Records that you previously considered "rare"....

Campag_RecordCampag_Record 238 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
....but ebay has proven otherwise?Sorry, this has probably been raised a few times but I'm intrigued by the effect ebay has actually had on records, especially in the US, that prior to ebay proved impossible to get for you personally (for a reasonable price anyway) by digging in record shops.I don't mean private pressed stuff that was and is still rare but records on major labels that you struggled to pick up, that can be found on ebay pretty much 365 days of the year, and for a relatively low price.I appreciate that if you've been digging for 20+ years then maybe this just isn't the case and ebay has only been useful for records from overseas and "real rarities"?Thanks.

Comments

• The Whispers "Planets Of Life" lp on Janus. Guess it isn't on ebay 365 but I've seen a few go unbid for cheap.

I never see it in the field, and it always seems like someone is looking for it.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I don't understand it, but I have NEVER seen Billy Squire's "Tale of the Tape." It's not like I want it that bad, but it's extremely weird that I have never seen it anywhere for any price in Portland. Yet it's all over ebay for $3.99.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Marvin's Groove and Jason Pew Mosso

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I don't understand it, but I have NEVER seen Billy Squire's "Tale of the Tape." It's not like I want it that bad, but it's extremely weird that I have never seen it anywhere for any price in Portland. Yet it's all over ebay for $3.99.

same here.

• I don't understand it, but I have NEVER seen Billy Squire's "Tale of the Tape." It's not like I want it that bad, but it's extremely weird that I have never seen it anywhere for any price in Portland. Yet it's all over ebay for $3.99.

major co-sign on this - found 1 copy in LA in the 5 years I was doing serious digging, and 1 copy here in NYC in the last 5 years.

"Emotions in Motion" however...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I've had like 8 copies of Tale of The Tape here in NY (including the 12" which I sold for mad cheap), but have only seen From a Whisper to A Scream 2 times. Go figure...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

this is the same situation with Commodores - Machine Gun. ive been looking for about 6 years now and ive only ever even SEEN it once. i bought it, of course.

• Nice thread N*g*l mate, gotta say for me it's got to be all those mid 90's hip hop 12"s that you never see around our neck of the woods but you trip over on ebay every time you go on...

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    I once had a hard time finding Laidbacks album w. white horse
    AND I'M FROM DENMARK!
    After I found a copy, there was one everytime I went digging!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

This record is NOT rare....please sell me all copies for $50.00

• Damn near every hip hop test press ever.

• Cannonball adderley "soul of the bible".

Never seen it in the field, but got multiples of the other two (love, sex & the zodiac and soul zodiac).

I remember seeing it for $100 n shit around the time it was reissued.

Just got a copy off our man Aleit about a week ago. Glad I did, it's by far the best of the three. Better musicianship. Less narration. Twice the LPs.

It isn't a big deal now, Ari did not charge me much. But man for some reason I could not find this record for anything. Not rare by any means but I just never saw it.

• Cannonball adderley "soul of the bible".

Never seen it in the field, but got multiples of the other two (love, sex & the zodiac and soul zodiac).

Just got a copy off our man Aleit about a week ago. Glad I did, it's by far the best of the three. Better musicianship. Less narration. Twice the LPs.

It isn't a big deal now, Ari did not charge me much. But man for some reason I could not find this record for anything. Not rare by any means but I just never saw it.

damn. i dont know about "not rare by any means"
    i dont see that no where at all. i found mine at a flea market, it was sitting by itself propped up against a couple boxes of records. i figured "f*ck, someone beat me to the stack, checked it, its rinked, left it." nope. mint. 50 cents. but ive never seen it again, not even for loot. $100 may be much, but $50 wouldnt be crazy.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Cannonball adderley "soul of the bible".

damn. i dont know about "not rare by any means"
    i dont see that no where at all. i found mine at a flea market, it was sitting by itself propped up against a couple boxes of records. i figured "f*ck, someone beat me to the stack, checked it, its rinked, left it." nope. mint. 50 cents. but ive never seen it again, not even for loot. $100 may be much, but $50 wouldnt be crazy.

i think i had it for $50 or something when i first posted on a set sale list.

i've seen it only one other time- and that's on my shelf.
    it's by far my favorite of that era of Cannonball. Glad you're enjoying, andrew.

t*ny- you're pm's up?

• i think i had it for $50 or something when i first posted on a set sale list.

i've seen it only one other time- and that's on my shelf.
    it's by far my favorite of that era of Cannonball. Glad you're enjoying, andrew.

Yup thanks Ari!!

I got rid of the other two as well. I can take rick holmes to a degree but he just needs to do what he does here and do a little intro then go away. The musicianship on this album is just far better too.

I was kinda surprised to see the price so low. But on ebay it seems to have dropped too. Weird.... in my mind it totally used to be some grail level thing...

• I don't understand it, but I have NEVER seen Billy Squire's "Tale of the Tape." It's not like I want it that bad, but it's extremely weird that I have never seen it anywhere for any price in Portland. Yet it's all over ebay for $3.99.

Hello!

I can agree on the 12" but the album is a (1) * 100 find.

Most 12" of Disco/Breaks classics are hard to catch here nowadays,
    I remember gifting away crates full of those for getting space some years ago :-/

Greetings
    Seb

• Santana Lotus. Had never seen a copy in a store or through the store I worked at for a year. Then in 2005 I found two at the same time for less than $10 each. W hen I was buying them, dude says "this record used to be rare, but now seems like I see them all the time."

Fuck it. Great record. Bought both and one even had an extra set of inserts for my wall.

Peace,
    Cortez

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I was under the impression that bootleg Denise La Salle 12"s went for at least $6, but it appears that they go for a mere fraction of that price!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was under the impression that bootleg Denise La Salle 12"s went for at least $6, but it appears that they go for a mere fraction of that price!!!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Hi-FIVE!!! Let's sniff each other's cracks!

• I once had a hard time finding Laidbacks album w. white horse
    AND I'M FROM DENMARK!
    After I found a copy, there was one everytime I went digging!

Now you can pick up one for cheap and give it to me Jakey-boy

/L

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Hi-FIVE!!! Let's sniff each other's cracks!

In the club!! Kill-of-the-Week club!

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Sure I have a spare for you mate!
    PM me for what release you prefer, US (w. 12" vers)or DK (normal 45 vers)