Options

Chappele's Show postponed again..

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    what is the deal with the rick james episode?
    is rick pissed about it or what?!?!

• :confession: i have not that seen that episode in its entirety

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    :confession: i was unaware that rick james is no longer with us

?

• :confession: i was unaware that rick james is no longer with us

?

ya know, i have been spending a lil too much time in my own private mind garden lately.

what year is it again?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

?

ya know, i have been spending a lil too much time in my own private mind garden lately.

what year is it again?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Chances are your mind garden is a lot nicer than the crap-tank the rest of us live in.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

?

what year is it again?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Chances are your mind garden is a lot nicer than the crap-tank the rest of us live in.

Speak for yourself man.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yo that show is not even that funny. There I said it. Chappelle's a GREAT stand-up comedian and "Killing Them Softly" still ranks as the best stand-up routine ever. But that show has exactly one funny sketch per episode. And the rapper cameos are always hella contrived. A decent show. I won't miss it though.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Not that I think his show sucks, but it's so incredibly uneven that I can hardly think it's great, either. For every sketch like the Law and Order parody (fantastic), there's two or three that are basically "White people have names like Lenny, whereas Black people have names like Carl." Lowbrow humor is fine, but that shit gets old fast.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    [White people have names like Lenny, whereas Black people have names like Carl.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yo that show is not even that funny. There I said it. Chappelle's a GREAT stand-up comedian and "Killing Them Softly" still ranks as the best stand-up routine ever. But that show has exactly one funny sketch per episode. And the rapper cameos are always hella contrived. A decent show. I won't miss it though.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Not that I think his show sucks, but it's so incredibly uneven that I can hardly think it's great, either. For every sketch like the Law and Order parody (fantastic), there's two or three that are basically "White people have names like Lenny, whereas Black people have names like Carl." Lowbrow humor is fine, but that shit gets old fast.

Wow

I'm starting to get the impression we're not all watching the same show here

• Who else asked RZA and GZA to be funny.

Jim Jarmusch

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Speak for yourself man.

That kid's face is making my stomach feel not that good. Must be great to be part of someone's joke. Where's this photo from?

Where's this photo from?

The Vermont State Fair. It's a pic I took. That face reflects the energy he's exerting while pushing. No joke, just cultural documentation.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Where's this photo from?

The Vermont State Fair. It's a pic I took. That face reflects the energy he's exerting while pushing. No joke, just cultural documentation.

Young Ashton:

Are these the type of people you get them crazy rare records from? If so then the county fair is the new craigs list.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

hat face reflects the energy he's exerting while pushing. No joke, just cultural documentation.

he's not pushing there. from the looks of it, he's lifting himself off the ground or propping himself on the back of the wheelchair "pegs"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Are spandex diapers the new fashion trend in Vermont??

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

hat face reflects the energy he's exerting while pushing. No joke, just cultural documentation.

he's not pushing there. from the looks of it, he's lifting himself off the ground or propping himself on the back of the wheelchair "pegs"

yo, thats fucked up. was that lady born with no knees? man.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    hopefully he aint turning into the real Tyrone Biggums

there's some truth to the above comment....

the interesting news is that Mr. Complex was writing for the show.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Who else asked RZA to be funny.

• hat face reflects the energy he's exerting while pushing. No joke, just cultural documentation.

I wonder why she has such a deathgrip on that bag. The dude with the comic book must be trying to get at the contents.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    last week i got an e-mail to RSVP for some alleged tapings of CS for 2 shows on both fri & sat.
    supposedly, they were to tape earlier in the week, which i think was the recent beginning of them pushing back of his series. he didn't s how up to ones earlier in the week, and so the ones on the weekend were to make up for that. well, those ended up being cancelled, too.

a friend of mine who works in entertainment news told me that DC had a "meltdown" and people aren't sure EXACTLY what it is. some say it's the pressures from comedy central to do whatever it is. some say it's the drugs. this source had also mentioned that DC was converting to islam (?!), but who really knows? so all this taping bidness has been put on hold...

until i hear from a source today that DC is deading the show altogether.

i dunno what the streets are saying, but this dude basically put it like paul mooney did about "the white people taking everything. watch yo back."

and there's your hollywood minute.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• Outside of drugs, creative stagnation, and whatever else, DC has never had a real firm grip on being a popular funny man. Who knows what the final straw was. He'd been having trouble even in his stand up with people yelling IM RICK JAMES BITCH at him. He'd get pissed, walk off or spend the whole stand-up making fun of the audience. People don't understand why he doesn't want to run the rick james skit any more to keep memories of him positive now that the man's dead. People really didn't get a lot of what he was about other than catchphrases, and DC obviously started hating what he created, and as a creative person, that's a hard place to be. Even on the show he looked like he was having the most fun on skits that were the most impromptu. He had a few quality skits, but sometimes he was struggling for inspiration. (I wonder if the full choir rendition of "diarheia" made it on the DVD?) Anyways hope he pulls it together. Plus I can't watch any of season 2 any more

• hat face reflects the energy he's exerting while pushing. No joke, just cultural documentation.

Damn... I don't know what is up with me tonight, but I am feeling hyper sensitive to the shit you people are posting...

This picture almost made me cry.

Not so much that the woman is so obese, but that someone snapped a picture of her right in front of her kids. Poor her and her family... man, just going to the fair must take courage like a mothertrucker...

That's on some Gilbert Grape type shit... And the woman looks kind as hell...

Damn...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I agree

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i'd like to think drugs have nothing to do with it. i think it's a fucked up thing that whenever a (black?) celeb is suffering from emotional difficulties that the media always resorts to the "oh he must be on drugs" analysis.

really it's not like this response came out of nowhere, we've been watching his frusturations with the show pile up ever since he started doing it. He probably expected it to be this little cult venue where he could do whatever the fuck he wants and a few people would laugh and that'd be it. He failed to account for the permanance of the medium - a stand up routine ends when you leave the stage, a tv show exists forever through reruns, dvd sales, etc. and as a result he's suffering from catchphraseitis.

I also think it's foolish that he tries to singlehandedly carry a sketch comedy show with virtually no visible (or at least funny) supporting cast (aside from the bit parts from charlie murphy & paul mooney) and only one other writer. creative control is one thing, but, again, television comedy is not standup. other celebrity driven shows - ben stiller, richard pryor, chris rock all succeeded because of great writers and performers outside of the celeb. and you can see the show, and no doubt dave's sanity suffer from that approach.

pre-chappelle show, he was one of the funniest AND most comfortable comedians i've ever seen. that said, there are very few things i've ever enjoyed about his show. which is a shame, because he's incredibly talented.

I agree

Insensitive asshole checking in.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I agree

Insensitive asshole checking in.

Nah, it is what it is. I was more so agreeing with him about bugging on this place last night in general. But it is kind of bugged to take a picture of a real life Gilbert Grape.

Hi Nate!

I guess I won't post up the "funny" pictures.

FYI. She was walking around when I saw her later in the evening. She had mad skills on the ring/bottle toss.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    i'd like to think drugs have nothing to do with it. i think it's a fucked up thing that whenever a (black?) celeb is suffering from emotional difficulties that the media always resorts to the "oh he must be on drugs" analysis.

really it's not like this response came out of nowhere, we've been watching his frusturations with the show pile up ever since he started doing it. He probably expected it to be this little cult venue where he could do whatever the fuck he wants and a few people would laugh and that'd be it. He failed to account for the permanance of the medium - a stand up routine ends when you leave the stage, a tv show exists forever through reruns, dvd sales, etc. and as a result he's suffering from catchphraseitis.

I also think it's foolish that he tries to singlehandedly carry a sketch comedy show with virtually no visible (or at least funny) supporting cast (aside from the bit parts from charlie murphy & paul mooney) and only one other writer. creative control is one thing, but, again, television comedy is not standup. other celebrity driven shows - ben stiller, richard pryor, chris rock all succeeded because of great writers and performers outside of the celeb. and you can see the show, and no doubt dave's sanity suffer from that approach.

pre-chappelle show, he was one of the funniest AND most comfortable comedians i've ever seen. that said, there are very few things i've ever enjoyed about his show. which is a shame, because he's incredibly talented.

Co-sign on all counts. Good point on him being the creativity behind the whole show. Another guy who writes his own material (at least for movies), Michael Myers, he a similar response to people going nuts on his catchphrases. In inside the actors studio he was just like, "I did what I wanted... I didn't think anybody else other than my dad would think it was funny."

Dave obviously didn't think that things would take off on comedy central like they did. You could see him getting more pissed every time he would do his stand-up. And not being able to buy groceries without somebody doing a lil' john impression at him, that's got to grate.

The DRUGS thing is ridiculous. I have no doubt Dave has done some shit in his time, but to jump to the conclusion that his recent trouble is because of DRUGS is kinda cliche. I hope that's not the case.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Co-sign on all counts. Good point on him being the creativity behind the whole show. Another guy who writes his own material (at least for movies), Michael Myers, he a similar response to people going nuts on his catchphrases. In inside the actors studio he was just like, "I did what I wanted... I didn't think anybody else other than my dad would think it was funny."

yeah and i think myers embraced the repeatition that chapelle is rejecting right now and as a result we got drivel like "goldmember" fucking up what was initially a pretty funny concept (and a pretty much untarnished comedic track record to that point). I rather chappelle not do another season at all than get a rick james pt. 17.

And not being able to buy groceries without somebody doing a lil' john impression at him, that's got to grate.

there was a time where i couldn't buy groceries without hearing "i'm rick james bitch", I can only imagine what they did to him.