Steppers Mix Tapes?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
PAGING CHICAGOOutside of the popular joints (and what DustyGroove tells me), I know very little of this genre, but I like what I've hear. Anyone know of a good all-steppers mix CD? I'd be down to cop one.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    PAGING CHICAGO

Outside of the popular joints (and what DustyGroove tells me), I know very little of this genre, but I like what I've hear. Anyone know of a good all-steppers mix CD? I'd be down to cop one.

For really real... I'm tired of grown and unsexy 40+ year old women asking me for "step music" but not mentioning a SINGLE artist other than the hoRRoR in R&B.

• ElexElex 22 Posts
    I'm far from an expert, but am a fan of the style. I feel you on the old ladies asking for "The aRua" aka the only person who made a super dumbed down steppers joint into a mega hit. But really though, it's more a sound than an actual genre. By this I mean that anything that fits the beat and mood could potentially qualify. Speaking to a few different OG "steppers set" DJ's I was surprised by their responses to my very same inquiry ("what are the lesser known steppin' cuts I've got to have?"). Their answer...whatever no one else is playing. On the real I was shocked to hear big homie tell me with a straight face that he played a "deep" New Kids on the Block joint at his last dance and murdered the dancefloor! I couldn't help but laugh, but the big homie didn't even flinch, and shrugged it off, leaving me with a "You've got a lot to learn..." Next time I asked the same question and heard the same answer I wasn't surprised anymore. That's real. So while there are certainly staple cuts (which I can't list for you, although it sounds like these weren't the ones you were looking for) the whole phenomenon is based around highly competitive DJ's breaking old songs as "new" steppers cuts. Plus, ever since "Steppin' in the name.." there's been a slew of contemporary artists trying their hand at the style. Anyhow I'm rambling now...

'cue' Lowrell (?) - Mellow Mellow (Right On)

I'm far from an expert, but am a fan of the style. I feel you on the old ladies asking for "The aRua" aka the only person who made a super dumbed down steppers joint into a mega hit. But really though, it's more a sound than an actual genre. By this I mean that anything that fits the beat and mood could potentially qualify. Speaking to a few different OG "steppers set" DJ's I was surprised by their responses to my very same inquiry ("what are the lesser known steppin' cuts I've got to have?"). Their answer...whatever no one else is playing. On the real I was shocked to hear big homie tell me with a straight face that he played a "deep" New Kids on the Block joint at his last dance and murdered the dancefloor! I couldn't help but laugh, but the big homie didn't even flinch, and shrugged it off, leaving me with a "You've got a lot to learn..." Next time I asked the same question and heard the same answer I wasn't surprised anymore. That's real. So while there are certainly staple cuts (which I can't list for you, although it sounds like these weren't the ones you were looking for) the whole phenomenon is based around highly competitive DJ's breaking old songs as "new" steppers cuts. Plus, ever since "Steppin' in the name.." there's been a slew of contemporary artists trying their hand at the style. Anyhow I'm rambling now...

'cue' Lowrell (?) - Mellow Mellow (Right On)

Yeah, I think we basically know this, but what I'm looking for are the names of the actual different cuts that people in chicago consider step classics. Maxwell's ascension seems to kill the step crowd.

BTW, mellow mellow (right on) has never worked for me ever when I play the G&S (growed and sessy) crowds.

• iconicon 86 Posts
    It seems to me that modern soul and stepper's music have a lot of similar appeal, though I would consider stepper's to be a bit on the slower BPM range, like Keni Burke's Risin' to the Top. Cuts like Michael Wycoff's Looking Up to You would fit I would think.

Anyone have any DVD recordings of Stepper's Delight or Can I Step With You? Chicago public access for that assecc.

• I think Dusty Groove got them Steppin' Across The U.S.A.[/b] CDs:

Various -- Steppin Across The USA -- Vol 2 . . . CD . . . $11.99 (Item: 53240)
    Steppin Muzak, Late 70s/1980s/1990s Condition: New Copy View Cart
    Modern soul, R&B, and smooth grooves -- the sound of the Stepper's scene that's been big in Chicago for years, and which seems to be having a bit of pull outside the Windy City these days! Tracks include "Rising Cost of Love" by Loose Change, "Sing A Simple Song" by Identiy Crisis, "The Joneses (12" Mix)" by The Temptations, "Sweet On U" by Lo Key, "Never Say Goodbye To Love" by Rene Moore, "Special Kind Of Fool" by Basic Black, "Mr Fix It" by Jeffree, "Love's Gonna Last" by Jeffree, "Don't Look Any Further" by Dennis Edwards, and "Don't Know Why" by David Ruffin & Eddie Kendricks. (Please note: Some of these tracks were mastered from vinyl.) (From the Funky Compilations CD (M-Z) page.)

(Please note: Some of these tracks were mastered from vinyl.)

I would consider stepper's to be a bit on the slower BPM range, like Keni Burke's Risin' to the Top.

Do people in Chicago step to "risin to the top"? I can't imagine it at all.

• On the real I was shocked to hear big homie tell me with a straight face that he played a "deep" New Kids on the Block joint at his last dance and murdered the dancefloor!

what song was that?

i mean...um...for research...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    what song was that?

I'll check with my man Sam, but my guess would be the long version of "Never Let You Go."

• Some of y'all want to diss R but apparently when you were
    dissing you were missing. Pay attention to what he says
    at the beginning, you can't just have a list of songs.

(You also have to have a long-ass 6-button suit jacket,
    among many other things)

now, now, now --see u got to understand stepping is not just a dance,
    it's a it's a culture--it its the way we live
    --it's what we eat, think and breathe
    you understand me--[/b]

• ClubBurp,

I don't want a list of songs.

I want a mix CD.

What do you even treally know of stepping, outside of stepping in(to) the Marina?

• there's a steppin-friendly spot I go to every once in a while that has a bunch of mixtapes in the front counter, I can check to see if there's some homemade niceties there next time I'm in.

in the meanwhile, you might as well kick back and watch

....there's also this:

...that doesn't look super-deep but might be worth checking out.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    seriosuly though whats the differce between "steppers" music and modern soul "Boogie" music?

are they one in the same?

• seriosuly though whats the differce between "steppers" music and modern soul "Boogie" music?

no dude, they are two separate scenes.

Neither modern soul nor steppers has to do with music per se, they are scenes where the defining records are what were played at those functions.

seriosuly though whats the differce between "steppers" music and modern soul "Boogie" music?

I can hear the difference, but I'm nto sure if I can explain it in musical terms. but definitely two different entities to my ears.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    what song was that?

I'll check with my man Sam, but my guess would be the long version of "Never Let You Go."

EMBARASSINGLY INTIMATE KNOWLEDGE OF NKOTB DISCOGRAPHY REVEALED!

Neither modern soul nor steppers has to do with music per se, they are scenes where the defining records are what were played at those functions.

Is that the only criteria? Alot of songs that people step to sound musically similar to me. Mellow Mellow right and step in the name have almost the same backbeat.

(You also have to have a long-ass 6-button suit jacket,
    among many other things)

Word. I myself am just two or three reasonable payments away from a Pepto-colored zoot with the applejack to match. The finisher would be the set of nugget cufflinks that read "RICE" and "BEANS," but that's for next pay period. To the young: Jerseys are for ball players and assholes--so, you got a game today?

now, now, now --see u got to understand stepping is not just a dance,
    it's a it's a culture--it its the way we live
    --it's what we eat, think and breathe
    you understand me--[/b]

Double word. Steppers' music never ceases to amaze me with its true omnivorousness. To paraphrase DJ Yofuckthatdude, steppers' is not a type of music, but is what you do with the music you hear. And as long as the sound is right, folks do not give a fuck. Which I guess is true of any good crowd, but still--it's beautiful.

What do you even treally know of stepping, outside of stepping in(to) the Marina?

Soff Hogg, you need to not test this man right chere. Despite his Rock N' Roll Garanimal exterior, there beats within him the heart of an Isley. While you're out there tryna scare up seed money for your line of ital swine-based products ("JahBacon," homie? For real? Dude, I don't even know what kind of look that is), The Terruh is crinkling linen all over town. Dude's Whispers crates alone would sink your battleship. I mean, where's your mandarin collar? Ai-ight then.

• seriosuly though whats the differce between "steppers" music and modern soul "Boogie" music?

Is that the only criteria? Alot of songs that people step to sound musically similar to me. Mellow Mellow right and step in the name have almost the same backbeat.

Agreed, but to call that "steppers" versus something else "Modern Soul"... it has to do with the scenes, there's not like a date cut off or regional thing. I think it's basically more about tempo, feeling, and mood. And there is a lot of crossover, I'm sure.

But I believe Guzzo has his own definition for "modern soul", which is somewhat at odds with the real term

what song was that?

EMBARASSINGLY INTIMATE KNOWLEDGE OF NKOTB DISCOGRAPHY REVEALED!

YOU HAVE A STOMACH TATTOO THAT SAYS "WENDY." FALL BACK.

• The finisher would be the set of nugget cufflinks that read "RICE" and "BEANS," but that's for next pay period.

• Soff Hogg, you need to not test this man right chere. Despite his Rock N' Roll Garanimal exterior, there beats within him the heart of an Isley. While you're out there tryna scare up seed money for your line of ital swine-based products ("JahBacon," homie? For real? Dude, I don't even know what kind of look that is), The Terruh is crinkling linen all over town. Dude's Whispers crates alone would sink your battleship. I mean, where's your mandarin collar? Ai-ight then.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

But I believe Guzzo has his own definition for "modern soul", which is somewhat at odds with the real term

you mean theres a real definition for this?!?!

it don't matter, my definition is better anyways

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I can hear the difference, but I'm nto sure if I can explain it in musical terms. but definitely two different entities to my ears.

I'm probably wrong about this, but I tend to think of "steppers" music as being a bit on the slower/midtempo side (95-105 bpm), with lush instrumentation (strings, brass...think the mid-late 70's Philly Sound), while boogie being somewhat faster (105-125 bpm) and more electronic-sounding.

Steppers: Jeffree, Lowrell

Boogie: Khemistry, Carl Carlton circa "Bad Mama Jama"

I'm on the westcoast, so I've never been to a steppers club and am therefore likely incorrect in my assessment.

SG

I'm probably wrong about this, but I tend to think of "steppers" music as being a bit on the slower/midtempo side (95-105 bpm), with lush instrumentation (strings, brass...think the mid-late 70's Philly Sound), while boogie being somewhat faster (105-125 bpm) and more electronic-sounding.

I'm on the westcoast, so I've never been to a steppers club and am therefore likely incorrect in my assessment.

SG

Sounds like what I'm hearing too.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    PAGING CHICAGO

Outside of the popular joints (and what DustyGroove tells me), I know very little of this genre, but I like what I've hear. Anyone know of a good all-steppers mix CD? I'd be down to cop one.

most southside shops will have a decent selection.

but dudes sell them on the low, any official joint you see will only have classics. this site may help

billy idol - 'flesh for fantasy' = stepper

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I haven't checked it out yet but

I have created a steppers streaming music forum. goto www.jetaudio.com click on the JetCast button. Choose the music Genre "R&B" My room is "Chicago Steppers Club" and enjoy.

From the forum of that site you just posted

Also, he goes on...

Heres a pointer to all the new steppers.... NEVER, NEVER EVER HUMP YOUR SHOULDERS UP AND DOWN WHILE STEPPING. Stepping is a gliding dance. If done right you will look like you are gliding on ice.... Awesome!!!

I have been stepping since it started, here in Chicago in 1979, (Yeah but I'm not that old). To give a quick history, stepping is derived from another dance called Bopping. Bopping faded because the beat of music changed and a demand for a different style came about.

It started at teenage parties at schools like Mendle H.S., The Fort on 39th and Drexel. The first steppers were guys dancing with each other because women had not learned the dance yet and some of the competitions were outstanding. Stepping could do nothing but grow and grow it did. (does that make me a pioneer... WOW)

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    It seems to me that modern soul and stepper's music have a lot of similar appeal, though I would consider stepper's to be a bit on the slower BPM range, like Keni Burke's Risin' to the Top. Cuts like Michael Wycoff's Looking Up to You would fit I would think.

Anyone have any DVD recordings of Stepper's Delight or Can I Step With You? Chicago public access for that assecc.

see also: Steppin at Club 7 another Chicago public access show devoted to stepping

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    Plus, ever since "Steppin' in the name.." there's been a slew of contemporary artists trying their hand at the style.

There was a truly great one last fall on the flip of Majic Massey's "Ooo Wee" called "I Got That", produced by No ID.
    Should be available at promo dollar bins everywhere.

SG

Sounds like what I'm hearing too.

A good definition of steppers/boogie i would say

I'm a huge steppers fan and although we're not really associated with the dancing so much (go figure..) there's a lot of my friends who are knee-deep in steppers music at home.

My #1 stepper (no, i don't have the OG 7")

9th creation "mellow music"

/L

• I need an mp3 of that 9th Creation joint...so good...