Elvin Jones: what's good?

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Always liked his drumming in the Coltrane group, and really dig his "Illumination!" album on Impulse!recently noticed he has put out a lot of solo albums on blue note, impulse!, etc. I cant imagine they're all good, esp. the blue note ones look like pretty standard fare.The "dear John C" and "heavy sounds" sets look pretty interesting... are they?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "Heavy Sounds" is an amazing record.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    ELVIN! on Riverside is totally great.

Actually, I can't really think of a complete dud in all the stuff I have heard. His Vanguard LPs are pretty fusiony affairs, but I dig those too.

never heard 'Heavy Sounds', but 'Dear John C' is nice, as is his stuff on Blue Note.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I can Heavy Sounds in a few

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    That is why of all the Hcrink imitators out there, there can only be one original.

You are the Hcrink_iest!

• Just about everything of a certain vintage, really! Heavy sounds is ridiculous and so is the cover. I like the eastern-tinged stuff on blue note in the early 70s.. esp coalition and polycurrents, both pretty easy to score. But I'm not mad at almost anything he's done. With coltrane is classic of course, tho personally I like Rashied Ali better in the group.

• there is always his work with gene perla, and elvin interfacing with the stone alliance/ steve grossman/ jazzfunk types in the 1970s. "merry-go-round," "live at the lighthouse"--these lps.

• Heavy sounds is ridiculous

Shiny Stockings= best brushes solo EVAR

I like Rashied Ali better in the group.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    blue note in the early 70s.. esp coalition and polycurrents, both pretty easy to score.

co-sign, these are my jernts. Dude doesn't really have any bad shit - I even like the mid-70's stuff on Vanguard.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

w/ my man Richard on bass.

Nothing but the highest of recomendations.

• Puttin' It Together is a great session w/ jimmy garison and joe farell.

• Puttin' It Together is a great session w/ jimmy garison and joe farell.

and if you like that session, you'd like this album with the same line up:

• "dear John C"

you need this