Good funky Prestige LP's

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    can we get a moratorium on looking for 'funky post punk' or 'funky prestige' or 'folk funk' or 'funky minimal techno' or anything else that is really just a blatantly reductivist way of looking at what may be an interesting form of music ON ITS OWN TERMS??? shit is fucking embarrassing.

when was the last time you smiled?

S****,

I hear you loud and clear, doggee. shit is just ridiculous. yall are starting to sound like ravers breaking down the 20 subgenres of house music.

you see the thing about this is youre acting like youre high and mighty. As if youre so frustrated with people asking questions about music on a music website that it hurts you. If your skin is that thin than I suggest not participating in threads like this.

Shit talk for the sake of trying to maintain some sort of internet music bully role is pretty whack.

do you walk up in other peoples conversations and tell them they are talking about stuff your "so over" often?

peoples need musical hoagies STAT
    you mad, dude. you mad.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    can we get a moratorium on looking for 'funky post punk' or 'funky prestige' or 'folk funk' or 'funky minimal techno' or anything else that is really just a blatantly reductivist way of looking at what may be an interesting form of music ON ITS OWN TERMS??? shit is fucking embarrassing.

S****,

I hear you loud and clear, doggee. shit is just ridiculous. yall are starting to sound like ravers breaking down the 20 subgenres of house music.

you see the thing about this is youre acting like youre high and mighty. As if youre so frustrated with people asking questions about music on a music website that it hurts you. If your skin is that thin than I suggest not participating in threads like this.

Shit talk for the sake of trying to maintain some sort of internet music bully role is pretty whack.

do you walk up in other peoples conversations and tell them they are talking about stuff your "so over" often?

co-sign man. dudes think they're so fuckin toough and cool on an internet message board.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

S****,

co-sign man. dudes think they're so fuckin toough and cool on an internet message board.

...when in real life they would wither in the face of TheMack's superior toughness and coolness!

Respect his gangsta!

• all good everyone. listen to neal creque in peace.

• rusty bryant fire eater you assholes.

• You need Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds. Sit there and listen to that shit and turn off the computer and mellow. Then you can grab Eric Dolphy/Mal Waldron The Quest. Put that shit on and put a finger up your butt and you will find yourself. Then as you come back into consciousness put on George Braith Musart and you will feel like a new liberated man.

AP seems to have taken over JP

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

AP seems to have taken over JP

my spleen just froze over

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

S****,

you came out of hiding for this? go back to school, pimpin. you done for the night.

S****,

...when in real life they would wither in the face of TheMack's superior toughness and coolness!

Respect his gangsta!
    for real though. i wanna see one of ya'll but into someones conversation at the yacht club or something and be like, "fuck are you talking about? you're missing the point dude".

S****,

you came out of hiding for this? go back to school, pimpin. you done for the night.
    hiding?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Seriously, this summer, can we organize a ALL SoulStrut Weekender?? All of these converstions need to be happening in person.

• i don't really see anything wrong with this question, as long as people aren't thinking that 'funk' is the only thing Prestige has going for it.

I like Sonny Stitt 'Turn it on'. Bayete has some nice stuff. Funk Inc. I even like a lot of the Gene Ammons stuff, sure he wasn't breaking new ground, but it's good clean fun.

• girgir 329 Posts
    Seriously, this summer, can we organize a ALL SoulStrut Weekender?? All of these converstions need to be happening in person while intoxicated.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Seriously, this summer, can we organize a ALL SoulStrut Weekender?? All of these converstions need to be happening in person.

there wouldn't be conversations though.

Basically JP and I would see each other face-to-face and before either one of us could say a word we'd start ripping each others clothes off and proceed to fuck and argue for 3 days straight

RD would watch for the most part and comment on our lack of classic positions

• I've got my Yusef Lateefs, My Sonny Criss LP's and so on. If I wanted to ask about great jazz titles on the label I would of started a post called "great jazz titles on the prestige label"

So go buy a great funk record. Do you have the LPs I mentioned? You mentioned you had a couple on CD. Funny, that's the same reply you gave when someone asked why you didn't own "Maggot Brain".

Look, there are plenty of good and not-so funky Prestige titles. I like all of Billy Butler's records, so grab those. I like Patrice Rushen's output on the label. That's funky.

But Christ man, this is a website where we argue about music, don't expect all of us here to nod blankly to justify your questionable taste every time you ask a question.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Holy Modal Rounders, dawg.

• Cosign-age on the Rusty Bryant. His best record in my opinion.

$??

• Some times you fools read into shit a bit too much. You know what all this bickering reminds me of?

I thought this was a good thread. I don't think Ad*m intended on belittling the jazz genre with his use of the word "funky." And if I thought he was doing so, believe me, I'd be one of the first to call him on it. Just saying...

• never said they were. However I felt like asking about those that were funky only to be met with some "youre missing the point of music" garbage.

100 % co-sign....... people here seems to think that all the other posters are Dj's that just look for funk breakbeats in jazz records.........

have you ever considered some people could "actually like" improvised music over a fatback rhythm session period ...

so if I want to look for other records in the same vein I will write on boards like this that (probably) "were intended" to connect people with similar taste in music.....

so what's wrong ?

my vote goes to "friday night funk for saturday night brothers" Rusty Bryant get down with a bunch of unknown musicians , and there you can hear some of the most crisp snaredrum recorded by prestige

leon spencer stuff for the label is quite strong too

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    rusty bryant fire eater you assholes.

...and I'll trade it for a copy of Left Banke Too if anyone has it to give
    ...cash incentives...

Then you can grab Eric Dolphy/Mal Waldron The Quest. Put that shit on and put a finger up your butt and you will find yourself.

I can testify to this. Nirvana was attained, and a calendar year of satisfying bowel movements followed.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I thought this was a good thread. I don't think Ad*m intended on belittling the jazz genre with his use of the word "funky." And if I thought he was doing so, believe me, I'd be one of the first to call him on it. Just saying...

Saying. I got some some of the prestige titles mentioned here on CD and on LP. The Sonny Criss that Tapscott produced in '69 is not funky but tis one of my favorite releases on the label.

I've even recommended it some people on here.

Adam loves the bop, hard bop, modal, and spiritual jazz. Nimbus is pretty, Tribe is pretty, Blue Note is pretty, Strata East is pretty, Atlantic is pretty, Savoy is pretty.

Everythig else hasn't been approved by soulstrut so I cannot endorse them personally

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    IMO "Spark Plug" is one of the "funkiest" prestige record, but can hardly be called funk. too crisp. "Wah Tu Wah Zui" is a close runn for the money.

fuck breaks and beats. it's funk vs. jazz. nothing on prestige is funk.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I was expecting e-blood from this e-beef, and now you're are all kissing each other and posting graemlins. What a let down.

• fuck breaks and beats. it's funk vs. jazz. nothing on prestige is funk.

funk is not just sly stone .....it's the way you play.....leon spencer playin is funky, no matter the label .....sayin'

• Everythig else hasn't been approved by soulstrut so I cannot endorse them personally

Ah yes -- dully noted. So that "Good funky Riverside LPs" thread will just have to wait then.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Everythig else hasn't been approved by soulstrut so I cannot endorse them personally

Ah yes -- dully noted. So that "Good funky Riverside LPs" thread will just have to wait then.

riverside? I'm going to have to ask the judges about that one.

Does Orrin Keepnews count as "good"???

• Everythig else hasn't been approved by soulstrut so I cannot endorse them personally

riverside? I'm going to have to ask the judges about that one.

Does Orrin Keepnews count as "good"???

no, as long as Bob Porter doesn't

• Does Orrin Keepnews count as "good"???

Well, as you can see, my post count is pretty low -- surely I can't be qualified enough to answer that.

I suggest you ask the council about that when bringing up the Riverside issue.

• i think the only funky prestige records i still own are patrice rushen, so i'll go with her. i have that "young ones" record - not really funky though.

• fuck breaks and beats. it's funk vs. jazz. nothing on prestige is funk.

funk is not just sly stone .....it's the way you play.....leon spencer playin is funky, no matter the label .....sayin'

That's not the definition of "funky" upon which the community has agreed.