apart from the rest of the bill stylistically

I agree it's different; however, do you honestly feel that every single one of the people attending this show (and performing, for that matter) ONLY listen to underground Hip Hop?

As you can see, Murs is one of the organizers. Every one of the performers are but a phone call away from him. If he was on a first name basis with say Paul Wall, 50 Cent, Cam'ron, etc.. AND they were offered good money to perform at this indie rap festival, best believe they'd be right up there rocking the crowd and collecting new consumers.

Herm

P.S. Braux Rillz, you need to get out more often. You are soooo disconnected from the darkness.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

P.S. Braux Rillz, you need to get out more often. You are soooo disconnected from the darkness.

Don't be such a ponce.

• P.S. Braux Rillz, you need to get out more often. You are soooo disconnected from the darkness.

Don't be such a ponce.

If Felt is performing there will be a lot of young brizzles in the building. Murs is a cool ass dude, good to see him getting it crackin.

Don't be such a ponce.

If Felt is performing there will be a lot of young brizzles in the building. Murs is a cool ass dude, good to see him getting it crackin.

You need to get some beats to him! Don't forget, I was there that night (Beat Society), don't let the alcohol cloud your memory!!! Ha ha!

Herm

• P.S. Braux Rillz, you need to get out more often. You are soooo disconnected from the darkness.

Don't be such a ponce.

You need to get some beats to him! Don't forget, I was there that night (Beat Society), don't let the alcohol cloud your memory!!! Ha ha!

Herm

I literally didn't remember meeting 90% of the people I talked to that night! That was really not a good look. Yeah we're goin to do something eventually. I'm waiting for him to do this gangster album he's talking about.