CDJ-1000 BPM HELP (matching acapella to beat)

baseballbaseball 4 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Hi, Does anyone know how to set the BPM on the CDJ-1000, I have an acapella (95bpm) I want to match to a beat (97bpm), and was wondering if it was possible to set it inside the CDJ?I've read the manual, and checked online for help, and asked my friends, and one of them jokingly said "you should ask Paul Nice?" (coz of his black album remix's) And I'm so interested in finding out, that I am taking his advice.So Paul... lace me one time?ThanksLuke

Comments

• THE WRATH OF THE MATH.

• This may be an obvious suggestion, but... how about trusting your ears and doing it "live"?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Yeah man...you need to put the "ear work" in and learn how to do that shit without those BPM #s on your LED display. You'll find that once you can legitimately do it "live" without the help of a digital display, the BPM accuracy ain't always that great anyway...

The beat is a pulse man...fluctuating in tempo...just my advice in becoming a "real" DJ...

you're also talking about doing a mash up (acapella to another beat). Try matching the instrumentals first and then flip to the acapella and slide that shit in where it sounds good...again...a good ear and live manipulation can never be replaced by a BPM machine...unless of course you are a robot. I think you might be...I'm actually a little scared of you...but take my advice and you will no longer be a BORG...

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Yes do it by ear.
    BPM machines are a crutch in my opinion.
    I learned to mix & beatmatch without headphones. I can match beats up in a matter of seconds. Also if you have the track in pro-tools you can match things up in there also.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Yeah man...you need to put the "ear work" in and learn how to do that shit without those BPM #s on your LED display. You'll find that once you can legitimately do it "live" without the help of a digital display, the BPM accuracy ain't always that great anyway...

Definitely. I use Numark Axis9's for my bhangra gigs, and though the BPM counter is helpful, it's only really accurate about half the time. Sometimes I've got two CD beats matched perfectly but one reads 100 while the other reads 120. REAL EARZ KNOW THE DEAL.

you're also talking about doing a mash up (acapella to another beat). Try matching the instrumentals first and then flip to the acapella and slide that shit in where it sounds good

Cosign. Though some might say he's not talking about a "mash-up," he's talking about a blend.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Cosign. Though some might say he's not talking about a "mash-up," he's talking about a blend.

aka "DJing"

• BigSpliff
    dollarbincommon

Reged: 02/07/05
    Loc: Laying a carpet is like making love to a beautiful woman. You check the dimensions, lay her on the floor, pin her down, walk all over her. If you're adventurous you might like to try an underlay

BigSpliff
    dollarbincommon

Loc: Laying a carpet is like making love to a beautiful woman. You check the dimensions, lay her on the floor, pin her down, walk all over her. If you're adventurous you might like to try an underlay

The best ones are too long to fit in the location - I've tried!

MAKING COFFEE: Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak. And then you put in the milk.

LAYING A CARPET: Laying a carpet is... very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You check the dimensions, lay her out on the floor, pin her down, walk all over her. If you're adventurous - like me - you might like to try an underlay.

HANGING WALLPAPER: Well, hanging wallpaper is also very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Clean all the relevant surfaces, spread her out on the table, cover her with paste, and stick her up. Then you clean your brush, light your pipe, stand back and admire your handiwork.

PUTTING UP A TENT: Putting up a tent, is... very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You rent her, unzip the door, put up your pole an'... slip in to the old bag.

WASHING A CAR: Washing a car, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You've got to caress the bodywork. Breathe softly and gently. And give every inch of it your loving attention. And make sure you've got a nice wet sponge.

ANSWERING THE PHONE: Answering the phone, is... a little like making love to a beautiful woman. In that you've gotta... lift the receiver, put it to your ear, speak ...loudly and clearly ... oh, yes - and don't forget to state your name.

BEING IN THERAPY
    And yet, having therapy is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You ... get on the couch, string 'em along with some half-lies and evasions, probe some deep dark holes, and then hand over all your money.

BEING IN A CRASH: Going to the brink of death and back, in a nine car pile-up on a dual carriage-way, is ... very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, brace yourself, hold on tight - particularly if it's a rear-ender. And pray you make contact with her twin airbags as soon as possible.

GOING FISHING: Of course, As you know, I'm a very keen fisherman myself. You know, I've
    often thought that going fishing was very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, clean and inspect your tackle, carefully pull back your rod over, and remove any dirt or gunge that may have built up whilst not in use. Then, extend your rod to its full length, and check that there are no kinks or any wear. Particularly at the base, where the grip is usually applied. Make sure you've got a decent float, the appropriate bait, and that there's plenty of shot in your bag.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Seriously, is there a difference? What's the definitional difference between a blend and a mash up?

• Cosign. Though some might say he's not talking about a "mash-up," he's talking about a blend.

Seriously, is there a difference? What's the definitional difference between a blend and a mash up?

I believe it's a cultural distinction instead of a technical one:

blend: something dj's having been doing since way back

mashup : hipster shit

• BigSpliff
    dollarbincommon

The best ones are too long to fit in the location - I've tried!

MAKING COFFEE: Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak. And then you put in the milk.

LAYING A CARPET: Laying a carpet is... very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You check the dimensions, lay her out on the floor, pin her down, walk all over her. If you're adventurous - like me - you might like to try an underlay.

HANGING WALLPAPER: Well, hanging wallpaper is also very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Clean all the relevant surfaces, spread her out on the table, cover her with paste, and stick her up. Then you clean your brush, light your pipe, stand back and admire your handiwork.

PUTTING UP A TENT: Putting up a tent, is... very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You rent her, unzip the door, put up your pole an'... slip in to the old bag.

WASHING A CAR: Washing a car, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You've got to caress the bodywork. Breathe softly and gently. And give every inch of it your loving attention. And make sure you've got a nice wet sponge.

ANSWERING THE PHONE: Answering the phone, is... a little like making love to a beautiful woman. In that you've gotta... lift the receiver, put it to your ear, speak ...loudly and clearly ... oh, yes - and don't forget to state your name.

BEING IN THERAPY
    And yet, having therapy is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You ... get on the couch, string 'em along with some half-lies and evasions, probe some deep dark holes, and then hand over all your money.

BEING IN A CRASH: Going to the brink of death and back, in a nine car pile-up on a dual carriage-way, is ... very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, brace yourself, hold on tight - particularly if it's a rear-ender. And pray you make contact with her twin airbags as soon as possible.

GOING FISHING: Of course, As you know, I'm a very keen fisherman myself. You know, I've
    often thought that going fishing was very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First of all, clean and inspect your tackle, carefully pull back your rod over, and remove any dirt or gunge that may have built up whilst not in use. Then, extend your rod to its full length, and check that there are no kinks or any wear. Particularly at the base, where the grip is usually applied. Make sure you've got a decent float, the appropriate bait, and that there's plenty of shot in your bag.

He was the only character I liked in the fast show......

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    A mash-up is a uk-ish term for a blend that is already pressed up on wax.

A blend is the same shit but done live.. and its been done since way back in the days. Since way back when jackson was an itch in his dads nutsack.

Correct me if I'm talkin shit, but I think that was pretty damn accurate... apart from the Jackson bit.

Big cosign on the BPM counting is not the way thing... its all about doing it by ear... a bit of natural rhythm and a bit of practice and you'll be the shit, yo.

• Big cosign on the BPM counting is not the way thing... its all about doing it by ear... a bit of natural rhythm and a bit of practice and you'll be the shit, yo.

I'm sorry man, but to each his own. But dissing on someone for bpming their records is sorta :weaksuace. BPMing is a great way to really know your records.

A mash-up is a recent[/b] uk-ish term for a blend that is already pressed up on wax.

There were proto "mashups" pressed onto wax in the 70s (like Began wassisname), and textbook mashups in the early 90s (Easygroove pressed a straight mix of Please Don't Stand In My Way + The Prodigy's first XL release in 1991)

And no one's ever really mashed it up like Bambaata

BPMing is a great way to really know your records.

I thought this was about CDDJing... If you're too lazy to lug wax, you can at least do a bit of beatmatching yerself.

BPMing records for knowledge sake = personal style. The records I have where somebody has previously written the BPM on the cover, I don't pay much attention to it. However, I have a bunch of records that used to belong to an NY DJ who graded all his tunes out of 5. So "Med/Rock 4+" is guaranteed shite.

He was the only character I liked in the fast show......

Dave Angel, Eco-Warrior

BPMing is a great way to really know your records.

The best way to know any track is to listen to it. Thats what its there for.

Otherwise, you could get a set in a club where they have no BPM counter and you'd be screwed.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Big cosign on the BPM counting is not the way thing... its all about doing it by ear... a bit of natural rhythm and a bit of practice and you'll be the shit, yo.

I'm sorry man, but to each his own. But dissing on someone for bpming their records is sorta :weaksuace. BPMing is a great way to really know your records.

Labeling your BPMs is fine...anyone can count for 60 seconds...

Does anyone know how to set the BPM on the CDJ-1000, I have an acapella (95bpm) I want to match to a beat (97bpm), and was wondering if it was possible to set it inside the CDJ?

...which dude has obiously done...he just doesn't seem to know the fundamentals of beatmatching since he can't make 95 hit on time with 97...

chances are if you can beatmatch on wax you can beatmatch on a CJD without looking at the BPM display...the display has become a crutch for him because he's looking at his two CDJs and saying to himself..."they both say 95...but I don't sound like Paul Nice...how come?" He needs to put work in...period...labelling is fine...its something I'm beginning to stray away from now that I can do it by ear most of the time, but like dyde said, it's a great way to get to know your wax...

• milomilo 49 Posts
    FUCK THE DUMB

your man's login name is 'baseball.' that is all you have to know.

Actually, thinking about it...... it depends what kind of set you're playing doesn't it. True, each to their own.

Okay, so maybe bpm counting is one way of doing things, but if thats the ONLY way someone knows how to do it then they will find it more of a limitation in the long run.

Knowing the fundamentals is the bottom line tho.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    In my opinion "BPMing" is necissary. Now wheter you actually write it on the record or just keep a general tempo file in your mind garden, that's up to you. I guess the real answer to dudes question on how you make a97 bpm accapela fit a 95 bpm beat is to use the pitch control to slow down the faster track or speed up the slower one. I don't know if anyone said it this way b4 in this thread, if so sorry.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    FUCK THE DUMB

your man's login name is 'baseball.' that is all you have to know.

Baseball is the thinking man's game.