Would you do it for YOUR Amy?

2»

Comments

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    they should cast jimmy fallon in a romantic comedy about how his loved one forces him to sell all his records on ebay only for her to buy them from him to appreciate his romantic gesture.

but this guy is a limey, so let's say hugh grant.

Allo, um, er...this is...um...rather *ahem*, well, quite hard to do...you see...well, music is...well, its my love...but, you see...it's hard...hmm...i'm really, um, er, not quite sure...it's really rather...well.....

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    they should cast jimmy fallon in a romantic comedy about how his loved one

Dude, this is High Fidelity, the book, except that this guy can't plan more than one move in advance.

Everything about this auction is wrong. This guy has no clear motive for selling his shit, yet he has a system of events planned out whereby selling his records he will somehow sset this plan in motion. First, he needs money, then it's a bizarre Jesus-esque gesture. What he believes his motives to be and what they are don't coincide. This is a sign of someone in mental distress or someone with mental illness. I hope Brits go to therapy, because he needs multiple sessions on the couch.

I also only saw about five hundred records.
    I would bet that this guy has read the book High Fidelity about 30 times. Cause fact and fiction are intertwined.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    This dude needs to sort his shit out.

If he sells his soul and his girl STILL says no, then hes going to be RIGHT in the shit - He wont even be able to listen to his shit to sort his mind out!!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Aside from laughing at this fucking guy, this:

they should cast jimmy fallon in a romantic comedy about how his loved one forces him to sell all his records on ebay only for her to buy them from him to appreciate his romantic gesture.

and this:

Allo, um, er...this is...um...rather *ahem*, well, quite hard to do...you see...well, music is...well, its my love...but, you see...it's hard...hmm...i'm really, um, er, not quite sure...it's really rather...well.....

had me rolling

I think it's all been said, but this dude is the epitome of whipped.

How is your girl going to respect you when you bow down like that?

sincerely,

Chumpy McChumperstein

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I think it's all been said, but this dude is the epitome of whipped.
    How is your girl going to respect you when you bow down like that?

In the Players Handbook, there is a picture of this sucker next to the glossary entry for "Trick Husband"[/b]

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    This is ridiculous...Amy needs to drop this dude and get with someone who has their money right (it doesn't have to be a lot of loot, just enough so that his record buying doesn't impede him from paying rent, eating, taking her out occasionally, etc) AND own a sizable collection. Those guys DO exist. The fact he needs to dump his collection to buy her something (probably a decent engagement ring) raises a red flag for me. What's he going to auction to pay for his honeymoon? His kidney?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    This is ridiculous...Amy needs to drop this dude and get with someone who has their money right (it doesn't have to be a lot of loot, just enough so that his record buying doesn't impede him from paying rent, eating, taking her out occasionally, etc) AND own a sizable collection. Those guys DO exist. The fact he needs to dump his collection to buy her something (probably a decent engagement ring) raises a red flag for me. What's he going to auction to pay for his honeymoon? His kidney?

Yup.

I think it's funny that folks are thinking that this is really about "records" at all. Hell, people dump collections(LIFELONG collections) all the time! How else do the Pearsons and Jinx's of the world, or half the people on here get the shit that they do? I'm HAPPY he's dumping good material back into the stream, personally.

But if all that smack is not just a marketing ploy, then his head is screwed up far beyond what records will/or will not do for him. Everyone in here will someday be divested of much of their collections, wether due to loss of interest, or just plain growing old and being moved to a retirement home. It ain't about the records and it ain't about "Amy". Dude's got issues. If you gotta sell your records for financial reasons, that's just how it is. No biggie. You wanna just clear the lot and clear your mind? Fine. But don't go putting it on someone else's shoulders. That's what is called "a Bitch move" in the real world.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    And bottom line, you know they say if you truly love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it was meant to be.

Why don't you set your vinyl free to me? Let's see if it comes back.

Amy needs to drop this dude and get with someone who has their money right (it doesn't have to be a lot of loot, just enough so that his record buying doesn't impede him from paying rent, eating, taking her out occasionally, etc) AND own a sizable collection AND own a fruity pink striped shirt.[/b] Those guys DO exist.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Something tells me that this is not a "collection" but rather a "random assemblage of crap".

And does anybody besides me think that there is something ayolicious about the descriptor "soul boy"?

Something tells me that this is not a "collection" but rather a "random assemblage of crap".

Signed Roy Ayers + 8999 copies of Michael Franks' Art of Tea.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    It's a very likely possiblity that he's been selling records for awhile and has been left with a crapload of records from collections/whatever that aren't worth enough to sell off individually. So he cooks up this ebay auction, mentioning "Amy" and "Soul" an indecent amount of times, and throws in a mention of one Roy Ayers LP. I'll bet that if you went to view the collection, he'd just allow you to pick around for a quick sec or look from the door and not touch. Then he'd ask you to pay or go. Gettin' rid of the fat he bought with the meat.*

*If by chance this really is his entire collection, and the objective is actually a plea to Amy, the guy has totally lost it.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Why don't you set your vinyl free to me? Let's see if it comes back.

HA!

Sayin why I'm all for these limp turds selling shit to please some dumpy hag. So romantic.

I don't get it. So dude sells his little collection and marries this bitch. So after this he cannot buy anymore records? Or is going to start over?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    MASSIVE SOUL FUNK JAZZ COLLECTION 9000 RECORDS

OVER EIGHT AND A HALF THOUSAND RECORDS

RECKON NEARER 10,000

= No idea how many records he has. Everyone here who buys collection has driven long distance to see "9,000 records" only to get there and see 2 crates.

??40,000

= an average of 8 dollars a record at full retail. Meaning loads of crap.

I HAVE BEEN SELLING ON EBAY FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS

= all the good stuff has been sold, because they don't mean that much to me.

THE ONLY THING I HAVE LEFT TO GIVE OTHER THAN MY LIFE IS MY SOUL MUSIC COLLECTION. THE RECORDS ARE NOW IN STORAGE IN EXETER

= These are so meaningful to me I keep them in storage.

= fuzy picture to hide the fact this is a load of shop worn junk.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

= fuzy picture to hide the fact this is a load of shop worn junk.

i dunno dan, that red one looks like a headless heroes!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

No, I would absolutely NOT do what this guy is doing. That's not "love" to me.

You're right. And desperation is not a good look on anybody.

Agreed.

I read his post to mean he wants to sell to get the money to take her on a vacation to show his love. "I sold my soul and am taking you to the Sheyshells." That's the kind of thing that freaks women out and makes them run away.

Man, records are just things. THINGS! Love is something else man. Its quite possibly the only thing real in the universe. I think most people would agree that the real joy is in the act of collecting, not merely basking in the glow of your record hoard. Sure theres some rare pieces, but really, how important to you is a 12"? especially today when theres so many other ways to experience and enjoy music?

Music is music. You can never capture it completely. It flows freely like energy. Similarly, once you've heard it, you can never lose it completely, it is soaked into your inner conciousness and permiates your soul. Some people collect records, and to them this would be akin to suicide. The only validation they have for their raging obsession lies in cardboard boxes and crates that litter their house in piles and piles. They long for a greater connection with and understanding of the music they love, so the natural urge is to hoard it the best they can. They confuse their love with the desire to possess or obtain something, and gradually they become detached to the very things that made them love records in the first place.

When you realize the true value of such objects lies in the intagible high of experiencing new music, the articles themselves seem less important. The knowledge will always be with you. And anyone who's been collecting for any serious length of time knows that if you want to listen to something, in most cases you can usually find it again, plus its fun to look!

And bottom line, you know they say if you truly love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it was meant to be.

Would I sell all my records for my wife. In an instant.

But not to prove my love. Our shared love is understood and does not require dramatic acts of self sacrafice. This pathetic fool is trying to get money so he can flash some cash for his Amy like she's some cheap hooker.

Dan

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

But not to prove my love. Our shared love is understood and does not require dramatic acts of self sacrafice. This pathetic fool is trying to get money so he can flash some cash for his Amy like she's some cheap hooker.

Dan

Dan

I think maybe he should consider selling Amy to further his record collection. That's the obvious Soulstrut Choice (tm).

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    I'll buy up Amy if he mislists her, then resell for greater returns