E-40 - Tell Me When To Go video

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    The song is incredible and the video is real good. If this doesn't break hyphy national, I can't imagine anything doing it.

I THINK AS A TOUREST OUTSIDER OBSERVER, I BELIEVE THIS VIDEO AND SONG WILL BE THE TIPPING POINT FOR THE BAY UNLESS SOME BIG RECORD COMPANY REALLY FUKS IT UP

THIZZ NATION COMING TO A WALMART PARKING LOT SIDESHOW SOON

GO DUMB

• In Dragons founder Tobie Gene Livingston's autobiography[/b], he mentions that Richie Rich used to ride with them. "Something about the West Coast...."

wtf?! is it a good read?

Not bad. I love bikes, so I was into it. Some really interesting history on Oakland in it, too. It was co-written by the Zimmerman twins, same dudes who co-wrote Sonny Barger's bio.

Oooh, must get.

Richie Rich seems like a really interesting dude. My man Malachi went to Skyline High with him and told me he had no idea RR was a rapper until the 415 record dropped.

Random Oakland biker bullshit-- back in high school/college years, I used to go to a late-night diner on Broadway called Dave's. There was a waitress there who was like the prototype of the waitress in Gary Larson's "Far Side" cartoons-- beehive hair, glasses, sassy. Anyhow, I'm told she was Sonny Barger's ex-wife.

• ross my good friend travis interviewed sonny barger fairly recently. i'm not even to bikes, and i found it pretty entertaining. dude was/is savage!

http://www.slapmagazine.com/new_site/issues/5_05/SONNY/
    http://sfmasher.cjb.net/

In Dragons founder Tobie Gene Livingston's autobiography[/b], he mentions that Richie Rich used to ride with them. "Something about the West Coast...."

wtf?! is it a good read?

Not bad. I love bikes, so I was into it. Some really interesting history on Oakland in it, too. It was co-written by the Zimmerman twins, same dudes who co-wrote Sonny Barger's bio.

Back to this video/track for a minute: Slump & Grind would've been done sooner, but B.Cause and I HAD to wait to put this song on it. Wouldn't be complete without it.

[Now if only San Quinn's Hell Yeah had dropped two weeks earlier....]

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

on a strictly sonic level "drop" is a whole lot more melodic than "grindin" was. "grindin" was really straight rhymes on drums. "wait," "play," "tell me," "burn rubber," "can't stop won't stop"...all really drum driven. no melody.

anyways the argument I was really making is that "wait" was more influential than "drop it." "drop it" was like a variation on "grindin."

Obviously this is all subjective...that said, I respectuflly disagree.

Noixe, that last part confuses me...you just said that "Grindin" was drums while "Drop It' is more melodic...now you're saying that the latter is a variation of the former?

And in any case "Drop" is not very melodic; it has the slide whistle, it has that weird synth chord on the chorus, but the main beat is a kick drum and the sound effect of aerosal spray.

As for variations of "Grindin" (this goes back to a Brian's post), the drum PATTERN was borrowed in other songs but the style of the song: stripped down JUST to the drums. For example, I thought "Tipsy" sounded like it borrowed a bit from the pattern but it's a bit more melodic with what sounds like an electronic bass buzzing off underneath.

As for "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" - far more complex in its rhythmic density than most of the other songs we're talking about here. It's melodically thin but there's a lot going on in that track, certainly more than "Grindin", "Drop It," etc.

I think "Wait" was definitely part of the catalyst behind the current trend in production towards super minimalism though how can one, in this case, gauge if its influence was greater, equal to, or less than "Drop It"?

• on a strictly sonic level "drop" is a whole lot more melodic than "grindin" was. "grindin" was really straight rhymes on drums. "wait," "play," "tell me," "burn rubber," "can't stop won't stop"...all really drum driven. no melody.

anyways the argument I was really making is that "wait" was more influential than "drop it." "drop it" was like a variation on "grindin."

Obviously this is all subjective...that said, I respectuflly disagree.

Noixe, that last part confuses me...you just said that "Grindin" was drums while "Drop It' is more melodic...now you're saying that the latter is a variation of the former?

And in any case "Drop" is not very melodic; it has the slide whistle, it has that weird synth chord on the chorus, but the main beat is a kick drum and the sound effect of aerosal spray.

As for variations of "Grindin" (this goes back to a Brian's post), the drum PATTERN was borrowed in other songs but the style of the song: stripped down JUST to the drums. For example, I thought "Tipsy" sounded like it borrowed a bit from the pattern but it's a bit more melodic with what sounds like an electronic bass buzzing off underneath.

As for "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" - far more complex in its rhythmic density than most of the other songs we're talking about here. It's melodically thin but there's a lot going on in that track, certainly more than "Grindin", "Drop It," etc.

I think "Wait" was definitely part of the catalyst behind the current trend in production towards super minimalism though how can one, in this case, gauge if its influence was greater, equal to, or less than "Drop It"?

I am gonna call BULLSHIT. Oliver, "Can't Stop Won't Stop" is no more rhythmically complex than "Grindin'", there are pretty much the same amounts of percussion, double and triple time notation, and "Grindin'" FYI is not just drums there is a synth line that comes in for the hook and carries a melody. I'm wondering if you actually stop and listen to the records before postulating some ridiculous theory about them. If you're gonna get deep into production techniques you might want to start learning how samplers and sequencers work as I think it might help you understand sonically what's going on in these tracks a little better.

Grindin: 2 kicks, 2 hats. 1 clap. 1 synth line.

Can't Stop Won't Stop: 2 kicks, 1 clap, 1 hat, 1 percussion sound.

"Wait": 1 kick, 1 snap, 1 hat.

Drop It Like Its Hot: 2 kicks, 2 snares, 1 hat, the mouth sounds, the 808 kick is spread over several notes/keys, then there's that "snoooooooooop" and the synth chords.

I mean, there's no point in discussing which ones are more or less complex - they're all pretty simple and well-programmed and it's kind of six of one, half dozen of the other. But if you want to be anal Drop It Like Its Hot is more complex than any of the other records.

There have been minimalist tracks over the years because THAT REAL SCHITT is often just drum tracks with a basic scratch or synth stab, people have been doing these kind of throwbacks for years, get over it

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Drop It Like Its Hot: 2 kicks, 2 snares, 1 hat, the mouth sounds, the 808 kick is spread over several notes/keys, then there's that "snoooooooooop" and the synth chords.

You forgot the spray can sound GET IT RIGHT!

JP,

Let me restate this:

To me, "Can't Stop," SOUNDS like there's more going on. Yes, I did listen to all the songs above before posting. But no, I don't have a background as a producer and though I once knew how to read music, I've never had to notate it. I appreciate you breaking things down and showing how all these songs are more closely related than separate.

However, I wasn't remotely floating out a theory - it was a sentence for god's sake, not a fucking thesis. I was offering up an opinion; I lead off that post by saying that how we listen to music is, of course, subjective. And like I just said, "Can't Stop" sounds more dense/complex/layered (I'm not sure what the proper word would be here) than "Grindin" is though, upon reflection, I think part of this has to do with how the former is about 10-15BPMs faster than the latter (at least based on memory. I recall that Grindin' was 85 and Can't Stop is about 99). Perhaps the faster tempo of "Can't Stop" makes it seem like there's more going on though, I suppose if you sped up Gridin, the two would begin to resemble one another much more.

Regardless, I'm not arguing with your analysis.

But, regarding your last sentence: so you don't think something like "Tell Me When To Go" nods to either "Wait," "Grindin" "Drop It," etc. but rather, is just part of a longer wave of minimalist rap tracks? I'm not hostile to the idea, just wanted to make sure that's the point you're making.

• But, regarding your last sentence: so you don't think something like "Tell Me When To Go" nods to either "Wait," "Grindin" "Drop It," etc. but rather, is just part of a longer wave of minimalist rap tracks? I'm not hostile to the idea, just wanted to make sure that's the point you're making.

"Tell Me When To Go" has very little to do with those songs IMO, a lot more to do with "Hyphy", "Go Dumb", and that Bay rap which to me has its own sound.

I think the tracks listed above are part of a larger wave of minimalist rap tracks.

"Tell Me When To Go" has very little to do with those songs IMO, a lot more to do with "Hyphy", "Go Dumb", and that Bay rap which to me has its own sound.

Funny - my friend was making that same exact argument to me over IM before I read your post. It's kind of crazy that with little more than a kick drum, hand clap and that "blip", you can already sonically nod to a region. Then again, I went to a bunch of tracks, from "Go Dumb" to "It's Getting Hot In Here" and it all made sense.

• It's a tempo thing. Nobody else is making music that fast.

• BTW, this is Lil Jon, yes?

Yessir.
    is that right? i thought it might've been bosko.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    The song and video are

That "dumbdumbdumbdumb" is the cherry on top. I'm about to cop this.

• I'm about to cop this.

I tried, I think this is tough to catch in the Bay but apparently copies have been turning up in LA

I'm about to cop this.

I tried, I think this is tough to catch in the Bay but apparently copies have been turning up in LA

Yeah, Amoeba and B-sides are both out of the 12" (though it sounds like the 12" is pressed up shitty?) There's a few edit comps with this on there though. I'd try B-sides in Berkeley (they sell their stock online too).

• I'm about to cop this.

Yeah, Amoeba and B-sides are both out of the 12" (though it sounds like the 12" is pressed up shitty?) There's a few edit comps with this on there though. I'd try B-sides in Berkeley (they sell their stock online too).

yeah they're out now, might get some back though. I imagine that this will get a bigger press though.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Could somebody maybe break down all of this Bay Area car culture terminology?

sideshows?

Archaic,Ant Banks, I know this is the opportunity you've been waiting for... the shit you tried to tell me in '94 when I was snoozin'...

Nighttime falls and everybody's perking
    No punks around so funk's occurring
    But the sideshow's back and everybody's flossing
    In they ride trying to side and all the freaks are tossing
    Any brother with bump, trunk of funk is knocking
    Candy paint on they ride keeps the bitches jocking
    Knowing you's a balling-ass nigga everybody hates
    Rolling in the town with a pound straight dropping weight
    Blowing up like dynamite
    Selling weed, yay, angel dust, hop, and China white
    Fuck it, you're making duckets, never riding buckets
    Playing punk bitches like puppets
    Yo, but there's a lot of fake counterfeit macks
    Playa hatin on they homies trying to dry gat
    To look good for the hoes, man these niggas ain't joking
    Boy, you get that ass smoked in Oakland

Chorus:
    Niggas in Oakland all day long
    Be pimping these hoes from dusk til dawn
    Making cash real fast and you know it's on
    Hanging on the streets of Oakland

All we do is smoke that weed
    And drink brew on the Ave til we get keyed
    And a little bit of head is all we need
    Hanging on the streets of Oakland

[Boots - spoken]
    Aw yeah, The Coup is up in here, and we be talking about the
    real. Motherfuckas know that we know, that they know, that we
    know the deal. Now the originality of our principality is that
    we don't play the pimp. But the reality of our locality, and
    you'll learn this gradually, is that motherfuckas do this shit
    to pay their rent. But here's a hint: how we gonna get it straight
    when we bent? Shit, see I ain't never had shit but my stripes
    and my game and my life, and all them's just hand downs from my
    grandaddy. Yeah, I'm living large kidding with Ant Banks, but I'm
    still hustling food stamps for my candy apple red Caddy. Alright...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

415's Side Show from '91:

(Hurry, hurry, step right up
    and see the side show in town
    for only 50 cents)

[ D-Loc ]
    Wait, wait, cut this shit, man
    This ain't no muthafuckin side show
    Rich, kick the side show

( *DJ Daryl cuts up* )
    (1)
    (2)
    (3)
    (Make it funky)

[ Richie Rich ]
    It's a Saturday night, my girl's actin real shitty
    Due to the fact I just left Campbell City
    Straight lace Zeniths and vogues all on point
    On my way to the Town to get a doja joint
    Pushed it to the 7 to get some dank
    Hit the liquor store to cold get drank
    Now I got my doja, sippin on Nitro
    Peace playboy, I'm on my way to the side show
    Down Bancroft to the light
    Let me warm it up, I hit a donut tight
    There's a Chevy on my side, windows straight tinted
    I think he got hype when he saw me spin it
    I'm up outta there, sideways to the next life
    Vogues kinda smokin but Zeniths still tight
    I'm at the side show, parlayin and playin
    Music on hit, head straight swayin
    To the sounds of the 415 and the Locster
    Girlie on the corner on jock, so I approached her
    Spoke real smooth and said, "Hey, what's happenin?"
    She said, "Dubble-R, is that you rappin?"
    I said, "Ah nah, baby, that ain't me
    You listen to the sounds of the L-o-c
    The same clique, the 415, we make paper
    But back up, bitch, I can see you got the vapors"
    A lazy, towed up, tore down hoe
    She's lookin for some dick at the side show

You know what I'm sayin?
    In Oakland, California, every Saturday night, brothers be ridin
    Straight lace Zeniths, rag tops, buckets, high performance
    We really don't be trippin, you know what I'm sayin?
    But now it's like this

[ Richie Rich ]
    Police came through, but now they're gone
    In other words, the side show's on
    Troy's in a Maxima straight up lit
    Short's comin through in a Benz with a kit
    Oakland's movin somethin, and that's real
    Bruce from the Deuce comin through in a 'Ville
    This is a side show, boy, we don't fake it
    Police come through on a fluke and try to break it
    Up like that with a riot hat
    You're gonna need more than a billy club and a gat
    To stop the side show, officer, just think
    Maybe you should come and hit the spot with a tank
    Cause the brothers from the O are gonna keep on ridin
    Yo can hit a tight one, straight sidin
    See, we ain't really trippin off jail or the tickets
    A brother wants to post, make mail and kick it
    Now listen, this is the code to the show
    For the people out there who just don't know
    If your shit is hella clean, then bring it
    If it's high performance, then swing it
    If it's a motorcycle, you better serve it
    And if you get a ticket, you better deserve it
    As long as you can say, "Man, I let em know"
    Then peace, you did it at the side show

It's a everyday thing
    Every Saturday night brothers be tearin up cars
    Brothers be comin through swingin em
    I don't know what's goin on, I'm juiced
    I'm in the Town, I strikes through
    I see bitches, corner to corner, block to block
    You know, basically it's just (funky)

[ Richie Rich ]
    Corner to corner, block to block
    Flock Zeuses and EV's that knock
    Gold-diggin bitches in the City of O
    Lookin for a nigga with a cash flow
    That's the type of shit that gets em off
    Material shit, at the side show, boss
    Brothers get started, and man, don't quit
    Kiki's on a Ninja about to tear up shit
    It's about 2 o'clock and the show's still goin
    Bitches all at the gas station hoein
    A nigga like me never ever spends cash on hoes
    Nah, I need a new set of vogues
    Candy paint will make a bitch peep
    But she'll never get a muthafuckin dime out of me
    Peace to everybody in the O that I know
    Dubble-R get with you at the side show

Believe that
    Cause it's real

This one goes out to my DJ Daryl-Ski
    My homeboy L-o-c
    And of course the Jigga, the Jed

• You like classics well I'll sock that ass
    Wit a 454 hypo, nitro hooked through the trunk,
    I'm a flowmaster monk you'll get smobbed on,
    I'll smoke that ass like skunk. You better
    Rotate them drums locate that hum,
    no alignment,
    My rhymes remind me of ya suspension,
    Off to the left section off the strip.
    Let's strike a got a 7-deuce mali with sauce
    Brandy wine gloss, raleighs edelbrock manifold
    Header chrome kit, aluminum tips and I'm
    Assumin he'll slip and want to race me
    For some scratch. I'll hook em in and pretend
    My shit ain't tight. Let him bite then suck his ass
    At the light - red light, smash - green light,
    I lit up alotta stares, now he wanna fight,
    Nigga swing ya shit, I gets up outta there
    Just me & him on the B & M shift kit from a rich beeeeyitch
    You wanna ride, unlock the shicks on tha cock,
    I'm smockin engine blocks overheatin oil level
    Rebels cause I'm rollin in hype shit
    I'm in some hype shit
    I'm in some motherfuckin' hype shit

Hoo hoo, man you swung that motherfucker!
    I'm tellin you nigga, my shit tight nigga you step to me nigga I'll blow that ass away!
    Oh like that? Well a nigga got a 6-9, Stingray, with a motherfuckin 400 in it -
    - Aww nigga, I was in a high speed chase nigga -
    - Eat shit up, and it got bullet holes in the motherfucker!
    Aww nigga, nigga fuck that! HIGHWAY!

High speed chase down 280, I'm
    lookin at my oil gauge &
    It read you can't fade me.
    I'm floatin through traffic
    Laughin and shit but I wasn't trippin cause I had a gat
    Wit a clip under the seat, then I heard the loud speaker
    Speak, pull your ass over on the offramp &
    Don't try to vamp. Heart was on thumpa,
    The mark was on my bumper plus I had a zip
    Of bomb on my lap, I couldn't dump the gat.
    Going into custody can't fuck with that, plus
    I got a 396 with a trick in my trunk & I'm not
    Goin out like a punk (aww this ain't Menace nigga!)
    so I bounced - fuck it,
    The way he was in me you would think his salary poppin.
    But I got mallory hook up & I'm not stoppin for shit,
    I'm smobbin through tricks & trucks.
    5.0's gettin
    Sucked and I'm caught up in the rear-view,
    Didn't see Linda Woo tryin to merge lanes.
    She almost hit me. (You beeeeyitch!)
    But I'm still rollin, he's not gonna get with me
    Took the Richmond turn off,
    Hit the switch on the nitro in a lean
    I felt my shit was pristine,
    I'm out like a mothafuckin fiend, in hype shit.

• i was just at 33third and no one has touched his cache of tell me when to go 12s.

hi jonny. i be seeing streaks. get on that squeegie.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    this song is fun, this thread meanwhile has managed to suck the fun out of it.

soulstrut is not your blog

• this song is fun, this thread meanwhile has managed to suck the fun out of it.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Hi Aser

(calling 33 1/3)

• Could somebody maybe break down all of this Bay Area car culture terminology?

scraping?

ghostriding?

sideshows?

unintenionally hilarious.

• this song is fun, this thread meanwhile has managed to suck the fun out of it.

my blog kicks this threads ass

this song is fun, this thread meanwhile has managed to suck the fun out of it.

Aser, I'm not understanding how any of this is new to you.

We exist to suck souls. No existential ayo.

• According to the B-Sides mailer this is shot on Seminary.

If I wasn't listening to Mike2600's mix I would watch the video and confim
    Moses Music?

I found it funny that there was a Biggie poster in the store's window.

i meant the shots of the side show at the liquor store. that is on seminary.. im pretty sure it is that one... although im not saying it's definite... i just remember the signs telling people not to empty tobacco products in the parking lot.

• this thread got me so hyped about this song that i played it friday night at what passes for a "hip hop" event in raleigh... it did not go over well... i forgot that you can't play a record here until it's been on the radio a million times... "laffy taffy" and "grillz" killed it though

this song is my shit... i'm only ghost riding from now on... it takes me a lot longer to get to work, but i think the pros outweigh the cons

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    This is the nicest track i've heard in a long while, love the video as well, thanks for putting me up on this, it will probably take a while for this to be played over here in holland, if it gets played at all.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    this thread got me so hyped about this song that i played it friday night at what passes for a "hip hop" event in raleigh... it did not go over well... i forgot that you can't play a record here until it's been on the radio a million times... "laffy taffy" and "grillz" killed it though

I'm sayin though... you gotta spoonfeed these motherfuckers...

I meant to play it Friday but forgot

this thread got me so hyped about this song that i played it friday night at what passes for a "hip hop" event in raleigh... it did not go over well... i forgot that you can't play a record here until it's been on the radio a million times... "laffy taffy" and "grillz" killed it though

this song is my shit... i'm only ghost riding from now on... it takes me a lot longer to get to work, but i think the pros outweigh the cons

Doesn't that shit suck though? Playing a cut you are feelingn only to watch it go over the heads of those in attendence. For real though: for an unitiated crowd, this could be an opening hour cut, but yeah, if you dropped it in the middle of a set at the height of the night, I could see how a bunch of NC cats would be like, "what is this?" (E-40 has always been an acquired taste, even in the Yay). But man, I wish I could have seen Cosmo drop this at Milk. I'd imagine the crowd went binoculars.

• Doesn't that shit suck though? Playing a cut you are feelingn only to watch it go over the heads of those in attendence. For real though: for an unitiated crowd, this could be an opening hour cut, but yeah, if you dropped it in the middle of a set at the height of the night, I could see how a bunch of NC cats would be like, "what is this?" (E-40 has always been an acquired taste, even in the Yay). But man, I wish I could have seen Cosmo drop this at Milk. I'd imagine the crowd went binoculars.

oh yeah, i played it early, i knew better than to break up the 1:00AM ying yang/50/jeezy-fest, but i was really hoping that somebody would recognize that it was hot... the only reaction it got was the host of the party (by host i mean yell on the mic for 4 straight hours), who told me to "play something new"... i think his exact words were "bring the music up to date"... people are just dumb (i don't mean riding on top of their cars either)... the only difference in this song and whatever is the hot shit on the radio is this is hotter