Good funky Prestige LP's

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited February 2019 in Music Talk
and no I'm not talking about those noodling boring ones. I'm talking quality prestige. Having a 4/4 beat does not make an album good. So please think about that before you list up every Melvin Sparks snoozefest he made for the label.I was thinking about this lately and all that came to mind was the Neal Creque and the Young ones albums.Son me on whats quality here.

Comments

• Son me on whats quality here.

dude it is definitely neither neal creque nor the young ones

•  

FUNKY

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Son me on whats quality here.

dude it is definitely neither neal creque nor the young ones

Son better than that

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Idris Muhammad "peace and rhthym" (pretty sure thats what its called) Anyways, might be my favorite prestige title. What Creque title do you speak of btw?

• Neal Creque is not quality

looking for funky on Prestige is like looking for pizza in Texas

or a cheesesteak in LA

You need Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds. Sit there and listen to that shit and turn off the computer and mellow. Then you can grab Eric Dolphy/Mal Waldron The Quest. Put that shit on and put a finger up your butt and you will find yourself. Then as you come back into consciousness put on George Braith Musart and you will feel like a new liberated man.

Serious.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Idris Muhammad "peace and rhthym" (pretty sure thats what its called) Anyways, might be my favorite prestige title. What Creque title do you speak of btw?

the one I'm speaking on is simply called "Creque"

Not outright funky, but realyl nice electric keys and sparse soulful playing on most tracks. Pretty solid LP

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    cosign on Lateef

I'm a fan of Eddie Jefferson, he's not for everybody though...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Neal Creque is not quality

looking for funky on Prestige is like looking for pizza in Texas

or a cheesesteak in LA

Cheesesteak in Vegas is a whole different story. North LV got that 24 hour cheesesteak spot thats pure grub.

as for Yusef Lateef. Got that joint on CD. Eric Dolphy joints are on CD too.

As for Neal Creque we just gotta agree to disagree on that.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

the one I'm speaking on is simply called "Creque"

Not outright funky, but realyl nice electric keys and sparse soulful playing on most tracks. Pretty solid LP

Thats on Cobblestone.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I heard they are hiring reviewers at Dustygroove...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Whhoooops I missed the 'funky' part, I was about to start talking Mose Allison's first record and shit...

• can we get a moratorium on looking for 'funky post punk' or 'funky prestige' or 'folk funk' or 'funky minimal techno' or anything else that is really just a blatantly reductivist way of looking at what may be an interesting form of music ON ITS OWN TERMS??? shit is fucking embarrassing.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    can we get a moratorium on looking for 'funky post punk' or 'funky prestige' or 'folk funk' or 'funky minimal techno' or anything else that is really just a blatantly reductivist way of looking at what may be an interesting form of music ON ITS OWN TERMS??? shit is fucking embarrassing.

shoegazer

• rusty bryant fire eater you assholes.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    can we get a moratorium on looking for 'funky post punk' or 'funky prestige' or 'folk funk' or 'funky minimal techno' or anything else that is really just a blatantly reductivist way of looking at what may be an interesting form of music ON ITS OWN TERMS??? shit is fucking embarrassing.

Italo modern soul: can I get some recommendations?

• You need Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds.

Big 10-4 on that.

Man, where to start? So many super-heavy facemelting heaters on Prestige. How about Charles McPhearson Horizons, Eric Kloss Consiousness, Pat Martino East! -- I'm pretty bad at thinking of records when I'm not in front of them. Sorry, Ad*m.

I'll hit you with more.

• hey! have you ever listened to sonny criss?

dude is radical too.

• Idris Muhammad "peace and rhthym" (pretty sure thats what its called) Anyways, might be my favorite prestige title. What Creque title do you speak of btw?

word it's pretty decent, kind of a one-tracker though. I guess you can say it's SPIRITUAL JAZZ FANKY-NESS

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

when was the last time you smiled?

THIS

is not funky

(but it's extremely dope)

dude is radical too.

Shit, there's another one! Sonny Criss Chasing the Sun, oh, and also, Gene Ammons Jungle Soul.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

S****,

I hear you loud and clear, doggee. shit is just ridiculous. yall are starting to sound like ravers breaking down the 20 subgenres of house music.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

S****,

I hear you loud and clear, doggee. shit is just ridiculous. yall are starting to sound like ravers breaking down the 20 subgenres of house music.

you see the thing about this is youre acting like youre high and mighty. As if youre so frustrated with people asking questions about music on a music website that it hurts you. If your skin is that thin than I suggest not participating in threads like this.

Shit talk for the sake of trying to maintain some sort of internet music bully role is pretty whack.

do you walk up in other peoples conversations and tell them they are talking about stuff your "so over" often?

peoples need musical hoagies STAT

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    and before I get a bunch of New Yorkers jumping down my throat on some "don't be mean" stuff this goes for anyone who thinks that they are really contributing by being a simple shit talker

• Adam, that's cool and all but it glosses over the fact that your post was kind of missing the forest for the trees.

The DonkeyButtHerbicide has a point, which is that if you look at every type of music through "Funk" lenses you will miss the best parts of it all.

The best records on Prestige are not funky.

• And before you jump down my throat on some don't be mean I just recommended 4 records that are not super rare but that you don't own.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    People need to stay on topic.

As for one of my favorite Prestige titles:

Charles Kynard: Wa-tu-Wa-Uzi.

(And yeah, that Creque was on Cobblestone)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    and before I get a bunch of New Yorkers jumping down my throat on some "don't be mean" stuff this goes for anyone who thinks that they are really contributing by being a simple shit talker

I know you ain't talking about me, son--I am one of the most complex and stylistically advanced schitt talkers in the game!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

never said they were. However I felt like asking about those that were funky only to be met with some "youre missing the point of music" garbage.

I've got my Yusef Lateefs, My Sonny Criss LP's and so on. If I wanted to ask about great jazz titles on the label I would of started a post called "great jazz titles on the prestige label"

IMO trying to state that ones tastes are superior to others based on a question and not on a statement is pretty idiotic

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Adam, that's cool and all but it glosses over the fact that your post was kind of missing the forest for the trees.

The DonkeyButtHerbicide has a point, which is that if you look at every type of music through "Funk" lenses you will miss the best parts of it all.

What are some jazz records that are so funky they don't sound like jazz?!