Bomb L.A. spots to eat at....??!???!

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Alright dudes, I'm going to be in L.A. next weekend (peep the anouncements section in a few). Anyways everytime we go we never know where to eat. The only bomb spot we always make an effort to peep is Mario's which is located close to a Winchell's donuts or some shit.the only criteria is that the place has to be extra tasty for a vegetarian and a non-vegetarian.I'M LOOKING AT YOU SHIG [/b].

Comments

• ROSCOE'S[/b]

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Hmmmmm...

Ya done!

That book gives EXTREMELY good advice on where to eat - including Mario's which you mentioned above (at the corner of Rossmore and Melrose). But if you don't feel like hitting up a book store - here's what I can tell you.

SUSHI: Sushi Nozawa. 11288 Ventura Blvd in Studio City. Only get Omakase (let him choose for you - it's the best sushi there is - period.)

Joan's on Third: 8530 West 3rd St (5 blocks east of La Cienega) Illy lunch spot - TURKEY MEATLOAF sandwich - know it's not what you'd typically order - but trust me - this shocks everyone. ILL salads for the vegetarian too.

Alcove: 1929 Hillhurst Ave. Highly reccomended for breakfast and lunch - super ill sandwiches and salads - real dope.

If you're trying to do mega baller status shit - hit The Hump at the Santa Monica Airport for weird Japanese food. Shit's RIDICULOUS - but the bill is too.

• ROSCOE'S[/b]

dude....what am I going to eat? frickin' waffles? plus I heard that is some overpriced tourist shit.

• whats your budget? are there any specific ethnicities you are looking for? what area will you be staying?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Fairfax avenue is your spot

Eithiopian section got grub for days

Cantors up the street has Jewy goodness

I'm big on Happy Family veggie chinese food in Monterey park

A while back I went to at at this good Brazilian spot with Justin and Funky Example. I think it was on Santa Monica east of La Brea

hit me up when you get to town

• whats your budget? are there any specific ethnicities you are looking for? what area will you be staying?

Yeah I left that blank so I could get a wide range of recomendations. Not trying to break too much bread (10-15 a plate), I'm a vegetarian but my boy isn't, any ethnicities is fine (well maybe nothign from the eastern block, scottland or some shit...) and I don't know where we'll be staying. All I know is that we'll be at 33 1/3, Fullerton University, and Stacks in Cerritos.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    [Fullerton University

Thats my neck of the woods. Nothing too crazy out there. Get ready for some Chipotle & Pick up Stix

• [Fullerton University

Thats my neck of the woods. Nothing too crazy out there. Get ready for some Chipotle & Pick up Stix

=

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    Zankou chicken

• your highness![/b]

dude! well, i just had me a macrobiotic lunch the other day with jeffie graff and ms. graff at M cafe. seriously, good grub for the vegetesbians. [jeffie, make sure you tell ms. graff]

cerritos got the ILL indian food. like seriously. ive only been taken to spots but artesia blvd. is where you want to be.

garden grove is real close and they got a grip of good vietnamese spots.

oh, muslim chinese food in full effect out in the san gabriel valley. kinda far from where you are. grubalicious though.

33 1/3 is right close to lil ethiopia. dj sweat bean [aka asprin] can fill you in on what's what.

i dont know where fullerton is, but im guessing somewhere's in the OC? gotta be some veggie friendly joints out there.

anyways, let me hollar at my zen foodists and compile a list.

Zankou chicken

Just don't talk to anyone for the next few days. You'll breath will melt their face.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Eithiopian section got grub for days

name names...

i drive past the 50 restaurants on the two block strip that makes up lil ehtiopia, knowing there's good food surrounding me, but clueless as how to find out which spots are legit

also, just for measure, roscoes is great. not a tourist trap. prolly not a great rec for veggie heads but...

• oh hell yeah!

there's a middle eastern spot on santa monica near normandie called marouch. great food. im talking that nuts and honey grub. fresh cucumbers, babaganoush, that parsley salad stuff, samosas. deeeefuckinglicious. plus your homey can hook up the spiced meats [no ayo] and baked quail. good good shit.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    your highness![/b]

dude! well, i just had me a macrobiotic lunch the other day with jeffie graff and ms. graff at M cafe. seriously, good grub for the vegetesbians. [jeffie, make sure you tell ms. graff]

grubbed here for the first time last night after hearing a week of my friend fawning (sp?) over the place. yeah,,, it's good.

• yeah. apparently its been getting a lot more hype due to some hollywood types wetting their fiorucci panties over it. well, this is what i was told. but hey, great food none the less!

• damn....I also forget to see if you dudes can give it a "Hollywood" rating. Like 1-5 trucker caps. 5 being you'll see extremely good looking waiters and wannabee big-shots on thur cellphones or "1" and you'll see HI-C working the register or some shit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    5 being you'll see extremely good looking waiters

(sorry, i had to)

• dogg, my hipster gaydar is way on the fritz since i moved down here. i mean, seeing 50 year old women with 8 pound titties and a trucker hat really skews your perception of what is hip. so take this with a grain of salt.

M cafe isnt necessarily hipster, per se, but it is on melrose and you WILL run into these types. when i went it was mostly gay dudes and rich folks.

marouch is in east hollywood and ive only seen armenian families and dates at this spot.

the muslim chinese food spot is definately not a hipster hang out.

neither is garden grove.

you might spot some hottie hindis down on artesia, but cerritos is more of a mall chic type of town.

ps
    koreatown, widely thought of as a korean neighborhood, is predominantly central american. im talking honduran, ecuadorian, el salvadorian. if you know what youre looking for, youll prolly find your homie shit here...

• 5 being you'll see extremely good looking waiters

(sorry, i had to)

ha, I know some waiter chicks that hate the term "waitress" so they go with "waiter", it's like same with female's calling themselves "actors" instead of "actresses". I wonder if that has anything to do with most waiters in L.A. being actors.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Actually I was pretty dissapointed with Cantors... Pricey and portions are mediocre. But I was looking for an NYC style Jewish deli and it just wasn't that.

for real though the jamaican spot next door to the store called Wi Jammin is pretty dope and not too bad on the wallet.

if your vegetarian (which I guess cancels Roscoe's), then definately hit little ethiopia lots of vegan over there.

Also the Farmers Market at the Grove has some killer Brazillian food, fried plantains and all. Better than Versaille.

If you aren't vegetarian then definately hit up Versailles for their Garlic Chicken, its off the hook...

cosign on shig's comments...

• Thinking about these places will make me nostalgic....and hungry. I don't live in LA anymore!

Hollywood area:

Paru's on Sunset (block or so east of Harvard) is south indian veggy style...super yummy. it might be dinner only these days. You ring a bell to get in and Cannon the dude who runs the place, is super friendly.

Also, Paru's is deathly close to Zankou's. The garlic sauce that comes in a tubb is insane, you must get it with pita bread and eat Lots of garlic sauce with a little pita bread. Do not plan to meet someone you want to take home that night- the stench will leak from your pores but it will be WORTH IT. Pay high attention to the amount of eyeliner and eyebrow pencils the Zankou ladies adorn.

Also, on Hollywood BLVD there should be some new vegan cafe a block or so west of Western.

Further north of Hollywood:
    On Cahuenga there is a fasty-food joint called Vegan Express. It is down and dirty, fast simple and cheap. The last time I was there so was Anthony Keidis, if you're into that sorta thing.

Further further north of Hollywood, if you have some gawd-awful reason to head there, exit 101 on Victory and head east (something like that) and across from an XXX video place is a mexican restaurant that has vegetarian mexican food, PIZZA, and non vegetarian food and one amazingly chilly refreshing FLAX SEED TEA. guaranteed to give you a clean #2.

IN THE OC:

In both Costa Mesa and downtown/olde town Santa Ana is this boho cafe called the Gypsy Den. Their food is GOOD. Coffee, cake, sandwiches, veggie lasagna, you get it.... Watch out for velvety curtains and mismatched chairs n stuff like that.

If you go near Monterey Park you'll find crazy amounts of Chinese food and some veggy places like Happy Family. Or wait, isn't there one in Cerritos?

That's all I can think of now, and each are at least worthy of 3.5 trucker hats. There used to be (what's the point of telling????) this great vegetarian co-op style place at the bottom floor of the Asbury in MacArthur Park area, but sadly that's long gone. Maybe there's something there now??

As far as Fullerton goes...
    new place called Sidney's . haven't been there yet...peep it

Back in the day there used to be a place called The Hub...had food/shows/etc. Dunno if it's still around!

Happy grubbin'

• only thing young phonics can eat at canters is the jumbo pickles. and he's already had plenty of that. yukk yukk yukk.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    haha, ok. i definitely feel you on that (nh) but i've never heard that mentioned before.

• in n out
    casa bianca
    canters
    l'il ethiopia
    l'il tokyo
    musso and frank (more expensive but worth it)
    the flowering tree

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Messob[/b] ---- all you need to know about lit'iopia

Be prepared to wait though...

The Farmers Market's got some good selection of Brazillian (pampas), Gumbo etc. spots

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Young P:

I'll throw another vote for Zankou.

And has no one mentioned Oaxacan cuisine in K-Town yet? Holla at that mole sauce.

I personally like Versailles, but mostly b/c there's no good Cuban up here in the Bay.

No burritos if you're attached to the Mission variety.

• i like versailles too...but the black beans have always tasted soapy to me!

CASA BIANCA! YESS!! PIZZA PIE!!

Versailles gets the BIG

EEEHHHHH!

I'm all about constructive criticism though - so for the cuban JUMP OFF - hit El Floridita Carmen on Vine and Fountain in the strip mall. GANGSTER SHIT. Best cuban food in LA in my opinion.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    How to find much of the best food in LA:

the strip mall.

Always

• dude! well, i just had me a macrobiotic lunch the other day with jeffie graff and ms. graff at M cafe. seriously, good grub for the vegetesbians.

DAMNIT!

hahah I thought we talked about this at the 33 store.

just when I thought I had my secret veggie haven, soulstruts resident food buff BLOWS UP THE SPOT AGAIN!